[1.1.2] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.5.8

KospY

For one thing, you get a message on load that it's not compatible, and you should stay with 1.0.2.

EDIT: However, it seems to work.

Well no, reading carefully helps. The popup warning says mods listed "may" not be compatible. KSP cannot tell if a mod is compatible. All it can see is if a mod was compiled for version X.

I cant remember where I read it but I was under the impression that the KSP dev's would try not to break mod during minor version updates ie 1.0.2 -> 1.0.3 shouldn't effect mods where 1.0.3 to say 1.1 probably would....

I cant remember where I read it but I was under the impression that the KSP dev's would try not to break mod during minor version updates ie 1.0.2 -> 1.0.3 shouldn't effect mods where 1.0.3 to say 1.1 probably would....

Shouldn't, but might. For example, 1.0.3 implements a DRE-like model of skin temperature. Even if DRE had done _something_ in 1.0.3, it was never going to be a satisfactory outcome.

Well no, reading carefully helps. The popup warning says mods listed "may" not be compatible. KSP cannot tell if a mod is compatible. All it can see is if a mod was compiled for version X.

Not trying to out-pedant you, but the message I was referring to came from KIS/KAS, after the "The following mods may blah blah," and recommended staying with KSP 1.0.2.

Not trying to out-pedant you, but the message I was referring to came from KIS/KAS, after the "The following mods may blah blah," and recommended staying with KSP 1.0.2.

Well can't say I got that message after upgrading, so I was only going off what I had also seen since you had not specified what pop up you encountered.

is there any way to get back to 1.0.2? Steam decided to upgrade me without asking.

I think Steam allows rollbacks. Ask them.

I have my copy through Steam, and I was actually playing when 1.03 came out. So Steam asked me if I wanted to keep playing 1.02 or if I wanted to update. I deferred the update and made a copy of 1.02. You can do that, it still runs fine. (I now have a copy of 0.90, 1.02, and 1.04. They all work.)

Steam's "Beta -> Previous Stable Release" will, in fact, roll back your game. However, it will send you back to 0.90(build 705), NOT 1.0.2

What mikegarrison says regarding copying the game folder is true. I have 1.0.4 and (now) 0.90 on an external drive. None of my mods work on it now, but the game runs. Just don't run "Launcher.exe" else it'll try to auto-update again (I'm told). Just run KSP.exe

Well, for some reason I can't attach any parts like connectors to others. I'm trying to use a pipe to secure a rover to a Maritime Pack ferry but the kerbal just drops the connector on that spot instead of attaching it to the craft. Everything else works fine.

EDIT1: Nevermind just took a look at the manual and you have to have a tool equipped to attach parts.

Edited by mike9606

When I connected 2 base modules together with a pipe, I lost all control of the base. No right click options worked, I couldn't open solar panels or activate drills etc etc. Both base modules had probe cores and I've built pipe-line connected bases many times before some with 6 or more modules all chained up with pipes.

I loaded the space center and then went back to the base VIA tracking station and it got worse, not only did I still not have control, the base had over 10,000 power and was suddenly empty of all power all lights dead. Maybe 2 mins had gone by since I had hooked up the 2 sections.

Is it possible to extend the cable length to over 50 meter ?

If not would be awesome if you add this to the "settings.cfg" in your mod ^^

Yes you can, just go to GameData/KAS/Parts/Winch1 or Winch2/ and open the part.cfg. The line under 'name = KASModuleWinch' should read 'maxLenght'. Just adjust this number to the length that you need.

I think the connector port is bugged. I am trying to build a craft with a winch already attached to a sub-craft, but if I start from the winch side the game refuses to let me attach a part to the base of the connector port, and if I start from the sub-craft side it refuses to let me attach a winch to the port. This happens with both the radial and in-line winches, in both the SPH and VAB. Could somebody else try doing the same thing to see if it's just me?

Edited by Grumman

Is this pretty much OK to use with 1.0.3 or 1.0.4? If the author posts that its probably safe, then I'll put in an override in CKAN to mark as compatible with 1.0.4 and that lets CKAN install it for those users.

Is this pretty much OK to use with 1.0.3 or 1.0.4? If the author posts that its probably safe, then I'll put in an override in CKAN to mark as compatible with 1.0.4 and that lets CKAN install it for those users.

I was actually seconds away from posting asking why this is listed as incompatible on CKAN, lol! By the way, and idea why Bahamuto dynamics is listed as incompatible as well?

I was actually seconds away from posting asking why this is listed as incompatible on CKAN, lol! By the way, and idea why Bahamuto dynamics is listed as incompatible as well?

Because they are marked as being compile for a specific version, 1.0.2 in most cases. And there is nothing wrong with running them on .3 and .4, but to get them compatible for this would require the author to rebuild the thing - and likely mark them as incompatible for earlier versions that some people are still using. This is bad for the mod authors and plain nuts for people that are tracking addons like CKAN and KerbalStuff Blame Squad for their abuse of the versioning system - right now KerbalStuff only has a single version as viable. CKAN was the same way but now has the ability to specify a minimum and maximum KSP version, which is what I am doing in the metadata - removing the old KSP version metadata and adding in the new min/max data. Nice thing is if the author wants we can set the max to a future version like 1.0.99, which means it will stay valid in CKAN for quite a while.

CKAN is trying to take this bit of busy-work off the authors to-do lists, so they can concentrate on making great mods, instead of chasing KSP versions and figuring out how to distribute their app sensibly (and dealing with the questions about that).

edit: and yes I am trying to get those specific things (Bahamuto dynamics, KIS, KAS, Extrap[lanetary Launchpads, etc) flipped over to using min-max, so they show up. But unlike some fans, I tend to ask first (like I did here). Well meaning fans that do not check first and just slam the things in there can cause a lot of mess for the author - for instance Sarbian is having to deal with someone that put MJ developer up on KerbalSpace without asking him - and worse they put it up there as the stable version which causes the old version to be replaced! So now there are some screwed up installs because of that. And that's causing Sarbian to put time into correcting that mess instead of getting MechJeb updated. This is what I am trying to avoid.

Edited by Murdabenne

I've tested with 1.0.4 and it seems stable, and other users report it stable, so Im adding in an override on CKAN which marks this specific version (0.5.2) as compatible with KSP 1.0.2 thru 1.0.4. It will not affect past nor future versions and it only affects CKAN

Because they are marked as being compile for a specific version, 1.0.2 in most cases. And there is nothing wrong with running them on .3 and .4, but to get them compatible for this would require the author to rebuild the thing - and likely mark them as incompatible for earlier versions that some people are still using. This is bad for the mod authors and plain nuts for people that are tracking addons like CKAN and KerbalStuff Blame Squad for their abuse of the versioning system - right now KerbalStuff only has a single version as viable. CKAN was the same way but now has the ability to specify a minimum and maximum KSP version, which is what I am doing in the metadata - removing the old KSP version metadata and adding in the new min/max data. Nice thing is if the author wants we can set the max to a future version like 1.0.99, which means it will stay valid in CKAN for quite a while.

CKAN is trying to take this bit of busy-work off the authors to-do lists, so they can concentrate on making great mods, instead of chasing KSP versions and figuring out how to distribute their app sensibly (and dealing with the questions about that).

edit: and yes I am trying to get those specific things (Bahamuto dynamics, KIS, KAS, Extrap[lanetary Launchpads, etc) flipped over to using min-max, so they show up. But unlike some fans, I tend to ask first (like I did here). Well meaning fans that do not check first and just slam the things in there can cause a lot of mess for the author - for instance Sarbian is having to deal with someone that put MJ developer up on KerbalSpace without asking him - and worse they put it up there as the stable version which causes the old version to be replaced! So now there are some screwed up installs because of that. And that's causing Sarbian to put time into correcting that mess instead of getting MechJeb updated. This is what I am trying to avoid.

Good to hear, the main reason I use CKAN is because I have faith in guys like you to be thorough and make sure everything works before dummies like me go installing every shiny thing they can find and then wondering why their save file melted :P

On behalf of the community, I thank you ;)

I think the connector port is bugged. I am trying to build a craft with a winch already attached to a sub-craft, but if I start from the winch side the game refuses to let me attach a part to the base of the connector port, and if I start from the sub-craft side it refuses to let me attach a winch to the port. This happens with both the radial and in-line winches, in both the SPH and VAB. Could somebody else try doing the same thing to see if it's just me?

This ^^ anyone? or are we alone or is it not possible?