[1.1.2] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.5.8

KospY

You will need to keep the KIS dll too.

Word. In case anyone cares, game seemed to work fine without it but complained something awful = KIS.dll back in. Whined about missing a few sound files (broke, strutbuild, strutremove).

Okay, I think I'm doing something wrong. How do I make the ground bases attach to my vessel as well as the ground? Trying to use them to build a stable minmus colony, but I can't figure out what to do after connecting the bases to the ground.

Okay, I think I'm doing something wrong. How do I make the ground bases attach to my vessel as well as the ground? Trying to use them to build a stable minmus colony, but I can't figure out what to do after connecting the bases to the ground.

With struts? Pipe and struts?

How do I use KAS to transfer fuel between two craft? I have a craft with a winch with one of the yellow round connectors. i have an engineer equiped with a KIS power screwdriver. He can crab the connector on the end of the winch, but I can't find any way to attach them to the target vessel.

How do I use KAS to transfer fuel between two craft? I have a craft with a winch with one of the yellow round connectors. i have an engineer equiped with a KIS power screwdriver. He can crab the connector on the end of the winch, but I can't find any way to attach them to the target vessel.

You want to install a Connector Port F on the craft that doesn't have the winch. That's the part that you plug the winch into.

I don't know what changed after KIS was implemented, but before that I remember being able to grab a pipe end point from a craft that has two, place it in another craft, and then connect the two pipe end points to transfer fuel.

Now, I don't see the "grab" icon when I right click the pipe end point. What am I doing wrong?

I don't know what changed after KIS was implemented, but before that I remember being able to grab a pipe end point from a craft that has two, place it in another craft, and then connect the two pipe end points to transfer fuel.

Now, I don't see the "grab" icon when I right click the pipe end point. What am I doing wrong?

You're not reading the KIS manual, that's for sure. ;)

Also, just to clarify, Pipe End Points have lost their use and are disabled. Use 'Connector Port F' for pipe/winch attachments.

First, make sure you brought a wrench or a power drill in your Kerbal's inventory (You can open the cockpit seat inventory before launch to add items to any Kerbalnaut seated in said seat slot). Right click while in flight/orbit on the Kerbal him/herself to open the inventory.

If you don't have either of the tools, you're out of luck.

If you do, equip one of them using the respective slot hotkey (check inventory and find the little number pertaining to the slot your item is in).

Once done, hold down the default grab key 'G' and click-drag the connector port. You can either put it into your inventory or drop it in space by left clicking on your kerbal (it won't attach if you do that).

To attach it, float over to your destination craft, make sure your tool is equipped, and drag the connector port out of your inventory (if it's in space, use the 'hold G and click-drag' method), and attach the part by holding down 'X' and left-clicking once you got the desired orientation.

Once done, I think you can right click the connector ports to start creating pipes.

More information can be found in the manual.

EDIT: Tarheel also mentions you require a Kerbalnaut with the Engineer profession to be able to use the tools and hence perform assembly.

Edited by T-Pilot395

I have a vessel underway planning to get to the Jool system. It was launched with 5 LFO motors and a bunch of SRBs travelled to Minmus and was refuelled for the onward journey. My delta-v is starting to look a little bit tight for the trip so I thought about dumping the four outer motors to save on weight and just run a bit longer on the primary motor.

I have the KAS/KIS mod installed. Can my Engineer detach the engine with her wrench or screwdriver that she has on board?

I've set up a dummy tank and motor on the runway with a suitable equipped Engineer but I cannot seem to see how to interact with the engine.

I'd rather not do too much persistent file editing if I can avoid it.

Equip the screwdriver and hover over the engine. Hold the action key (default 'x') and click. I think that's how I did it when I removed some monoprop engines from a lander.

The answer is yes using KIS, but you must have enough Kerbals in range of the engine to "lift" it. They can lift 1t each, so make sure you can get that many in range of it. You won't necessarily have to be able to place it in anyone's inventory, you can lift and place things far too large to actually carry in a container so long as you have the manpower.

IIRC once you are in range, you press 'G' to enter "grab" mode and pick things up, then drag/drop it either into an inventory or into another placement.

'X' should be for attach mode, when you're holding an object hold 'x' to attach it to a point rather than simply place it (without attach, objects will fall off, which is actually what you want if you're trying to cast them overboard).

If you have enough kerbals available and/or light enough parts KIS/KAS will let you pretty much reconstruct your entire ship in space if you like.

Yeaaaaah, about that. I just went looking in the KIS 1.2 User Guide included with KIS 1.2.0, and I can't find instructions on how to make a pipe in there. (Please prove me wrong.)

So, here's what worked for me:

Once you have a connector attached to each ship, and they are close enough, right click on the connector and select "Link." A potential pipe will appear from the connector to your Kerbal. It will be green if it's currently able to be connected, red if it's not (such as passing through your ship, or too long). Go near the other connector, right click on it, select "Link," and if it's able to connect, a pipe will appear between the connectors, causing your ships to become docked. Be wary of torque across the pipe connection.

(For my test, the ships were built with the connectors already attached, and Jeb (pilot, not engineer) ran the pipe without any tools equipped.)

Also, just to clarify, Pipe End Points have lost their use and are disabled. Use 'Connector Port F' for pipe/winch attachments.

As far as I can see, it's the "CC-R2 Connector port," and it's a KAS part.

Edited by Gryphon

As far as I can see, it's the "CC-R2 Connector port," and it's a KAS part.

It isn't in the KIS user guide, you stated the reason yourself, quoted above. Although, I do think a user guide should be made for KAS. It should also be accessible from in-game like the KIS manual.

The original question was why he couldn't attach the connector part to the ship, or more specifically; what happened to the "grab" functionality formerly part of KAS.

I think it's H to attach, that's what I use.

Tip, if you want to just detach the engine, click it while pressing G, and then click anywhere to let if float. If you want to put it into a container, then you have to press G and drag & drop the engine to the inventory (here is important the difference between click and drag & drop)

KAS 0.5.4 released!

Changelog:

0.5.4 (29 July 2015)

•[Enhancement] Allow KAS to work without KIS (removed KIS dependancy)

•[Enhancement] Moving harpoons with KIS will not attach them on the ground anymore (attach key must now be used)

•[Change] Removed old container module (used to move old KAS v0.4 items to KIS items)

•[Fix] Fixed KIS dependancy checker not working as expected

Take note that KIS is no more mandatory.

However by using KAS without KIS, you will not be able to :

•Attach/detach connectors from EVA

•Store hooks in containers

•Mount hooks on winches from EVA

•Attach hooks from EVA

•Attach ground pylon on the ground

To get all this features, you always need to install KIS.

default hotkeys only shows winch and cable hotkeys. It would really be useful to know what grab and attach is! lol

Those functions are part of KIS, so you should look in the KIS user guide on the front page of its thread. It is a little more complex than just hitting a key. The respective keys are "g" and "x".

Is there a direct download link for this? Curse and curseforge are javascripts, and I like using my download manager, which javascript things like that circumvent.

It is possible to generate a sane direct download link for a Cursed package - I've seen them. Surely CKAN must know them, in fact?

First, make sure you brought a wrench or a power drill in your Kerbal's inventory (You can open the cockpit seat inventory before launch to add items to any Kerbalnaut seated in said seat slot). Right click while in flight/orbit on the Kerbal him/herself to open the inventory.

If you don't have either of the tools, you're out of luck.

If you do, equip one of them using the respective slot hotkey (check inventory and find the little number pertaining to the slot your item is in).

Once done, hold down the default grab key 'G' and click-drag the connector port. You can either put it into your inventory or drop it in space by left clicking on your kerbal (it won't attach if you do that).

To attach it, float over to your destination craft, make sure your tool is equipped, and drag the connector port out of your inventory (if it's in space, use the 'hold G and click-drag' method), and attach the part by holding down 'X' and left-clicking once you got the desired orientation.

Once done, I think you can right click the connector ports to start creating pipes.

More information can be found in the manual.

EDIT: Tarheel also mentions you require a Kerbalnaut with the Engineer profession to be able to use the tools and hence perform assembly.

Thanks for the help. Sadly, I didn't bring the tools, so I foresee a rescue mission...;.;

warning [KAS_v0.5.4.zip]:  3031706 extra bytes at beginning or within zipfile

UnZip 6.00 of 20 April 2009, by ALT Linux Team.  Original by Info-ZIP.

Edited by Guest