[1.1.2] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.5.8

KospY

I have an odd bug to report. It may be a KSP thing but it's a situation that would happen only in KAS.

On two occasions, I was on EVA and I had quicksaved while Drill-o-Matic Mining Excavator(s) were on the floor own their own. When I quickloaded, there would be MASSIVE lag, on the order of like dilating 8 seconds to 1, while the drills would appear to be extended even though they were retracted before the quickload. Deleting them from the Tracking Station invariably removes the lag, and not having them in physics distance also excludes you from the lag.

I have an odd bug to report. It may be a KSP thing but it's a situation that would happen only in KAS.

On two occasions, I was on EVA and I had quicksaved while Drill-o-Matic Mining Excavator(s) were on the floor own their own. When I quickloaded, there would be MASSIVE lag, on the order of like dilating 8 seconds to 1, while the drills would appear to be extended even though they were retracted before the quickload. Deleting them from the Tracking Station invariably removes the lag, and not having them in physics distance also excludes you from the lag.

Not sure what this would have to do with KAS. KAS is basically just a parts pack at this point. It has no ability to even remove items. That would be KIS. And even then this isn't a KIS issue. Its a debris on the ground issue for the most part.

Not sure if this is a feature or a bug.

I was building a space station with the FUSTek mod. I like to add the KAS strut to specific locations on the space station modules. Then when I dock them together I go EVA and have my kerbal connect the struts on the docked modules. It gives it a cool well built look, plus it might ad a bit more stability (maybe?). Well I brought up another pod and docked with my previously built parts. I docked and then EVA'd to connect the struts as usual. Well on this particular occasion I left my capsule docked while i connected the struts. On the previous occasions I would dock and detach my launch capsule, then connect the struts. Anyway after connecting all the new struts I detached the launch capusle. well every single struts i spent time connecting via EVA was no longer connected. Needless to say I was kind of pissed. Is it supposed to do this? I was under the impression that these struts would stay connected unless I disconnected two parts that were connected and had struts on them, not lose all struts all over the station when i undocked my launch capsule from the station. Am I using the wrong part? Should I be using the pipe connectors for this purpose instead of the strut? I've used pipes on base modules after docking them but only to make sure they had a cross feed. Will all the pipes disappear if I undock something too? I was just wondering. I love this mod and wanted to make sure this was reported if it was a bug. Oh this happened on KSP 1.0.2 and KAS 5.1. I have ksp 1.0.4 with KAS 5.4 but haven't tried this yet.

That would be a bug. I would suggest that you try to replicate it on the most recent version, though, since most mod maker don't provide support for older versions. Also, if you do replicate the problem be sure to provide logs and a complete mod list with version numbers.

Forgive me if this has been asked and/or answered before.

I cannot seem to put objects back into inventories. I read the manual from cover to cover. So I take an item from an inventory, attach with the spanner; but then how do I put it <back> into an inventory <storage and/or kerbal> . Dragging it just moves it in the scene. I am using the newest versions of this and KIS.

I do not know at this moment why I would want or need to do this, but I am a stickler for making sure every aspect of a mission is under control before I leave the ground and this is bugging me so bad.

Also, thank you so much for this mod.

Edited by Stephanie the Viking

Forgive me if this has been asked and/or answered before.

I cannot seem to put objects back into inventories. I read the manual from cover to cover. So I take an item from an inventory, attach with the spanner; but then how do I put it <back> into an inventory. Dragging it just moves it in the scene. I am using the newest versions of this and KIS.

I do not know at this moment why I would want or need to do this, but I am a stickler for making sure every aspect of a mission is under control before I leave the ground and this is bugging me so bad.

Like the reverse? Open your inventory. Grab the item and in one motion drag it into your inventory.

As I said, dragging it to the window moves it in the scene but when I release it in the inventory window it just releases into the air in the scene. It is not interacting with the inventory window in any way.

Edit:

I'm an idiot, I didn't realize you had to keep the G button held down. *facepalm*

Edit 2:

Can kerbals not use parachutes anymore then? It is red when I try to attach it.

Sorry I've been out of the loop since like 0.24 so I am rusty. Very rusty.

Edited by Stephanie the Viking

hi there, can someone help with the following.. I have been trying to add the KASMOduleStrut (https://github.com/KospY/KAS/wiki/KASModuleStrut) to the standard docking port and the radial attachment point and when clicking link button on either part it throws a nre but on the debug window there is no other information

cheers

EDIT: on checking the log file the exception shows...

[EXC 11:51:34.309] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

KAS.KAS_Tube.Load ()

KAS.KASModuleStrut.SetEvaLink ()

KAS.KASModuleStrut.ContextMenuLink ()

BaseEvent.Invoke ()

UIPartActionButton.OnClick ()

Edited by casper88

It appears that the CC-R2 Connector Port is no longer stackable for me. I hadn't noticed since I had started a new career game recently and haven't gotten far enough to unlock it yet. I noticed while working in a new sandbox game testing some shuttle designs.

I do see that some other parts, such as the pylon, are still stackable. Looking at the part.cfg files in game and on github I'm wondering if the connector may not have gotten the ModuleKISItem added to it when the dependency on KIS was removed.

I am using the following KAS/KIS versions:

KIS 1.2.1

KAS 0.5.4

I believe this occurred sometime between KAS versions 0.5.2 and 0.5.4.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue or can replicate it?

It appears that the CC-R2 Connector Port is no longer stackable for me. I hadn't noticed since I had started a new career game recently and haven't gotten far enough to unlock it yet. I noticed while working in a new sandbox game testing some shuttle designs.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue or can replicate it?

I had this problem in the previous version, but it was fixed when I updated.

Attach something like a magnet or grappling hook to the winch in the VAB/SPH, that will grab something else without needing to EVA a Kerbal. I don't know how to extend the winch range other than by editing the config files. You could try daisy-chaining two winches together but that might cause bugs.

Attach something like a magnet or grappling hook to the winch in the VAB/SPH, that will grab something else without needing to EVA a Kerbal. I don't know how to extend the winch range other than by editing the config files. You could try daisy-chaining two winches together but that might cause bugs.

My problem with the magnet and grappling hook is that my VTOL is having a hard time aiming. It would be much easier to use and connect the connector ports without having to go EVA.

And additionally how to increase the range for using the winch

Go into the /GameData/KAS/Parts/Winch# folder and open the Part.cfg file in Notepad. There is a line that says "maxLenght = #" that defines the maximum length of the winch cable.

And additionally how to increase the range for using the winch

Find the .cfg for the winch (at GameData\KAS\Parts\winch1[2]\part.cfg) and adjust the below highlighted value to whatever you want

PART
{
<-snip->

MODULE
{
name = KASModuleWinch
[highlight][B]maxLenght = 50[/B][/highlight]
cableSpring = 1000
[I]etc.[/I]
}

<-snip->
}

E/ Oh, damn! Ninja'd :)

Edited by Magion

The way I've seen it done in a video (can't find it right now) is to attach a minimalistic "drone" at the end of the winch - a monoprop tank, a set of RCS thrusters, a probe core, possibly a battery. The other end of the drone is a docking port. You fly the drone to the target, extending the line, then dock it there.

The way I've seen it done in a video (can't find it right now) is to attach a minimalistic "drone" at the end of the winch - a monoprop tank, a set of RCS thrusters, a probe core, possibly a battery. The other end of the drone is a docking port. You fly the drone to the target, extending the line, then dock it there.

I just tested it and you don't even need that - all you need is the winch, the docking port and the RCS thrusters. Choose to control the ship from the docking port, turn off any reaction wheels or RCS nozzles that aren't on the drone, and you can then fly that docking port around using the regular controls, drawing RCS from the mothership as you do so.

turn off any reaction wheels or RCS nozzles that aren't on the drone

I believe that's why the "drone" solution - the "drone" was set as a separate craft from the winch menu for duration of its flight. If you have more RCS and wheels on the main craft disabling them by hand could become tiresome.

(OTOH you can keep Vernors on the craft and Monoprop RCS on the port, or vice versa, and disable the respective tanks.)

Merged into the thread for this mod.

Thanks!

Let me put it this way, I'm making a skycrane for rockets.The rocket stages have ports on the sides.My problem is, the skycrane is a drone and the rocket is on a truck.Instead of needing eva, I would like to just fly the skycrane, hover over the rocket, connect the winch to the ports in flight and carry the rocket to the launch site.

For some reason after installing this I have multiple copies of every part! When I remove the KAS folder (Delete it from GameData) the copies do not go away. How do I uninstall and reinstall KAS to make the duplicate parts go away?

• 2 weeks later...

OK, ... is going on with pipes?

If you attach a chain of them to ground pylons they have a bizarre tendency to spontaneously jump into the sky, ripping themselves apart or yanking the pylons up out of the ground.

It's REALLY >>EXPLETIVE<< ANNOYING!