[1.1.2] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.5.8

KospY

@IgorZ: downloaded and replaced old DLL file. Will test this now.

+++UPDATE+++

I have tested the winches, both the vertical and horizontal, and both work. No major issues there. Will test remaining KAS items I have already saved before the 1.1.3 update.

Edited by adsii1970

1 hour ago, IgorZ said:

@ss8913 @Tekener @adsii1970

Guys, please, try this patch. Please, pay special attention to the winch head behavior on unplugged state (i.e. when it's just hanging on the cable). The problem with head's physics in 1.1.3 is still not solved but I've found a quick workaround (basically, I simulate gee force in the mod's code instead of using KSP core). Will spend more time to investigation on weekends.

Great job, first tests are positive.

I was able to grab the cable's head again from the winch, plug it to the connector in the other vessel and establish a docked connection. Fueled up the vessel and then diconnected it again. Unlike the earlier bug I had on Minmus and Ike the head just fell to the floor and lay there motienless. When retracting the cable with the winch it was just pulled inside - unlike before the head was just pulled behind and wasn't moving like a snake over the floor, so this is an improvement to 1.1.2!

Will continue testing ...

1 hour ago, IgorZ said:

Guys, please, try this patch. Please, pay special attention to the winch head behavior on unplugged state (i.e. when it's just hanging on the cable). The problem with head's physics in 1.1.3 is still not solved but I've found a quick workaround (basically, I simulate gee force in the mod's code instead of using KSP core). Will spend more time to investigation on weekends.

when the winch is just hanging if it starts to swing it does not stop. and this can cause some very odd wobbling and spinning when its retracted. its like there is no damping. any momentum just keeps going.

(while looking for problems :) ) I tried retracting the winches and going in and out of On-rails warp, on exit the winches including a length of the cable detached and flew about. i guess this has to do with separate physics 

otherwise its ok.

5 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Here it works on ground bases

5 hours ago, Tekener said:

Great job, first tests are positive.

I was able to grab the cable's head again from the winch, plug it to the connector in the other vessel and establish a docked connection. Fueled up the vessel and then diconnected it again. Unlike the earlier bug I had on Minmus and Ike the head just fell to the floor and lay there motienless. When retracting the cable with the winch it was just pulled inside - unlike before the head was just pulled behind and wasn't moving like a snake over the floor, so this is an improvement to 1.1.2!

Will continue testing ...

Haven't tested this with the 0.5.8 version now but only with the test dll, so sorry if these are "known issues":

- having two vessels on a surface connected (docked) via a cable and selecting "Retract" on the winch will start retracting the cable. When not able to retract further, because the vessels are not moving, the message "Connected parts not alinged! Locking impossible." appears. After this the winch is broken and selected actions will behave strangly, like "Unplug" can sometimes release the cable head grafically, but the winch still reports to be plugged in.

- retracting the cable while it is held by a Kerbal results in the same result. Either the Kerbal is moving and getting retracted "into" the winch displaying the not aligned message - or the winch is ripped from the vessel and "launches" itself in direction of the Kerbal.

- Selecting "Eject" on a surface can cause the cable to be fired away but then start to swing straight upwards to the other side.

Besides this doing normal stuff like plug it, transfer fuel, unplug it and such things are all working fine.

3 hours ago, Technolio said:

Sorry, but where do we put this .dll patch file? I dont see anything with that name.

You need to rename the patch file into "KAS.dll" and replace the old one.

Edited by IgorZ

22 hours ago, joebopie said:

when the winch is just hanging if it starts to swing it does not stop. and this can cause some very odd wobbling and spinning when its retracted. its like there is no damping. any momentum just keeps going.

(while looking for problems :) ) I tried retracting the winches and going in and out of On-rails warp, on exit the winches including a length of the cable detached and flew about. i guess this has to do with separate physics 

IIRC that was problem in 1.1.2 too. In real physics there is always a force that dampers oscillations but in Unity (and KSP in particular) there is none. I'll try to investigate how people usually solve this issue.

Issue with time warp is confirmed.

17 hours ago, Tekener said:

- having two vessels on a surface connected (docked) via a cable and selecting "Retract" on the winch will start retracting the cable. When not able to retract further, because the vessels are not moving, the message "Connected parts not alinged! Locking impossible." appears. After this the winch is broken and selected actions will behave strangly, like "Unplug" can sometimes release the cable head grafically, but the winch still reports to be plugged in.

Is there a record in the log saying the joint is broken? If yest then it's a known issue. Broken cable/winch case is not handled really well.

- retracting the cable while it is held by a Kerbal results in the same result. Either the Kerbal is moving and getting retracted "into" the winch displaying the not aligned message - or the winch is ripped from the vessel and "launches" itself in direction of the Kerbal.

Locking of the head is actually a docking action. You cannot dock kerbal to a vessel :)

- Selecting "Eject" on a surface can cause the cable to be fired away but then start to swing straight upwards to the other side.

Tried to reproduce but failed. Could you please give video/screenshots?

I use the linking functionality of KAS for ground bases and refueling among other things. My last issue was with 1.1.2 and KAS where, after linking a ship to a ground base, attempting to send anyone in the ship on EVA resulted in a CTD.

Have not tried 1.1.3 yet. I'm having my own set of issues, namely the @#$%ing VAB crash again. I've deleted everything and will do a fresh re-install later tonight for testing. If I'm going to be waiting on updates I might as well try to help bugfix where I can so that updates can come faster.

So I tried this patch and for whatever reason now right clicking on my winch simply does nothing. Before I got the menu but the winch wouldn't work, now I don't even get the menu. I have KAS and KIS installed, Planetary Base is the only other mod I can think of that might possibly be causing any conflicts but i doubt it.

8 hours ago, Auriga_Nexus said:

I use the linking functionality of KAS for ground bases and refueling among other things. My last issue was with 1.1.2 and KAS where, after linking a ship to a ground base, attempting to send anyone in the ship on EVA resulted in a CTD.

Please, excuse my ignorance, but what is "CTD"? I've figured out it's something bad.

5 hours ago, Technolio said:

So I tried this patch and for whatever reason now right clicking on my winch simply does nothing. Before I got the menu but the winch wouldn't work, now I don't even get the menu. I have KAS and KIS installed, Planetary Base is the only other mod I can think of that might possibly be causing any conflicts but i doubt it.

Whatever issue you have the reason is not Planetary Base since it's my primary testing target mod. It works perfectly in my test farm.

1. Are you sure your base have a command module part? No command module, no interaction.
  2. Are you sure that the active vessel is the station with the winch you're trying to interact with? If you're controlling a kerbounaut you need to get close to the winch, and even after that the set of options will be very limited.
  3. If none of the above applies to you, please, check the logs for the errors.

5 hours ago, Technolio said:

Same situation for me. I don't have Planetary Base, but do have kis (not up to date I think), ker, Kerbal Alarmclock, and obviously kas.

I was previously having trouble with the winch, being unable to grab it. I replaced kas.dll with the file from IgorZ and now can't right click any kas part. This is whether I'm using a Kerbal nearby, or actively flying the vessel. Right click menus for stock parts still appear. I think it's notable that before changing the dll the struts and connecter ports were useable but aren't now.

Am I making an obvious stupid mistake, is there other info that'd be relevant, and is there anything I can do?

6 minutes ago, Megadeath said:

I think it's notable that before changing the dll the struts and connecter ports were useable but aren't now.

Could you, please, give more details on this? What exactly do you mean by "not usable"? Screenshots would be really helpful. And, again, I need logs. It can be mods conflict or some other error which cannot be revealed without checking logs.

Sorry, not practiced at error reporting. By not useable, I mean that right clicking doesn't bring up a menu for "any" part anymore. Happy to provide screenshot, but it's hard to think how to take one to show the issue. Where will I find relevant log files?

I am sorry for poor communication, and greatly appreciate the effort.

Edited by Megadeath

1 minute ago, Megadeath said:

Sorry, not practiced at error reporting. By not useable, I mean that right clicking doesn't bring up a menu for "any" part anymore. Happy to provide screenshot, but it's hard to think how to take one to show the issue. Where will I find relevant log files?

I am sorry for poor communication, and greatly appreciate the effort.

No worries! As long as you're open to provide more info we're on the right path :) To open logs console you need to press Alt+F12, then choose "Debug". Scroll down to the bottom and check the recent logs marked with red or yellow color - these may be the problems. Another way to get the logs is opening file KSP.log in the root of the game folder right after the issue has happen. This file is overwritten on every game start.

If you choose to provide the file, please, don't just copy-paste entire content here as it will break the forum layout :)  Wrap it into a spoiler tag or simply upload the file somewhere and give a link.

53 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

Please, excuse my ignorance, but what is "CTD"? I've figured out it's something bad.

Crash To Desktop. More specifically when the KSP application craps out and you get an error popup from Windows, rather than an error handled by KSP's engine itself.

10 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

Uh, oops. Can't get rid of that ^^^ :huh:

Here is the ksp.log from the root directory:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vnvrf4sq8fiyvlt/KSP.log?dl=0

(Edited out; I forgot what month it is.)

First time using dropbox, so I hope I've done that right? I'll try the logs console next time I run it, but can't right now.

Edited by Megadeath

1 minute ago, Auriga_Nexus said:

Crash To Desktop. More specifically when the KSP application craps out and you get an error popup from Windows, rather than an error handled by KSP's engine itself.

Thanks, good to know. And I assure you KIS/KAS cannot crash the game (even on purpose). They work entirely in a C# sandbox provided and maintained by Unity, so if crashes happen then it's a KSP/Unity issue :(

4 minutes ago, Megadeath said:

Uh, oops. Can't get rid of that ^^^ :huh:

Here is the ksp.log from the root directory:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vnvrf4sq8fiyvlt/KSP.log?dl=0

(Edited out; I forgot what month it is.)

First time using dropbox, so I hope I've done that right? I'll try the logs console next time I run it, but can't right now.

Good. Now, here are the observations:

1. You version of KAC is either old (pre 1.1.3) or you have some weird game setup. There are a lot of errors from KAC. I'm not saying it's the reason but its errors totally spoofed the log. Try updating KAC to the recent version or testing without it
  2. KER is complaining too. I do have it in my game and it doesn't throw any errors. Please, check if you have the latest version.
  3. There are KAS/KIS loading errors that make me believe you have some legacy binaries. Please, do a full file search starting from the the game's root for files "KIS.dll" and "KAS.dll". If you find more than one of each then this is your problem.
  4. Just to double check. The name of the patch file is "KAS_v0.5.9_DEV_0623.dll" but in your game it must be renamed to "KAS.dll". Did you do it?

We need the items above fixed before going forward. The file is spoofed with the irrelevant errors, and it's hard to analyze it.

Yeah same problem with the connector ports as well, I can attach them to something just fine but no right click menu. The debug log shows nothing but repeating "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

EDIT:

Okay So I uninstalled these other mods I had installed (Kerbal Renaissance pack) that were flooding the error log and now I noticed that in the log it says "[Warning]: The referenced script on this behavior is missing" 

Edited by Technolio

11 minutes ago, Technolio said:

Yeah same problem with the connector ports as well, I can attach them to something just fine but no right click menu. The debug log shows nothing but repeating "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

@Megadeath has replied to your message saying he has the same issue as you do. By repeating "same problem" in reply to his message you've closed the loop :) Can you provide any extra details to have this mystery solved?

Sorry, I was only mentioning that because my problem was originally about the winches until I realized it was also the ports. I uninstalled most of my mods, now all I have installed are KIS, KAS, and Planetary Base Mods. Tested it again and same problem, although I am testing the ports on Planetary Base parts. I also deleted and redownloaded KAS and KIS then applied the KAS patch, one thing I noticed when reinstalling them was my game prompted me and asked if I wanted to allow them to check for updates and I clicked 'yes'. Do you suppose this could be part of the problem? Anyway here is a screenshot of my error log. In the mean time I am gonna test the parts on some stock parts and get back to you. 

http://imgur.com/HuifWH2

7 minutes ago, Technolio said:

Sorry, I was only mentioning that because my problem was originally about the winches until I realized it was also the ports. I uninstalled most of my mods, now all I have installed are KIS, KAS, and Planetary Base Mods. Tested it again and same problem, although I am testing the ports on Planetary Base parts. I also deleted and redownloaded KAS and KIS then applied the KAS patch, one thing I noticed when reinstalling them was my game prompted me and asked if I wanted to allow them to check for updates and I clicked 'yes'. Do you suppose this could be part of the problem? Anyway here is a screenshot of my error log. In the mean time I am gonna test the parts on some stock parts and get back to you. 

http://imgur.com/HuifWH2

Here is my experience:

Spoiler

15NrN7j.jpg

If you only use stock components and Planetary Base I can try testing your setup in my test farm. Could you please provide a save file?