[1.1.2] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.5.8

KospY

Are you able to attach parts with children now? I thought you could only separate parts with children.

If you mean "can you re-attach several parts attached to each other", no. You have to take them apart first. That can be a real pain, I know.

If you mean "can you connect parts to a part you just attached", sure.

If you mean "can you re-attach several parts attached to each other", no. You have to take them apart first. That can be a real pain, I know.

If you mean "can you connect parts to a part you just attached", sure.

That was my understanding. I asked because I wasn't quite following hab136's post and thought maybe I missed a new feature. Re-reading I think I see what s/he is saying.

Hello, I seem to be having a problem with the install. I put both KAS and KIS in the game data directory. The parts show up, I can place them in the box(s), but once my ship is in orbit and im ready with an engineer on Eva next to it and I click inventory, the inventory just flashes and goes away in an instant. This text appears also https://www.dropbox.com/s/eczm3lzpca1vc1w/2015-09-08_00002.jpg?dl=0

Wuts up with tat

Sorry if this is the wrong thread but I'm trying to attach parts from the kerbals inventory, I'm using an engineer. as a test I put a pod on the pad and tried to attach solar panels and batteries using H as the pop up says... It doesn't pace, it just turns red

I put up a skylab but silly me figured a craft as large as that would have a lot of batteries installed in it and a transmitter --- out of the box. would rather refurb than have to launch another one (like NASA would do!)

What am I doing wrong?

Just wanted to get this bumped:

Hello, I seem to be having a problem with the install. I put both KAS and KIS in the game data directory. The parts show up, I can place them in the box(s), but once my ship is in orbit and im ready with an engineer on Eva next to it and I click inventory, the inventory just flashes and goes away in an instant. This text appears alsohttps://www.dropbox.com/s/eczm3lzpca...00002.jpg?dl=0

Wuts up with tat

Just wanted to get this bumped:

Hello, I seem to be having a problem with the install. I put both KAS and KIS in the game data directory. The parts show up, I can place them in the box(s), but once my ship is in orbit and im ready with an engineer on Eva next to it and I click inventory, the inventory just flashes and goes away in an instant. This text appears alsohttps://www.dropbox.com/s/eczm3lzpca...00002.jpg?dl=0

Wuts up with tat

That is an install issue. Could you post a pic of your gamedata folder and the KIS folder

ok so i fixed my install, i did this by only copying in the Gamedata portion of the mod(s) and not copying the entire download (like the pdf file of instructions and License)

But now I'm having trouble attaching struts in space.. I have an engineer, he has the wrench and the drill, and the special struts. I press H to switch to attach mode, but it wont let me connect to my vessel. here is a picture:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qyk9ns9z0kit6zm/2015-09-11_00002.jpg?dl=0

WAIT i did it, just had to equip the drill :)

Edited by fireblade274

I've just installed this, and my game stops responding/crashes every time I attempt to salvage or scrap a part, whether it's another mod part, or say, a screwdriver floating in space. I do have a rather lengthy mod list, which I will paste below, but before I spend hours uninstalling each mod one at a time, I'd like to see if anyone else is aware of conflicts or if it's a known issue (searching this thread for "salvage crash" didn't yield a lot of information).

Exported mod list from CKAN:

{
"name": "ActsEW",
"version": "1.5"
},
{
"name": "AGExt",
"version": "1.33a"
},
{
"name": "AlternateResourcePanel",
"version": "2.7.3.0"
},
{
"name": "AvisorforValentina",
"version": "1.01"
},
{
"name": "CapCom",
"version": "1.2"
},
{
"name": "Chatterer",
"version": "0.9.6"
},
{
"name": "CoherentContracts",
"version": "1.02"
},
{
"name": "CollisionFX",
"version": "3.2"
},
{
"name": "CommunityResourcePack",
"version": "0.4.4"
},
{
"name": "ContractConfigurator-AnomalySurveyor",
"version": "1.4.1"
},
{
"name": "ContractConfigurator-AdvancedProgression",
"version": "4.5"
},
{
"name": "ContractConfigurator",
"version": "1.7.3"
},
{
"name": "ContractConfigurator-BaseConstuction",
"version": "0.2.1"
},
{
"name": "ContractConfigurator-ContractPack-SCANsat",
"version": "v0.5.2.1"
},
{
"name": "ContractConfigurator-FieldResearch",
"version": "1.1.1"
},
{
"name": "ContractConfigurator-InitialContracts",
"version": "1.0.4"
},
{
"name": "ContractConfigurator-RoverMissionsbyWhyren",
"version": "3"
},
{
"name": "ContractConfigurator-UsefulSpaceStations",
"version": "1.0.2"
},
{
"name": "ContractsWindowPlus",
"version": "5.3"
},
{
"name": "DockingSounds",
"version": "1.2"
},
{
"name": "EngineLighting",
"version": "1.4.0"
},
{
"name": "HullcamVDS",
"version": "0.50"
},
{
"name": "KAS",
"version": "0.5.4"
},
{
"name": "KerbalAlarmClock",
"version": "v3.4.0.0"
},
{
"name": "KerbalEngineerRedux",
"version": "1.0.18.0"
},
{
"name": "KerbalJointReinforcement",
"version": "v3.1.4"
},
{
"name": "KIS",
"version": "1.2.2"
},
{
"name": "ModuleAnimateEmissive",
"version": "v1.11"
},
{
"name": "ModuleManager",
"version": "2.6.8"
},
{
"name": "PorkjetHabitats",
"version": "0.41"
},
{
"name": "PreciseNode",
"version": "1.1.3"
},
{
"name": "ProceduralFairings",
"version": "v3.15"
},
{
"name": "VenStockRevamp",
"version": "v1.8.1"
},
{
"name": "RCSBuildAid",
"version": "0.7.2"
},
{
"name": "SCANsat",
"version": "v14.2"
},
{
"name": "Scatterer",
"version": "v0.0175"
},
{
"name": "TarsierSpaceTechnologyWithGalaxies",
"version": "1:5.4.1"
},
{
"name": "AstronomersPack",
"version": "Interstellar.V2"
},
{
"name": "AstronomersPack-Clouds-High",
},
{
"name": "Trajectories",
"version": "v1.4.3"
},
{
"name": "UKS",
"version": "0.31.6"
},
{
"name": "USI-FTT",
"version": "0.4.1"
},
{
"name": "USI-LS",
"version": "0.1.5"
},
{
"name": "USI-SRV",
"version": "0.3.1"
},
{
"name": "USITools",
"version": "0.4.2"
},
{
"name": "PlanetShine",
"version": "0.2.3.1"
},
{
"name": "WaypointManager",
"version": "2.4.2"
},
{
"name": "KopernicusExpansion",
"version": "0.1.2"
},
{
"name": "Olympic1ARPIcons",
"version": "0.6.0a"
},
{
"name": "CrowdSourcedScience",
"version": "v3.0"
},
{
"name": "RasterPropMonitor",
"version": "v0.22.2"
},
{
"name": "Kopernicus",
"version": "1:beta-03-3"
},
{
"name": "FirespitterCore",
"version": "v7.1.4"
},
{
"name": "LayeredAnimations",
"version": "1.1"
},
{
"name": "RasterPropMonitor-Core",
"version": "v0.22.2"
},
{
"name": "AstronomersPack-Auroras-8K",
},
{
"name": "WaterSounds",
"version": "1.1"
},
{
"name": "AstronomersPack-AtmosphericScattering",
},
{
"name": "B9AerospaceProceduralParts",
"version": "0.40"
},
{
"name": "Karbonite",
"version": "0.6.4"
},
{
"name": "CrossFeedEnabler",
"version": "v3.3"
},
{
"name": "NearFutureConstruction",
"version": "0.5.4"
},
{
"name": "NearFutureElectrical-Core",
"version": "0.5.3"
},
{
"name": "NearFutureElectrical",
},
{
"name": "NearFutureProps",
"version": "0.4.3"
},
{
"name": "NearFuturePropulsion",
},
{
"name": "NearFutureSolar",
},
{
"name": "NearFutureSpacecraft",
"version": "0.4.3"
},
{
"name": "InterstellarFuelSwitch-Core",
"version": "1.16"
},
{
"name": "DMagicOrbitalScience",
"version": "1.0.8"
},
{
"name": "RCSSounds",
"version": "4.3a"
},
{
"name": "USI-EXP",
"version": "0.4.1"
},
{
"name": "StationPartsExpansion",
"version": "0.3.3"
},
{
"name": "CommunityTechTree",
"version": "2.1"
},
{
"name": "ContractConfigurator-Tourism",
"version": "1.2.0"
},
{
"name": "KWRocketry",
"version": "2.7.0-community"
},
{
"name": "KWRocketry-CommunityFixes",
"version": "0.2.0"
},
{
"name": "InfernalRobotics",
"version": "v0.21.3"
},
{
"name": "IR-Model-Rework-Core",
"version": "v01b"
},
{
"name": "IR-Model-Rework-Expansion",
"version": "v01b"
},
{
"name": "ContractConfigurator-RemoteTech",
"version": "2.0.0"
},
{
"name": "PortraitStats",
"version": "6.0"
},
{
"name": "DockingPortAlignmentIndicator",
"version": "6.2.0"
},
{
"name": "AstronomersPack-DistantObjectEnhancement",
},
{
"name": "AstronomersPack-Sandstorms",
},
{
"name": "AstronomersPack-SurfaceGlow",
},
{
"name": "DistantObject",
"version": "v1.6.1"
},
{
"name": "EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements",
"version": "7-4"
},
{
"name": "AstronomersPack-Eve-Jool-Clouds-8K",
},
{
"name": "AstronomersPack-Snow",
},
{
"name": "AstronomersPack-PlanetShine",
},
{
"name": "Protractor",
"version": "v2.5.1"
},
{
"name": "HotRockets",
"version": "1.0.4.1"
},
{
"name": "SmokeScreen",
"version": "2.6.9"
},
{
"name": "RemoteTech",
"version": "v1.6.8"
},
{
"name": "ToadicusTools",
"version": "15"
},
{
"name": "EVAManager",
"version": "6"
},
{
"name": "Antennas",
"version": "Version_1.1"
},
{
"name": "ModuleRCSFX",
"version": "v4.2"
},
{
"name": "Telemachus",
"version": "v1.4.30.0"
}
]
}

@Tandoori

That would be because the salvage/scrap functionality comes from USI Kolonization.

Also, judging by the number of part mods and visual enhancements you have, it is possible you are running out of memory.

Edited by ExplorerKlatt

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if I've been thick and missed it, but is there documentation somewhere for exactly how each of the different modes of the winch work? e.g. What's the difference between extending, releasing and ejecting? What exactly is plug mode?

Sorry if I've been thick and missed it, but is there documentation somewhere for exactly how each of the different modes of the winch work? e.g. What's the difference between extending, releasing and ejecting? What exactly is plug mode?

I forget which is called which, but you can let the cable out slowly (or pull it in slowly), shove it all out at once, and let go of the thingy at the other end. Is that any help?

[quote=baldamundo;2211637. What's the difference between extending, releasing and ejecting?

extend - the cable slowly extends (the winch has released the brake somewhat)

release - the cable extends as fast as it's pulled out (the winch has fully released the brake)

eject - the cable is shot out fast (like a fired harpoon)

The gigantor XL solar arrays are kinda broken too, when they break, you cant grab them

That is actually a stock problem/design choice (not KAS/KIS, and likely not much they could do about it); when they break all of the colliders are disabled / removed / jettisoned, and/or there are just no colliders on the base piece to begin with. As such there is nothing remaining for you to interact with regarding that part (as all interaction is done through colliders). The smaller stock solar panels are affected by this as well.

The ladders, I have noticed, -are- grabbable (at least the large ladder), but you have to turn your view in such a way as to clip the camera -inside- of the object/tank the ladder was attached to, as its collider is generally quite a ways inside of the tank an not grabbable from outside. Not sure there is much KIS/KAS can do regarding this either, as it is a stock design choice/limitation.

extend - the cable slowly extends (the winch has released the brake somewhat)

release - the cable extends as fast as it's pulled out (the winch has fully released the brake)

eject - the cable is shot out fast (like a fired harpoon)

Thanks! :) And is there a setting that will keep the cable in high tension, but without pulling strongly enough to detach the electromagnet?

Hi all,

What am I doing wrong here? Why can't I reel this winch in? I'm trying to pull the vehicle into the cargo area of the plane. No matter where I put it, I can only place the connectors, link them up, but it never lets me retract the winch. This also happens when I disconnect the winch. The cable won't retract, and I can't re-grab it because it's not retracted?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

-BS

jypyVxL.jpg

Hi all,

What am I doing wrong here? Why can't I reel this winch in? I'm trying to pull the vehicle into the cargo area of the plane. No matter where I put it, I can only place the connectors, link them up, but it never lets me retract the winch. This also happens when I disconnect the winch. The cable won't retract, and I can't re-grab it because it's not retracted?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

-BS

http://i.imgur.com/jypyVxL.jpg

You need to switch to the ship with the winch on it to retract it.

I wouldn't recommend putting the connector on the side of the cargo bay. When you do retract it, it will pull the cargo to the side

I wouldn't recommend putting the connector on the side of the cargo bay. When you do retract it, it will pull the cargo to the side

Agreed, when I used to build cargo aircraft, I put a winch at the front of the cargo bay, and strut points along the sides.

On a related note, the reason I stopped building cargo aircraft is that I can't secure payloads into the cargo bay in a useful manner, because KAS struts are far too weak to do the job they're intended to do.

If I need a strut in the first place (more than ~20t across a Sr. docking port), they act like Slinky springs.

What I'm trying to say is that the connections between KAS Strut endpoints are too weak by a factor of 10 or more.

I've edited the config of the struts on my install, but it would be nice to not have to edit parts if I want them to work the way they're supposed to work.

This whole "weak KAS struts" thing might be because I use KJR, it would be nice if KAS included a MM patch to increase the strength of its own connections when it detects KJR is installed if that is the case.

You need to switch to the ship with the winch on it to retract it.

Ahhh, thanks, I'll try that.

The connectors on the side were mainly for testing purposes. I have winches and connectors all over the inside of the very long cargo bay, most of them along the centerline. I just wanted something quick and dirty to see if I could get it to work.

Cheers,

-BS

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed, when I used to build cargo aircraft, I put a winch at the front of the cargo bay, and strut points along the sides.

On a related note, the reason I stopped building cargo aircraft is that I can't secure payloads into the cargo bay in a useful manner, because KAS struts are far too weak to do the job they're intended to do.

If I need a strut in the first place (more than ~20t across a Sr. docking port), they act like Slinky springs.

What I'm trying to say is that the connections between KAS Strut endpoints are too weak by a factor of 10 or more.

I've edited the config of the struts on my install, but it would be nice to not have to edit parts if I want them to work the way they're supposed to work.

This whole "weak KAS struts" thing might be because I use KJR, it would be nice if KAS included a MM patch to increase the strength of its own connections when it detects KJR is installed if that is the case.

I use KJR as well, but haven't been able to get it to the point where I was able to make this work where I could see how things behave in the craft once I winched it in. My other angle toward getting this to work was to build the cargo into the craft in the SPH, connected with docking ports. I've had trouble with that as well, but *might* have found that building the large (Sr.) docking ports in a docked configuration works in the SPH.

There are also issues with the wheels of the cargo falling through the bottom of the cargo plane in certain circumstances.

Cheers,

-BS

I'm looking for a specific KAS part that i remember being part of the mod, perhaps I am mistaken. Ive looked in many places but I cannot locate it in the install.

title = Container Type A

manufacturer = Sklifosovsky Labs

description = A KAS dedicated container for storing grabbable parts. Right click on it to edit content.

Perhaps I am just dense here, can anyone help me out? I really liked to look of the model.