[1.1.2] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.5.8

KospY

4 minutes ago, Veeltch said:

Can I have a request? Could you add a part that has the same functionality as the fuel pipe? Except bigger. The corridors you can see between modules on this picture. Just so we don't have to pretend that we are somehow magically 'liquifying' kerbals when transfering them through a base. Unless it's already possible, but I don't know how to do it?

Not exactly what you are looking for but MKS has a part which is essentially a larger size KAS pipe.

32 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Not exactly what you are looking for but MKS has a part which is essentially a larger size KAS pipe.

Eh. I was planning to watch some MKS tutorials anyway so I might as well download the mod and try it out.

Love this mod, and as a perverse way of expressing it I present the worlds most pedantic and pointless bug report (which isn't actually a bug and just a very very very minor annoyance for the spelling pedants among us):

You spelt Length wrong in the maxLenght parameter of KASModuleWinch :sticktongue:

Edited by Chonner

20 minutes ago, Raitter X said:

Its just me who getting problems in pumping fuel to other tanks?Its says its pumping but its not increasing nor decreasing fuel in the tank

Sorry for my bad english

The "pump here" button is so the pipes work similar to the stock fuel lines. To transfer between tanks use the stock method (alt-right click) on Windows. 

2 hours ago, ExplorerKlatt said:

The "pump here" button is so the pipes work similar to the stock fuel lines. To transfer between tanks use the stock method (alt-right click) on Windows. 

Thank you man,i didn't know about that method,it's my first time making bases xD

2 hours ago, mr. engino said:

I have a suggestion. Could you add a trailer hitch type of attachment?

Not tryin to be a yutz here but....

You can also use two uncontrolled IR Pivitrons and an RKE Kanadarm docking port. You'll also need Quantum or Active Struts to secure the hitch when disconnected or else it will drop / turn out of Wack. I guess I didn't do a great job of showing it but, here's a video with that hitch.

18 minutes ago, V8jester said:

Not tryin to be a yutz here but....

You can also use two uncontrolled IR Pivitrons and an RKE Kanadarm docking port. You'll also need Quantum or Active Struts to secure the hitch when disconnected or else it will drop / turn out of Wack. I guess I didn't do a great job of showing it but, here's a video with that hitch.

thats a tad complicated, but i will try it. was hoping for actual ball joint type hitch though...

Help please.  I may be doing it wrong but I cant get fuel to the engine using KAS pipes.  Here is the ship disabled in space as only 1 of the 4 "symmetric" fuel lines connected in the VAB :'(

AHGZy76.png

I tried installing KAS to run a pipe from the tank to the engine but KAS will not let me install the pipe fitting on the engine.  Am i doing it wrong or is this ship not salvageable

36 minutes ago, Nich said:

Help please.  I may be doing it wrong but I cant get fuel to the engine using KAS pipes.  Here is the ship disabled in space as only 1 of the 4 "symmetric" fuel lines connected in the VAB :'(

AHGZy76.png

I tried installing KAS to run a pipe from the tank to the engine but KAS will not let me install the pipe fitting on the engine.  Am i doing it wrong or is this ship not salvageable

So the Pipes are for fuel transfer not fuel flow. Think of them as the refueling truck. Not the fuel injector for your engine. The idea woul be send another ship to that one. Either use KAS to install a docking port on that ship and dock another one to it to transfer fuel to its tanks. Or if it was landed use a pipe to connect two ships together. And again transfer fuel from one tank to another. The fuel lines in the VAB and the KAS pipes are used for different applications.

2 hours ago, ExplorerKlatt said:

I am pretty sure he is trying to use them like stock fuel lines. 

@Nich The most engines do not allow surface attachment to the engine. This is why the end point will not connect. 

Can the fuel pipe be used this way? I honestly had never tried it like that. I was always under the impression they where fuel "transfer" only not fuel "flow"

Or maybe I'm just overthinking it, it's been known to happen :P

32 minutes ago, V8jester said:

Can the fuel pipe be used this way? I honestly had never tried it like that. I was always under the impression they where fuel "transfer" only not fuel "flow"

Or maybe I'm just overthinking it, it's been known to happen :P

No, it cannot. The pipeline in KAS is actually just a connector that "joins" two ships into one. This allows transferring staff and resources. The stock fuel line is an active part which dynamically transfers fuel in the fly. Supporting of stock compound parts (e.g. EAS-4 strut, fuelline) in KAS is unlikely since it's very complicated from the technical perspective. KSP developers haven't provided good API to interact with such active parts.

Edited by IgorZ

On 18.2.2016 at 9:03 PM, IgorZ said:

The stock fuel line is an active part which dynamically transfers fuel in the fly. Supporting of stock compound parts (e.g. EAS-4 strut, fuelline) in KAS is unlikely since it's very complicated from the technical perspective. KSP developers haven't provided good API to interact with such active parts.

Quite the opposite actually, the KAS pipes already have this function: there is a "pump here" / "stop pumping" action available on each end of a connected KAS pipe, which turns it into a fuel line of the corresponding direction.

Fuel lines only affect the flow logic when engines search for fuel. So if you connect two half-full tanks with a fuel line, nothing is actively transferred.

On 18.2.2016 at 3:31 PM, Nich said:

Fuel lines do not need to go directly to the engine. It is enough if they go to a tank or other (fuel crossfeed enabled?) part that the engine already 'sees'. I would try other parts in the stack, or one tank that it correctly draining. The second might lead to asymmetric draining of the tanks but at least you can reach the fuel.

OMG thank you :)  tank to tank worked but not symetrically.  Tank to command pod drained fuel symetrically after fuel line tank was emptied.  So A I have to do is remove the working fuel line and set up 4 fuel lines to the pod and turn on pump here for each :D 

0egOvqY.png

XYfH5qn.png

• 2 weeks later...

How can i prevent my ship from exploding when i try moving a part from one surface to another?

Edit: Must've been 64bit wigging out or something. Rebooted the game and everything went well. 

Edited by jcthemc

I had an issue a few versions back where I would put the little strut connectors on craft, go into space, EVA, and attach them together for extra stability.  Then I'd have a ship fly up and dock with the station.  When I would undock the ship from my station all my struts I spent time connecting would suddenly disconnect.  I remember someone saying this was a bug in a previous version. I believe it was happening when KSP was at 1.0.4.  Does anyone know if this issue was fixed?  I haven't tried recreating it yet as I just started playing 1.0.5 this past week or two.

9 hours ago, blackrabbit said:

I had an issue a few versions back where I would put the little strut connectors on craft, go into space, EVA, and attach them together for extra stability.  Then I'd have a ship fly up and dock with the station.  When I would undock the ship from my station all my struts I spent time connecting would suddenly disconnect.  I remember someone saying this was a bug in a previous version. I believe it was happening when KSP was at 1.0.4.  Does anyone know if this issue was fixed?  I haven't tried recreating it yet as I just started playing 1.0.5 this past week or two.

I noticed this issue couple of times on the new version so, I'd say it's not fixed. Interesting thing here is that if you restart the game and reload the save file, there will be no issue :( So far I was unable to reproduce it stably: on the same save file it may or may not happen. If you manage to come up with reproducing steps on a clear game setup then fixing the issue would be much more easy.