[1.1.2] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.5.8

KospY

9 hours ago, SteveD80 said:

Instability Issue:

I have been building a mining outpost on Minmus.  I landed the various modules with plans to connect them with KAS fuel lines.  Some of the parts are a bit far away and so I walked until my pipe turned red, backed up and dropped a CB1 Ground Base attached a couple of fuel attachments to it and continued on.  I think my longest line had 6 CB1 Ground Bases.  I turned on my drills and ISRU's and left to get the next module.  When I tried to land half the base exploded.  So I was wondering if there is anything I can do to make it more stable; preferably without rearranging my modules.

I think that if you look back through this thread, you'll see that this is a long-standing stock issue with very long bases, especially if they're attached to the ground at multiple points. If memory serves, there are two things you can do to mitigate the problem:

1) Only attach to the ground at one point.

2) Don't make your base really long. (Remember that those pipe connections make the whole thing into one big vessel)

Hello I am missing the "winch port M" and cannot get the winch to work without it. I've tried installing with CKAN and Manually but part is still missing. I also have KIS installed. Am I doing something wrong?

I have reproduced this issue in a clean install with only KAS and KIS mods installed. The little winch port connector which is crucial for the mod simply doesn't exist anywhere in the editor.

Edited by Hejnfelt

15 hours ago, SteveD80 said:

Instability Issue:

I have been building a mining outpost on Minmus.  I landed the various modules with plans to connect them with KAS fuel lines.  Some of the parts are a bit far away and so I walked until my pipe turned red, backed up and dropped a CB1 Ground Base attached a couple of fuel attachments to it and continued on.  I think my longest line had 6 CB1 Ground Bases.  I turned on my drills and ISRU's and left to get the next module.  When I tried to land half the base exploded.  So I was wondering if there is anything I can do to make it more stable; preferably without rearranging my modules.

As already mentioned above, you need to make your base less long. Disconnecting CB1's from the ground may also help but given you have 6 hoops no guarantee. IIRC max length of the pipe is 20m so, your base is at least 120m long. I'd not expect stability of such base :)  KAS needs a flexible pipe but it's in prototyping for now.

8 hours ago, _Astra_ said:

Tried again without any rotation and lost grapple with a message saying "force: 107.0404"

Could you please give a video or a series of screenshots to demonstrate the issue? It's expected for the hooks to disconnect when breaking force is too strong. The only question is how does this force appear.

5 hours ago, Hejnfelt said:

Hello I am missing the "winch port M" and cannot get the winch to work without it. I've tried installing with CKAN and Manually but part is still missing. I also have KIS installed. Am I doing something wrong?

I have reproduced this issue in a clean install with only KAS and KIS mods installed. The little winch port connector which is crucial for the mod simply doesn't exist anywhere in the editor.

Not sure which part you're referring. There is a port called "CC-R2 Connector Port", it's the only port that can connect with the winch heads. You can also attach winch head to harpoons and grapples.

If you look in your 1st post in this thread you have a list of images for parts. There is a picture of a part called "Winch port M" and this part is missing in the editor. All the tutorials and reviews of KAS specifically mention how important this part is and without it, the mod won't work.

I am trying to build a skycrane with your mod and when I attached the winch to a grapple or magnet without this part, it seems like the winch isn't actually connected to these parts at all :/

1 hour ago, Hejnfelt said:

If you look in your 1st post in this thread you have a list of images for parts. There is a picture of a part called "Winch port M" and this part is missing in the editor. All the tutorials and reviews of KAS specifically mention how important this part is and without it, the mod won't work.

I am trying to build a skycrane with your mod and when I attached the winch to a grapple or magnet without this part, it seems like the winch isn't actually connected to these parts at all :/

The picture you're referring explicitly says "Winch merged part". Just try attaching winch on a vessel and play with it at the launch pad. You'll find this "winch port M" (a.k.a. "winch head") at the edge of the cable.

As for " it seems like the winch isn't actually connected" could you please be more specific on how exactly it does look? Screenshots and videos are welcome. One guess I have is that connection is just breaking due to strong force applied.

Edited by IgorZ

On 24.5.2016 at 3:57 AM, IgorZ said:

Cool. At least some consistency. Please, let me know if you find issues with this patch. I don't use winches so, cannot do good testing. Meanwhile, I'll try to figure out why does this change actually fix the problem.

Just wanted to let you know that so far no strange things occured with the connectors. Had several fuel transfers on Minmus and Ike so far and always the connector correctly just fall to the ground when unplugged instead of going crazy.

55 minutes ago, Tekener said:

Just wanted to let you know that so far no strange things occured with the connectors. Had several fuel transfers on Minmus and Ike so far and always the connector correctly just fall to the ground when unplugged instead of going crazy.

Thanks! I've created a bug. As soon as I prove this solution is right I'll integrate it into the next version.

Can any of the KAS parts be used to grab kerbals? I have a contract to rescue to kerbals that have got themselves stuck half way up a mountain on a 79 degree slope. The only thing I can think of is to hover above them and grab them with a magnet.

8 hours ago, tomf said:

Can any of the KAS parts be used to grab kerbals? I have a contract to rescue to kerbals that have got themselves stuck half way up a mountain on a 79 degree slope. The only thing I can think of is to hover above them and grab them with a magnet.

If you use MechJeb then you can do it with a regular winch. Hover over the stuck kerbal, extend the cable, switch to the victim, catch the winch head (hotkey "Y"), switch back to the vessel and retract the cable. Then just fly away with the kerbal attached to a flat surface to do re-grouping.

Edited by IgorZ

On ‎26‎.‎05‎.‎2016 at 2:59 PM, Gryphon said:

I think that if you look back through this thread, you'll see that this is a long-standing stock issue with very long bases, especially if they're attached to the ground at multiple points. If memory serves, there are two things you can do to mitigate the problem:

1) Only attach to the ground at one point.

2) Don't make your base really long. (Remember that those pipe connections make the whole thing into one big vessel)

I have this problem myself, has not used ground bases and thought perhaps it would help as it would be an stable rood node but it looks like this is not the case.
Benefit of using winches is that you can do an emergency unplug off all using the winch interface.
This game really has an issue with only one quick save copy in this situations.

8 hours ago, magnemoe said:

I have this problem myself, has not used ground bases and thought perhaps it would help as it would be an stable rood node but it looks like this is not the case.
Benefit of using winches is that you can do an emergency unplug off all using the winch interface.
This game really has an issue with only one quick save copy in this situations.

Nereid's got a mod for that:

Is there a weight limit on the winches?

I have a rather large spaceplane with which I am trying to transport a 4.1 tonne rover, sporting a nuclear reactor and an ISRU converter, and the attachment port is directly above the CoM. I am trying to winch it up into a large cargo bay, as using docking ports would be impractical for this endeavour.

Instead of the rover being winched up however, the winch gets ripped off the cargo bay, lands on the rover and blows up (in typical Kerbal fashion). I've attached a video as well.

Is this a bug or is there something I am actually doing wrong, perhaps with the attachment of the winch?

I can provide the .craft files if needed, they would require the B9 pack, Near Future Electrical/Propulsion and maybe KAX, I don't think they use parts from any other mods.

I don't use Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, when I did the wheels would immediately break upon attaching the winch to the rover. The video was recorded without this mod installed.

In the meantime, are there any other diagnostics I can provide?

Cheers.

My winch cables are flowing upwards on Minmus?

On one occasion it did fly sideways as if there was some wind, but in recent tests they did invariably float upwards.

Kind of hard to grap that way... Is this a bug? Or some error on my part and/or in my save/game?

Anyone else having a problem like this?

9 hours ago, Telvee32 said:

Is there a weight limit on the winches?

I have a rather large spaceplane with which I am trying to transport a 4.1 tonne rover, sporting a nuclear reactor and an ISRU converter, and the attachment port is directly above the CoM. I am trying to winch it up into a large cargo bay, as using docking ports would be impractical for this endeavour.

Instead of the rover being winched up however, the winch gets ripped off the cargo bay, lands on the rover and blows up (in typical Kerbal fashion). I've attached a video as well.

Is this a bug or is there something I am actually doing wrong, perhaps with the attachment of the winch?

I can provide the .craft files if needed, they would require the B9 pack, Near Future Electrical/Propulsion and maybe KAX, I don't think they use parts from any other mods.

I don't use Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, when I did the wheels would immediately break upon attaching the winch to the rover. The video was recorded without this mod installed.

In the meantime, are there any other diagnostics I can provide?

Cheers.

Could you please check log (KSP.log) for messages? The winch itself doesn't have mass limitation but it's attached via normal KSP means. I.e. the joint between the winch and the craft has a breaking force limit.

Btw, try retracting cable with lower speed (open winch GUI and set the speed). It may help.

8 hours ago, Tokay Gris said:

On one occasion it did fly sideways as if there was some wind, but in recent tests they did invariably float upwards.

Kind of hard to grap that way... Is this a bug? Or some error on my part and/or in my save/game?

There is a bug created. If you browse this forum up you'll find a patched KAS binary that fixes the problem. Full fix is to be expected in the next version.

Edited by IgorZ

"There is a bug created. If you browse this forum up you'll find a patched KAS binary that fixes the problem. Full fix is to be expected in the next version."

Many thanks!

In this rendezvous on the ground I was able to jump up and catch the cable in flight (this being Minmus, good ol' Mike could jump almost to the top of the vessel).

Will try that!

Edited by Tokay Gris

[WRN 19:25:16.487] [KAS] OnJointBreak(Core) A joint broken on Winch RW-50 !, force: 1022.791
[LOG 19:25:16.488] [F: 25120]: [00:02:11]: Structural failure on linkage between Winch RW-50 and S2 Wide Body Cargo Bay 6m.
[LOG 19:25:16.499] [KAS] OnSave(Core) Docked joint detected, saving info...
[LOG 19:25:16.500] [KAS] OnSave(Winch) Winch head deployed, saving info...
[LOG 19:25:16.500] [KAS] OnSave(Core) Docked joint detected, saving info...

This is what I found in KSP.log. Trying to winch up at a much lower speed doesn't help, I've tried various different winch speeds all the way down to 0.05, the force of the failure is always around the 1000 mark.

14 hours ago, Tokay Gris said:

Same here, also on Ike think its because of the low gravity, its an old problem.
One solution would be that kerbals could grap an plugged endpoint as they could in older versions. 
the loose wires has broken solar panels before. 

another thing, had it be posible to remove / delete the stup of broken solar panels or radiators? Now its hard to replace as you can not put it close the the stub. 

can I tow another craft ( small craft ) with a kerbal? I have attached a winch to the craft and with the kerbal grabbed the cable but this keep extending , I tryed the lock function but I think it is not what I need 

Edited by brusura

For me the radial winch handles a 5 ton base module no problem. I have it attached by one of its stack nodes to an Infernal Robotics piston or truss, I don't know if it's different when surface attached. I even deliberately swung the load around by moving the winch itself (with the IR parts) and it didn't break anything easily.

Edited by cantab

Have you tried to attach girder or truss part first on hull and then winch on it ? You can then put additional struts between girder and hull. Seems like surface attached winch have weaker connection compared to winch attached to node.

16 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

Have you tried to attach girder or truss part first on hull and then winch on it ? You can then put additional struts between girder and hull. Seems like surface attached winch have weaker connection compared to winch attached to node.

Yes, I have also had the winch attached to a cubic octagonal strut, which was in turn attached to the cargo bay with rather a lot of struts, and the same result. In this case, the winch is ripped off the girder which remains in place.

Edited by Telvee32