[1.1.2] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.5.8

KospY

Hey everyone.

Got back in touch with Kospy today and I planned to rework some models I did and make some other to replace the placeholders.

Here is a WIP of the winch I'm retexturing to make it as stock as possible. It still need to be improved but I think it will fit better than the actual I did a few time ago.

What do you think?

KqF390c.jpg

win75: thats sick! totaly looks like the stock art style. how would look a 1.25 version?

KospY: amazing the thing you are working on!

I have a tiny request for the next version.

Could you make that when the right click menu is displayed, I can press G to grab that part? I did this intuitively very often with no results (with intuitively I mean that the menu says "press G" haha)

First I'd like to thank you for your work, KAS gives another layer of gameplay that to my mind should have existed in the first place. Keep up the good work!

I am having an issue with KAS and USI mods (namely: MKS/OKS and Exploration Pack). I am landed on Duna and the parts from the aforementioned mods explode on 'drop'. I posted it on the MKS/OKS site and I was told it is a KAS issue so I am posting it here also. I apologise if it is already known I checked the github issues area and could not find it.

I would very much appreciate it if you could look into this. KAS and MKS/OKS are such good mods I don't think I can play without them :P

Edited by senag2

Wait, so Kerbals no longer auto-equip things to their backs (and can no longer mount many things on their backs at all?)

Whaaa, this means no more Kerbal paradrops using the stock radial parachutes!

And completely breaks The Kerbal Skydiving Challenge I created!

Regards,

Northstar

Not only that they can not have missiles from BDArmory on there backs and fire from backpack style...

Not only that they can not have missiles from BDArmory on there backs and fire from backpack style...

Actually, according to KospY Kerbals will still be able to equip accessories and such on their backs, but they will also be able to have stuff mounted in different places (Head, back, hands), meaning with some config editing your could probably still have a missile on the kerbal's back WHILE wearing cool glasses and a hat!

ten characters
Actually, according to KospY Kerbals will still be able to equip accessories and such on their backs, but they will also be able to have stuff mounted in different places (Head, back, hands), meaning with some config editing your could probably still have a missile on the kerbal's back WHILE wearing cool glasses and a hat!

NO, NO, NO!

No offense to either of you- it was just my first reaction to how wrong you were.

You, and Gaiiden (who posted that 10char response before) completely mis-understand the changes if you think that's how it works.

KospY was quite clear that only parts which have been explicitly coded to do so can now be equipped on the hands, backs, arms, etc. Which means the stock radial parachutes used for the Kerbal Skydiving Challenge- not going to work anymore (as stock 'chutes, they obviously have not been coded to work with KAS as back-equippable parts!)

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

NO, NO, NO!

Jesus, calm down.

First, that thread hasn't seen any activity since the 22 July. Second, if you have to download a mod to do a challenge, then the code/cfg needed to equip the chute to the back can also be included (KospY as said that physical linking like the one you want will be available, it just needs to be defined as such in the part.cfg - like it already is. I suggest you read the quote that Gaiiden linked). It'll go in your inventory when you grab it and you can attach it to your back from there.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

Unfortunately yes. KIS run as a stand alone, and it use is own module name to avoid conflict.

Thx ! It's nice to know that I'm on the right track :)

Currently the prototype is not balanced. But don't expect the mod to be too realistic, I'm more focused to make it practical.

Anyways, eva and container max volume can be changed easly

It's always possible to have stuff attached to the back of a kerbal, but only for part configured for this.

Procedure is also different, when you grab a part, it go to the inventory first. You have to right click on the item to equip/unequip it.

The screwdriver equiped on the screenshot work like this

For information, equip part/item will get 3 options defined in the part cfg :

- Model > show only the 3d model on kerbal

- Coupled > part will be spawned and coupled to the kerbal (ex : EVA extender)

- Coupled with physic > part will be be spawned and coupled to the kerbal with a physic joint between them (ex : eva parachute)

Well spotted Helix935 :)

KIS is no more limited to jetpack or helmet, all "bones" is available. That mean you can equip items anywhere (hands, foots, arm, jetpack, head, etc...), and they will follow the kerbal animation.

I let you imagine what you can do with that (tools, apparels, weapons, etc...)

So, KospY, what *IS* all this stuff about "KIS"?

I understand that you removed the functionality to auto-equip grabbed parts to a Kerbal's back, but it seems you've broken off some of the new functionalities into what you call "KIS". Is this a separate mode entirely (and if so, where can we find the thread? A link would be helpful for those of us who wanted KAS for some of those EVA construction functionalities in the first place), or just a new module within the KAS.dll? (I didn't *see* any new .dll files, so I'm assuming it's not an entirely new file w/in the KAS folder)

Regards,

Northstar

Jesus, calm down.

First, that thread hasn't seen any activity since the 22 July. Second, if you have to download a mod to do a challenge, then the code/cfg needed to equip the chute to the back can also be included (KospY as said that physical linking like the one you want will be available, it just needs to be defined as such in the part.cfg - like it already is. I suggest you read the quote that Gaiiden linked). It'll go in your inventory when you grab it and you can attach it to your back from there.

How many times must I state this. That will *not* work for most parts. They have to be explicitly coded to allow it for that to work.

However, in reviewing the KAS file just a second ago (looking for anything called "KIS"), I noticed a file called MM_Squad that I hadn't seen before...

As it turns out, this a ModuleManager patch file that *includes just such a patch to the stock radial chute*, making it attachable with a physicsjoint (so that it can actually work to slow the Kerbal down during a skydive) to a Kerbal on EVA.

It won't work for parts *without* that explicit coding, however. But KospY included it for the part I was upset about, so I'm happy. :)

As for the challenge thread- I created the thread, and I intend to submit a new entry to it myself in the relatively near future... And when other players see it pop back to the top of the Challenge thread, they'll probably consider making an entry themselves (in fact, since it works, why don't you?)

Regards,

Northstar

As it turns out, this a ModuleManager patch file that *includes just such a patch to the stock radial chute*, making it attachable with a physicsjoint (so that it can actually work to slow the Kerbal down during a skydive) to a Kerbal on EVA.

It won't work for parts *without* that explicit coding, however. But KospY included it for the part I was upset about, so I'm happy. :)

I could be wrong, but I think that cfg has been around for ages. And coding a part to do this makes it seem a lot harder than it actually is, which (currently) is just changing a 'false' to a 'true'.

I would submit, but I'm a little preoccupied with Chronologically Lost at the minute :P

How many times must I state this. That will *not* work for most parts. They have to be explicitly coded to allow it for that to work.

However, in reviewing the KAS file just a second ago (looking for anything called "KIS"), I noticed a file called MM_Squad that I hadn't seen before...

As for the challenge thread- I created the thread, and I intend to submit a new entry to it myself in the relatively near future... And when other players see it pop back to the top of the Challenge thread, they'll probably consider making an entry themselves (in fact, since it works, why don't you?)

Regards,

Northstar

Deal with it :)

xFxGnt8.png

Sorry about pizzas, it's my test part and I'm only using it to demonstratre capabilies :) (Also thanks to Locob for his glasses)

More seriously, in the current prototype, the only code for a physic part with KIS is this (pretty similar to KAS) :

MODULE
{
name = KISModuleItem
onUse = equip
equipMode = physic
equipPos = (0,-0.02,-0.12)
equipDir = (270,0,0)
}

Anyway, from my point of view it's usefull only for the parachute. Also, eva only have one rigidbody, so the part didn't move on the back and it look weird.

The best will be to create a eva parachute item, show it as model on back and handle the parachute module directly on eva. I will maybe see that point later.

So, KospY, what *IS* all this stuff about "KIS"?

I understand that you removed the functionality to auto-equip grabbed parts to a Kerbal's back, but it seems you've broken off some of the new functionalities into what you call "KIS". Is this a separate mode entirely (and if so, where can we find the thread? A link would be helpful for those of us who wanted KAS for some of those EVA construction functionalities in the first place), or just a new module within the KAS.dll? (I didn't *see* any new .dll files, so I'm assuming it's not an entirely new file w/in the KAS folder)

Regards,

Northstar

Stock part by default will not have the option to be on the kerbal back, simply because it's useless with the inventory system. Also, it remove the need to patch and update every stock part with module manager or something else. No more worries about new version of KSP. However, if you want to equip a stock part for any reason it's always possible to add the module.

At last, KIS is WIP, I thought about release it as standalone first (so no problem about KAS compatibility issues), but nothing is sure at the moment, I will maybe need KAS functionality to handle bigger containers (that the real difficulty, and I'm trying to find a way to do it properly), so no new thread about KIS at the moment.

Edited by KospY

Sorry about pizzas

Sorry about pizzas? Why on earth would anyone be sorry about pizza!?

An interesting thing from that picture though: it seems to me that the little window with the kerbal's head contains a render of the kerbal, instead of a static picture. If that is true, this would imply that it would also work with TextureReplacer's custom heads. How wrong am I?

Sorry about pizzas? Why on earth would anyone be sorry about pizza!?

An interesting thing from that picture though: it seems to me that the little window with the kerbal's head contains a render of the kerbal, instead of a static picture. If that is true, this would imply that it would also work with TextureReplacer's custom heads. How wrong am I?

I did not say, but every icon is a 3D object, like the editor part view. That mean there is no icon image to do for every part, it's all automatic.

About kerbal, I'm using a camera parented to the eva, so it reflect the current look. So yes it will work.

Edited by KospY

http://i.imgur.com/xFxGnt8.png

Sorry about pizzas, it's my test part and I'm only using it to demonstratre capabilies :) (Also thanks to Locob for his glasses)

More seriously, in the current prototype, the only code for a physic part with KIS is this (pretty similar to KAS) :

MODULE
{
name = KISModuleItem
onUse = equip
equipMode = physic
equipDir = (270,0,0)
}

Anyway, from my point of view it's usefull only for the parachute. Also, eva only have one rigidbody, so the part didn't move on the back and it look weird.

The best will be to create a eva parachute item, show it as model on back and handle the parachute module directly on eva. I will maybe see that point later.

Stock part by default will not have the option to be on the kerbal back, simply because it's useless with the inventory system. Also, it remove the need to patch and update every stock part with module manager or something else. No more worries about new version of KSP. However, if you want to equip a stock part for any reason it's always possible to add the module.

At last, KIS is WIP, I thought about release it as standalone first (so no problem about KAS compatibility issues), but nothing is sure at the moment, I will maybe need KAS functionality to handle bigger containers (that the real difficulty, and I'm trying to find a way to do it properly), so no new thread about KIS at the moment.

Awesome, thanks for posting that. I couldn't understand why all the panic. You clearly never said that we would be losing anything w/ your new KIS direction. Everything you stated was an increase in KAS/KIS capability. KospY great direction for your mods, keep up the outstanding work. It's much appreciated.

http://i.imgur.com/xFxGnt8.png

MODULE
{
name = KISModuleItem
onUse = equip
equipMode = physic
equipDir = (270,0,0)
}

Never apologize about Pizza.

Hey, I was wondering, would it be possible to give KAS functionality to something other than an EVA kerbal? Such as having a robotic arm that can grab KAS parts and all the things EVA kerbals can do?

Or is it only EVA kerbals that can have this functionality?

Still loving this mod.

One request (and if it has been discussed before, please accept my apologies): Is it possible to include, in the future, a rotating crane "motor"? Kinda useless to have these winches and cranes, but you can't rotate them around and drop / pick-up elsewhere. IE - with 0.25, they have cargo bays with opening/closing doors. A rotating crane that can lift something out of that bay, and rotate to either side, and lower it to the ground.

If something like that already exists...I've yet to discover it. Thanks!

Still loving this mod.

One request (and if it has been discussed before, please accept my apologies): Is it possible to include, in the future, a rotating crane "motor"? Kinda useless to have these winches and cranes, but you can't rotate them around and drop / pick-up elsewhere. IE - with 0.25, they have cargo bays with opening/closing doors. A rotating crane that can lift something out of that bay, and rotate to either side, and lower it to the ground.

If something like that already exists...I've yet to discover it. Thanks!

Infernal Robotics is what you are looking for: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/37707-0-25-Magic-Smoke-Industries-Infernal-Robotics-0-19-2

Hi, I think I found an interesting bug with how KAS interacts with Stock Rebalance Project and by extension, zero-mass but physically significant items.

KSP 0.25 (x86), Windows 8.1, KAS 0.4.9. Only other mods installed are Stock Rebalance Project (to make items zero mass) and Module Manager (to actually make items zero mass).

PROBLEM: KAS doesn't grab these items and instead, they explode after a few seconds, but are still available to grab out of containers.. and explode and then grab etc etc.. This is probably because Stock Rebalance Project makes these particular science sensors (thermometer, barometer, gravioli and seismic detector) not weigh anything i.e. their mass is 0. I haven't tested with other items but I think they'll behave the same way.

LOGS: If I grab such an item from a container, the following appears in the output_log:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at Vessel.findLocalCenterOfMass () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ProtoVessel..ctor (.Vessel VesselRef) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Vessel.Initialize (Boolean fromShipAssembly) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KAS.KAS_Shared.CreatePart (.AvailablePart avPart, Vector3 position, Quaternion rotation, .Part flagFromPart) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KAS.KAS_Shared.CreatePart (System.String partname, Vector3 position, Quaternion rotation, .Part flagFromPart) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KAS.KASModuleContainer.Take (KAS.PartContent avPart) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KAS.KASModuleContainer.GuiContentList (System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2 contentsList, ShowButton showButton, KAS.KASModuleContainer actionContainer, Vector2 scrollPos, Boolean showTotal, KAS.KASModuleContainer destContainer, Single scrollHeight) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KAS.KASModuleContainer.GuiMainWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

at Vessel.findLocalCenterOfMass () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at OrbitDriver.TrackRigidbody (.CelestialBody refBody) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at OrbitDriver.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Vessel.findWorldCenterOfMass () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Vessel.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Body::setMass: mass is 0.000000, should be positive!

(Filename: ..\..\Physics\src\NpActor.cpp Line: 175)

Full output_log.txt is here. Please ignore the HandleD3DDeviceLost entries at the end, they are just because I Alt+Tabbed away from KSP to write this post.

Look forward to the fix :)

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

I'm having a small problem with KAS.

I have an SSTO plane on the runway and a refuelling truck.

I grab the KAS pipe from the truck and walk to the plane with it strapped to the kerbal's back as normal, I then right click on the KAS attachment point on the plane and select Plug(Docked) so I can refuel the plane. At this point, both the plane and the truck disappear and I am left with just the kerbal standing there. When I return to the space centre or tracking station, both the plane and the truck are gone.

The plane and truck don't disappear if I use Plug(Undocked) but then obviously I cannot do a fuel transfer.

Any ideas ?

thanks

Edited by sysigy