[SOLVED] Broken Flag Decals

Okiedoke, so long story short, im having problems getting the flag decals to work properly. Most of them are fine, but the ones that have transparent sections with an alpha channel (like the default KSP logo flag) are coming up like this...

brokenflag_zpsdd6b9712.jpg

And here's how they look in Unity

brokenflag2_zps407ef1eb.jpg

Should i be placing a KSP transparency/alpha texture shader on them? Or am i missing something completely obvious. The cfg's are fine, since you can see them ingame. And the dimensions are precise to the dimensions the flags should be now.

Any help would be appreciated folks. There's barely any documentation on flag decals other than "transform in modelling program/unity, then shove appropriate code into the cfg."

Edited by Stevie_D

Hiys just run a test on my own flag decals and yes to get the transparent effect apply a KSP/Alpha/Translucent shader in unity.

To get the best results for the decal. i found it best to create the quad in my modelling app and map the uvs for a standard KSP flag, then all the others should fit fine, thats how it worked for me at least.

Hope this helps

Good tip, if i do that however I wont be able to see my flag part or will I???, i use it for stuff that doesn't have a flag or when i want bigger flags than standard.

Hope you dont mind me asking another flag related question while we're talking flags? any way here it is. How do i get my transparent flags to show in the flag selection menu?

I've got them in a Flags folder, they are the correct size, I've checked the properties of the standard squad transparent flag and see no difference in color profile size type etc, tried everything , any ideas??

Cheers

Spanner

Not at all, Spanner. Im curious myself. As i say, far too little info on the internet about ksp flag modding.

Thanks for the answers so far folks, i put it to use, and voila, solved! Again, thanks so much you guys.

solved_zpsdce1d8c1.jpg

Edited by Stevie_D

Good tip, if i do that however I wont be able to see my flag part or will I???, i use it for stuff that doesn't have a flag or when i want bigger flags than standard.

Hope you dont mind me asking another flag related question while we're talking flags? any way here it is. How do i get my transparent flags to show in the flag selection menu?

I've got them in a Flags folder, they are the correct size, I've checked the properties of the standard squad transparent flag and see no difference in color profile size type etc, tried everything , any ideas??

Cheers

Spanner

is the PNG extention capitalized? should be lower case. other than that I don't know why they wouldn't be showing up... Any png in Flags or Agencies folders should show up in flag selection. the size don't really matter.

polygon count and size don't matter; it's all in the UV. you can make a whole fuselage a flag if you wanted to. It's quite good if you take the time to manipulate the part you want to use as flagTransform when creating assets. If Squad had made the thing selectable instead of only showing mission flag it would be much more useful. fortunately Mihara fixed that with PartUtilities before going MIA.

Edited by nli2work

Hm, ok. So essentially I need to set up my UV to the length/width ratio of the flag?

fill the full UV space. 0,0 to 1,1. the texture is stretched to fill the entire UV space. the textures are at the sized they are now because it's more common to see a flag in that shape instead of a square. the game doesnt' care what size or aspect the texture is.

in KSP; Max; and the UV layout of the chunks top to bottom. UV space is repeated by default so it's usually safe to shift patches by increments of 1 in either direction. top part in KSP has basic KSP translucent shader; lower part has basic KSP diffuse shader. Alot of the newer agency flags don't work with Diffuse shader, so beware.

BsWnRGS.jpg

Edited by nli2work

fill the full UV space. 0,0 to 1,1. the texture is stretched to fill the entire UV space. the textures are at the sized they are now because it's more common to see a flag in that shape instead of a square. the game doesnt' care what size or aspect the texture is.

in KSP; Max; and the UV layout of the chunks top to bottom. UV space is repeated by default so it's usually safe to shift patches by increments of 1 in either direction. top part in KSP has basic KSP translucent shader; lower part has basic KSP diffuse shader. Alot of the newer agency flags don't work with Diffuse shader, so beware.

http://i.imgur.com/BsWnRGS.jpg

That did the trick, thank you much! :)

9S7MGkN.png

• 9 months later...

Hi i found this thread while i was looking for a possiblity to add decals to tanks, boosters etc.I have no skill in doing anything as advanced as in this thread, but those pics look like you know how to do such stuff. I would kindly ask a small reuqest: "Can you make a mod, wich adds flagdecals to the bigger stock boosters and stock tanks?"

Hi i found this thread while i was looking for a possiblity to add decals to tanks, boosters etc.I have no skill in doing anything as advanced as in this thread, but those pics look like you know how to do such stuff. I would kindly ask a small reuqest: "Can you make a mod, wich adds flagdecals to the bigger stock boosters and stock tanks?"

Are you asking whether it can be done, or whether someone here will do it? ;)

The answer to the former, is yes, technically the "MODEL {}" blocks can be added via Module Manager, which would permit adding a flag decal mesh. Those flag decals would have to be positioned carefully, probably with a lot of trial and error.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.