Add a header to the "Post New Thread" page.

Padishar

In the 2 new support forums it appears that a large proportion of people are posting without reading the sticky post that explains how to get support. Would it be possible to put some kind of large banner at the top of the "Post New Thread" page (possibly only for those forums, possibly for all) that reminds people of this?

Something like:

Have you read the "Stock Support & Bug Reporting Guide" sticky thread?

...or:

Have you read the "How To Get Support (READ FIRST)" sticky thread?

There already is one in the unmodded section's new thread page, actually. I suppose it could be made to stand out a bit more than it does at present, though. Kasper should be able to do something similar for the modded support section, I should think.

Edited by vexx32

There already is one in the unmodded section's new thread page, actually. I suppose it could be made to stand out a bit more than it does at present, though. Kasper should be able to do something similar for the modded support section, I should think.

So there is, I hadn't spotted that. Well, it should certainly be possible to add the messages then. Yes, that one could definitely stand out more and it doesn't actually say anything about reading the "how to post" sticky...

It has been added to the list.

I think having a link to the sticky in the new-thread screen is an excellent idea.

Great, thanks... It really annoys me when I keep reading rubbish bug reports, I imagine it's much worse when you're a mod and have to keep replying to them (politely)...

• 1 month later...
Looks good KasperVld. Caught my attention and relays a lot of useful information.

Well, after a while of this being in operation, I must say that I am disappointed that the number of people posting without providing the necessary information is still so high. Perhaps this can be made more prominent as a test and also explicitly point out that the poster will not get useful support without providing this info?

Well, after a while of this being in operation, I must say that I am disappointed that the number of people posting without providing the necessary information is still so high. Perhaps this can be made more prominent as a test and also explicitly point out that the poster will not get useful support without providing this info?

Agreed, I haven't noticed a change.

Instead of "Please read the Support instructions thread to learn how you can help us help you." we need more of "Please read and follow the Support Instructions thread if you want us to be able to help you."

Also size 72 rainbow colored.

Surely that would be better than it not being possible to answer >90% of support requests because they don't have the info... I wouldn't suggest size 72 rainbow text, that's a bit much, but around the size and colour in my OP wouldn't be that bad...

Besides, what is there really to complain about? People who do follow the instructions will understand the need for the banner and people that don't certainly don't have any right to complain about it...

• 1 year later...

We still seem to be getting a lot of people posting unhelpful reports and I notice that, since the move to the new forum, we have lost the messages that were added.  Is there any chance these (or something like them) could get added back again?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.