[1.0.2] RKE On-screen Joystick (and Fine Keyboard Controls) v1.2.1 - May 11

spudbean

Latest version complains that it was compiled against 0.24.2 KSP.

Thanks for letting me know. You can ignore that message, it will not impact the running of the plugin. I will do another build in the next few minutes that removes the warning. Thanks again.

*Edit*: 1.0.3 ready for download.

Edited by spudbean

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well done! Liked the ability to switch between craft/plane/rover modes.

But I think it needs a bit smoother mouse control and a mouse capture option. That'll let not to constantly hold LMB while controlling and the whole screen could be used to increase precision. Something like Analog Input. That mod has one more advantage: the 100% transparency while controlling. May be you should co-operate in your work?

Ser: thanks for pointing me to Analog Input. I definitely agree that its transparency mode is a great idea, and so is the "capture" mode where you don't have to be holding down the LMB. I'll have a go at integrating those ideas into my plugin over the weekend.

But I think it needs a bit smoother mouse control

Do you think the lack of smoothness is caused by the small size of the window in RKE Joystick, so it is hard to do "fine" movements because you have to move the mouse with high precision? Or is there more to it than just the window size?

Thanks for your suggestion!

Do you think the lack of smoothness is caused by the small size of the window in RKE Joystick, so it is hard to do "fine" movements because you have to move the mouse with high precision? Or is there more to it than just the window size?

I think the window size may be the main factor of controlling precision if we are speaking of mouse as a controller. Haven't study the source code where you do this but here's my reasoning:

As I understand, you get the mouse position in pixels and map it to control surfaces. If the area of, say, 100 pixels is mapped to 65535 control's positions then one pixel mouse move causes a 655 positions "jump" in control deviation. But if the area is larger, say, 2048 then one mouse pixel is equivalent only to 32 control positions thus it is possible to make smoother inputs.

Even if a control surface has only 255 possible positions, having greater input scale would be better because it'd required less precision of your hand(+mouse and table quality).

But I think it needs a bit smoother mouse control and a mouse capture option.

Done! I've release 1.1.0 which now contains a "full screen" HUD mode (plus some other SAS bugfixes). Here's a screenshot of what it looks like. If you try it out, please let me know what you think.

P3myvI2.png

- - - Updated - - -

Even if a control surface has only 255 possible positions, having greater input scale would be better because it'd required less precision of your hand(+mouse and table quality).

Yes, you are exactly correct about how the code works. If you have a craft with a lot of control (e.g. a plane with a lot of control surfaces, or a rocket with large gimbaling engines) then small mouse (or keyboard) movements will result in large craft movements. Similarly, using RKE Joystick's small window results in less fine control than the bigger window, or (now) fullscreen. The more pixels to move over, the less each pixel controls the craft. (Did you know you can hit the "bigger" button in the RKE Joystick window to make the window slightly bigger?)

Done! I've release 1.1.0 which now contains a "full screen" HUD mode (plus some other SAS bugfixes). Here's a screenshot of what it looks like. If you try it out, please let me know what you think.

Thanks, I'll try it out.

Did you know you can hit the "bigger" button in the RKE Joystick window to make the window slightly bigger?

Yes, I've tried that but that wasn't yet enough.

• 3 weeks later...

1.2.0 released.

- Shortcut key and configurable HUD size and deadzone size (as suggested by DarthWall)

- x^2 response curve. This gives you much more fine control. (As suggested by Ser, and as also implemented by Crzyrndm in the [thread=99126]Analog-Control[/thread] mod.)

• 1 month later...
Hi all! Thanks for your patience, I have just released a new version of this mod that works with 1.0.2. Please let me know if you have any problems.

What a bliss! Thank you spudbean so much! I became overly attached to your mod when flying planes and driving rovers :).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.