[1.2.2] B9 Aerospace | Release 6.2.1 (Old Thread)

bac9

So I did a quick search but didn't see anything jump out at me, but has this been addressed and I just missed it?

http://puu.sh/dpLOs/f741aa4acf.jpg

Looks like the MK2 cockpit doesn't line up with the MK2 parts. Tested all of them I have unlocked so far, and they all line up with eachother, just not the cockpit. Looks like the nodes on the cockpit are off a bit. Any ideas?

It is not the nodes. The B9 Mk2 parts are still the shape of the pre-0.25 Mk2 parts. In 0.25 the Mk2 parts were made vertically symmetrically to allow for stuff like cargo bays to be used as bomb bays as well as other stuff.

So I did a quick search but didn't see anything jump out at me, but has this been addressed and I just missed it?

http://puu.sh/dpLOs/f741aa4acf.jpg

Looks like the MK2 cockpit doesn't line up with the MK2 parts. Tested all of them I have unlocked so far, and they all line up with eachother, just not the cockpit. Looks like the nodes on the cockpit are off a bit. Any ideas?

The new (as of v0.25) stock Mk 2 fuselage cross section has been changed to be symmetrical top-to-bottom, mainly so that the cargo bays can be flipped over to become 'bomb' bays, a feature that a lot of people have been demanding, from what I understand. However, the B9 parts haven't yet been changed to match the shape of the stock parts. I believe that it's planned for a future update, though, if that helps.

Personally, I disagree with Squad's and/or Porkjet's decision to change the shape like that, and to remove the black heat tile texture from the bottoms of all the parts, but since they didn't ask me...

:)

Edit: Heh, fargin' Ninja bastitches! :D

Edited by Neutrinovore
Ninja'd

Thank you for all your answers guys, i managed to build a proper plane and now i'm trying to make a spaceplane. Awesome.

I'm still haunted by the fact i have no idea how to use the FAR windows while building my plane. I'm talking about the "simulate" windows and so on. Any help or tutorial?

Hey all, Small questions....

Tweakscale claims its compatible with B9, but the main post here states an incompatibility. I have seen plenty of builds used with both mods, So i was wondering if it was a new thing or a fixed thing, or what. Using B9 ver. 5.2.6 and trying to use Tweakscale ver. 1.47. The problem hits when i try to place any B9 Engine, the part vanishes and then the game freezes up.

Is there anything I am missing? Or is it really a hard incompatibility at the moment?

Thank you for all your answers guys, i managed to build a proper plane and now i'm trying to make a spaceplane. Awesome.

I'm still haunted by the fact i have no idea how to use the FAR windows while building my plane. I'm talking about the "simulate" windows and so on. Any help or tutorial?

I was trying to find you the thread where someone explained all of it in simplest terms and did it with pictures but I can't remember where it was.

Here is my simple take on those windows.

The first window when you open FAR in the SPH is the AoA flight window, or Angle Of Attack window. This will tell you how the craft will fly at different AoAs, if it will be stable and create lift and roughly when it will stall out and fall out of the sky at a set speed and angle.

The next option in that window is the test mach. Which will give you the crafts flight performance in a graph form at a set AoA through a set of speeds. I usually run mine from Mach 0-6 and have it test 25pts. This way I have a pretty good idea of how the craft will perform as an SSTO, as in KSP you will rarely go over mach 6 with FAR in atmosphere.

The key lines to look for are the CL and CD lines. This with the L/D line will give you an idea of how much drag the craft is creating (CD) and how much lift the craft is creating (CL). While L/D is the Lift over Drag for the craft. You want this to be possitive as much as possible.

Next one is the simulation one, this one has nothing but numbers, you want all of these numbers to be green. If you hover your curser over them it will tell you what each one means and how it affects your craft. I like to test at the key points in a flight. 0.35 at 1km alt, mach 1 at 10km, 2.5mach at 20km, and 5mach at 25km. This way I know how the craft is going to perform at each stage of the flight to space. As long as everything is green or near green I am happy.

This is what a sample of what one of my craft looks like.

fl7elJv.jpg

XCcn1lu.jpg

Mind you those are old FAR pictures but that craft still performs the same.

Here is a newer one for a different craft.

LFWoHSa.jpg

A really easy quick way to get something up :

Design something, stay realistic, if you never saw it flew before it often for good reasons.

When you have everything green below mach 1 (0.35) at sea level you have a good low speed plane.

Then augment the speed to mach 1.2 (worse situation, maximum stress because of shockwave's stuff) and adjust the sweep of the wing toward the back to get closer to a full green screen. Then do the final adjustement, still at mach 1,2, by adding a small wing to the tip of your horizontal wings and roll them upward a bit. You should be able to have like one really small red value left. Then check back to mach 0.35, up to 1.5 and up to 3. Red between mach 1,2 and 1,5 can be tolerated in one value or two. Since everything was tried at the default pressure, it's a bit overbuilt and therefore it should handle a ssto operation.

It's not 100% efficient, there's always some tweaking to do by then trying different speed, but once something is almost able to fly at mach two at sea level, it's quite reliable for other stuff.

either the MM update or the real fuels update seems to have broken the command pods .cfg. now i have no right click menu ingame for them and if i go to the action groups to set the fuel it spams a realfuels error. posting here cause it only doing it with b9 command pods everything else seems to be working fine.

Aborting

at UnityEngine.GUILayoutGroup.GetNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.DoGetRect (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.GetRect (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout.DoButton (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout.Button (System.String text, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RealFuels.ModuleFuelTanks.GUITanks () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

[LOG 00:41:25.090] RF GUITanks exception System.ArgumentException: Getting control 3's position in a group with only 3 controls when doing Repaint

this is the eerror getitng thrown. it only happens witht he cockpits.

Edited by sidfu

Edit 1: Tried the changes and it didn't help. Seems the last patch isn't creating a duplicate module but rather updating it. Now I'm confused

Edit 2: Sorted - TAC-LS provides its own catch all MM patch which was clashing.

Was wondering why my B9 cockpits had two sets of ModularFuelTank modules attached to them and think I've located the problem:

I have TAC-LS and MFT installed, and for these eventualities the B9 pack supplies three different MM patches. One (B9_Aerospace-MFT-RF.cfg) adds MFT capabilities to all relevant B9 parts if MFT is installed. The second (B9_Aerospace-TACLS.cfg) adds TAC-LS resources to all relevant B9 parts if TAC-LS is installed and MFT is not. The last patch (B9_Aerospace-TACLS-MFT-RF.cfg) adds TAC-LS resources to all relevant B9 parts using MFT modules if TAC-LS and MFT are both installed.

This means that in my case (With both MFT and TAC-LS installed) patch one and patch three are both applied causing problems. Patch one (B9_Aerospace-MFT-RF.cfg) needs to be updated so that it is only applied if MFT is installed and TAC-LS is not.

Edited by a__gun
Wrong

Question:

Is there a chance you could make a Part list? I think it would make your mod experience better, because some people would only like certain parts so they know what to delete/not delete from their game data folder. I can help if you want.

-Dmsp

ok fixed the issue with b9 cockpits. go into the B9_Aerospace-MFT-RF.cfg and remove the cockpits in that .cfg and they work fine again. u can still put the other .cfg for tacls in there withotu any problem.

this is what u remove

// Cockpit Tanks {{{
@PART[HL_Aero_Cockpit]:FOR[B9_Aerospace]:NEEDS[modularFuelTanks|RealFuels] {
!RESOURCE[ElectricCharge] {}
!RESOURCE[MonoPropellant] {}
MODULE {
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 190
// 60 MonoPropellant
// 600/60=10 ECharge
// 40*Kerbals=120 generic life support
basemass = 7
baseCost = -1
type = B9_ServiceModule
TANK
{
name = LiquidFuel
maxAmount = 0
}
TANK
{
name = Oxidizer
maxAmount = 0
}
TANK
{
name = MonoPropellant
maxAmount = 60
}
TANK
{
name = ElectricCharge
maxAmount = 600
}
}
}

@PART[B9_Cockpit_M27]:FOR[B9_Aerospace]:NEEDS[modularFuelTanks|RealFuels] {
MODULE {
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 32.5
// 150/60=2.5 ECharge
// 15*Kerbals=30 generic life support
basemass = 2.5
baseCost = -1
type = B9_ServiceModule
TANK
{
name = LiquidFuel
maxAmount = 0
}
TANK
{
name = Oxidizer
maxAmount = 0
}
TANK
{
name = MonoPropellant
maxAmount = 0
}
TANK
{
name = ElectricCharge
maxAmount = 150
}
}
}

@PART[B9_Cockpit_MK2]:FOR[B9_Aerospace]:NEEDS[modularFuelTanks|RealFuels] {
MODULE {
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 21.67
// 100/60=1.67 ECharge
// 10*Kerbals=20 generic life support
basemass = 2
baseCost = -1
type = B9_ServiceModule
TANK
{
name = LiquidFuel
maxAmount = 0
}
TANK
{
name = Oxidizer
maxAmount = 0
}
TANK
{
name = MonoPropellant
maxAmount = 0
}
TANK
{
name = ElectricCharge
maxAmount = 100
}
}
}

@PART[B9_Cockpit_MK5]:FOR[B9_Aerospace]:NEEDS[modularFuelTanks|RealFuels] {
MODULE {
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 32.5
// 150/60=2.5 ECharge
// 10*Kerbals=30 generic life support
basemass = 3.5
baseCost = -1
type = B9_ServiceModule
TANK
{
name = LiquidFuel
maxAmount = 0
}
TANK
{
name = Oxidizer
maxAmount = 0
}
TANK
{
name = MonoPropellant
maxAmount = 0
}
TANK
{
name = ElectricCharge
maxAmount = 150
}
}
}

@PART[B9_Cockpit_S2]:FOR[B9_Aerospace]:NEEDS[modularFuelTanks|RealFuels] {
MODULE {
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 62.5
// 20 MonoPropellant
// 150/60=2.5 ECharge
// 20*Kerbals=40 generic life support
basemass = 3.5
baseCost = -1
type = B9_ServiceModule
TANK
{
name = LiquidFuel
maxAmount = 0
}
TANK
{
name = Oxidizer
maxAmount = 0
}
TANK
{
name = MonoPropellant
maxAmount = 20
}
TANK
{
name = ElectricCharge
maxAmount = 150
}
}
}

@PART[B9_Cockpit_S3]:FOR[B9_Aerospace]:NEEDS[modularFuelTanks|RealFuels] {
MODULE {
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 22.5
// 150/60=2.5 ECharge
// 20*Kerbals=20 generic life support
basemass = 3.5
baseCost = -1
type = B9_ServiceModule
TANK
{
name = LiquidFuel
maxAmount = 0
}
TANK
{
name = Oxidizer
maxAmount = 0
}
TANK
{
name = MonoPropellant
maxAmount = 0
}
TANK
{
name = ElectricCharge
maxAmount = 150
}
}
}
// }}}

Edited by sidfu

Are there any known issues with the universal structural panels? The 4x4s and 8x8 flatlly refuse to attach by their center node. They snap-to, but don't actually attach. Very inconsistent about attaching more than one edge-on, as well, tending to break craft files.

Example attempt at building a crane using two of these as the body.

Are there any known issues with the universal structural panels? The 4x4s and 8x8 flatlly refuse to attach by their center node. They snap-to, but don't actually attach. Very inconsistent about attaching more than one edge-on, as well, tending to break craft files.

Example attempt at building a crane using two of these as the body.

check your log if anything i can beat it might be a tweakscale error if u have tweakscale installed

What mods does the plane undercarriage use? Is it only Firespitter?

Asking because I use only that, and don't want my GameData to be cluttered with plugins I don't need.

Edited by Veeltch

What mods does the plane undercarriage use? Is it only Firespitter?

Asking because I use only that, and don't want my GameData to be cluttered with plugins I don't need.

Yes, but I'd caution you against deleting plugins without due cause. Plugins have almost no effect on game performance (in general), so unless you're only installing the landing gear then there really isn't a good reason to delete them because it is guaranteed to break other parts in B9.

Yes, but I'd caution you against deleting plugins without due cause. Plugins have almost no effect on game performance (in general), so unless you're only installing the landing gear then there really isn't a good reason to delete them because it is guaranteed to break other parts in B9.

Yeah but since I don't need no monitors in IVA I'm okay with that. Only the gears are the ones I use.