[1.2.2] B9 Aerospace | Release 6.2.1 (Old Thread)

bac9

Looking at the Wiki entry on Kerbin's atmosphere, it specifies how to convert Kerbin altitude to the US Standard Atmosphere, and that model in turn allows you to calculate what Mach 1 is.

Things change at the tropopause, which is a little below 9km on Kerbin. Mach 1 drops from 339 m/s at sea level to 295 m/s at the tropopause, and is then steady to 16km, which is the equivalent to the cruising altitude of Concorde. I didn't bother with figures for higher.

Concorde speed was limited, by the thermal heating effects on the aluminium alloy used, to Mach 2.2

I infer from a description of why Concorde was white that the heat flow was dominated by radiation from the shockwave-heated air. One Concorde that was painted in a darker colour was limited to Mach 2.

I expect you have already done the calculations, I attacked the problem for rocket boosters and trans-sonic drag. Concorde went supersonic at around 25,000 feet, which is a little over 6km in the Kerbin atmosphere.

My plan is to hold at 300m/s until 6km altitude, and then accelerate quickly though Mach 1, and stay below Mach 2.2 (650m/s) until 16km altitude. That should help keep heating problems under control.

Unless you're going insanely fast insanely low, you're not going to see any heating problems. Remember that most of KSP's (and B9's) parts are designed for spaceplanes, which means that they have to survive re-entry. Something that can survive re-entry isn't going to have any issues at lowish mach numbers.

Will the update for B9 go directly up to 1.0.4? Or are you waiting for a later patch?

It'll be for whatever version is out when the update is done. That being said, we're not waiting for any specific changes right now.

Hi!

Am I right that latest dev-build is mostly ready for new KSP exept stock aerodynamics, so can I just install FAR and forget about stockaero-issues?

There are some 1.0.3-1.0.4 era changes we haven't implemented yet, but everything should be mostly functional under FAR.

For some reason, the Sabre M engines are not cooling down even after I have cut their throttle and placed stock radiators on them. The skin temperature keeps going up.

I noticed also that in the atmosphere, the temperatures stay perfectly constantly, but in space, it starts to go up after I have used the rocket mode.

Any insight to how the heating works for these engines? Or is it still buggy and needs to be configured correctly?

screenshot4.jpg

How recently have you updated? I modified the configs last night to reflect 1.0.3 heating changes.

Also, the transonic thrust buff for stock aero is done. I've done some testing myself and it seems good, but feedback is still appreciated.

For some reason, the Sabre M engines are not cooling down even after I have cut their throttle and placed stock radiators on them. The skin temperature keeps going up.

I noticed also that in the atmosphere, the temperatures stay perfectly constantly, but in space, it starts to go up after I have used the rocket mode.

Any insight to how the heating works for these engines? Or is it still buggy and needs to be configured correctly?

http://s30.postimg.org/5kcxcdstd/screenshot4.jpg

This problem doesn't arise from B9 but from FAR itself. The new heating system doesn't play nice with FAR as of yet, Ferram confirmed the problem and is most likely working on it.

May I ask if there is an ETA for B9 1.0.x? It looks like an amazing mod, I am really excited

As a general rule, ETAs don't exist. It's being worked on though, and most things are functional. You can find a link to the development version in my sig.

As a general rule, ETAs don't exist. It's being worked on though, and most things are functional. You can find a link to the development version in my sig.

LOL give them the answer Blizzard uses -- Soonâ„¢

LOL give them the answer Blizzard uses -- Soonâ„¢

which usually ends up being 'too soon' and a 24-72 hour bugfix ragefest ensues while the masses scream on forums...

Can you please make an adapter part for stock MK2 and B9-MK2. Please. Please. Pleeease! Stock is symmetrical and B9 is a-symmetrical! My drag! q.q

If I'm looking back correctly, Bac9 overhauled the MK2 system to fit with the stock MK2 parts. So come this update, no adapter will be needed