[1.2.2] B9 Aerospace | Release 6.2.1 (Old Thread)

bac9

Is Dev Version the download repository link in the blowfish's github?

It's so damn heavy.

No need to worry about this. The actual download will only be about 72 to 73 MB when everything is zipped up which it will be.

At the moment I'm just using a few of the B9 parts. You've done a clear enough job of organising the folders and names that it isn't hard to just delete the HX parts, or any other subset.

I've not tried to do anything with the IVAs, there doesn't look to be much there anyway.

Do the naming clearly, and maybe write up a list so that we can see how things are split, and we can pick and choose.

The D25 and M27 capsules work well in orbit, and are the core items from the Mod for what I have fun with in KSP. They're not real, but they're not wild sci-fi. In style, they've in the same territory as 2001 was, and I could also point at amd the moment when the Starfury did a 180° flip to hit the bandit trapped at its six.

70 years ago, some illustrators showed spaceships inspired by the high-tech of their time, such as the B29 bomber's nose. So just the names maybe aren't quite enough to pick and choose. And that sort of glass nose was commonplace. On the B-29 and the He-111 it was the cockpit, on other planes there was an inline cockpit and a glass nose.

The He-111 shape would be rather good for a pulp-SF rocketship. Of course, it would struggle with re-entry, but as long as they go up, who cares where they come down...

So far, things work fine in 1.04, but I still get a Firespitter warning that I don't get from other Firespitter .dlls from other mods with the same size/version. Things seem to work fine aside from the warning, though. I'll test out the HX stuff in the morning and see how it goes!

So far, things work fine in 1.04, but I still get a Firespitter warning that I don't get from other Firespitter .dlls from other mods with the same size/version. Things seem to work fine aside from the warning, though. I'll test out the HX stuff in the morning and see how it goes!

No matter the mod or version, Firespitter always give me the warning, but the mods related to him works.

There seem to have been a couple of Firespitter updates last week. I found out about the second the hard way

I take care to only have one firespitter.dll in my ../Gamedata and sometimes have to take extra steps to check which version is which. What the timestamp means can be OS-dependent.

There seem to have been a couple of Firespitter updates last week. I found out about the second the hard way

I take care to only have one firespitter.dll in my ../Gamedata and sometimes have to take extra steps to check which version is which. What the timestamp means can be OS-dependent.

Good catch. Firespitter has been updated in the repository.

Meanwhile, I tried building a plane, inspired by some of the bomber jets of the 1950's, such as the Handley-Page Victor and the Soviet M-4 "Bison". The B9 set gave me the parts needed to build a crescent wing, I used the C2-H cockpit from the KAX pack, which looks solidly subsonic, and fits all the 2.5m cylinders

It was flying well, so I climbed to 8000m over Kerbin. I'm still trying to turn well, but the design was stable, straight and level. I opened the throttle wide. The airframe's critical Mach number was a little over Mach 0.8, with shockwaves starting to appear at that speed. It was obviously way over-powered, and the speed kept rising. The flames started at about Mach 2.8 and it didn't look like a plane that could go that fast. But it stayed stable until the aft fuel tank, also getting heating from the engine exhausts, exploded at Mach 3.6

I then tried a version using S2 fuselage parts from the B9 set, and made a big mistake. The centre of mass was too close to the centre of lift. It took off OK, seemed to fly well, and then did a series of end-for-end flips.

au1e3pf.jpg

I'm using the Interstellar Fuel Switch mod, which lets me fill tanks with 100% fuel. For ballast, and some 1950s planes had ballast weight added after flight tests, it might be worth leaving an oxidizer tank well-forward of the wing.

I'd like to give a big, bearish, 140lb Korean-kid hug to whichever of you guys added TweakScale to the HX parts! Wow, didn't see that coming - very handy. So far, the HX parts seem to be working great in 1.04. By great, I mean as expected for a square-shaped aerodynamic profile! Watch those gravity turns. I just ended up skipping 'em, for now. Docking works well again too. My entire ship was scaled down one level and it worked pretty well, functionally.

I did notice a great deal more lag at 260-ish parts than in 1.02 or .90 with a similar setup. Decoupled 4/5 of the ship and it was gone instantly, but I'm not sure if it's part-related or part-count-related? And out of curiosity, is there any real reason the structural HX hub parts don't have any fuel options? It seems like there could be a lot of fuel in such a part. Perhaps you guys have gone over this before, though.

i always loved this mod :D

but i am kinda waiting for a new ckan release, do i need to wait a long time?

Well, long or short time is quite relative term. It highly depend on someone position, in front or behind WC door when you are in rush to relieve yourself :)

When official release is published then CKAN will pick it up within few hours aftrer release.

If you can't wait then use developer version and help pinpointing out possible bugs, it will be released sooner with more feedback.

Hmmm... Is there a repository for awesome, giant crafts from B9A? Didn't know where to ask.

One of those is available in thread linked in my signature. I made few in the past that was not released to public. And that one provided in my craft exchange thread was for KSP 0.90, haven't time to build something similar for KSP 1.0.x, real life issues kicked in and preventing me to update that thread.

So I've been waiting before I said anything but.... Has anyone noted the issue with the air brake not producing any drag when deployed? I've been using them more for aesthetics as of late.

So I've been waiting before I said anything but.... Has anyone noted the issue with the air brake not producing any drag when deployed? I've been using them more for aesthetics as of late.

Same here. With Far, they seems to produce a little amount of drag, but they're not so effective as stock Airbrakes.

a minor issue btw.

No I have noticed the problem with the airbrakes before as well, but it is not a B9 problem. It is a problem with the entirety of the FSairbrake module so that needs to be fixed on Firespitter's side.

Apologies if ive missed this over the last few pages. Going to try out the dev version. What sort of state is it in, is there any pitfalls I should watch out for?

Cheers

Other than airbrakes not working I'm not aware of any serious issues.

The latest (and previous) dev versions of B9 with Community Tech Tree (2.1 at time of writing) doubles the Experimental Rocketry tech node. The CTT tech node is populated correctly as well. I have looked over the CTT cfg file and could not find anything that would cause this, so perhaps it's something from B9?

The latest (and previous) dev versions of B9 with Community Tech Tree (2.1 at time of writing) doubles the Experimental Rocketry tech node. The CTT tech node is populated correctly as well. I have looked over the CTT cfg file and could not find anything that would cause this, so perhaps it's something from B9?

Yes, the cause for this is without a doubt the B9_Techtree_Add.cfg which I created since the node needs to be there for HX parts without Community Tech Tree as well.

I added a :NEEDS[!CommunityTechTree] to the node definition. This should resolve the incompatibility.

Other than airbrakes not working I'm not aware of any serious issues.

I also recall hearing that it also needs a serious balance pass.

On another note, does anyone want me to package a portable pack of Busybox-Static for Windows or ZSH-Static for Windows and a small batch wrapper to handle the shell script for converting old craft files. I know that many elite geeks have full GNU-Utils installed systemwide on any Windows computer they use, but not everyone is even capable of installing something like that.

Edited by Ruedii
added note