[1.2.2] B9 Aerospace | Release 6.2.1 (Old Thread)

bac9

B9 Aerospace 5.4.0 for KSP 1.0.5 Is now available

Download from Bitbucket

This update should provide full 1.0.5 compatibility.

A note on dependencies in this version

• I've added B9AnimationModules as a dependency, source is available here.  This plugin provides more customized animation modules
  • Crossfeed Enabler is no longer a dependency
  • KineTechAnimation is no longer a dependency

Now that all of the compatibility debt is gone, I will begin to integrate bac9's beautiful new parts.  Hopefully it won't take too long - all the pieces are there, I just need to put them together.

8 minutes ago, Temeter said:

Thanks a lot for the update!

but what do you mean with new parts from bac :3

bac9 posted some new parts a while back ... I can't find them right now, but if you look back through bac9's posts you should be able to find them.

11 minutes ago, blowfish said:

bac9 posted some new parts a while back ... I can't find them right now, but if you look back through bac9's posts you should be able to find them.

I found the MK2 pod cockpit:

Which is funny* because I just build a B9 jet and lamented the lack of an open bubble cockpit. :D

*and awesome!

Btw, small note: The current precooler doesn't do anything. Wouldn't it make sense to give it a similar treatment like the stock precooler? Afair it has higher heat radiation and conductivity, thus keeping the engines cooler.

7 minutes ago, Temeter said:

Btw, small note: The current precooler doesn't do anything. Wouldn't it make sense to give it a similar treatment like the stock precooler? Afair it has higher heat radiation and conductivity, thus keeping the engines cooler.

I thought the radiative value was already high on it ... was the stock precooler changed in the last couple of version of KSP?

I like how the engines fit inbetween the stock parts. Gotta make my stock jets and the heavier, more performant B9 jets fight each other with BDA, that's gonna be interesting!

4 hours ago, blowfish said:

I thought the radiative value was already high on it ... was the stock precooler changed in the last couple of version of KSP?

Sorry, apparently I can't ready config files. Everythings fine. >_>

Edit: Also found the test version of the new parts. Indeed pretty damn nice stuff, our copies of everyones beloved 600 billion dollar plane going to be better than ever!

Edir2: Is it deliberate that the F119 starts to overheat during super cruise near it's top performance? Had that happening around 8km height and stable 670m/s.

Edited by Temeter

4 hours ago, Temeter said:

I like how the engines fit inbetween the stock parts. Gotta make my stock jets and the heavier, more performant B9 jets fight each other with BDA, that's gonna be interesting!

Sorry, apparently I can't ready config files. Everythings fine. >_>

Edit: Also found the test version of the new parts. Indeed pretty damn nice stuff, our copies of everyones beloved 600 billion dollar plane going to be better than ever!

Edir2: Is it deliberate that the F119 starts to overheat during super cruise near it's top performance? Had that happening around 8km height and stable 670m/s.

The heating is semi-intentional, but I thought I toned it down.  Can you tell me what mach number that is?  Heating is based on mach number rather than speed, and the speed of sound varies with altitude somewhat.

50 minutes ago, blowfish said:

The heating is semi-intentional, but I thought I toned it down.  Can you tell me what mach number that is?  Heating is based on mach number rather than speed, and the speed of sound varies with altitude somewhat.

Alright, made some tests and I think I now why that thing was so hot. Used Baha's MK22 cockpit, which practically displays mach numbers. And an older jet aircraft built from stock parts and just mounted 2xF119 on stock precoolers, everything ofc dry mode.

So the plane was basically a 14 ton stock paperweight, much lighter than those using B9 parts, but with quite strong engines. Apparently bringing a 1.65 t/w ratio to the table, my plane got pushed up to mach 2.3. Which is only ~680m/s at 8k, as it turned out. Dropping the speed below 2.2 already caused the engines to slowly drop in temperature.

What confused me was how the panther engines would already tend to max out at safe mach 2 speed in level fight, since they are a lot weaker, and how mach speed changed with height/temperature. So, in conclusion, at least my experience was probably exactly what should have happened, maybe even a bit forgiving. Your balancing seems to work just fine!^^'

Edit: Although the description says design speed mach 2.5, idk how you want these engines to work. It's not like they suddenly overheated, I could fly at mach 2.3 for quite a few minutes. Or is it afterburning speed?

Edited by Temeter

19 hours ago, blowfish said:

B9 Aerospace 5.4.0 for KSP 1.0.5 Is now available

Download from Bitbucket

This update should provide full 1.0.5 compatibility.

A note on dependencies in this version

• I've added B9AnimationModules as a dependency, source is available here.  This plugin provides more customized animation modules
  • Crossfeed Enabler is no longer a dependency
  • KineTechAnimation is no longer a dependency

Now that all of the compatibility debt is gone, I will begin to integrate bac9's beautiful new parts.  Hopefully it won't take too long - all the pieces are there, I just need to put them together.

Seriously, I have waited ages for this. I couldn't be happier. THANK YOU!!! :D

Holy crap I didn't expect this to update until 1.1!  I've always wanted to give this a try!  I'm not sure why we still need ATM though, I thought it was no longer relevant to later KSP releases?

Edited by Kershu5

2 hours ago, Temeter said:

Edit: Although the description says design speed mach 2.5, idk how you want these engines to work. It's not like they suddenly overheated, I could fly at mach 2.3 for quite a few minutes. Or is it afterburning speed?

Heating at the same mach number should be the same in both modes.  I didn't test extensively, so it's possible that the "max design speed" doesn't quite match the actual max speed.

In other news, with Olympic1's help, CKAN's metadata has been updated, so 5.4.0 should be available within a couple of days.  The HX and legacy packs will follow at some point.

ATM is still highly relevant.  My install will not load at all if I remove ATM-aggressive.

Most importantly - WELCOME BACK B9!!! you have been sorely missed.  Almost everything is perfect, but... :)

Couple of things, and these are really "integration with other mods" issues, not so much B9 issues directly, but it may be something you want to look at:

1. Adjustable landing gear attached to HL fuselage sections will auto align the wheels the wrong way.  Same gear attached to any other kind of fuselage do not align the wrong way.  Reproducible - install ALG, attach 2 large or other sized landing gear at angles on the bottom of an HL section, right click the gear, 'auto align wheel' - problem will be obvious.
2. If using mods like KSP Interstellar - is there a way to edit the cockpit files to not show monoprop/fuel/oxidizer in the IVAs?  Those resources are irrelevant at that tech level - what I *would* like to see is Hydrazine, Antimatter, and WasteHeat, but that could be personal preference - is there an easy way to change that?  Editing or otherwise.
3. Airspeeds, while you do support the FAR EAS/IAS/etc which are what a real pilot would use... I don't see a way to change the units from m/s to knots (which is what a real pilot would use) - is there a way to do that? (editing files or otherwise)

25 minutes ago, ss8913 said:

1. Adjustable landing gear attached to HL fuselage sections will auto align the wheels the wrong way.  Same gear attached to any other kind of fuselage do not align the wrong way.  Reproducible - install ALG, attach 2 large or other sized landing gear at angles on the bottom of an HL section, right click the gear, 'auto align wheel' - problem will be obvious.

Can't replicate.  Try attaching the gear on the other side or clicking "flip side" in the tweakables.

26 minutes ago, ss8913 said:

2. If using mods like KSP Interstellar - is there a way to edit the cockpit files to not show monoprop/fuel/oxidizer in the IVAs?  Those resources are irrelevant at that tech level - what I *would* like to see is Hydrazine, Antimatter, and WasteHeat, but that could be personal preference - is there an easy way to change that?  Editing or otherwise.

You can edit the two config files in B9_Aerospace/Props/B9_Bar_Indicator.  Replace strings like SYSR_OXIDIZER with what you want (RPM parses the resource names out of them).

33 minutes ago, ss8913 said:

3. Airspeeds, while you do support the FAR EAS/IAS/etc which are what a real pilot would use... I don't see a way to change the units from m/s to knots (which is what a real pilot would use) - is there a way to do that? (editing files or otherwise)

This is an area of RPM I really don't know that well.  You might have to do some digging.

3 hours ago, blowfish said:

Heating at the same mach number should be the same in both modes.  I didn't test extensively, so it's possible that the "max design speed" doesn't quite match the actual max speed.

I see. Whatever, from what i've seen the engines feel just fine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You should update this line, eh?

On 02.09.2014, 0:09:02, bac9 said:

NOTES

• The stock drag model is not actively supported. FAR is required. While the parts will function in the stock drag model and are balanced, we won't accept bug reports or balance requests for stock aerodynamics.