[1.2.2] B9 Aerospace | Release 6.2.1 (Old Thread)

bac9

I second the motion for a Mk3 crew cabin in HL livery. Maybe with an S2-style interior?

I'm aware that the B9 folks might not currently be working on new parts, but the license allows for any competent modder to make their own (provided they credit the B9 team, don't charge money for it, and release it under a CC-BY-NC-SA or similar license). I'd do it myself, but... well... y'know, the whole "competent modder" part is slightly beyond my grasp.

22 minutes ago, charliepryor said:

Pretty sure your legacy parts got forgotten about in terms of the Deadly Reentry patch. I've got this going on: 

This occurs with a craft made almost entirely of the S2 parts and the SH and SW wings. Log is linked in that post there.

I believe it, but I also know just about nothing about DRE or how its patches should look.  If you or someone else would like to submit a fix I'd be happy to include it though.

Hi, I just installed this mod after seeing it was updated for 1.1.3, which is fantastic! However I can't seem to find the B9 wheeled lading gear. In the B9 Legacy folder I saw 'B9_Aerospace_LandingGear-DRE.cfg' and was wondering if that was it, and if so, did I put it in the right place? (GameData>B9_Aerospace_Legacy>B9_Aerospace_LandingGear-DRE.cfg) Thanks.

1 hour ago, HadrianRomulus said:

Hi, I just installed this mod after seeing it was updated for 1.1.3, which is fantastic! However I can't seem to find the B9 wheeled lading gear. In the B9 Legacy folder I saw 'B9_Aerospace_LandingGear-DRE.cfg' and was wondering if that was it, and if so, did I put it in the right place? (GameData>B9_Aerospace_Legacy>B9_Aerospace_LandingGear-DRE.cfg) Thanks.

They have been removed.  With the wheel changes in 1.1 they broke, and it would take quite a lot of work to make them functional with the new wheel system.

10 minutes ago, blowfish said:

They have been removed.  With the wheel changes in 1.1 they broke, and it would take quite a lot of work to make them functional with the new wheel system.

Oh, okay. Maybe they could be worked on some time in the future because they matched with the other B9 parts so well.

Thanks.

27 minutes ago, HadrianRomulus said:

Oh, okay. Maybe they could be worked on some time in the future because they matched with the other B9 parts so well.

Thanks.

Honestly, if I were going to put in the effort, I'd just as soon put it into getting Adjustable Landing Gear working again, since they're much more versatile.  Not that I have plans to do so, mind you.

45 minutes ago, blowfish said:

Honestly, if I were going to put in the effort, I'd just as soon put it into getting Adjustable Landing Gear working again, since they're much more versatile.  Not that I have plans to do so, mind you.

Speaking of that, do you know, or anyone, know what will happen to Adjustable Landing Gears now that BahamutoD has stepped down as it's developer, or is it still up in the air, meaning as, nobody has taking over development?

8 minutes ago, FlyingVolvo said:

Speaking of that, do you know, or anyone, know what will happen to Adjustable Landing Gears now that BahamutoD has stepped down as it's developer, or is it still up in the air, meaning as, nobody has taking over development?

To my knowledge, nothing has happened to it.

Just now, blowfish said:

To my knowledge, nothing has happened to it.

Fair enough, I suppose the future will tell what will happen to it. I'm sure someone will pick it up eventually however, as it is very useful for a lot of people, but I'm sure it has a lot of issues currently to get it updated as Bahama said himself.

Appreciate the answer by the way!

15 hours ago, blowfish said:

I believe it, but I also know just about nothing about DRE or how its patches should look.  If you or someone else would like to submit a fix I'd be happy to include it though.

Either it's an ablative shield and you configure it the same way as stock ModuleAblator (ModuleHeatShield is a child of that) or its space shuttle / space plane and you configure the way stock does the Mk2 or the way DRE does it . 

15 hours ago, charliepryor said:

Pretty sure your legacy parts got forgotten about in terms of the Deadly Reentry patch. I've got this going on: 

This occurs with a craft made almost entirely of the S2 parts and the SH and SW wings. Log is linked in that post there.

11 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Either it's an ablative shield and you configure it the same way as stock ModuleAblator (ModuleHeatShield is a child of that) or its space shuttle / space plane and you configure the way stock does the Mk2 or the way DRE does it . 

Actually, looking back, it looks like @danfarnsy submitted DRE fixes for pretty much all the parts a little while back.  Is there something still wrong with those patches?  The wings might be excluded, but I'd really recommend using procedural wings at this point.

3 hours ago, Desusaizu said:

When I click the link for procedural wings, the version for it is 1.0.2. My game version is 1.1.3 (ofc)

You've got the wrong thread.  There's a separate thread for the procedural wings.

And now to ask here: what do I have to do to get a lh2 fuel setup for the b9 parts that already have the lf, ox, lfo and monoprop flavours? Cooling for boil-of prevention would be cherry on the cake :-)

A service config would be nice as well (battery+monoprop), and Xeon,argon, lithium... 

9 hours ago, Blackline said:

And now to ask here: what do I have to do to get a lh2 fuel setup for the b9 parts that already have the lf, ox, lfo and monoprop flavours? Cooling for boil-of prevention would be cherry on the cake :-)

A service config would be nice as well (battery+monoprop), and Xeon,argon, lithium... 

LH2 I've actually been working on a bit, and should have for the next update.  Zero boiloff is problematic though - I can't have both normal and ZBO variants, and it seems like normal has a better use case - spaceplanes typically make orbit in a matter of minutes so the small amount of fuel you keep from not having boiloff isn't worth the mass penalty for the equipment required.  Given that I'm inclined to go with normal LH2 tanks and say that if you need additional long-term storage beyond low orbit, just put a ZBO tank in a cargo bay.

As for the other resources, what's the use case?  When would you want those resources in a shielded spaceplane fuselage (which is heavier than a normal tank)?  What could you possibly do with that much electric charge?

In both/all cases i am trying to build a long term, interplanetary SSTO with either kerbal atomics or other (near future) propulsion. Currently i am using cryo tanks in a cargo bay, but its a) double the (hull)weight and b) part count. The idea of the service config is actually/also stolen from  @Nertea's near future construction.

But instead of fiddeling every possible tank setup by hand, isnt there a better way (like @RoverDude's CRP ) to have unified tank setups across different mods?

And btw, thank you for your work on the mod, finding my question (regardless of where i post it) shows your effort.

Edited by Blackline
credit

1 hour ago, Blackline said:

In both/all cases i am trying to build a long term, interplanetary SSTO with either kerbal atomics or other (near future) propulsion. Currently i am using cryo tanks in a cargo bay, but its a) double the (hull)weight and b) part count. The idea of the service config is actually/also stolen from  @Nertea's near future construction.

But instead of fiddeling every possible tank setup by hand, isnt there a better way (like @RoverDude's CRP ) to have unified tank setups across different mods?

And btw, thank you for your work on the mod, finding my question (regardless of where i post it) shows your effort.

CRP doesn't add resources to any parts.  It just defines the resources for other parts of the game to use.

I should clarify what I said in the MFT thread - MFT itself does not handle any resources outside of the ones that are in Vanilla KSP, but CryoTanks comes with a patch to add LH2 and LH2O to MFT parts.  B9 also supports MFT, so if you have B9, CryoTanks, and MFT, you should see LH2/LH2O options on the tanks (but they won't be zero boiloff).  Not sure if there's something similar for the Near Future resources but maybe.

I definitely see your use case, but I'm concerned that adding all that to B9 would add clutter/take away from other use cases.  If I made the LH2 tanks zero boiloff, I would have to add a mass penalty to make them balanced with the CryoTanks ZBO tanks, and that would make them less useful for normal SSTOs.  If I add all those Near Future resources, it adds a lot more subtypes that are only going to be useful in a very small number of cases.  This is particularly true of the HL parts where each fuel type has a few sub variants ... I have plans to make this situation a bit better but I have not implemented the necessary code yet.  So I guess I have to say sorry, I can't really make your request happen.  I will be adding normal (non-ZBO) LH2 variants to the tanks though.

I just installed the mods and when I loaded the game, I found two problems:

When Building, none of the parts would snap when I click, it would act like it would respond but it would still be stuck to my mouse and I can't put the part back. 

The second problem is when I try to launch a part by itself(due to first problem) The screen freezes, trying to revert flight just makes the part go orbital.

Any idea on how to fix this? I installed it properly and it's the only mod I have on my game. 

1 hour ago, Sky1634 said:

Um.... What happened to the .craft files from the previous version of B9 Aerospace? You know, like the "Vance" etc...? 

They haven't been included for quite some time (since the first release for KSP 1.0).  This was for a few reasons: (1) Many of the parts, especially wings, that they used were moved to the legacy pack (2) They were designed to work with old versions of FAR, and no one took the time to make sure they were usable in the new aero (3) Due to the switch from Firespitter fuel switching to B9PartSwitch, all the tanks would have had to be re-filled with the correct fuel (although since then I added auto-detecting the correct fuel type to B9PartSwitch) and (4) Since 1.1, the wheels are completely broken anyway and are no longer included in B9.

5 hours ago, blowfish said:

They haven't been included for quite some time (since the first release for KSP 1.0).  This was for a few reasons: (1) Many of the parts, especially wings, that they used were moved to the legacy pack (2) They were designed to work with old versions of FAR, and no one took the time to make sure they were usable in the new aero (3) Due to the switch from Firespitter fuel switching to B9PartSwitch, all the tanks would have had to be re-filled with the correct fuel (although since then I added auto-detecting the correct fuel type to B9PartSwitch) and (4) Since 1.1, the wheels are completely broken anyway and are no longer included in B9.

Awww man. Is there any predicted time on when the crafts will be added again? Or will I have to stick with my own, and other's planes?

29 minutes ago, Sky1634 said:

Awww man. Is there any predicted time on when the crafts will be added again? Or will I have to stick with my own, and other's planes?

No plans to add them back in, sorry.  I can, however, offer to guide you through getting them to at least load in the editor so that you can replace the wheels with the stock ones and make any other modifications.  PM me if you want to know more.