[1.2.2] B9 Aerospace | Release 6.2.1 (Old Thread)

bac9

1 hour ago, Benji13 said:

Edit: What I mean is that it would be great if someone made a mod that made all the stock mk2 stuff look like this:

B9 provides a full set of functionally equivalent parts (to stock Mk2) - right down to their cross section. So you could just prune all stock Mk2 parts from your install and use B9 as their replacement if that's what you want. You could do that by renaming all stock Mk2 .cfg files to .bak files (I advice against it), or write a small MM patch (the preferred way) that does something like this

-PART[mk2Cockpit_Inline]:AFTER[Squad] { }
-PART[mk2Cockpit_Standard]:AFTER[Squad] { }
-PART[mk2DroneCore]:AFTER[Squad] { }
-PART[mk2_1m_Bicoupler]:AFTER[Squad] { }
-PART[mk2_1m_AdapterLong]:AFTER[Squad] { }
-PART[mk2SpacePlaneAdapter]:AFTER[Squad] { }
-PART[mk2Fuselage]:AFTER[Squad] { }
-PART[mk2FuselageLongLFO]:AFTER[Squad] { }
-PART[mk2FuselageShortLiquid]:AFTER[Squad] { }
-PART[mk2FuselageShortLFO]:AFTER[Squad] { }
-PART[mk2FuselageShortMono]:AFTER[Squad] { }

This is such a small thing that it's not worth maintaining a mod for IMO.

Edited by MaxRebo

5 minutes ago, MaxRebo said:

B9 provides a full set of functionally equivalent parts (to stock Mk2) - right down to their cross section. So you could just prune all stock Mk2 parts from your install and use B9 as their replacement if that's what you want. You could do that by renaming all stock Mk2 .cfg files to .bak files (I advice against it), or write a small MM patch (the preferred way) that does something like this

-PART[mk2Cockpit_Inline]:AFTER[Squad] { }
-PART[mk2Cockpit_Standard]:AFTER[Squad] { }
-PART[mk2DroneCore]:AFTER[Squad] { }
-PART[mk2_1m_Bicoupler]:AFTER[Squad] { }
-PART[mk2_1m_AdapterLong]:AFTER[Squad] { }
-PART[mk2SpacePlaneAdapter]:AFTER[Squad] { }
-PART[mk2Fuselage]:AFTER[Squad] { }
-PART[mk2FuselageLongLFO]:AFTER[Squad] { }
-PART[mk2FuselageShortLiquid]:AFTER[Squad] { }
-PART[mk2FuselageShortLFO]:AFTER[Squad] { }
-PART[mk2FuselageShortMono]:AFTER[Squad] { }

This is such a small thing that it's not worth maintaining a mod for IMO.

Ok, tommorow I will download B9 and see what I can trim from stock and what I want to keep. I've only recently (1.2) started heavily using mod parts so I'm sticking up on mods before 1.2.1 drops so I'm ready for a brand new career when it does. 

42 minutes ago, Kemorno said:

does B9 have a public Dev build like it had on 1.0 (or 1.1 i dont remember), and if yes, could someone give me the download or something similar?
I'm missing B9 so much on my 1.2 carrer ;(

(1) It always has a public dev "build", it's called its github repository. Since the B9 part pack itself doesn't come with any plugins, the sources are all cfg files, i.e. directly usable in KSP without any compilation. However, the two part modules used by B9 (B9PartSwitch, B9AnimationModules) have their own repository each, so for a complete dev version of B9 you have to get them from there and not from the B9Aerospace repo where the parts are. Fortunately, @blowfish is kind enough have git track the build artifacts along with the source code, so you'll always have up-to-date plugin dlls for every new commit, even when no development "release" has been published.

(2) Take a look here :sticktongue:

Edited by MaxRebo

18 minutes ago, MaxRebo said:

(1) It always has a public dev "build", it's called its github repository. Since the B9 part pack itself doesn't come with any plugins, the sources are all cfg files, i.e. directly usable in KSP without any compilation. However, the two part modules used by B9 (B9PartSwitch, B9AnimationModules) have their own repository each, so for a complete dev version of B9 you have to get them from there and not from the B9Aerospace repo where the parts are. Fortunately, @blowfish is kind enough have git track the build artifacts along with the source code, so you'll always have up-to-date plugin dlls for every new commit, even when no development "release" has been published.

(2) Take a look here :sticktongue:

:D thank you very much man... you dont know how much i missed B9. and thank you @blowfish and @bac9 too

1 hour ago, MaxRebo said:

@Benji13

I just realized it's not entirely functionally equivalent. B9's Mk2 cockpits are all 1-seaters. Depending on your mileage that might be an issue.

I don't think pruning stock parts is ever a good idea. He should simply use the B9 parts instead. The stock cockpits need not be removed since the main color of stock and B9 are the same so they match up quite well.

8 hours ago, Flashblade said:

I don't think pruning stock parts is ever a good idea

What exactly is supposed to happen if you do? I've been pruning stock tanks in favor of procedurals for some time now and I've yet to experience any negative side effects...

9 hours ago, Flashblade said:

I don't think pruning stock parts is ever a good idea. He should simply use the B9 parts instead. The stock cockpits need not be removed since the main color of stock and B9 are the same so they match up quite well.

It's not exactly 'pruning'. It's more like covering your pear tree with a tight fitting bird net to make it look smaller. Remove the net (the MM patch) and the tree spreads out again.

So after a day of playing with the pre release of B9 in 1.2, i noticed that the wings/rudders/stabilizers/etc. are not working, their lift is not calculated, the mass is calculated, the "suposed to be animated parts" are not moving. not complaining just pointing out the issues
is it only me?
is that a pre-release thing?
does anyone know how to solve it?

i have several mods installed, maybe it is just an incompatibilitie

12 hours ago, MaxRebo said:

What exactly is supposed to happen if you do? I've been pruning stock tanks in favor of procedurals for some time now and I've yet to experience any negative side effects...

One commonplace "trick" that mods use is to make use of stock textures for items such as fuel tanks. It saves on total memory used.

It's not always quick and simple to set up. The "UV mapping" has to match up. That's a general term in 3D modelling. The model has points defined in (X,Y,Z) coordinates, and the texture uses (U,V) coordinates. The different labels keep them distinct. The UV mapping is the relationship between points on the model and points on the texture.

A fuel tank can have a pretty simple UV map. It's a little bit more than a simple cylinder, but two round circles for the ends, and a rectangle that can be wrapped around the sides, is about as simple as it gets. A continuous area of plain colour can be stretched in the UV map, look at that stock orange tank from Rockomax. The top and bottom of the side can be mapped to the same length, the part in between can be stretched, and that's what a mod such as Fuel Tanks Plus can do. But it would look weird if there was text on the tank side, and that got stretched.

If you want complicated, think about the mapping that has to be done for a human figure, which is a complicated shape. There are multiple pieces of texture, and details have to line up where they meet on the model. But some things that look complicated can use the same small texture multiple times.

If you're worried about memory use affecting performance, you can change on the settings to use a lower maximum-resolution for textures. Does it make a big difference? Well, how many pixels high is your video screen? A 1024-pixel square texture is going to nearly fill the screen before each screen-pixel uses a single texture-pixel, and KSP automatically uses lower pixel counts to show distant obkects.

KSP is generally pretty good on this. Most games are. The artists and programmers know this stuff. I know places on the web where memory consumption on textures is extravagant, and that can be why some web pages take an eternity to download.

@Wolf BaginskiI'm not entirely sure what you're trying to tell me here. I want the stock tanks gone (and most non-aircraft fuel tanks from all other mods for that matter) because I don't want parts that I never intent to use clutter up the tech tree and part catalog, for reasons of usability and immersion. None of textures or other assets disappear from the game so I don't see where there can possibly be a problem.

Not that I've ever seen a mod reusing the - sorry for being blunt - butt-ugly stock tank textures...

(also I'm a MSc in computer science specializing in CG and visualization so I'm pretty familiar with uv mapping...)

4 hours ago, blowfish said:

@Kemorno not much I can say without logs.  Unless you have an empty FerramAerospaceResearch folder in GameData.  But if not ... logs :rolleyes:

hmm, sorry for being this noob on it, but what file would u want? cause it wasnt a crash :P

3 hours ago, Kemorno said:

hmm, sorry for being this noob on it, but what file would u want? cause it wasnt a crash :P

KSP.log or output_log.txt - the first link in my signature tells you how to find and upload them