[1.2.2] B9 Aerospace | Release 6.2.1 (Old Thread)

bac9

When using KSPI, putting a precooler attached to your air intakes will keep the engines cooler

I know this was brought up in the dev thread, but are there any plans for a 2x2 cargo bay without the dividers? Seems kind of a waste to have such a huge open space that can't fit anything larger than what the 2x1 bay can hold.

Thanks for the advice but I think it is something deeper. I looked at the part config files for the B9 turbine engines and there are actually heat build up values. I like this actually as it makes it far more realistic. I think what was annoying me was how underpowered the engines felt, I couldn't do anything without full after burner. Then I remembered FAR was enabled so I changed the nerf Ferram set it to of .5 to .6 and it made it spot on in terms of what I wanted for realism.

Question - do the B9 landing legs (or any landing legs, actually) have any springiness to them? I am attempting to make a truly gigantic ship use those legs to set itself down, but it seems right now like they kind of just smack into the terrain. Is it possible to give landing legs suspension to absorb landing impacts?

Question - do the B9 landing legs (or any landing legs, actually) have any springiness to them? I am attempting to make a truly gigantic ship use those legs to set itself down, but it seems right now like they kind of just smack into the terrain. Is it possible to give landing legs suspension to absorb landing impacts?

They're not ported to the new landing leg module yet, because unity wheelcolliders are hateful to work with. There's an issue open about it. We'll get it at some point.

Interesting, I wasnt expecting the drop of support for Stock Atmo. Personally, I never really use Ferram4's mods, and many, many others who will want this pack don't either. I can understand the move, though it seems a slight bit contradictory to the majority of the userbase you are releasing this too. (Just a harmless observation, nothing more.)

And now, and im very sorry for this, but:

KAWAIIIIIIIII!

These parts look totally Amazeballs! You guys are awesome!

In the OP, it says this is not compatible with DRE (yet). The OP is...not lying. ;)

Didn't notice that, but I fixed the issue in my cfg.

HEAT GENERATION from 550 to 275, and from 450 to 225. Problem solved.

But the biggest issue is with the landing gear. You slide sideways on the runway, while sitting still without the brakes on. Not just roll forward like normal, but slide sideways.

If you like your wheels to not buckle and send your craft into the dirt then this is the module manager patch.

Congrats to the developers on the new release!

@PART[HDG*]:HAS[@MODULE[FSwheel]]:Final
{
@MODULE
{
name = FSwheel
sidewaysStiffness = 2
}
}

Edited by Alshain

If you like your wheels to not buckle and send your craft into the dirt then this is the module manager patch.

{
@MODULE
{
name = FSwheelAlignment
sidewaysStiffness = 2
}
}

I thought you wanted sidewaysStiffness = 0.01 not 2.

{
@MODULE
{
name = FSwheelAlignment
sidewaysStiffness = 2
}
}

Hmm, interesting. Where would I need to paste that to make it work?

But the biggest issue is with the landing gear. You slide sideways on the runway, while sitting still without the brakes on. Not just roll forward like normal, but slide sideways.

No. You have an old file from community patches to B9. You're not the first to have this issue - a fact I find baffling :D

It should have been obvious you should have cleaned those out.

Interesting, I wasnt expecting the drop of support for Stock Atmo. Personally, I never really use Ferram4's mods, and many, many others who will want this pack don't either. I can understand the move, though it seems a slight bit contradictory to the majority of the userbase you are releasing this too. (Just a harmless observation, nothing more.)

Making spaceplanes with a realistic spaceplane pack and then using them with the stock drag model makes no sense - its like getting the best possible ingredients for a cake and the baking it by putting all the ingredients together in a box, still packaged, and putting it under the bonnet of your car and driving around at top speed.

We make a spaceplane pack because we're spaceplane nuts, we hate the stock drag model because its awful and will have nothing to do with it.

The parts will work there, and they are balanced, but don't tell us about it - we don't care.

{
@MODULE
{
name = FSwheelAlignment
sidewaysStiffness = 2
}
}

You will also be unable to steer, and will slide down small hills when stopped.

That patch is from a completely different wheel slip/asymptote setup.

I don't know what the hell you people are doing, because the stock craft don't have any issues, unless you do things that would cause real aircraft to fall over sideways - like try to turn while in contact with the runway while going at 200m/s.

Edited by Taverius

You will also be unable to steer, and will slide down small hills when stopped.

I had neither of these issue with the patch, at least on Kerbin. I was steering all around KSP and through the grasslands and highlands. Was able to stop just fine. I did find my wheels didn't suddenly crumble under the weight of even a mid sized aircraft.

No. You have an old file from community patches to B9. You're not the first to have this issue - a fact I find baffling :D

It should have been obvious you should have cleaned those out.

I actually removed that file 2 days ago. This sliding issue only started with this latest release of the pack. Otherwise everything else works fine.

Making spaceplanes with a realistic spaceplane pack and then using them with the stock drag model makes no sense - its like getting the best possible ingredients for a cake and the baking it by putting all the ingredients together in a box, still packaged, and putting it under the bonnet of your car and driving around at top speed.

We make a spaceplane pack because we're spaceplane nuts, we hate the stock drag model because its awful and will have nothing to do with it.

LOL, someone will probably cry about this statement right here and report you for being mean. Like someone did me a few weeks ago.

... ok, you people are gonna how to show me pictures of what you evil, evil monsters are doing to my babies.

Because this:

Screenshot_150.png

With a red tank in the back, takes off fine, no funny business, at 150 m/s and 135 tons.

Sideways stiffness = 2:

Screenshot_151.png

Also know as holiday on ice.

I could look at this wrong and it would start sliding sideways.

Edited by Taverius

I had neither of these issue with the patch, at least on Kerbin. I was steering all around KSP and through the grasslands and highlands. Was able to stop just fine. I did find my wheels didn't suddenly crumble under the weight of even a mid sized aircraft.

If it was the patch above, exactly as pasted here, that would be because I believe it's actually a NOP, since it's patching FSwheelAlignment, not FSwheel. FSwheel is the module that takes the friction curve parameters. I've not tested to confirm, but I believe they will just be ignored entirely if specified for FSwheelAlignment.

Taverius is absolutely correct though, "sidewaysStiffness = 2" is not an appropriate value for the current supplied friction curve (in the final R5.0). It would almost eliminate all sideways friction, where previously it would have quadrupled it (when the supplied value was 0.5). As for whether the current values are better, I reserve judgement on that, as I've yet to spend time evaluating them. On the face of it, they look like they may well improve things, as they are (entirely coincidentally) quite close to the values that I had been playing around with, trying to find a better friction curve than the old one (which I previously contended was "sheer hell" with some heavy planes at speed, even for well strutted gear).

For reference, here's the current (R5.0) friction curves:

forwardStiffness = 750
forwardExtremumSlip = 0.6
forwardExtremumValue = 1.2
forwardAsymptoteSlip = 2.0
forwardAsymptoteValue = 0.2
sidewaysStiffness = 50
sidewaysExtremumSlip = 0.6
sidewaysExtremumValue = 1.2
sidewaysAsymptoteSlip = 2.0
sidewaysAsymptoteValue = 0.5

If you're going to patch either curve, I strongly recommend including all 5 values in the patch (5 for forward, 5 for sideways), so that a change to the base cfg doesn't completely wreck your setup. Basically the values cannot be taken individually, only as a complete set.

Ah, the link got chomped by something. Here it is.

If it was the patch above, exactly as pasted here, that would be because I believe it's actually a NOP, since it's patching FSwheelAlignment, not FSwheel. FSwheel is the module that takes the friction curve parameters. I've not tested to confirm, but I believe they will just be ignored entirely if specified for FSwheelAlignment.

Taverius is absolutely correct though, "sidewaysStiffness = 2" is not an appropriate value for the current supplied friction curve (in the final R5.0). It would almost eliminate all sideways friction, where previously it would have quadrupled it (when the supplied value was 0.5). As for whether the current values are better, I reserve judgement on that, as I've yet to spend time evaluating them. On the face of it, they look like they may well improve things, as they are (entirely coincidentally) quite close to the values that I had been playing around with, trying to find a better friction curve than the old one (which I previously contended was "sheer hell" with some heavy planes at speed, even for well strutted gear).

For reference, here's the current (R5.0) friction curves:

forwardStiffness = 750
forwardExtremumSlip = 0.6
forwardExtremumValue = 1.2
forwardAsymptoteSlip = 2.0
forwardAsymptoteValue = 0.2
sidewaysStiffness = 50
sidewaysExtremumSlip = 0.6
sidewaysExtremumValue = 1.2
sidewaysAsymptoteSlip = 2.0
sidewaysAsymptoteValue = 0.5

If you're going to patch either curve, I strongly recommend including all 5 values in the patch (5 for forward, 5 for sideways), so that a change to the base cfg doesn't completely wreck your setup. Basically the values cannot be taken individually, only as a complete set.

I found this little gem of a plugin earlier, and I've been getting pretty close to ... I wouldn't say optimal, because PhysX wheel collider friction has some basic problems - force always increases linearly with slip speed after asymptote, which is plain wrong - but as close as can be.

I'm currently held up by a bug in FSwheel that I just found (sidewaysAsymptoteSlip is always 2 regardless of what you put it) but I should have something for all you Tokyo Drift: KSC Stage landing gear molesters soon.

Given the size the mod has now reached, may I humbly suggest that a modular system might be preferable to a large monolithic download going forward?

That might sound like a good idea, but:

• Uploading is one of the most boring and annoying parts of deploying a release. Uploading 3 times is bad enough, multiply that number and bac9 is likely to shoot you.
  • We use it all?
  • Computers have this magical ability to delete things you don't want at the press of a button

So yeah, not gonna happen. Call us lazy, whatevs :D