[1.2.2] B9 Aerospace | Release 6.2.1 (Old Thread)

bac9

3 hours ago, blowfish said:

Do the toggles not show up in the right click menu, or do they just not do anything?

65971355.jpg

Sorry. I kinda had to do this.

(I'm surprised that this was already a meme)

10 hours ago, Nartur Arkano said:

That might be useful if @bac9 is indeed in hibernation and he's the only one who can edit the OP.  Sometimes if I don't log in I can't even see a signature.

Can I second this idea also?

@danfarnsy I can't seem to replicate the interior overlay disappearing.  Can you confirm that it still exists in 1.1.1 / are there specific steps that have to be taken?  The overlay button seems to not want me to click it at times, but a bit of fiddling usually makes it work.

@toric5 I also can't replicate your issues with the landing legs or S3 cockpit.  All the animations work fine for me.  Are you absolutely sure you have the firespitter plugin installed correctly?  I just tried the version included in the B9 download and it works fine.

25 minutes ago, blowfish said:

@danfarnsy I can't seem to replicate the interior overlay disappearing.  Can you confirm that it still exists in 1.1.1 / are there specific steps that have to be taken?  The overlay button seems to not want me to click it at times, but a bit of fiddling usually makes it work.

@toric5 I also can't replicate your issues with the landing legs or S3 cockpit.  All the animations work fine for me.  Are you absolutely sure you have the firespitter plugin installed correctly?  I just tried the version included in the B9 download and it works fine.

firespitter folder in gamedata, whitch contains a plugins folder, a readme, and a . version, right? im on a mac, if that helps. i also only downloaded the main pack, not the hx or legacy.

Just now, toric5 said:

firespitter folder in gamedata, whitch contains a plugins folder, a readme, and a . version, right? im on a mac, if that helps. i also only downloaded the main pack, not the hx or legacy.

HX and legacy shouldn't matter here.  Try removing the entire firespitter folder from GameData and replacing it with the one in the B9 6.1 download.

56 minutes ago, blowfish said:

The issue appears to have disappeared in 1.1.1. Just to make sure, I went back to the 1.1 install I was using for testing the B9 stuff, and it's definitely there. It's also definitely gone in 1.1.1. Hooray! (and how bizarre)

Also, RPM updated for 1.1.1 and (for however long it lasts) turned off the stage-resource settings because of a bug in KSP. That nullifies the changes I made. I mean, still commit them, but "stage-only" resource view will be a no-go until that's fixed on the Squad and/or MOARdV side. Not that MOARdV could fix the stock bug, but he mentioned looking for a possible workaround.

still the same. also, your mod makesa lander can interior appear on the VAB floor when you place down a part with crew capacity. its not JSI, but beyond that and the fact that it is something in your mod.

9 minutes ago, toric5 said:

still the same. also, your mod makesa lander can interior appear on the VAB floor when you place down a part with crew capacity. its not JSI, but beyond that and the fact that it is something in your mod.

That other issue is something that has previously been associated with a broken firespitter.dll.  I probably should have asked several posts ago, but could you post your logs?  They might provide some clue as to what the problem is.  Everything works fine when I test it, so it has to be some configuration issue.

Edited by blowfish

Just to note, it's unlikely that anything has broken in KSP 1.1.1, so it's probably safe to run B9 6.1 with it.  I can't guarantee that there won't be issues, of course, but the likelihood of anything breaking seems pretty small.  EIther way, I will probably make a new release with danfarnsy's RPM fixes in the next few days anyway.

4 minutes ago, blowfish said:

Just to note, it's unlikely that anything has broken in KSP 1.1.1, so it's probably safe to run B9 6.1 with it.  I can't guarantee that there won't be issues, of course, but the likelihood of anything breaking seems pretty small.  EIther way, I will probably make a new release with danfarnsy's RPM fixes in the next few days anyway.

So far the only thing that seems to be broken is CKAN thinks its incompatable

11 hours ago, viperfan7 said:

So far the only thing that seems to be broken is CKAN thinks its incompatable

I'm thinking about the best way to address this, but it's more complicated than just marking everything as compatible.  B9 has a number of dependencies I have no control over, and CKAN won't allow you to install B9 until those dependencies are also marked as compatible.

not sure if your tacking requests or only doing mantinance, but would you be able to add cryotanks to the existing fuel tanks for H2 storage? (for usablity with kerbal atomics and cryoengines?) it should be a pretty simple MM patch.

and while im on requests, could we get options to rotate the cargo bays texture to an upside down position? i use them upside down as 'bomb bays' for probes, and the heat tiles on top are a bit strange looking. purely cosmetic request.

Edited by toric5

15 minutes ago, toric5 said:

not sure if your tacking requests or only doing mantinance, but would you be able to add cryotanks to the existing fuel tanks for H2 storage? (for usablity with kerbal atomics and cryoengines?) it should be a pretty simple MM patch.

I am trying to add little bits of functionality where it doesn't involve modifying the assets (models and textures).  As it happens this is already on my to-do list.  I was also going to convert the SABRE over to use LH2 (if the user has CryoTanks).  Note that the tanks wouldn't be zero boiloff.

49 minutes ago, toric5 said:

and while im on requests, could we get options to rotate the cargo bays texture to an upside down position? i use them upside down as 'bomb bays' for probes, and the heat tiles on top are a bit strange looking. purely cosmetic request.

That's a little more complicated since it involves changing the assets, and I don't have access to the original texture source so the result (1) would take a lot of work and (2) Probably wouldn't look very good.

Just now, blowfish said:

I am trying to add little bits of functionality where it doesn't involve modifying the assets (models and textures).  As it happens this is already on my to-do list.  I was also going to convert the SABRE over to use LH2 (if the user has CryoTanks).  Note that the tanks wouldn't be zero boiloff.

That's a little more complicated since it involves changing the assets, and I don't have access to the original texture source so the result (1) would take a lot of work and (2) Probably wouldn't look very good.

thanks. just out of curiosity, why didnt bac9 give you the source files? (not saying anything, just personal curiosity.) can you not contact hem asking for the files?

4 minutes ago, toric5 said:

thanks. just out of curiosity, why didnt bac9 give you the source files? (not saying anything, just personal curiosity.) can you not contact hem asking for the files?

Maybe you should ask bac9.  I know it's a lot of stuff to package up, but I have no idea beyond that.  I've asked for specific files at various times, but due to bac9's general absence I'm not sure any of the requests actually got through.

28 minutes ago, blowfish said:

Maybe you should ask bac9.  I know it's a lot of stuff to package up, but I have no idea beyond that.  I've asked for specific files at various times, but due to bac9's general absence I'm not sure any of the requests actually got through.

This might not be all that there is to it. The core team also consisted of K3|Chris and Taverius and both of them also might hold source files bac9 has no access to anymore.

2 minutes ago, TwinKerbal said:

Hey guys, this might seem like a stupid question, but are there any plans to make Tweakscale and B9 HX compatible (as in the fuel amounts don't randomly glitch when you size it up with Tweakscale)?

Plans, yes.  The changes are in the fuel switch module, not B9 or HX specifically.  I don't know exactly how much work it will take yet.  The incompatibility is known though, and is documented in the OP and release notes.

11 hours ago, blowfish said:

That would be interesting to tackle. The texture files are clearly designed so they wrap and mirror according to some switchable transforms. The new Mk2 parts have textures where the switching behavior just references a different section of the .dds file, correct? I wonder if we can use the mesh switch to simply refer to a different section of the texture file the way the Mk2 subtypes do? That way we could either mirror the "top" texture on the bottom for heat-shield-less parts, or we could even put the heat-shield on the cargo bay door exteriors. Obviously, I'm coming from a position of extreme ignorance, which is usually where bad ideas seem like good ones.

1 minute ago, danfarnsy said:

That would be interesting to tackle. The texture files are clearly designed so they wrap and mirror according to some switchable transforms. The new Mk2 parts have textures where the switching behavior just references a different section of the .dds file, correct? I wonder if we can use the mesh switch to simply refer to a different section of the texture file the way the Mk2 subtypes do? That way we could either mirror the "top" texture on the bottom for heat-shield-less parts, or we could even put the heat-shield on the cargo bay door exteriors. Obviously, I'm coming from a position of extreme ignorance, which is usually where bad ideas seem like good ones.

It's easy to move pieces of texture around on the model.  The trouble is getting the shielded part to look like actual bay doors, since nothing like that exists on the texture currently.

Edited by blowfish

1 minute ago, blowfish said:

It's easy to move pieces of texture around on the model.  The trouble is getting the shielded part to look like actual bay doors, since nothing like that exists on the texture currently.

Then I'll take this as an opportunity to learn how these things work. It's low priority, so probably safe for me to play with it. I'm also looking at modifying some of the MFDs to use some more background handlers available in RPM, in place of the text-based ones we're using now. When I have something to show for it, I'll share it.

I don't know if you saw the update to my message above on the RPM 0.26 behavior in 1.1.1... sometimes I get frustrated with how additional comments get folded into previous ones if they're made in quick succession without providing either an "edit" or "update" tag on the original. BLUF: 1.1.1 broke stage resource variables, so the newest RPM (0.26) turned it off. In 1.1.1 the updated RPM configs I provided won't be useful yet. They work fine in 1.1.0.

12 minutes ago, danfarnsy said:

Then I'll take this as an opportunity to learn how these things work. It's low priority, so probably safe for me to play with it. I'm also looking at modifying some of the MFDs to use some more background handlers available in RPM, in place of the text-based ones we're using now. When I have something to show for it, I'll share it.

I don't know if you saw the update to my message above on the RPM 0.26 behavior in 1.1.1... sometimes I get frustrated with how additional comments get folded into previous ones if they're made in quick succession without providing either an "edit" or "update" tag on the original. BLUF: 1.1.1 broke stage resource variables, so the newest RPM (0.26) turned it off. In 1.1.1 the updated RPM configs I provided won't be useful yet. They work fine in 1.1.0.

I missed that, yeah, and good to know.  I wouldn't be surprised if a workaround exists, but hopefully it'll be fixed in the next KSP version too.  I guess if you have important information, just mention me in the post: @blowfish and that'll make sure I see it.

Copyright and licensing issues matter, but it is certainly possible to read and write .dds texture files with graphics editors such as The GIMP, and do something such as changing a colour or adding a logo without having to access "sources".

I tend to create and edit textures oversized, 2x or 4x the size I use at the end, and I also use the lossless-compression (if any) multi-layer native editor format, and that all makes a huge difference to the final quality which ends up in the .dds

I also know some people get grumpy about even editing for your own use. So don't get silly. Own use 

@Wolf Baginski It's not a question of licensing or permissions (everything is licensed under CC anyway).  It's a question of having the skill to produce a high quality result without the original file with all the elements split into layers (usually a Photoshop PSD or Gimp XCF).  Not saying it's impossible, just saying I don't have the skill to do it well and in an reasonable amount of time.

Can someone confirm issues with b9 part switcher during loading? My game freezes, log says:

Spoiler

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)

InvalidOperationException: The tank definitions have not been loaded yet (done after game database load)
  at B9PartSwitch.B9TankSettings.GetTankType (System.String name) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0    at B9PartSwitch.ParseType`1[B9PartSwitch.TankType].Parse (System.String s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0    at B9PartSwitch.CFGUtil.ParseConfigValue (System.Type type, System.String value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0    at B9PartSwitch.ValueScalarConfigFieldInfo.LoadFromNode (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0    at B9PartSwitch.ConfigFieldList.Load (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0    at B9PartSwitch.CFGUtilObject.Load (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0    at B9PartSwitch.CFGUtil.AssignConfigObject (B9PartSwitch.ConfigFieldInfo field, .ConfigNode value, IConfigNode& result) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0    at B9PartSwitch.NodeListConfigFieldInfo.LoadFromNode (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0    at B9PartSwitch.ConfigFieldList.Load (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0    at B9PartSwitch.CFGUtilPartModule.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0    at B9PartSwitch.ModuleB9PartSwitch.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0    at PartModule.Load (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0    at Part.AddModule (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0    at PartLoader.ParsePart (.UrlConfig urlConfig, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0    at PartLoader+<CompileParts>c__Iterator4A.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename:  Line: -1)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at B9PartSwitch.ModuleB9PartSwitch.UpdateSubtype (Boolean fillTanks) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0    at B9PartSwitch.ModuleB9PartSwitch.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0    at Part.ModulesOnStart () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0    at Part+<Start>c__Iterator25.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename:  Line: -1)

Edited by Temeter