[1.2.2] B9 Aerospace | Release 6.2.1 (Old Thread)

bac9

I'm on 64 bit and running a heck of a lot of mods, i.e kw rocketry sp+ bda texture reducer, near future (which only electrical will work for some reason) and a few others. Is it possible with the memory for me to add the new edition of B9. If it helps, I'm also running the old version of B9 aerospace.

Im running KW Rockentry, all near future packs, b9, some 8k textures for clouds and universe(texture replacer, astronomer's visuals) and some other smaller mods. Try removing the texture reducer, as the whole point of 64-bit is to use high res textures and/or 9 million parts, assuming you have more than 4 gb of ram. My ksp uses 4.5 gb.

Uhm wait a moment, according to the changelog B9 now changes stock part properties?

Why would you do that?

Well, it wouldn't make sense to have massively overpowered stock jet engines and then much weaker (in comparison) B9 jet engines.

But when I say weaker - trust me, they're still plenty powerful.

But this is not a balancing mod. Shouldn't new parts be made compatible with stock values and not vice versa?

this mod only supports Ferram's FAR or NEAR, both of which replace the soupy submarine stock atmospheric model that the stock engines that are designed for with a much more accurate and realistic drag model. the stock drag model isn't supported at all by the B9 parts, and unpredictable behavior may result. the stock engines are WAY overpowered for FAR (which is NOT a parts mod so doesn't change or add any parts), and this mod adds lots of new engines that are in-line with FAR, so they just ModuleManager patch the stock parts to match their B9 equivalents.

no files are changed, and if it really means that much to you, modulemanager configs are plain text, so you can go edit them out.

Edited by AetherGoddess
readability, scheadability

I spent a whole day to get through the config files of B9 and their referring files to gather up a clue...i really do want those epic engine plume effects in my stock engines...but i am surely dumb and cant get it to work...can you give me a hint please? :)

Like was said, its all in the linGrow/logGrow curves.

You can copy those pretty much straight-up from an engine of the right type, then you have to adjust the size and offset curves so that the flame wont clip the model.

SmokeScreen has an in-game editor, you basically put the engine on a test bench, open the effect in the smokescreen window, set manual inputs, and go through the whole of the atmospheric density range making sure it looks good.

Fair warning, it takes 30-90 minutes per engine.

Thank you very much...well, though we have some trouble installing HotRockets! after the B9 pack^^ guess i will refer to stock engine exhaust fx.

Even so: is there a conflict between the .mu files? ive got a set of them in B9, the config for B9 refers to them; essentially the same for MP-Nazari, referring to its own .mu files, should i remove/overwrite one set of em?

Nah. Files in KSP come with a full path, like a website.

"MP_Nazari/FX/flamejet" and "B9_Aerospace/FX/HR/flamejet" are different files as far as the game's internal database is concerned.

I made a copy because all of them together take like 2mb of ram, and that frees me from having to track HotRockets too closely.

Now, the ModuleManager patches from HotRockets that edit the B9 engines, those will create an unholy mess and break pretty much all the engines.

Any ascent tips for the BRV-4 Heinlein plane? I cant seem to get it into orbit, it starts stalling at like 25k and i cant build more speed. FAR installed as well.

Edit: Got confused with the Bradbury, but the coffee's kicked in now.

Ok. basic instructions for SABRE usage:

1. Climb to 23k. You may have to climb from 15k onwards at a fairly shallow angle, depending on the TWR of your craft and its wing loading.
  2. Hold @ 23k until you reach Mach 5.4-5.5.
  3. Gently dip down to 20k. Lowering the nose 2-4 degrees from what you needed to hold 23k is plenty, you don't want to go down too fast.
  4. Once you've levelled @ 20k, Smoothly (mind those stalls!) pull up until you're at ~20 degrees pitch. Your speed should hold at Mach 5.4-5.5.
  5. At around 26-28k, switch propulsion mode.
  6. ???
  7. PROFIT!

Edited by Taverius

this mod only supports Ferram's FAR or NEAR, both of which replace the soupy submarine stock atmospheric model that the stock engines that are designed for with a much more accurate and realistic drag model. the stock drag model isn't supported at all by the B9 parts, and unpredictable behavior may result. the stock engines are WAY overpowered for FAR (which is NOT a parts mod so doesn't change or add any parts), and this mod adds lots of new engines that are in-line with FAR, so they just ModuleManager patch the stock parts to match their B9 equivalents.

It should however be FAR/NEAR's job to fix the immediate balancing problems caused by its own aerodynamics changes, not some arbitrary 3rd party mod's, and to my understanding they already do that by specifically adjusting the values of all stock jet engines (and also cutting the thrust of any other airbreathing engines in the game in half). B9's new changes to the stock engines get applied on top of that, so I assume there is some other reason?

Edited by Hurry, Starfish!

It should however be FAR/NEAR's job to fix the immediate balancing problems caused by its own aerodynamics changes, not some arbitrary 3rd party mod's, and to my understanding they already do that by specifically adjusting the values of all stock jet engines (and also cutting the thrust of any other airbreathing engines in the game in half). B9's new changes to the stock engines get applied on top of that, so I assume there is some other reason?

Yes. The reason is this is how we like it.

If you dont like it learn to delete MM configs like everyone else....

As Tav said we prefer it that way, and we didn't like the notion of the B9 engines being some inferior version of the stock jets you replace with stock to get better performance, it's meant to replace the stock jets by giving you more choice depending on the flight envelope you want and what trade-offs you prefer, the gimballing jets are awesome for agile supersonic flight but they're thirsty compared to the airliner style engines that would struggle to push you supersonic, and the high altitude jets aren't as good at low altitude/speeds etc, idea is to give you meaningful choice and more realistic flight, stock turbojets work everywhere and can propel you out of the atmosphere with ease, we've ourselves run with patches to correct them or not used them at all, but a lot of people that play B9 didn't use our jets "because they're bad" and instead use the crazy OP stock jets.

You can delete the mm patch for the stock turbo jets and play in EZ mode if you prefer.

Still that Turbojet discussion? :D

doing a summary: for low altitude fighters i still use the stock engines, due to FAR my vehicle smashes if i am going too fast...and its a pain to control the throttle permanently^^

for doing fast, upper atmosphere flights i am still using the stock turbojet...everything else is covered by the B9 parts, guess that is how its meant to be. Why building a complex multiengine jet for SSTO if i could use sabres instead.

in case no ones mentioned it yet, the download link on Curse only seem to contain the DRE cfg and nothing else :P No B9 pack. Only about 2.5kb. Kerbalstuff link is fine, and grabed my update from there.

You might wanna check, I grabbed B9 from kerbalstuff last night and it was the previous v.5.2, not the most recent v.5.2.1

As "Obsessed" wrote, grab it from the files tab on curse.

in case no ones mentioned it yet, the download link on Curse only seem to contain the DRE cfg and nothing else :P No B9 pack. Only about 2.5kb. Kerbalstuff link is fine, and grabed my update from there.

Screenshot_193.png

Curse seems to have removed the option to set the default file, for whatever reason ._.

They're more slidey in 5.2, but do check for a fix.

At this point, I'm washing my hands of it. I had it to a point where it had believable grip at small amounts of sideslip in 5.0, people said it was too tight, now I fixed it so you can do sideways landings without flipping like real planes, and people complain its too slidey.

Lets just lay out the law here:

Unity wheels are broken. Force while sliding increases linearly with slip speed, while in real life it decreases.

You can have it one way or the other - accurate at low sideslip speeds, or accurate at high sideslip speeds. Or you could have it wrong at both.

I am supposing it is probably too labor intensive at this point to switch to TouhouTorpedo's modular multiwheels? It appears to use it's own wheel system, which apparently fixes some of these things.

I just wanna say thank you to Chris for always being so polite and helping everyone so much! I like your work and I love how you actually like the KSP community! :-) Thanks for being awesome! :-)

Edited by Eddie Rod
sounded rude

I am supposing it is probably too labor intensive at this point to switch to TouhouTorpedo's modular multiwheels? It appears to use it's own wheel system, which apparently fixes some of these things.

Yes. Lots of model and .cfg rework, an extremely restrictive license, a modder who is known for throwing tantrums and disappearing, and lack of the landing-gear specific firespitter stuff.

Question: If I want to download Infernal Robotics with B9, will the required Tweakscale mess with anything? If I'm just using it for the Infernal Robotics parts will it cause issues?

Just don't scale anything with the FSfuelSwitch module on it - that's most B9 parts. If it has a fuel tank, or its an HX hangar, don't scale it. Biotronic is MIA so that's unlikely to change in the foreseeable future.

Just don't scale anything with the FSfuelSwitch module on it - that's most B9 parts. If it has a fuel tank, or its an HX hangar, don't scale it. Biotronic is MIA so that's unlikely to change in the foreseeable future.

Awesome will do. Thanks!