[1.2.2] B9 Aerospace | Release 6.2.1 (Old Thread)

bac9

No worries, happens to the best of us :)

Yeah I just wanted to note a tiny issue I found with the B9_Aerospace-Squad_Jet_Balance cfg. The overheat values don't seem to work for the basic jet engine. I was flying it around with full throttle and no explosions! I replaced the B9_Aerospace-Squad_Jet_Balance cfg with the one from 5.2 and they overheated again. Didn't know if anyone else had the issue with the stock engine over rides.

Yeah I just wanted to note a tiny issue I found with the B9_Aerospace-Squad_Jet_Balance cfg. The overheat values don't seem to work for the basic jet engine. I was flying it around with full throttle and no explosions! I replaced the B9_Aerospace-Squad_Jet_Balance cfg with the one from 5.2 and they overheated again. Didn't know if anyone else had the issue with the stock engine over rides.

Uh, It all looks correct here. Are you using DRE? 5.2 was missing some MM code to adjust the heat production we set for DRE, and they would overheat in a flash.

So....any news on the HX cockpit? Any sketches on napkins...anything?

I'm just so excited :D

We haven't done much past talking about it and trading pictures of starship bridges. K3|Chris is working on getting the S3 done, since that already has a model and quite a bit of IVA. That will probably be ready in time for 0.25, and the HX is the next one in line.

I have a strange bug, hope you can help me:

When i construct a ship and start it, everything is fine.

When i switch the vessel or reload the game (or switch to space center and back) only the engine of the vessel is left, and i cant throttle up or down. on map view the orbit is in gray instead of blue and i cant switch vessel until i go back to space center.

it only happens when using b9 parts on the vessel. If i use sock only (but whit the mod installed) everything is fine.

I used a clean install and only installed B9 (i use 32bit KSP)

With another HX ship. :) I've built a gargantuan tanker with the sole purpose of carrying a whole lot of fuel to orbit. It's not very efficient, but can top up most smaller ships that come by.

We haven't done much past talking about it and trading pictures of starship bridges. K3|Chris is working on getting the S3 done, since that already has a model and quite a bit of IVA. That will probably be ready in time for 0.25, and the HX is the next one in line.

It's bubbling in the back of my mind, but yeah I'm focusing on the S3 first. I wonder if I could get bac9 to make the external model for the HX bridge, he made the other HX parts and I'm sure he could do a better job than me on the externals, I imagine he's quite busy though, I'll ask him if he has time for it next time he strolls past me on IRC.

At least a decoupler and HX engines that support decoupling would make it much easier. And more efficient. Dragging all those gigantic empty fuel modules and launch engines around makes docking a nightmare.

At least a decoupler and HX engines that support decoupling would make it much easier. And more efficient. Dragging all those gigantic empty fuel modules and launch engines around makes docking a nightmare.

I haven't tried making proper HX ships yet but I imagine if you use stock radial decouplers (with a ton of strong struts) you could use a HX launcher, but you could also use radial KW stuff (has 5m parts now) or PP + pF push plate (can make that as large as you want with engine clusters as powerful as you want) you can launch full HX stuff from the surface, though I think bac9's primary purpose in mind when he made the parts was in-orbit construction using EPL.

Also I'm using future propulsion and I'll be go back to using KSPi at some point when I feel comfortable with it's development status and that it won't wreck UKS/Rover's stuff, KSPi/FP should help you launch HX sized stuff from kerbin as well, I'd like KSPi/FP to tweak the HX engine and reactor to use the same mechanics KSPi parts do at some point as well, B9 has a quite basic setup for the reactor and engine, it's just a scaled up RTG and a chemical rocket/ion engine, a more involved setup using KSPi mechanics and resources would be neat, but obviously B9 can't have KSPi/FP as a dependency, but an inter-operability MM patch would be neat.

Uh, It all looks correct here. Are you using DRE? 5.2 was missing some MM code to adjust the heat production we set for DRE, and they would overheat in a flash.

I am using a 24 version of DRE, 5.2. With the new settings the basic jet engines don't seem to overheat at all.

I've managed to solve the issue but I'm posting here in case it helps others:

After installing the most recent release I had a SSTO built with Interstellar Lite AM Reactors and Thermal Turbojets. I built it in the SPH under the previous release and loaded it up to finish tweaking with the current release. It loaded fine into the SPH, and went to the runway fine. Engines activated fine until I throttled up and the game barfed all over. I lost all view (total black screen) and the UI went weird (no controls on the navball, nothing showing in the staging area. I could exit to the Space Center, but that view was black also and couldn't click anything. The only solution was to shut down and restart the game.

I solved the problem by pulling the interstellar parts from the plane and re-adding them (I did it one part at a time to see if there was one in particular, but I re-added everything without issue.) Plane launches fine now.

Now if I could just figure out why the game keeps breaking when I switch from ship to ship sometimes... But that has nothing to do with B9 I think.

I'll check the basic jets again with DRE, thanks :)

No problem, the issue for me was @heatProduction = 650. Thoose little turbines a powerful and for as fast as they ares pinning their blades they should get very hot very fast at lower atmospheric heights. It seemed like they weren't building up any heat at all with the way the new config file is written. I changed the value to 950 for the basic jet engines and now they build heat almost as fast as in 5.2 but not quite as badly.

No problem, the issue for me was @heatProduction = 650. Thoose little turbines a powerful and for as fast as they ares pinning their blades they should get very hot very fast at lower atmospheric heights. It seemed like they weren't building up any heat at all with the way the new config file is written. I changed the value to 950 for the basic jet engines and now they build heat almost as fast as in 5.2 but not quite as badly.

The correct value is 650/2 for DRE :P

You're free to tune them to whatever you want, of course, but that's the intended value.

I've managed to solve the issue but I'm posting here in case it helps others:

After installing the most recent release I had a SSTO built with Interstellar Lite AM Reactors and Thermal Turbojets. I built it in the SPH under the previous release and loaded it up to finish tweaking with the current release. It loaded fine into the SPH, and went to the runway fine. Engines activated fine until I throttled up and the game barfed all over. I lost all view (total black screen) and the UI went weird (no controls on the navball, nothing showing in the staging area. I could exit to the Space Center, but that view was black also and couldn't click anything. The only solution was to shut down and restart the game.

I solved the problem by pulling the interstellar parts from the plane and re-adding them (I did it one part at a time to see if there was one in particular, but I re-added everything without issue.) Plane launches fine now.

Now if I could just figure out why the game keeps breaking when I switch from ship to ship sometimes... But that has nothing to do with B9 I think.

No idea - I haven't had the chance to play with KSPi since 0.23.5. Remember to avoid Tweakscaling ... pretty much all B9 parts. Including the engines, the default TS exponents are way off.

Remember to avoid Tweakscaling ... pretty much all B9 parts. Including the engines, the default TS exponents are way off.

Hmm - the Saber M scaled to 3.75 seems pretty reasonable. And it's way easier to fly, given the thrust imbalance when you start running low on air.