[1.2.2] B9 Aerospace | Release 6.2.1 (Old Thread)

bac9

I'll start checking what's causing it tommorow and will post results.

Just wanted to leave this here of anyone would have similiar issues: There was an older version of Firespitter.dll lying somewhere in the GameData jungle and seemingly loading and causing problems. Fixed now, great stuff :)

So, I noted that the landing gear had been tweaked for the release and removed my dirty MM hacks for R4.

Guess what? The gear work just fine, even on craft that previously did the wobbly wheel dance.

You will hear no more landing gear complaints from this corner :)

Top notch job.

In other news: Assembled a 350T space station with 0 vertical launches, from IVA. :D Spaceplanes are fun.

Awesome looking mod, however having some problems with it.

Put the download in the KSP install, then extracted and copied and pasted out to the folder and merged everything, but when loading the game either crashes or comes up with the "Fatal Error" about "Too many heap sections". Can anyone help? Is this a memory issue, and if so is there any way to correct it?

Which I haven't encountered with any stock part, nor with non-changeable B9 parts, in the last 1 1/2 years, give or take, that I have been playing this game.

Well next your going to tell me x64 works just fine and its all in my head.

Oh my goodness, well this update certainly explains the silence over the last few months. Excellent job guys/gals, I'm getting a chill down my spine like that first trip to the museum when your 3 years old, enter the front door and see a 34-40 foot tall T-Rex skeleton, like :confused::confused::confused::kiss:. Will certainly put this mod to good use.

First of all, congratulations for this amazing release!

Is there any way to fix the Tweakscale incompatibility? I use too many mods that have a dependence on it, but i would love to use B9 R5.

Thanks in advance :)

Is there any way to fix the Tweakscale incompatibility? I use too many mods that have a dependence on it, but i would love to use B9 R5.

Thanks in advance :)

I use it, just delete the B9 config in the tweakscale folder.

Make sure you remove any patches for older B9 versions also.

If it was the patch above, exactly as pasted here, that would be because I believe it's actually a NOP, since it's patching FSwheelAlignment, not FSwheel. FSwheel is the module that takes the friction curve parameters. I've not tested to confirm, but I believe they will just be ignored entirely if specified for FSwheelAlignment.

No it's not, sorry mistyped.

That might sound like a good idea, but:

• Uploading is one of the most boring and annoying parts of deploying a release. Uploading 3 times is bad enough, multiply that number and bac9 is likely to shoot you.
  • We use it all?
  • Computers have this magical ability to delete things you don't want at the press of a button

So yeah, not gonna happen. Call us lazy, whatevs k_cheesy.gif

On that note would it be possible to get a list of which dependencies are required for which parts, so when we do delete stuff we don't use we can get rid of the plugins we don't need also?

Edited by Alshain

As for whether the current values are better, I reserve judgement on that, as I've yet to spend time evaluating them. On the face of it, they look like they may well improve things, as they are (entirely coincidentally) quite close to the values that I had been playing around with, trying to find a better friction curve than the old one (which I previously contended was "sheer hell" with some heavy planes at speed, even for well strutted gear).

Well, I've now had time to spend a couple of hours playing with the R5.0 HDG landing gear, and I'm very pleased to report that the current R5.0 friction curves seem to work well for me, both on small and large aircraft. The dancing is pretty much gone for me. Planes seem to taxi reasonably both on electric wheel motors and engine thrust, including ascending and descending the ramps from KSC runway to terrain. Minor steering corrections during a takeoff or landing no longer cause most of the gear to go into a disastrous spasm. I also like the increased spring strength, my gear is no longer bottomed out by default. Biggest test case was 360t of S2W tanker sitting on 64 wheels (32 * HDG2-L).

Taverius, you get a big thumbs up and many thanks from me, for vastly improving the parameters which shipped with R5.0, compared to 4.x and earlier pre-5. Good job!

One extremely minor (probably entirely cosmetic) issue to report. The wheels seemed to be very slightly clipping into the tarmac of the runway. No idea so far if that's a generic KSP issue, or a B9 issue, or no issue at all.

Suggestion/request. A HDG2 gear module which folds sideways/inwards/upwards, allowing closely spaced axles in a fore-aft row, An-124 / An-225 style (not sure exactly how the Antonov gear retracts, no need to exactly copy the motion, just an alternative to the current fore-aft folding). That might work nicely on the S2W, attached to the flat outer edges. Current HDG2 units require rather a lot of space between axles (without clipping)

On that note would it be possible to get a list of which dependencies are required for which parts, so when we do delete stuff we don't use we can get rid of the plugins we don't need also?

FireSpitter is pretty much mandatory, used for the landing gear, to switch tank setups etc, Virgin Kalactic is only used to toggle the additional nodes on the HX parts I think, all HX parts are in GameData\B9_Aerospace\Parts\Structure_HX pretty easy to delete if you don't want the HX parts, JSI "RPM" is only used for the IVAs, in GameData\B9_Aerospace\Spaces so you can remove that if you don't use the IVAs.

My Peregrine VTOL fighter flies just fine, mostly... But then, it uses a rather crazy Infernal Robotics setup to rotate it's jets... but it works! :) It's very hard to fly, but it has a nice anti-air payload (BDArmory-based) and two tons of bombs.

FireSpitter is pretty much mandatory, used for the landing gear, to switch tank setups etc, Virgin Kalactic is only used to toggle the additional nodes on the HX parts I think, all HX parts are in GameData\B9_Aerospace\Parts\Structure_HX pretty easy to delete if you don't want the HX parts, JSI "RPM" is only used for the IVAs, in GameData\B9_Aerospace\Spaces so you can remove that if you don't use the IVAs.

Excellent. What about ResGen, Klockheed Martian, CrossFeedEnabler SmokeScreen, and KineTechAnimation?

VTOLS are easier in FAR, right? Right?? Riight???

Hmm, I'd say so because stock has really weird lift happening even when you're almost stationary, but VTOLS are tricky nonetheless, main reason they're tricky in KSP is the lack of controls to handle it and lack of fly by wire setup that handles it for you, even the harrier jump jet got upgraded to have some fly by wire to manage the VTOL later I think I recall correctly, controlling a VTOL manually is properly tricky, it can be done, and people do it in KSP, but it's quite a challenge.

Best manual VTOLS I've seen in KSP so far were all symmetrical or near to it and either had their fuel set up to drain evenly or used TAC Fuel Balancer to ensure all fuel drained evenly. This usually limits their usefulness though because it's pretty hard to make an SSTOSP symmetrical or close to it.

I flew one of these: AVYuqEum.png but with a 1m sabre added to the top and bottom of the center cargo space into space once: http://imgur.com/a/f4PzW#0 and yeah that's before the new bac9 made KSC and before B9 had landing gear.

Last time I tried VTOL I went with http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/67270-Throttle-Controlled-Avionics-1-1-0-23 not sure it still works, you also need a probe core or docking port on the top to set as your control reference to use that plugin because it doesn't understand 90 degrees from control point to thrust axis if that makes sense, needs 180. It's quite cool, it adjusts your engine's power individually and look at their locations and the way they face to work a lot like RCS does, if it realizes one engine getting more/less power would turn you in the direction you're trying to turn it tweaks the numbers a bit to get you to move in the fashion you want, it makes VTOLs very easy (or did) all you really need is enough engine thrust at the "corners" of your craft and it sorts out the rest.

Can also use MJ's translatron, to hover or slowly ascend/descend in a controlled manner

Edited by K3|Chris

I've managed a tiltjet with Infernal Robotics, but it's very, very tricky to fly, much less transition to forward flight. It works, though, but I didn't even manage a normal landing yet, much less a vertical one (it has a notoriously narrow undercarriage).