[v0.25] MEPS - Multipurpose Express Pallet System [v0.2.1] - Cargo Bay Flooring 27/10

Thiagobs

Are you tired of EVAing all the bags and bottles from your Spaceplane to your Space Station, one by one?

Is Jeb complaining that he's an Astronaut and not a delivery boy?

Are you contemplating leaving Bob without his weekly supply of fiber rich cookies?

Fear not!!

We from ThiagoBS' Hardware Store are proud to present the

MEPS - Multipurpose Express Pallet System

Conceived when a clerk used a gardening trellis to carry some heavy boxes by the top minds of our construction store, the MEPS was created to facilitate resupply missions to space stations or planetary bases!

Just attach any goods to a MEPS frame and ship 'em away!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Just pick a frame, add a Docking Port and load it up with resources! Oh, and don't forget to attach it to a Rocket, Spaceplane or Rover/Truck, Courier Services are not included!

Now with TweakScale support!

ORI - Often (not really) Responded Inquiries (or FAQ, for you cool kids!)

Q: Who?

A: I'm ThiagoBS, been lurking on KSP forums for a while and, so far, been very addicted to this game! So addicted that I decided to make a completely useless mod for it! :sticktongue:

Q: Why?

A: Why not? I wanted to make a resupply mission similar to what we have IRL, with the ISS and all, so I took upon myself to make this mod. This mod is based on the ISS ELC (ExPRESS Logistics Carrier, formerly know as Express Pallets) and the ORUs (Orbital Replacement Units).

Q: How?

A: Just grab one of the frames, add a docking port on the included mounting point and load the pallet with goods, attaching them radially.

Q: Where?

A: The MEPS Frames are located under Utilities Tab. If you're running Carreer or Science mode, they are unlocked by the Composites node!

Q: They look ugly!

A: That's not a question! Anyway, I know! I specifically learned Blender and Unity to make these parts, they are my very first venture on the 3D Modelling world!

Q: This is stupid! Why not just dock a craft and transfer the resources?

A: And where's the fun in that? :D I know that this makes things more difficult/annoying, but yeah... I don't know, I kinda wanted it, and I figured "why not release into the wild so the whole world can mock me use it?"

Q: Are there any dependencies?

A: Nope, none! Wait! Just one! You must have Kerbal Space Program installed!

Q: How on Earth will I load a pallet into a space station?

A: Well, you can use a robotic arm, made with Infernal Robotics, or a Kerbal Attachment System crane. Or a Tug!

Q: The prices and/or science node is not well balanced!

A: Yeah, I usually stick to Sandbox, so I have no idea of what would be a fair price or node. Suggestions are welcome!

Q: They wobble! Poke through the fuselage! They throw my craft around! Ugh!

A: Yup, they do! Unfortunately the docking ports aren't the most solid, stable attachment ever, so you may need to strut the loose end to prevent disaster!

Get your pallets here!

DOWNLOAD (Mediafire)

Alternate Mirror (Dropbox)

Or on the nearest hardware store!

Version History:

v0.2.1 - 03/09/2014
- Reduced texture size to a more RAM friendly size

v0.2 - 02/09/2014
- TweakScale support added
- Fixed the radial attachment node on MEPS Offset frame

v0.1 - 02/09/2014
- Initial Release

UPDATED! Space Plane Cargo Bay Flooring!

Here at ThiagoBS' Hardware Store we cater to our customer's needs! And if our customers need less space flooring on their cargo bays, we must oblige!

Available in four flavors, our Cargo Bay Flooring will provide the much needed horizontal surface to avoid payload poking!

Fits well in Porkjet's Spaceplace Plus the new Spaceplane parts and B9 MK2 Cargo Bays!

rLjI3Fel.png

sOd0FDol.png

nChGGzUl.png

6NsoCPtl.png

You want it? You need it? You have it!

Just $99.99 (taxes and shipping not included)

DOWNLOAD(Mediafire)

Alternate Mirror(Dropbox)

Notice: Due to some wonkiness on how the game treats cargo bay's thin colliders, the flooring may try to attach underneath/outside the cargo bay at first, just rotate the part using Q/E and attach it inside

Version History:

v0.2 - 27/10/2014
- Updated to KSP v0.25

v0.1 - 12/09/2014
- Initial Release

Serious Stuff:

88x31.png

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Edited by Thiagobs

Do they also function as grid fins when you aren't looking?:wink: Otherwise, it looks like a nice alternative to the other modular container systems. Good work~

Wow! I didn't even remember grid fins! Giant Bomb time!

Ooh, the perpendicular one might do well to pretty up my probes and satellites when attached around the core and covered with solar panels!

Ooops, these frames are a tad bigger than an average size probe/satellite :(

Hmmm, maybe its time for me to crack open the TweakScale manual... :D

@All,

Folks, thanks for your kind words, I appreciate it :)

I like your sense of humor kid! BTW, where's the pod in the forth picture from?

Thanks! :D

That's a Kupola Observation Module from fusty/sumghai's excellent FusTek Station Parts

I am, however, using the Dev version :)

@All,

v0.2 out, now with TweakScale support! (and a small bugfix, botched a radial attachment node there)

Edited by Thiagobs

I think the 1024x1024 texture might be overkill for what this mod does. So many mods in my install... every bit counts! :P

Yeah, you're right... I was a little overenthusiastic with the texture... :D

I am reuploading with a smaller version...

This might be just the ticket to stop things from poking through the walls of SP+ cargo bays...

Any chance of a version custom-shaped to fit neatly in the bottom of one?

You mean curved?

I'm not so sure it would do much good, the curving would restrict what you could attach on the pallet...

To circumvent that, I usually add something right at the center of the pallet, on the underside..

Like this:

hgmeaMbl.png

tTLqwrBl.png

qH8c3xfl.png

Yeah, you're right... I was a little overenthusiastic with the texture... :D

I am reuploading with a smaller version...

You mean curved?

I'm not so sure it would do much good, the curving would restrict what you could attach on the pallet...

To circumvent that, I usually add something right at the center of the pallet, on the underside..

Like this:

http://i.imgur.com/hgmeaMbl.png

http://i.imgur.com/tTLqwrBl.png

http://i.imgur.com/qH8c3xfl.png

Absurd, my eye! Those three pictures right there totally make this mod worth its virtual weight in gold. Pokie-throughs on those MK2 cargo bays have always been an annoying eyesore. Problem: Solved. Great job, and great idea! :D

You mean curved?

Like this:

http://i.imgur.com/hgmeaMbl.png

http://i.imgur.com/tTLqwrBl.png

http://i.imgur.com/qH8c3xfl.png

I was actually thinking curved-on-bottom, flat-on-top. Possibly with radial mountability underneath to remove the need for the docking clamp. Not intended as a removable pallet, just as a flat floor for the bay; sacrifice some volume for tidyness.

But I suppose a cubic octagonal or something underneath would do the job just as well, and save wear and tear on our hard-working modders. :D

The corners of the support aren't visible from under the ship?

I've noticed a problem with some of the nodes on these pieces, the ones on the long sides of the pallets. You can't attach them via those nodes to anything, it's really odd. It'll snap into place like it should work normally, but after clicking the part into place, it doesn't actually attach, like when parts refuse to attach because of clipping problems.

Doesn't worth with part clipping enabled either. I imagine it's a quick fix, but you should know. It'd be nice to be able to attach them landscape style rather than portrait.

Edit: None of the nodes on the perpendicular pallet work except for the one on the adapter.

Edited by Boomerang

I was actually thinking curved-on-bottom, flat-on-top. Possibly with radial mountability underneath to remove the need for the docking clamp. Not intended as a removable pallet, just as a flat floor for the bay; sacrifice some volume for tidyness.

(...)

The corners of the support aren't visible from under the ship?

Let me see what I can do...

I don't think it would match much the purpose of this parts mod, but I can make it as a separate download :D

Nope, the corners aren't visible under the ship, if attached like shown on those screenshots

I've noticed a problem with some of the nodes on these pieces, the ones on the long sides of the pallets. You can't attach them via those nodes to anything, it's really odd. It'll snap into place like it should work normally, but after clicking the part into place, it doesn't actually attach, like when parts refuse to attach because of clipping problems.

Doesn't worth with part clipping enabled either. I imagine it's a quick fix, but you should know. It'd be nice to be able to attach them landscape style rather than portrait.

Edit: None of the nodes on the perpendicular pallet work except for the one on the adapter.

Yeah, that's a KSP limitation, only two nodes can be attached when grabbing the part and the nodes have to be on the same axis :(

That's the same problem we have with the stock structural hub part (and similar mod parts), depending on its rotation, you can't attach the part.

I had to choose which nodes would be available for attachment, I picked the ones that people would most likely use first.

The other unavailable nodes can be used once the part is attached (meaning, you can attach stuff to them, but can't be used to attach the part to other stuff)

Let me see what I can do...

I don't think it would match much the purpose of this parts mod, but I can make it as a separate download :D

Nope, the corners aren't visible under the ship, if attached like shown on those screenshots

Yeah, that's a KSP limitation, only two nodes can be attached when grabbing the part and the nodes have to be on the same axis :(

That's the same problem we have with the stock structural hub part (and similar mod parts), depending on its rotation, you can't attach the part.

I had to choose which nodes would be available for attachment, I picked the ones that people would most likely use first.

The other unavailable nodes can be used once the part is attached (meaning, you can attach stuff to them, but can't be used to attach the part to other stuff)

Well, nuts. Because when rotated that way, they span Tal's Cargo Bay parts really nicely. Eh, I'll fiddle around with them. And thanks for letting me know the reason why, I wasn't aware of that particular limitation.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.