Where do you get your KSP Mods? Looking for an alternative?

Ronburgundy

Hello all :).

First time posting here on KSP and I was hoping some of you veterans might be willing to answer a few questions for me.

I was wondering where does everyone get their KSP mods? From what I understand is that there used to be a popular forum where mods were listed, but it was acquired by Curse.

Do you now get your Mods from Curse?

Are you happy that you get your Mods from Curse?

Would you be happy in an alternative was available?

The reason I ask these things is that I co run a website that looks to offer an alternative. But first we were hoping to talk to the community, and see what their interest is. If KSP mod authors, or users are looking for an alternative, we'd love to help.

Specifically if anyone is a Mod author, we are most interested in hearing from you. We'd not only like to be an alternative, but also make improvements in areas where others have failed to do so.

If you'd wish, you can check us out at http://solidice.com .

Please keep in mind that we are in the very early stages of development, and the site changes daily, but if the KSP community would like, we'd like to include you in our future plans.

Thanks for any and all input :).

Mods are usually announced here on the forum in the release section.

While curse is the official hosting site, and kerbal stuff is the community alternative, the majority of mods are still hosted on github / mediafire / dropbox and the like.

To be honest, I have exactly 0% care factor about where the mods are hosted. I'm interested in the mail, not the letterbox.

yah, but it is nice getting an email telling you that one of your mods just got updated, instead of having to check them all manually (especially when you have 68 mods installed)

yah, but it is nice getting an email telling you that one of your mods just got updated, instead of having to check them all manually (especially when you have 68 mods installed)

KSP-AVC is nice for that as well... get my notifications on launch with a link to the download, wherever it is (and the github integration is nice... push a release, everyone with the plugin knows). And zero change to my workflow with Git.

I just browse the Add-On Releases and Add-On Development subforums.

Is the install you have of a given mod working? If yes, does the update add a new feature you want? If no, don't update. No need.

Is the install you have of a given mod working? If no, does the update fix that? If no, don't update, waste of time.

Keeping up to date just for the sake of keeping up to date is a waste of time and a hassle. If it isn't broken don't fix it. If it is broken don't update until the update you're installing actually fixes the problem, and wait a few days as well to make sure you don't end up installing one that breaks other things.

Edited by Kenobi McCormick

I just browse the Add-On Releases and Add-On Development subforums.

Is the install you have of a given mod working? If yes, does the update add a new feature you want? If no, don't update. No need.

Is the install you have of a given mod working? If no, does the update fix that? If no, don't update, waste of time.

Keeping up to date just for the sake of keeping up to date is a waste of time and a hassle. If it isn't broken don't fix it. If it is broken don't update until the update you're installing actually fixes the problem, and wait a few days as well to make sure you don't end up installing one that breaks other things.

I strongly urge anyone reading this thread to disregard the notion put forth above, for these reasons:

1. Just because the update didn't change anything you have noticed/care about, does not mean it has not settled issues/bugs that could arise in your future play.

2. Mod authors, for the most part, do not push needless updates out; so if they updated, there is a reason for it and you should get it. (Most mod authors(and developers in general) will not support an older version of their mod, as some part of the code they adjusted could have quelled the issue that is arising in your play on the older version.)

3. If the saying "If it aint broke, dont fix it" was anywhere near true or held with high regard, we would have little to no innovation in the world. (There is always a better mouse trap.)

I hope you dont take this the wrong way Kenobi. I mean this with respect for your opinion, and would hate for my words to be misconstrued as rude.

Edited by WololoW
Clarified

1. Just because the update didn't change anything you have noticed/care about, does not mean it has not settled issues/bugs that could arise in your future play.

KSP doesn't randomly refactor its code. If the mod worked when you installed it it's still going to work three months from now.

2. Mod authors, for the most part, do not push needless updates out; so if they updated, there is a reason for it and you should get it. (Most mod authors(and developers in general) will not support an older version of their mod, as some part of the code they adjusted could have quelled the issue that is arising in your play on the older version.)

What makes an update useless varies player to player. If all is working well I do not have any use for an update that doesn't add content I like. Updating just for the sake of updating is how we get broken game installs.

3. If the saying "If it aint broke, dont fix it" was anywhere near true or held with high regard, we would have little to no innovation in the world.

It's been keeping my computers and my cars running like swiss watches for years.

KSP doesn't randomly refactor its code. If the mod worked when you installed it it's still going to work three months from now.

Define working then, as most wont check their debug menu or output_log.txt/player.log until there is a crash. What one may think is working in an outward manner, may be having internal mess-ups/errors occurring, even ones that aren't game-breaking but are just bug-inducing.

What makes an update useless varies player to player. If all is working well I do not have any use for an update that doesn't add content I like. Updating just for the sake of updating is how we get broken game installs.

I don't try to assume to know "how we get broken game installs," but I do know that it is not from updating every mod as it releases new builds. One of the factors may be user error, but that is speculation as I do not have any metrics on broken game installs in-front of me.

It's been keeping my computers and my cars running like swiss watches for years.

All three of those(computers, cars, and swiss watches) have benefited from innovation and not abiding by the saying you are trying to use them against.

Define working then

Does the game start? If yes, does the mod in question do as it is supposed to do? If yes, it's working.

I don't try to assume to know "how we get broken game installs," but I do know that it is not from updating every mod as it releases new builds. One of the factors may be user error, but that is speculation as I do not have any metrics on broken game installs in-front of me.

So you basically deny the possibility of an update to one mod breaking the several others that are, for some bizarre reason, depend on that mod? Because that's what I'm referring to when I say that. I see it happen all the time, I've had it happen in other games. It's annoying as hell.

All three of those(computers, cars, and swiss watches) have benefited from innovation

And innovation is entirely different. You can innovate while not fixing what isn't broken. You're applying the saying in ways it was never meant to be applied. It was always meant as an easy way to remind people not to eff with something unless it needs it. To not fix something that isn't broken. It's one of the most literal idioms in the English language. If my install of KSP is working I don't need to fix it, so why should I fix it anyway? If my car is working I don't need to fix it, so why should I fix it anyway?

Does the game start? If yes, does the mod in question do as it is supposed to do? If yes, it's working.

Do you seriously suggest that you stress test every single part of a plugin and every part that a mod adds before calling it working? I think not.

So you basically deny the possibility of an update to one mod breaking the several others that are, for some bizarre reason, depend on that mod? Because that's what I'm referring to when I say that. I see it happen all the time, I've had it happen in other games. It's annoying as hell.

So now you are only suggesting not to update mods that others have a dependency on? Perhaps you should have been clear about that in the first place. (Side note: Mods normally distribute their dependencies [the only two mods that are hard-coded-dependencies that I have encountered are Firespitter and Toolbar, both of which are bundled with nearly every mod that has them as a hard-dependency.] Also, I have updated Firespitter several times when mods like S6, and MKS are dependent on [an older version] and they still work with no error in the logs.) Care to give an example?

And innovation is entirely different. You can innovate while not fixing what isn't broken. You're applying the saying in ways it was never meant to be applied. It was always meant as an easy way to remind people not to eff with something unless it needs it. To not fix something that isn't broken. It's one of the most literal idioms in the English language. If my install of KSP is working I don't need to fix it, so why should I fix it anyway? If my car is working I don't need to fix it, so why should I fix it anyway?

What is so broken about the same car you have only a model year earlier? I would venture to say nothing is/was. What was so 'broken' about watches a century ago that made them need to be 'fixed' many thousands of times over? Also, why are you using a PC when you could be on a Commodore or Apple1?

Some things are innovated because your view on 'broken' may not coincide with another's view on that same subject.

Edited by WololoW

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.