[1.2.2] Stock Part Revamp, Update 1.9.6. Released Source Files!

Ven

One thing I've noticed is that the colliders don't mesh with the model. For instance, the swept wing seems to have a single plane as a collider that is deep within the wing itself. This means that the small flat solar panels, for instance, will be inside the wing model when attached. I don't know if this is desired behavior but it does make them very hard to tile. :) There are a few other instances where the colliders don't look right; I'll try to get a list of what seems to be wrong for you in the next day or two.

I have two small requests, one: Make it so mods that use stock textures are rerouted to backed up versions, ideally without loading them if they aren't used. And two: make stockalike procedural fairings textures, as the ones that come it are ugly, and the KOSMOS ones stand out with this.

#1 would take a crapton of plugin work, because you would have to write your own part compilation system, I think.

Unless you mean "make an MM file that does it for all known parts that use stock textures" which would be a lot of copypaste and also only work for known parts.

ERRHRAAHH i am far too tempted to download this and kill all my stockalike mods in the process....

RLA Stockalike works, since it uses its own textures. I think KSPX does as well, and KAX works if you do a little config tweaking to fix problems made by Firespitter changes.

Could you post some screenshots/more info on the alternate part and textures?

I've seen some of them, I'm sure, but they're scattered and I am not sure which is which.

Edited by akron

Any chance you could give the Mk1-2 pod a permanent heatsheild? Maybe even with Deadly Re-entry support built in?

Don't please. That would mess with too many designs that assume the bottom has a hatch that allows passage to parts underneath. Crew manifest and connected living space in particular assume this on a functional level unless a part that blocks passage (like a heat shield) are placed underneath

That would mess with too many designs that assume the bottom has a hatch that allows passage to parts underneath.

Heatshields with hatches through them have been susessfully tested in both the VA and the Gemini B, both survived unmanned tests just fine.

SaCihBP.jpg

I say a heatshield, if added, should have a hatch like that, or just have it as a separate part in the extras folder.

Speaking of heatshields, you know that gap around the edge of the Mk1 heatshield when it's put on a tank, or for that matter, anything that's not the exact decoupler it was planned for, there should be a fairing around tha little gap.

Yeah, if there is going to be a heatshield then it should be its own part in Structural or Utility. If people want a unified Capsule/Heatshield then there's ways to weld models together and that can be released as an extra ModuleManager config. Offer both options and it won't be a huge inconvenience to either party, like what we see with the NASA IXS Warpship mod. (I think I brought this up earlier in the thread, in fact...)

Edited by OrbitusII

Hey, I had a quick question.

I installed some of the part revamps, not all of them, but a majority of them, and I didn't realize that this would have an effect on SXT, because it uses stock textures. I didn't back up at the time because I assume that going into Steam and rebuilding the cache will fix this. Is it correct to think this? I haven't changed any other stock parts, so it won't mess with any other mods I have installed, right?

Thanks!

I assume that going into Steam and rebuilding the cache will fix this. Is it correct to think this? I haven't changed any other stock parts, so it won't mess with any other mods I have installed, right?

I don't know how good Steams Verify Cache function is - you're probably better off deleting the Squad folder and then verifying. And if you have no other mods that add or change stuff to that Squad folder (like KW Rocketry and the launch clamp sounds), you'll be fine.

I thought someone posted a link to download the original stock parts somewhere in the thread, but I can't seem to find it. Send me a PM and I can throw you a copy of my backup.

Edit: Looked like someone was asking about it but we didn't get that figured out. Send me a PM via this link if you want the stock parts back.

Edited by OrbitusII

ok i just tried your mod and i believe it should be the next mod that should be stock i mean god its beautiful parts and textures and everything is just awesome

it didn't even interfere with SDHI's paradock i mean look it looks mostly fine

jvMa6yD.jpg

Don't please. That would mess with too many designs that assume the bottom has a hatch that allows passage to parts underneath. Crew manifest and connected living space in particular assume this on a functional level unless a part that blocks passage (like a heat shield) are placed underneath

If the collider is placed in the same location, the heatshield is hidden so that, for all intents and purposes, it isn't there. Heck, even have a 1.25m diameter groove cut into the heatshield to act like a hatch. :P

If not, then okay. Can we at least get a good ven-alike heatshield for the pod?

Speaking of heatshields, you know that gap around the edge of the Mk1 heatshield when it's put on a tank, or for that matter, anything that's not the exact decoupler it was planned for, there should be a fairing around the little gap.

Or just make the collider/attachment node inside the heatshield so that it fits in nicely there as well; meanwhile the 1.25m Decoupler gets it's attachment node moved up a bit so that it doesn't sink into any other parts.

By chance is there anyway, I can get the chutes with a png format so, I can chance it to what, I want ? and the rest of this parts look great nice job.

Make sure to check the OP for stuff like that, Ven's put extra parachute stuff and even a UnityPackage full of stuff to help with that in the first post.

Make sure to check the OP for stuff like that, Ven's put extra parachute stuff and even a UnityPackage full of stuff to help with that in the first post.

O Man thanks, I'm blind and can Linux run unity now ?

EDIT- and no :(

Edited by Mecripp2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.