[1.2.2] Stock Part Revamp, Update 1.9.6. Released Source Files!

Ven

Main KSP folder. It seems to work by renaming the extensions of Squad's textures and models to ".ext"+"bak". This however should break mods that reference them, and it should't work if you have converted the textures to dds. So use it with care.
I'd put it in the main KSP. The bat file modifies the unneeded stock files with a different extension (mubac or mbmbac), one which KSP refuses to load.

Thank you both. I haven't dds'd any Squad textures (not yet at least) and it has worked a treat. I don't have any mods that reference Squad textures but I have a backup just in case one comes in future.

Anyway: there's intakes on the Mk1 pit! Finally! :D And I'm serious, I want to give you pizza/caffeine money! >_< And the alternative models for the engines.. oh my days, you've excelled yourself, Ven. These are some of the most beautiful models and textures I have ever seen.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

My review of the new update:

On a whole, I love it. But I have a few things in specific that I'd like to comment on.

-It looks like you've gotten rid of the alternate textures. I miss my striped FL-T800 tank.

-I love the shiny texture-replacer compatibility.

-I like how you brought back the name for the poodle in that mini nuclear engine. Though I guess this means I won't get to use that name for the Service Engine anymore.

-The glowing lights on the batteries look great!

-I miss the AA-Cell Battery look of the smallest battery pack. If this isn't going to be changed, then please edit the description to remove the reference to two AAAA batteries.

-I looked at the model for the RT-10, hoping that it had been reverted to a single-nozzle version which looks more authentic for what it is (A can of boom), and then found that instead the yellow which so endearingly rung bells of Jebediah Kerman's Junkyard and Spaceship Parts Co had been painted over! This saddened me. :(

-I love all the new solar panels! They look beautiful! Especially with TextureReplacer! I wonder if the original reflective shaders mod would still work, and if so this may be a much more authentic choice for bringing shininess to all parts, as it does not rely on the skybox. The reason a special skybox texture is used by texture replacer is because Unity can;t handle transparent reflections, so the reflections of helmets are actually fake. If the original reflections mod is still available, many parts (Particularly the silver Rockomax Tanks) would look amazingly awesome!

-Is it just me, or are even the windows of pods using reflections now? Awesome!

-I do like the file structure no longer replacing SQUAD's folder. Much better if you want to revert to totally stock.

-I love the variant engines, especially the radial-out mounted LV-1.

-I just saw RCS ports of the Mk1-2 pod. Do they work, I wonder? THEY DO! :D

-Playing around with the pod, I noticed some very nice normal maps.

-Can't wait to see you re-imagine the NASAmission parts.

-Would love to see your rendition of the Mk1 Lander Can. I like the darker textures on the Mk2 can.

-I removed your remodels/textures of the Spaceplane Plus parts, because I truly think they're good enough to stand alone in stock. I would undo this if you added more, larger, different wings and control surfaces.

-The BACC Booster looks much better now, it is more dirty and has more segments built into the booster, like it's original model.

-You sneaky devil. A triangular structural panel. :)

-Mk IV Cubic Strut's description is a bit wonk. It has "description = " in the description box.

-Speaking of struts, what about a revamped strut connector?

-Or radial decouplers?

-Looking forewards to probe cores as well.

-Why is there still no Clampotron Sr. Remodel?

-Almost every revamped part seems to be improved in some way from the last update. Everything now looks so good, I refuse to ever use stock models again and will try ever so much harder to get Squad to implement this into stock. If you were their lead artist, the game would be unbelievably pretty!

So in conclusion, this has now gone from being a "Pretty darn neat to have" to "MUST HAVE OMG ARRRHSASDFNWOAJNDJAN" in this one update. Very very very well done Mr. Ven. Also, I'm curious to see how you'd revamp the Kerbal player model? Shaw (texture replacer's developer) said he once tried replacing a Kerbal model, but they all have different rigging. If you were to rig the Kerbal model the same as stock...

EDIT: After looking at the learstar, I decided to instal the Spaceplane Plus section of the pack. :)

Edited by GregroxMun

Love the new folder structure, so that you aren't overwriting squad textures.

For some reason with the Mk. 1-2 CM, the rcs jets constantly show that they are firing all the time. (They aren't, actually, they just look like it.) Too bad, because working RCS jets on stock pods would be great!

EDIT: When the RCS jets "fire" in the VAB and on the pad, debug shows a "IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range" error. Any ideas?

Edited by Kitworks

My review of the new update:

On a whole, I love it. But I have a few things in specific that I'd like to comment on.

-It looks like you've gotten rid of the alternate textures. I miss my striped FL-T800 tank.

-I love the shiny texture-replacer compatibility.

-I like how you brought back the name for the poodle in that mini nuclear engine. Though I guess this means I won't get to use that name for the Service Engine anymore.

-The glowing lights on the batteries look great!

-I miss the AA-Cell Battery look of the smallest battery pack. If this isn't going to be changed, then please edit the description to remove the reference to two AAAA batteries.

-I looked at the model for the RT-10, hoping that it had been reverted to a single-nozzle version which looks more authentic for what it is (A can of boom), and then found that instead the yellow which so endearingly rung bells of Jebediah Kerman's Junkyard and Spaceship Parts Co had been painted over! This saddened me. :(

-I love all the new solar panels! They look beautiful! Especially with TextureReplacer! I wonder if the original reflective shaders mod would still work, and if so this may be a much more authentic choice for bringing shininess to all parts, as it does not rely on the skybox. The reason a special skybox texture is used by texture replacer is because Unity can;t handle transparent reflections, so the reflections of helmets are actually fake. If the original reflections mod is still available, many parts (Particularly the silver Rockomax Tanks) would look amazingly awesome!

-Is it just me, or are even the windows of pods using reflections now? Awesome!

-I do like the file structure no longer replacing SQUAD's folder. Much better if you want to revert to totally stock.

-I love the variant engines, especially the radial-out mounted LV-1.

-I just saw RCS ports of the Mk1-2 pod. Do they work, I wonder? THEY DO! :D

-Playing around with the pod, I noticed some very nice normal maps.

-Can't wait to see you re-imagine the NASAmission parts.

-Would love to see your rendition of the Mk1 Lander Can. I like the darker textures on the Mk2 can.

-I removed your remodels/textures of the Spaceplane Plus parts, because I truly think they're good enough to stand alone in stock. I would undo this if you added more, larger, different wings and control surfaces.

-The BACC Booster looks much better now, it is more dirty and has more segments built into the booster, like it's original model.

-You sneaky devil. A triangular structural panel. :)

-Mk IV Cubic Strut's description is a bit wonk. It has "description = " in the description box.

-Speaking of struts, what about a revamped strut connector?

-Or radial decouplers?

-Looking forewards to probe cores as well.

-Why is there still no Clampotron Sr. Remodel?

-Almost every revamped part seems to be improved in some way from the last update. Everything now looks so good, I refuse to ever use stock models again and will try ever so much harder to get Squad to implement this into stock. If you were their lead artist, the game would be unbelievably pretty!

So in conclusion, this has now gone from being a "Pretty darn neat to have" to "MUST HAVE OMG ARRRHSASDFNWOAJNDJAN" in this one update. Very very very well done Mr. Ven. Also, I'm curious to see how you'd revamp the Kerbal player model? Shaw (texture replacer's developer) said he once tried replacing a Kerbal model, but they all have different rigging. If you were to rig the Kerbal model the same as stock...

Changed a simple post about not liking the RT-10's yellow stripe removal to be a long post about how amazing this update is.

This still works in .90

You just need the updated ModuleManager as well.

It works fine in 0.90.

Oh........... I feel like a fool for not trying haha. You can't blame me though, I've been playing KSP literally non stop all day. I haven't closed the game once xD

But it looks like I'm going to have to in order to get this delicious mod!!!

Ven, thanks so much for the awesomeness, and also thanks for letting me do a bit of surgery. :]

Do take all pruner etc complaints my way, they're not Ven's fault :D

One quick note: the release archive is currently shipping a very outdated release of ModuleManager. I'll upload the .90-compatible version to the repo when I get back on my desktop, but for now please nuke 2.5.1 and use 2.5.4 from the MM thread instead.

One quick note: the release archive is currently shipping a very outdated release of ModuleManager. I'll upload the .90-compatible version to the repo when I get back on my desktop, but for now please nuke 2.5.1 and use 2.5.4 from the MM thread instead.

Will 2.5.4 automatically work with the revamp or does it change something that would make this incompatible? And what exactly do new versions of ModuleManager do?

Will 2.5.4 automatically work with the revamp or does it change something that would make this incompatible? And what exactly do new versions of ModuleManager do?

you'll have to check the MM change log for those details. however, as far as i know, no new version of MM of late has been incompatible with an old one. 2.5.4 works just the same with 0.90 as 2.5.[1,2,3] did with 0.25.

Two things.

1: I never ran the VSR_Prune.bat file but when I loaded KSP , hoping to directly compare your model textures to the stock ones , the stock ones were no longer present and only the revamped ones were available. I'm running Active Texture Management if that makes a difference.

2: After that happened, I ran VSR_Prune.bat and noticed it renamed the stock textures. So is there another .bat file to rename them back or do I have to manually rename/reinstall them?

Other than that, I love what I'm seeing so far! Great work!

I got a problem when i run the VSR_prune.sh in terminal (ubuntu 14.04 x64) mv: cannot stat ‘GameData/Squad/Parts/Utility/sensorBarometer/Glass.mbm’: No such file or directory.but for all the parts can anyone help??

sorry if its really simple im a linux noob

Thanks

EDIT: by the way i used ./VSR_prune.sh to run it

I got a problem when i run the VSR_prune.sh in terminal (ubuntu 14.04 x64) mv: cannot stat ‘GameData/Squad/Parts/Utility/sensorBarometer/Glass.mbm’: No such file or directory.but for all the parts can anyone help??

sorry if its really simple im a linux noob

Thanks

EDIT: by the way i used ./VSR_prune.sh to run it

You need to run the sh script from your KSP root directory.

Two things.

1: I never ran the VSR_Prune.bat file but when I loaded KSP , hoping to directly compare your model textures to the stock ones , the stock ones were no longer present and only the revamped ones were available. I'm running Active Texture Management if that makes a difference.

2: After that happened, I ran VSR_Prune.bat and noticed it renamed the stock textures. So is there another .bat file to rename them back or do I have to manually rename/reinstall them?

Other than that, I love what I'm seeing so far! Great work!

The pack replaces the parts even if you don't run prune.bat or prune.sh. However, the models and the textures for the old parts still get loaded although you can't see them since no part uses them.

Edited by shaw

Not sure what's happening here. I tried adding rescaleFactor = 1.25 in Part Revamp-MM.cfg to the cockpit to see if it would fix it. It didn't.

uhohshaggy.jpg

EDIT - What's even odder is there's no issue in the SPH.

EDIT 2 - Nevermind. Second launch from the SPH and it's now fine. I guess KSP had a brainfart.

Edited by AlphaAsh

I have a problem. When I clip two turbojets (not the basic jets), after loading they "bounce" until they aren't clipping. This doesn't happen with the other engines.

Otherwise, everything is just perfect. Keep up with the good work!

You should be able to find the cfg for the part and change it to allow clipping. The cfg is located inside Squad\Parts\Engine\jetEngineTurbo.

You have to change this: attachRules = 1,0,1,0,0

to this: attachRules = 1,0,1,0,1

Ven, I just installed this pack for the first time, and can I just say... wow! This is amazing. I really really like how you implemented working RCS into the Mk1-2 pod!

...is there *any* chance you are going to do the same for the new Mk3 cockpit, giving it RCS ports just like the real shuttle? Please say yes. Oh please.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.