[1.2.2] Stock Part Revamp, Update 1.9.6. Released Source Files!

Ven

I'm a little confused: does this mod add any parts or does it only contain reworks of the stock parts?

It does both of those things.

- - - Updated - - -

I did. Restarting the game seems to have solved it.

Reloading the vessel seems to solve that problem for me.

Does this in any way mess with the way SAS works with torque? My satellites are shaking like crazy and I can't figure out what mod I installed changed it.

Do you use any parts from Infernal Robotics on your satellites?

I cannot help but feel like this particular release is a step backwards in certain areas.

For one it seems like the scale and fit of certain parts needs a lot of polish, particularly in the area of command pods and the things that are designed to attach to them. The Mk16 (1.25m) parachute is laughably small and does not fit the 1.25m pod. The Mk1-2 pod seems to be slightly to small relative to its corresponding hardware, particularly in the area of the 2.5m heatshield having a noticeable seam. Also the Mk16XL and standard Clamp-o-Tron are poor fits.

What happened to the Clamp-o-Tron/Parachute hybrid? Admittedly I am somewhat spoiled by the SDHI setup, and am loath to use a Mk1-2 pod that doesnt have a port/chute any more. I do like the new escape shell cover, but again without a useful piece of hardware for the top of a 1-2 pod, it is doomed to crater.

Please forgive my somewhat harsh criticism, it is meant to be constructive and of course subject to interpretation.

Does this in any way mess with the way SAS works with torque? My satellites are shaking like crazy and I can't figure out what mod I installed changed it.

This would happen for me if I had too much SAS torque on small probes/satellites. This causes instability in the SAS feedback loop, it over corrects, and the probe starts shaking around. I use Tweakable Everything to adjust the torque on SAS modules. Or I just turn off any SAS modules once their not needed anymore, the probe core itself provides enough torque.

- - - Updated - - -

What happened to the Clamp-o-Tron/Parachute hybrid?

The Clamp-O-Tron/Parachute hybrid hasn't been removed...

I cannot help but feel like this particular release is a step backwards in certain areas.

For one it seems like the scale and fit of certain parts needs a lot of polish, particularly in the area of command pods and the things that are designed to attach to them. The Mk16 (1.25m) parachute is laughably small and does not fit the 1.25m pod.

Guessing you installed via CKAN? Yeah I had that too then I reinstalled by manually downloading and the mk16 had a correct fit on the mk 1 pod.

However, this mod doesn't work together with RealChute or Deadly Re-entry anyways so I'm postponing installing this again until these issues are resolved.

This would happen for me if I had too much SAS torque on small probes/satellites. This causes instability in the SAS feedback loop, it over corrects, and the probe starts shaking around. I use Tweakable Everything to adjust the torque on SAS modules. Or I just turn off any SAS modules once their not needed anymore, the probe core itself provides enough torque.

The probe core I WANT (one with prograde/retragrade aim) has 0 torque, but I tried it with a worse core that has very small torque (.3) and the same thing happens.

OMG! How did I not know about this... As soon as I saw the parts in game I thought "This is what 1.0 SHOULD have looked like". Bravo!

Oh, one tiny thing... AVC complains that the mod is made to run on 1.0 and not 1.0.2

Edited by tg626

While some of your issues are due to a weird installation, I have to agree with this. Quite a few parts range from weird to "Why?". Screenshots below, but in link form (There are a number of them, and they are quite big).

For one it seems like the scale and fit of certain parts needs a lot of polish, particularly in the area of command pods and the things that are designed to attach to them. The Mk16 (1.25m) parachute is laughably small and does not fit the 1.25m pod.

I thought I'd address this one first since it was brought up. The parachute is, indeed, not big enough to fit on top. There are visible gaps where places should be covered.

Figure 1

Heatsheilds are a bit...round. Not only that but it is an ungodly shade of pink/red.

Figure 2

Comparison (Orion Heatsheild) (Refresh page to see image)

Service bays BADLY need a bottom and top. I get what is being done here, but it simply doesn't work. Things attached to the node float, and there is no surface to place items that don't go onto.

Figure 3

Fairing bases are a bit tall, but I have a feeling I'm missing something here.

Figure 4

Engine nacelle likes sharp edges a lot. So much so that it just stands out too much.

Figure 5

Last image is mainly a question and a complaint. Is there a SRB on earth that uses the nozzle from the left, or the four nozzles on the right? Also the Vernor now looks like someone taped a brick to the stack, and could use some streamlining.

Figure 6

Those combined with the flap glitches, the aerospike node error, and a couple other parts (Mainly somewhat paint-bucket coloring of extra parts like the Dachshund) and the whole release feels like a step back.

Edited by Tankman101

Sadly, I find they break the built in scenarios too and in flight craft. (misplaced parts, frozen uncontrollable pods, etc.) I had expected based on descriptions that it wouldn't do that.

;.;

I have a two small suggestions for this.

1. Make the 2.5m fuel tanks more "Apollo". As in making them white with black stripes.

2. I hate the 2-man lander. It just looks horrible being rounded. If you can make it look more angular like the 1-man lander pod, it would be amazing for Apollo-style landings! (Especially with this mod!)

I have a two small suggestions for this.

1. Make the 2.5m fuel tanks more "Apollo". As in making them white with black stripes.

2. I hate the 2-man lander. It just looks horrible being rounded. If you can make it look more angular like the 1-man lander pod, it would be amazing for Apollo-style landings! (Especially with this mod!)

I'd recommend the ALCOR mod for a more "Apollo style" lander pod.

Hi. i really do like you mod. but i also like to be able to choose wich parts to install and it's very very tedious to do so. Would really appreciate if each part got its own cfg file, and even a folder. ( you can look at the file structure of MI fuel tank expansion to get an idea of an easy to trim mod).

I also like the fact that you can attach engine in a bigger or smaller socket. but it's still a bit buggy and when you remove the "fairing" some of them got a little offset.

For some reason, the mk 1-2 part disappears under aerodynamic stress when it's under a fairing or maybe the camera drifts from center of mass. Is there a fix for this? Also, the pruner files won't work. It says it cannot find the files specified.

Edited by Sideswiper22

@Tankman101 Regarding Figure6 While I don't know about the SRB on the left, the four nozzle SRB has in fact been used in reality!! Early Minuteman missiles anyone??

SRB on left looks like AJ-60A.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/98/Atlas_V_SRB_without_Nose_cone.jpg

Lovely little booster that 4 nozzle one is. Very unique.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.