[1.2.2] Stock Part Revamp, Update 1.9.6. Released Source Files!

Ven

Yes, unused stack nodes have always caused drag in stock aerodynamics and probably hasn't changed much since before 1.0. Because other sources of drag are much lower now, stack nodes are now one of the biggest sources of drag.

Source: On the particulars of drag in 1.0.4

I can't find any specific mention of stack nodes in there. One way to actually test it would be to try a nose cone stack vs surface attached to the front.

Val, open stack nodes have *never* caused drag in stock KSP, and they certainly don't now. Early (pre-1.0) versions of FAR did that.

The stock occlusion system in 1.0 will remove part of a part's drag if you attach something on a node, but you don't *lose* anything by adding open nodes. Is that what you're thinking of?

Val, open stack nodes have *never* caused drag in stock KSP, and they certainly don't now. Early (pre-1.0) versions of FAR did that.

The stock occlusion system in 1.0 will remove part of a part's drag if you attach something on a node, but you don't *lose* anything by adding open nodes. Is that what you're thinking of?

Yes, that is kinda what, I meant. But I was probably expressing it in a misleading way, because the way I'm approaching it.

To me, any drag that could be removed/reduced is something that is causing drag. From your explanation, I can see that my understanding wasn't quite correct, just an approximation. It's the other way around. It's not nodes themselves that cause drag, but attaching something to a node, can reduce the parts drag.

I'm still wondering, though. Will it reduce drag on Ven's LV-N, if the 3rd node is covered with an appropriate nose/tail cone?

No, because there won't be any more area to occlude in that direction, the other stack node being attached will already have occluded it all.
Ah. Got it. Thank you, very much for explaining and correcting my misinterpretation of the observations.

At least, I was right about stack node drag not having changed :sticktongue:

Someone for the love of Kraken please add this to the modding compilation sticky!

There's two attachment nodes very close together on the reworked LV-N, attaching to one makes the tankbutt appear like that, attaching to the other does not. The nodes are really close together, which can make it a bit tricky to attach to the correct one.

It works!!!

Thanks so much.

Hey Val, is there a version that's purely cosmetic? The textures are really nice but i want to stick with 100% stock functionality and parts.
While I wish I could take credit for this awesome mod, I think you got some names confused. [thread=92764]Ven[/thread], is who you're looking for.

(which is extra confusing for me because Ven is pretty similar to my RL name)

Hey Val, is there a version that's purely cosmetic? The textures are really nice but i want to stick with 100% stock functionality and parts.

If you remove the "Part Bin" folder from inside the VenStockRevamp folder in GameData you will be left with only stock parts. Removing any additional functionality would require poking around in the cfgs in /GameData/VenStockRevamp/Squad folder, less sure about how to go about that.

If you remove the "Part Bin" folder from inside the VenStockRevamp folder in GameData you will be left with only stock parts. Removing any additional functionality would require poking around in the cfgs in /GameData/VenStockRevamp/Squad folder, less sure about how to go about that.

In some cases, that won't work either and your only choice is to remove the revamped model. Though they look great, the RCS jets in the pack are pretty terrible functionally. They are angled just ever so slightly which messes with an attempt to balance your RCS Translation. Even the 45 degree angle RCS (extra part) the top and bottom jets are not straight, so the forward and backward jets fire when translating left and right. This angle is part of the mesh and can't be altered in the configs as far as I know (I couldn't find it anyway). In the end, all you can do is revert them back to stock.

I love this pack, but there are still some little quirks like that one that need to be ironed out.

I did send Ven a pull request to fix the Mk26 parachute so it acts like a drogue (heat-wise). That can be done in configs.

Edited by Alshain

Does anyone have or know how to set this pack up as a pure addition to stock rather than a drop-in replacement? I really like the tanks, but there are some replacement parts that I don't really like (or ruined the aesthetics of some designs, mainly my SSTOs). I'm running the x64 workaround, so RAM isn't an issue.

I really like the new textures, but some of the new models are questionable (for drop-in replacements). I'd rather have them as extras rather than replacements. Any possible help on this? Would it be possible to set these up as FireSpitter mesh/texture switches?

Edited by StahnAileron

Do you have Real Chutes installed? Looks like, you have...

Is this the problem you have?

https://youtu.be/KNbWSN93MX0?list=PL...cM2ixngrJk9_Su

I have the same problem.

Not sure if this was already answered, but go over to the git hub, download the master, and replace your old ven folder in GameData with the newest one.

Not sure if this was already answered, but go over to the git hub, download the master, and replace your old ven folder in GameData with the newest one.

When you say "download the master" do you mean "v1.8.1.zip"? I've downloaded that and replaced my old ven folder but seem to still have the issue.

@Ven, could you rename the TR-8A Stack Decoupler to the TR-8A Radial Decoupler please? Stack decouplers decouple stacks, radial decouplers decouple radial stuff :)

http://i.imgur.com/CmPu0SJ.jpg

Funny part is that it is actually called "MiniRadialDecoupler" in the config file. You can edit the name yourself by editing \GameData\VenStockRevamp\Part Bin\ExtraDecouplers.cfg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.