[1.2.2] Stock Part Revamp, Update 1.9.6. Released Source Files!

Ven

Sad to see that Ven has decided to step away from development of this mod, but it is after all his decision to make. I wish him the best in any future projects, and I very much hope he will allow someone to take over development, as my current career is rather dependent on it. 

Is the current version working out of the box if I do a fresh mod reinstall?

Generally speaking I *think* this is not quite working at the moment... In summary:

• version 1.9.3 was released, looked beautiful (sans spaceX legs unfortunately, and also missing the cutest little heatshield), but was full of new voxelisation problems that broke FAR (in addition to probs from version 1.9.2 carrying over; duplicate part names etc..)
  • version 1.9.4 was released with fixes, but isn't actually available anywhere! hehe at least I can't find it on github or curse (and maybe there were also versioning issues too)
  • version 1.9.5 is intended to be released by @NathanKell (as of 2 days ago) which will roll back the busted bits and make this mod playable until things are fixed up properly

I'm looking forward to this mod working again, it is one of my all time favourites :)

5 hours ago, Blasty McBlastblast said:

Generally speaking I *think* this is not quite working at the moment... In summary:

• version 1.9.3 was released, looked beautiful (sans spaceX legs unfortunately, and also missing the cutest little heatshield), but was full of new voxelisation problems that broke FAR (in addition to probs from version 1.9.2 carrying over; duplicate part names etc..)
  • version 1.9.4 was released with fixes, but isn't actually available anywhere! hehe at least I can't find it on github or curse (and maybe there were also versioning issues too)
  • version 1.9.5 is intended to be released by @NathanKell (as of 2 days ago) which will roll back the busted bits and make this mod playable until things are fixed up properly

I'm looking forward to this mod working again, it is one of my all time favourites :)

Wait, so is that why it constantly crashes for me in the VAB?

Just now, Blasty McBlastblast said:

@SmashingKirby148 hmm.. I don't know what causes your crashes. I've crashed into the VAB plenty of times (hehe) but have not yet had a VAB induced crash-to-desktop in this KSP version, even with Stock Part Revamp running. :)

Then why are you saying you're hoping to see it working? How is it not working for you if it doesn't crash?

@SmashingKirby148 Well.. I'm saying what I'm saying, that I "hope to see it working again". Some parts in the latest version are missing, or have duplicate part names and so won't appear in career mode, or generate weird aerodynamic effects. So for now I'm using version 1.9.2 (with some minor fixes) and it is working just fine, but I'm looking forward to being able to use the beautiful new parts without any hick-ups.

My first post was meant as a summary, as many people don't seem to really read too deeply back into a forum, or follow github issue threads, or look into the files they've installed as part of a mod (which is all fine btw), so I was just trying to help out. I apologise if I've triggered you in some way.

12 hours ago, Blasty McBlastblast said:

@SmashingKirby148 Well.. I'm saying what I'm saying, that I "hope to see it working again". Some parts in the latest version are missing, or have duplicate part names and so won't appear in career mode, or generate weird aerodynamic effects. So for now I'm using version 1.9.2 (with some minor fixes) and it is working just fine, but I'm looking forward to being able to use the beautiful new parts without any hick-ups.

My first post was meant as a summary, as many people don't seem to really read too deeply back into a forum, or follow github issue threads, or look into the files they've installed as part of a mod (which is all fine btw), so I was just trying to help out. I apologise if I've triggered you in some way.

Nah, nah, no need to apologise, I understand. I'm just the same as you, I just really want to use this mod again, and hope that the 1.9.4 new parts can be fixed, cause I've seen a few of 'em and they look gorgeous. I was able to see a few before the game started crashing. :P

And sorry for the late response. Timezones and all that. :P

I love the models with this mod, but don't like the fact that it actually changes things.  So once you start playing with it, you can't just uninstall.

I understand why he did it, but would have preferred if he had done two versions, one which merely contained the models ,and one which had his config changes as well

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

I love the models with this mod, but don't like the fact that it actually changes things.  So once you start playing with it, you can't just uninstall.

I understand why he did it, but would have preferred if he had done two versions, one which merely contained the models ,and one which had his config changes as well

Wait, really? You can't uninstall? Uh oh...

Well, It's not like I will be getting rid of it I guess. :P

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

If you uninstall, then everything reverts to the stock configs, which are different 

Wait, now I'm confused. :S So do without the mod, the parts are the same but with different configs, meaning different attachment nodes and things like that?

3 hours ago, Salvator said:

Another day, another problem. The LV-N tank butt fails to load on quickload. What can I do about it?

We had a small discussion about this problem, and the consensus seemed to be that it was due to the fact that the tankbutts, being a form of engine shroud, would be deleted on a scene change. This is because the game sees the engine as being active, and believes that an active engine should have no shroud. Thus, it deletes the shroud.

I don't think anyone's found a fix for it yet (and I don't know if it CAN be fixed). It's an irritating visual problem, but maybe something will happen that can fix it.

I know that the development of Ven's Stock Revamp has slowed greatly (possibly even stopped), but there is one idea I just had. Make those nice tankbutt parts simply parts. The same couple of models and textures can be reused at various scales, which is nice, and would stop this problem from existing. Players could add tankbutts as they please without having to fiddle with very close attachment nodes, and there could also be a little bit of fuel in some of them (in case you want that sort of thing). If anyone has any issues with this idea, feel free to bring them up.

5 hours ago, CommanderSmith said:

We had a small discussion about this problem, and the consensus seemed to be that it was due to the fact that the tankbutts, being a form of engine shroud, would be deleted on a scene change. This is because the game sees the engine as being active, and believes that an active engine should have no shroud. Thus, it deletes the shroud.

I don't think anyone's found a fix for it yet (and I don't know if it CAN be fixed). It's an irritating visual problem, but maybe something will happen that can fix it.

I know that the development of Ven's Stock Revamp has slowed greatly (possibly even stopped), but there is one idea I just had. Make those nice tankbutt parts simply parts. The same couple of models and textures can be reused at various scales, which is nice, and would stop this problem from existing. Players could add tankbutts as they please without having to fiddle with very close attachment nodes, and there could also be a little bit of fuel in some of them (in case you want that sort of thing). If anyone has any issues with this idea, feel free to bring them up.

Pity, but thanks for the answer. I'll just avoid using tank butts I think... Does this happen with other engines too? The Poodle for example was okay for me so far.

Hi Ven.

I have a question/sugestion

With the Cupola. i personally prefer without the shutters. Is there a way for me to make the mod forget about changing the cupola and leave it as default? (im thinking easy as in "find Cupola folder in VSR folder and delete it")

or as a sugestion, add an extra button (on the right click menu of the cupola) toggleing the shutters to be there or not.

other than that 'personal preference' , i really love what you did with everything /a-ok

It's easy enough to comment out (//) specific modded part configs so that the stock parts run, and as a bonus you can latter remove the comment markup and restore the modded bits for 20% more coolth! (coolth is a real word that lazy mining engineers made up when we got sick of saying negative-heat!)

You will find the cupola in GameData\VenStockRevamp\Squad\Parts\Command.cfg (it's the 3rd part down). Be sure to comment out every line from @PART to the final closing curly bracket :)

Spoiler

//@PART[cupola] {
//    @author = Ven
//    !mesh = DELETE
//    !MODEL {}
//    MODEL {
//        model = VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/Command/CommandPods/windowedpod
//    }
//    %rescaleFactor = 1
//       
//   MODULE {
//        name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
//        animationName = WindowedPodDoors
//        startEventGUIName = Open Hatches
//        endEventGUIName = Close Hatches
//        }
//        
//    MODULE {
//        name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
//        animationName = WindowedPodLights
//         startEventGUIName = Lights On
//        endEventGUIName = Lights Off
//        }
//}

What is the current status of this mod in 1.1.3? I saw a few pages back that 1.9.5 was supposed to be released a few days ago. Would it be best to use the 1.9.4 release or download the master branch, which appears to be more up to date?

Thanks

42 minutes ago, cheesykerb said:

What is the current status of this mod in 1.1.3? I saw a few pages back that 1.9.5 was supposed to be released a few days ago. Would it be best to use the 1.9.4 release or download the master branch, which appears to be more up to date?

Thanks

Try out the master branch download... I haven't tested it myself, yet, and I'm pretty curious how it fares (the most recent commit fixed engine issues, which were a big part of the reason why releases after 1.9.2 weren't working too well (as I understand from what I've read)). As far as I know, 1.9.2 might be the safest bet at the moment... heck, that's the version that NathanKell has CKAN install when installing Realism Overhaul. 

By all means, we would all appreciate feedback if you do try out the master branch, so if you do end up installing that version, drop us all a line and let us know how it's working for you!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.