[1.2.2] Stock Part Revamp, Update 1.9.6. Released Source Files!

Ven

Here's another patch for Ven's Revamp.  This switches the engines using multiple nodes, e.g., the poodle, the terrier, from ModuleJettison to the new module introduced in 1.2, ModuleStructrualNode.  The advantage of ModuleStructuralNode is that the shroud shouldn't disappear when you reload the craft the way the current shrouds do.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24301800/Vens_Engine_Fixes.cfg

Who needs PATCHES when you can have REPLACES!

1. Delete the 'Part Bin' and 'Path Patches' folders from VensStockRevamp
  2. Replace the configs in 'Squad' with these updated ones (thanks to @Tarheel1999 for the structural nodes)
  3. Load up the game
  4. IT WORKS!

WARNING: THIS REMOVES ALL OF THE NEW VEN'S PARTS

INSTALL WITH CARE

It fixes:

The solar panels facing the wrong way!

The antennae!

The parts that didn't work!

The science!

The lights on command pods!

Download yours today!

Edited by Osmium

3 minutes ago, cy4n said:

Who needs PATCHES when you can have REPLACES!

1. Delete the 'Part Bin' and 'Path Patches' folders from VensStockRevamp
  2. Replace the configs in 'Squad' with these updated ones (thanks to @Tarheel1999 for the structural nodes)
  3. Load up the game
  4. IT WORKS!

It fixes:

The solar panels facing the wrong way!

The antennae!

The parts that didn't work!

The science!

The lights on command pods!

Download yours today!

You might want to mention that this removes all of the new parts added by Ven. Anyone using this in an existing save will have vessels with those parts deleted from the save.

Hello everyone,

Would be possible to upload a pack of clean and compliant system with version 1.2 of KSP, that a rather complicated procedure of intallation?

But I want to thank all the same people who try to keep updating this mod which appears among the most essential to the community.

Sincerely !

18 hours ago, doudou said:

Hello everyone,

Would be possible to upload a pack of clean and compliant system with version 1.2 of KSP, that a rather complicated procedure of intallation?

But I want to thank all the same people who try to keep updating this mod which appears among the most essential to the community.

Sincerely !

The CC-BY 4.0 International license Ven used does allow it.  It certainly would be appreciated. 

I'm willing to try to piece it together myself, but it may be a few days until I can get around to it.

Edited by RoboRay

A wise idea would be to separate this mod into two.

1. Stylish retexture/remodel of stock parts, preserving their original size and functionality. (What we all actually love in this mod).
  2. Anything else that changes/breaks stock parts size or functionality - like nerfed solar panels or ugly non-compact replacement for cute little Communotron 88-88. (What most of us actually hate in this mod).

Separating fleas from dogs will be a very, very good decision.

P.S. Or at least make those gamebreaking parts additional rather then forced stock part replacements.

Edited by Dr. Jet

54 minutes ago, Dr. Jet said:

A wise idea would be to separate this mod into two.

1. Stylish retexture/remodel of stock parts, preserving their original size and functionality. (What we all actually love in this mod).
  2. Anything else that changes/breaks stock parts size or functionality - like nerfed solar panels or ugly non-compact replacement for cute little Communotron 88-88. (What most of us actually hate in this mod).

Separating fleas from dogs will be a very, very good decision.

P.S. Or at least make those gamebreaking parts additional rather then forced stock part replacements.

Actually, I happen to like all of this mod. So why don't you make your opinion your opinion instead of trying to make it everyone else's. 

If there are parts you don't like why don't you just remove them? It's a trivial thing to edit the config files. 

1 hour ago, TheSaint said:

Actually, I happen to like all of this mod. So why don't you make your opinion your opinion instead of trying to make it everyone else's. 

If there are parts you don't like why don't you just remove them? It's a trivial thing to edit the config files. 

It's not only my opinion. Moreso, it's not even my idea. So don't speak for everyone. You are just one of the few, who prefer BREAKING changes to stock parts, while other people prefer the non-breaking.

It actually is the reason to split mod. Who love EVERY kind of change - will install both parts, who love non-breaking changes - will install only one. Freedom of choice without digging in other man's configs.

I was actually looking into trying to help update config, as I love this mod, and almost can't play without it. I had done some config editing in my 1.1.3 game to make the VSPR mk 1-2 an additional pod, allowing the SDHI-compatible one to be used as well. Then the game updated.

14 hours ago, Dr. Jet said:

It's not only my opinion. Moreso, it's not even my idea. So don't speak for everyone. You are just one of the few, who prefer BREAKING changes to stock parts, while other people prefer the non-breaking.

It actually is the reason to split mod. Who love EVERY kind of change - will install both parts, who love non-breaking changes - will install only one. Freedom of choice without digging in other man's configs.

I only ever play with ven's so I don't have craft breaking problems. Better looking and functioning parts > stock parts for me.

3 hours ago, Antonio432 said:

I only ever play with ven's so I don't have craft breaking problems. Better looking and functioning parts > stock parts for me.

As I said above - solar panels and Communotron 88-88. They are different. If they were an added parts - there will be no objection - having more choices is always good. But stripping out 2x3 solar panels for ugly half-functional 1x3? Stripping out nice and compact antenna for non-compact? No. There should be an option for NOT installing those along with all other GOOD changes.

2 hours ago, Dr. Jet said:

As I said above - solar panels and Communotron 88-88. They are different. If they were an added parts - there will be no objection - having more choices is always good. But stripping out 2x3 solar panels for ugly half-functional 1x3? Stripping out nice and compact antenna for non-compact? No. There should be an option for NOT installing those along with all other GOOD changes.

That's just your personal opinion, not objective criticism. The parts that VSR provides are really good at filling some empty niches of the stock game, apart from the beatiful retexturing of the current stock parts. And remember, even if there aren't any active development of the mod as of yet, it's free for everyone to use, so don't be too picky.

2 hours ago, Krux said:

The parts that VSR provides are really good at filling some empty niches of the stock game.

They surely are. But they shouldn't do it in expence of emptying already filled niches. They are OK as ADDITIONAL parts, NOT as REPLACEMENT parts. What is the point of losing something nice to get something less nice when you can reap a benefit from having BOTH? 

6 hours ago, Dr. Jet said:

FYI, the 1x3 solar panels have been moved out into being their own parts (and the 2x3 panels are left in).  This change was made pretty recently, May 2016 (1.9.4).

13 minutes ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

FYI, the 1x3 solar panels have been moved out into being their own parts (and the 2x3 panels are left in).  This change was made pretty recently, May 2016 (1.9.4).

And Communotron 88-88? 

Still overwrites the stock part.  (I also like the collapsed shape of the stock 88-88 better, so I'm okay with pushing Ven's model out into the "new parts" pile.)

What do folks think about the DTS-M1?  Is the replacement model too different from the original, or do we like round dishes better than square ones?  (My RF-engineer hat balks at sharp corners.)

And the relay antennas?  The three large fixed antennas (DTS-M5, DTS-M7, and 88-X) are about the same size (~1.2x) as the RA-2, -15, and -100, and arguably look better (certainly more detailed, with tiled/segmented dishes and such), should they be made into reskins?  (The Communotron-32 looks different enough from the HG-5, and the HG-5 looks detailed/"Vensalike" enough, that I'm okay with leaving it in and keeping them separate -- I'd rename the -32 to the HG-20 and make it a "bigger brother" with 4x the power since it has 4x the dish area.)

Edit: Just got my test setup with the three fixed antennas reskinning the relays (and the Comm-32 renamed to the HG-20, keeping the DTS-M1 reskinned, and separating the "88-88-V" from the 88-88), and the Viewmatic Survey Satellite looks gorgeous:

RTLgZMw.png

(And the before in the spoiler:)

Spoiler

D1RaFZ2.png

Some caveats: the changes to ModuleDeployableSolarPanel meant that I had to retract and redeploy the panels to get them pointing the right direction, and Ven's 88-X model is meant to attach to a size 2 stack while the RA-100 can mount "smoothly" to a size 1 stack, so some vessels' visual lines may be slightly adversely affected, but I like Ven's dish much better so I'll deal.  I'm not quite ready to make a PR with my changes, but I'm close.

Edited by Kerbas_ad_astra

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.