[1.2.2] Stock Part Revamp, Update 1.9.6. Released Source Files!

Ven

30 minutes ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

@Stratickus, thanks for the data.  I don't plan on changing up the qualities of the parachute, but it's good to know what's going on.

No worries. Just to clarify, I was mainly referring to the Mk1 Command pod drag. I didn't do much in the way of testing other than casual observations with the parachutes. The parachute qualities are different from stock, however. I am fairly certain that is deliberate. I can only assume Ven did that for his own balance reasons and the inclusion of his Mk26 drogue chute.

32 minutes ago, void_error said:

I know that, I was thinking more along the lines of having more antennas to play with, not just multiply the range of existing antennas to reach all further out.

That's definitely beyond the scope of what I'm doing here (bringing VSR up-to-date for KSP 1.2).

More broadly, it's not of interest to me.  The antenna classes that presently exist have clear orders of magnitude of difference between them, so there's little ambiguity over which one is necessary for a mission, and each new tier clearly opens up new frontiers.  (I don't think of myself as "playing with" antennas; they're a tool to enable the parts of the game that I enjoy, namely operating space missions, while providing some additional challenge which is also interesting in small doses.)  Adding intermediate- or moderately-extended-range antennas forces me to think more about which antenna I would need to use, and doesn't add much new capability to the space program -- if there were bodies in OPM that were another order of magnitude further away than Plock, like a Sedna analogue, then maybe I'd add a new super-antenna class (some kind of lasercom setup with a rating measured in petameters), but adding additional antennas in between or less than a factor of 10 beyond stock tiers doesn't let me do much new.  It would make about as much sense to me as creating a set of 2.6m rocket parts.

tl;dr: No. :cool:

1 hour ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

Adding intermediate- or moderately-extended-range antennas forces me to think more about which antenna I would need to use, and doesn't add much new capability to the space program -- if there were bodies in OPM that were another order of magnitude further away than Plock, like a Sedna analogue, then maybe I'd add a new super-antenna class (some kind of lasercom setup with a rating measured in petameters), but adding additional antennas in between or less than a factor of 10 beyond stock tiers doesn't let me do much new.  It would make about as much sense to me as creating a set of 2.6m rocket parts.

That's not what I meant but never mind...

On 21.10.2016. at 5:19 PM, Dr. Jet said:

As I said above - solar panels and Communotron 88-88. They are different. If they were an added parts - there will be no objection - having more choices is always good. But stripping out 2x3 solar panels for ugly half-functional 1x3? Stripping out nice and compact antenna for non-compact? No. There should be an option for NOT installing those along with all other GOOD changes.

the Communotron 88 is still foldable, it may be bigger but it never presented me with size problems. It has changed solar panels though but I don't mind. If you don't like the parts, just remove them, this mod isn't purely "remaster the parts to be 1:1 clones". It also has a second line of more powerfull but similar solar panels after the 1x3 ones. 

On 8/13/2016 at 6:39 PM, hjrrockies said:

So, here's what I have for a patch, but it still doesn't work. Any advice?

On 7/26/2015 at 3:50 AM, sashan said:

I've made some TweakScale configs [for] revamp.

I think more of them should be made.

Hey, all, if you're having trouble getting Tweakscale to work on the revamp, hjrrockies put up a fantastic set of code, which I used sashan's work to fix, that you can put into a Tweakscale config in the Tweakscale/patches folder (or, if you just want the file itself, here it is: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2RU6X5cw9o2ZmhKOHRkMmhWdzg, though it won't be here forever). It works on most parts I've needed it for! So, please go give a like to sahsan and hjrrockies for their work, and a big thank you to everyone else for getting the revamp pretty much completely compatible with 1.2!

Stay salty!
 - [The]KLARKEN

There seems to be an issue with the drag of the 900 and 909. Maybe more parts as well but as you can see in my pictures definitely these engines need tweaking.

You can see that the 900 and 909 are causing about x7 the drag that a LV-T30 does, which makes no sense

Edit: below first 2 images

blofibD.jpg

DsSujkH.png

Edit: Did some more testing. It seems like it may just be a general issue with all of the engines to some degree.

The first image below show that there is way to much drag on the LV-T30 compared to the nose cone. The second on is stock.

fjNPjPt.jpg

IRxblYj.jpg

Edited by mreadshaw

One more thing, I believe that the RCS blocks aren't properly configured. They do work, but they do not visually show the jets coming out of the thrusters and have no sound. I will attempt to edit the config file to find out if the problem can be remedied by using the same parameters as the stock RCS blocks... :)

5 hours ago, COL.R.Neville said:

which landing legs are you saying arent working? 

@Ven provided also a revamp of the stock landing legs (LT-1, LT-2 and LT-05) But since they were exploding on ground contact (and gave Ven a headache) @NathanKell removed them from the current version. 

Since Squad now improved the landing leg situation a lot, I thought I would give it a try and bring back the landing legs... But so far I was only able to implement the deployment of the legs with the ModuleAnimateGeneric - but then there is no suspension at all.

if you use debug stuff you might be able to find the animation/transformation names for the what is it wheel deployment module. 

if you need help let me know. i dont know alot either just try to look at it and figure it out. 

But yeah we need as many people as possible that know how to update create landing gear. 

Im trying to learn all of it myself. 

Edited by COL.R.Neville

Thanks for the link... Unfortunately I already installed that and it didn't help. I was hoping someone else was more succesful than me and found a way to update "old" legs. (At this point I realise once more how much work such a mod can genereate - @Ven if you read this: You are awesome!)

Next step will be to have a look at the newer model of the legs... but that probaly has to wait till the weekend.

How do I go about adding a stock part back in with this mod? I quite like the original Delta Deluxe winglet and would like to use it again. But I also like Ven's version, so I'd like to keep that around as well.

I apologise if something like this has been asked already, I looked through a good deal of the thread and didn't see anything relating to it.

Spoiler

PART
{
    name = winglet3ORIG
    module = Part
    author = NovaSilisko
    mesh = model.mu
    scale = 1
    rescaleFactor = 1
    TechRequired = flightControl
    entryCost = 4600
    cost = 600
    category = Aero
    subcategory = 0
    title = Original Delta-Deluxe Winglet
    manufacturer = Kerlington Model Rockets and Paper Products Inc
    description = The Delta-Deluxe Winglet is a large aerodynamic surface with a small built-in aileron. It is very lightweight and offers more lift than the AV-R8 but the small control surface area means it is not as quick to turn.
    attachRules = 0,1,0,0,1
    node_attach = 0.4780781, 0.1322544, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0
    CoMOffset = -0.08, -0.3, 0
    CoLOffset = -0.08, -0.3, 0
    CoPOffset = -0.08, -0.3, 0
    mass = 0.078
    thermalMassModifier = 8.0
    // heatConductivity = 0.06 // half default
    emissiveConstant = 0.95
    dragModelType = none
    maximum_drag = 0.02
    minimum_drag = 0.02
    angularDrag = 5
    crashTolerance = 12
    maxTemp = 2400
    explosionPotential = 0.1
    bulkheadProfiles = srf
    tags = aero aircraft canard control (elev fin (fore lift plane rocket )rudder stab swept tail
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleControlSurface
        useInternalDragModel = True
        dragCoeff = 0.6
        deflectionLiftCoeff = 0.65
        ctrlSurfaceRange = 25
        ctrlSurfaceArea = 0.2
        actuatorSpeed = 25
    }
}

this creates a winglet3ORIG so just save it in your \GameData\Squad\Parts\Aero\wingletDeltaDeluxe folder as DDorig.cfg

or what i do is create a folder in gamedata zzzMyModParts and put all the new cfg's i create in there so i dont lose or forget what changes ive made. naming it with the zzz makes sure it gets processed last.

and on the legs Im not seeing where there are any landing gear in VSR. anybody point me in the right direction?

what ive been using to update old legs is using the lt5 from stock and look at how the model is labeled using debugstuff and compare it to whatever old legs. For the most part ive run into where the necessary things are either not present or not labeled correctly in the old leg models so you have to go back and redo the model filling in the blanks needed for the suspension and sound.  

Edited by COL.R.Neville

12 hours ago, COL.R.Neville said:
  Hide contents

PART
{
    name = winglet3ORIG
    module = Part
    author = NovaSilisko
    mesh = model.mu
    scale = 1
    rescaleFactor = 1
    TechRequired = flightControl
    entryCost = 4600
    cost = 600
    category = Aero
    subcategory = 0
    title = Original Delta-Deluxe Winglet
    manufacturer = Kerlington Model Rockets and Paper Products Inc
    description = The Delta-Deluxe Winglet is a large aerodynamic surface with a small built-in aileron. It is very lightweight and offers more lift than the AV-R8 but the small control surface area means it is not as quick to turn.
    attachRules = 0,1,0,0,1
    node_attach = 0.4780781, 0.1322544, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0
    CoMOffset = -0.08, -0.3, 0
    CoLOffset = -0.08, -0.3, 0
    CoPOffset = -0.08, -0.3, 0
    mass = 0.078
    thermalMassModifier = 8.0
    // heatConductivity = 0.06 // half default
    emissiveConstant = 0.95
    dragModelType = none
    maximum_drag = 0.02
    minimum_drag = 0.02
    angularDrag = 5
    crashTolerance = 12
    maxTemp = 2400
    explosionPotential = 0.1
    bulkheadProfiles = srf
    tags = aero aircraft canard control (elev fin (fore lift plane rocket )rudder stab swept tail
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleControlSurface
        useInternalDragModel = True
        dragCoeff = 0.6
        deflectionLiftCoeff = 0.65
        ctrlSurfaceRange = 25
        ctrlSurfaceArea = 0.2
        actuatorSpeed = 25
    }
}

this creates a winglet3ORIG so just save it in your \GameData\Squad\Parts\Aero\wingletDeltaDeluxe folder as DDorig.cfg

or what i do is create a folder in gamedata zzzMyModParts and put all the new cfg's i create in there so i dont lose or forget what changes ive made. naming it with the zzz makes sure it gets processed last.

That worked! Thanks so much.

On 1.11.2016 at 6:16 PM, divinity_chimera said:

Thanks for the link... Unfortunately I already installed that and it didn't help. I was hoping someone else was more succesful than me and found a way to update "old" legs. (At this point I realise once more how much work such a mod can genereate - @Ven if you read this: You are awesome!)

Next step will be to have a look at the newer model of the legs... but that probaly has to wait till the weekend.

Landing legs can be quite a pain - let me know if I can help setting them up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.