[1.2.2] Stock Part Revamp, Update 1.9.6. Released Source Files!

Ven

Ven! How do you feel about Making History DLC? For me its looks like they if not used, at least "got inspired" by your work where it comes to new parts design. You worked with them? Or the "borrowed" you style and trying to sell it to us?

Hey all! Just a question...it looks like a lot of work has been going on Github to update VSR...I'm not trying to rush anyone, but wondering if there were plans in the works to release an update at some point?

Edited by Tyko

I'm not sure if this is the proper thread or not, I'm using the 1.3.1 version of this mod available on CKAN, as far as I can tell it's still being managed by you, it says "venven" as the poster. I'm having a minor issue with ladders, the ones that are non retractable have an issue where my Kerbals will slide down them when they grab on. It happens in orbit when I EVA, or on the launch pad. The retractable ladders work fine luckily and I can EVA and hold on to them and won't slide. Not sure what's going on with the other ones, but I found it to happen with all of them. Shame too because they look really good on the side of a lander.

Where is the X200-48 fuel tank?

I can't find it in the same place as all the other X200 tanks = VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/FuelTanks.cfg. it's also not in the pathpatches list..

10 minutes ago, Tyko said:

Where is the X200-48 fuel tank?

I can't find it in the same place as all the other X200 tanks = VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/FuelTanks.cfg. it's also not in the pathpatches list..

lordcirth@nezha:/SSD_data/Kerbal/KSP-131-kerbalismC-4x/GameData$ grep -r X200-48                      
VenStockRevamp/Part Bin/Extra_Tanks.cfg:        model = VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/Propulsion/X200-48 
VenStockRevamp/Part Bin/Extra_Tanks.cfg:    @title = Rockomax X200-48 Fuel Tank                       

On 3/12/2018 at 10:01 PM, mostlydave said:

With the stock texture switching in 1.4.1 will we be able to pick textures for parts?

i would LOVE this. being able to switch from stock, to vens. heck, maybe he can add stock engines with no plates like you can with the dlc ones, and vens ones with no engine plates.... would be AMAZING @Ven wink wink nudge nudge(just suggestions :P)

4 hours ago, ThePhoenixSol said:

i would LOVE this. being able to switch from stock, to vens. heck, maybe he can add stock engines with no plates like you can with the dlc ones, and vens ones with no engine plates.... would be AMAZING @Ven wink wink nudge nudge(just suggestions :P)

Unfortunately, not. Ven has made better models and his textures are for the new models. The stock texture/model switcher does not actually allow you to switch models, only to enable or disable parts of the existing ones.

So anyone figure out why the new wheels don't work under 1.4.1 ? Stock wheels under the Squad parts wheels are exactly the same? Ven's new models work great under 1.3.1. But not under stock 1.4.1 or with DlC? I swapped the Squad wheels with 1.4.1 and 1.3.1 just to make sure their was not something I missed? they work the same under both versions. Have been pulling my hair out trying to figure this out ?  If something changed again with the wheels in the new unity why do the stock ones work with no change?  Thank's in advance if anyone knows what's up.

On 3/25/2018 at 4:31 AM, Delbrutis said:

So anyone figure out why the new wheels don't work under 1.4.1 ? Stock wheels under the Squad parts wheels are exactly the same? Ven's new models work great under 1.3.1. But not under stock 1.4.1 or with DlC? I swapped the Squad wheels with 1.4.1 and 1.3.1 just to make sure their was not something I missed? they work the same under both versions. Have been pulling my hair out trying to figure this out ?  If something changed again with the wheels in the new unity why do the stock ones work with no change?  Thank's in advance if anyone knows what's up.

To be more precise about the problem, Ven's wheels look fine in the editor, but when they load into the game, the 'wheel' end rotates ninety degrees, so that the steering axis becomes a camber axis.  (The XL3 wheels are not affected, presumably because they don't have a steering axis.)

I think this might somehow be related to the orientation of SteeringPivot.  It may be as simple as rotating the SteeringPivot transform to have the green axis up (per the cheat sheet, wheels "should" steer with their y-axis, which Ven's wheels do not).  There may be more to it than that, as when I dug into the 'guts' of the parts with DebugStuff, the stock M1 wheel doesn't have the same orientation as the others but works just fine, but I think that's a good place for @EmbersArc to start tinkering.

8 hours ago, Herzogvision said:

This is so close to working in 1.4.1 it hurts. Seems that the solar panels don't work though. Unless it's some other mod causing my problem.

Which panel(s)?  I just tried a few and had no trouble.

8 hours ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

To be more precise about the problem, Ven's wheels look fine in the editor, but when they load into the game, the 'wheel' end rotates ninety degrees, so that the steering axis becomes a camber axis.  (The XL3 wheels are not affected, presumably because they don't have a steering axis.)

I think this might somehow be related to the orientation of SteeringPivot.  It may be as simple as rotating the SteeringPivot transform to have the green axis up (per the cheat sheet, wheels "should" steer with their y-axis, which Ven's wheels do not).  There may be more to it than that, as when I dug into the 'guts' of the parts with DebugStuff, the stock M1 wheel doesn't have the same orientation as the others but works just fine, but I think that's a good place for @EmbersArc to start tinkering.

Which panel(s)?  I just tried a few and had no trouble.

It turns out not to be Ven's doing it, it was Kopernicus.

On 3/11/2018 at 8:18 AM, Battou said:

Ven! How do you feel about Making History DLC? For me its looks like they if not used, at least "got inspired" by your work where it comes to new parts design. You worked with them? Or the "borrowed" you style and trying to sell it to us?

I'm not into historical things, but this was my first thought. "Vens already did this, and better".

On 3/24/2018 at 8:21 PM, Electrocutor said:

Unfortunately, not. Ven has made better models and his textures are for the new models. The stock texture/model switcher does not actually allow you to switch models, only to enable or disable parts of the existing ones.

as far as i have seen messing with it myself.. it allows you to change models. lest im misunderstanding it.

On 3/24/2018 at 5:21 PM, Electrocutor said:

41 minutes ago, ThePhoenixSol said:

as far as i have seen messing with it myself.. it allows you to change models. lest im misunderstanding it.

If you can switch transforms, you can switch models (since models just end up as transforms in the hierarchy).  You my have to use Sarbian's DebugStuff plugin to figure out what the right transform names are, but it's definitely doable.

6 hours ago, blowfish said:

If you can switch transforms, you can switch models (since models just end up as transforms in the hierarchy).  You my have to use Sarbian's DebugStuff plugin to figure out what the right transform names are, but it's definitely doable.

If you can find a way, please let me know. The only thing the transform does for me is show or hide a sub-mesh within the stock model.

2 hours ago, Electrocutor said:

If you can find a way, please let me know. The only thing the transform does for me is show or hide a sub-mesh within the stock model.

Like I said, the models just get shoved into the hierarchy.  Look at what the objects are named with DebugStuff and you'll be able to figure it out.  Worst case, you can always use the transform that holds the entire model, it will have a weird name like Path/To/Model (Clone) but that still works

16 minutes ago, blowfish said:

Like I said, the models just get shoved into the hierarchy.  Look at what the objects are named with DebugStuff and you'll be able to figure it out.  Worst case, you can always use the transform that holds the entire model, it will have a weird name like Path/To/Model (Clone) but that still works

You've done this successfully? In my own testing, using something like mod/assets/model never worked. For example, if the part model is mod/assets/model and has two submeshes named shell and hatch; then the show/hide names would "shell" and "hatch", entering "mod2/assets/model" to try to make it switch to a different model did nothing at all.

1 minute ago, Electrocutor said:

You've done this successfully? In my own testing, using something like mod/assets/model never worked. For example, if the part model is mod/assets/model and has two submeshes named shell and hatch; then the show/hide names would "shell" and "hatch", entering "mod2/assets/model" to try to make it switch to a different model did nothing at all.

Right, because it ends up with the name "mod2/assets/model (Clone)" in the hierarchy.  The name has to be exact.

Please download DebugStuff, you'll see what I mean pretty quickly.

9 hours ago, blowfish said:

Right, because it ends up with the name "mod2/assets/model (Clone)" in the hierarchy.  The name has to be exact.

Please download DebugStuff, you'll see what I mean pretty quickly.

Hey, I've been messing with trying to integrate parts of VSR with stock variant switch. A problem I was experiencing is that white space characters are not registered in the config, which is why hiding some submeshes won't work without modifying the model's hierarchy. I just tried hiding the parent (In this case DebugStuff called it RCSTankR1(Clone)), but the parenthesis were ignored by whatever is parsing the config files, as the Module Manager cache only shows what I wrote before the first bracket.

I'll admit I'm no expert in this, so is there something that I'm doing wrong?

17 hours ago, notquitehalf said:

Hey, I've been messing with trying to integrate parts of VSR with stock variant switch. A problem I was experiencing is that white space characters are not registered in the config, which is why hiding some submeshes won't work without modifying the model's hierarchy. I just tried hiding the parent (In this case DebugStuff called it RCSTankR1(Clone)), but the parenthesis were ignored by whatever is parsing the config files, as the Module Manager cache only shows what I wrote before the first bracket.

I'll admit I'm no expert in this, so is there something that I'm doing wrong?

KSP definitely ignores anything after parentheses or spaces in a node name, but in a value name it should work, I think.  Does your config look something like this:

Spoiler

VARIANT
{
    name = Model1
    // ...
    GAMEOBJECTS
    {
        Path/To/Model1(Clone) = true
        Path/To/Model2(Clone) = false
    }
}
VARIANT
{
    name = Model2
    // ...
    GAMEOBJECTS
    {
        Path/To/Model1(Clone) = false
        Path/To/Model2(Clone) = true
    }
}

E: I'm pretty sure this is a ModuleManager issue (it ignores stuff after the parenthases).  I think it will be a quick fix.

Edited by blowfish

13 hours ago, blowfish said:

KSP definitely ignores anything after parentheses or spaces in a node name, but in a value name it should work, I think.  Does your config look something like this:

Reveal hidden contents

VARIANT
{
    name = Model1
    // ...
    GAMEOBJECTS
    {
        Path/To/Model1(Clone) = true
        Path/To/Model2(Clone) = false
    }
}
VARIANT
{
    name = Model2
    // ...
    GAMEOBJECTS
    {
        Path/To/Model1(Clone) = false
        Path/To/Model2(Clone) = true
    }
}

I've been working on a setup like this for the Rockomax fuel tanks, and I've run into the same issue -- even if I call out the full 'VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/Propulsion/X200-64(Clone) = [true/false]' in each GAMEOBJECTS block, ModuleManager's cache only reads 'VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/Propulsion/X200-64 = [true/false]'.  As a result, Ven's model never goes away.

1 hour ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

I've been working on a setup like this for the Rockomax fuel tanks, and I've run into the same issue -- even if I call out the full 'VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/Propulsion/X200-64(Clone) = [true/false]' in each GAMEOBJECTS block, ModuleManager's cache only reads 'VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/Propulsion/X200-64 = [true/false]'.  As a result, Ven's model never goes away.

Check my edit - it's a MM bug.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.