[1.2.2] Stock Part Revamp, Update 1.9.6. Released Source Files!

Ven

@Electrocutor

Sure mate!

PART
{
	name = RCSTank1-2 //Will need to change this, or delete the original
	module = Part
	author = NovaSilisko //+Ven!
	node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.5, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
	node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.5, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2
	TechRequired = advFuelSystems
	entryCost = 7600
	cost = 1800
	category = FuelTank
	subcategory = 0
	title = FL-R1 RCS Fuel Tank TEST
	manufacturer = Jebediah Kerman's Junkyard and Spacecraft Parts Co
	description = The next tier up from the 1.25m variant, this tank has six large RCS tanks capable of supplying your RCS needs for a very long time.
	attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0
	mass = 0.4
	dragModelType = default
	maximum_drag = 0.2
	minimum_drag = 0.2
	angularDrag = 2
	crashTolerance = 12
	maxTemp = 2000
	bulkheadProfiles = size2
	tags = fueltank mono monopropellant propellant
	rescaleFactor = 1
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = MonoPropellant
		amount = 750
		maxAmount = 750
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModulePartVariants
		baseVariant = VSR
		VARIANT
		{
			name = GrayAndWhite
			displayName = Gray and White
			themeName = GrayAndWhite
			primaryColor = #ffffff
			secondaryColor = #adadad
			TEXTURE
			{
				mainTextureURL = Squad/Parts/FuelTank/RCSFuelTankR1/RCSFuelTankR1_01
				_BumpMap = Squad/Parts/FuelTank/RCSFuelTankR1/RCSFuelTankR1_N
			}
			GAMEOBJECTS
			{
				VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/Propulsion/RCSTankR1(Clone) = false
				Squad/Parts/FuelTank/RCSFuelTankR1/RCSFuelTankR1_01(Clone) = true
			}
		}
		VARIANT
		{
			name = YellowAndWhite
			displayName = Yellow and White
			themeName = YellowAndWhite
			primaryColor = #ffdd00
			secondaryColor = #ffffff
			TEXTURE
			{
				mainTextureURL = Squad/Parts/FuelTank/RCSFuelTankR1/RCSFuelTankR1_02
				_BumpMap = Squad/Parts/FuelTank/RCSFuelTankR1/RCSFuelTankR1_N
			}
			GAMEOBJECTS
			{
				VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/Propulsion/RCSTankR1(Clone) = false
				Squad/Parts/FuelTank/RCSFuelTankR1/RCSFuelTankR1_01(Clone) = true
			}
		}
		VARIANT
		{
			name = VSR
			displayName = Ven Stock Revamp
			primaryColor = #ffffff //Colours need to be changed, or...
			secondaryColor = #adadad
			themeName = VenStockRevamp //...set them in a theme?
			GAMEOBJECTS
			{
				VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/Propulsion/RCSTankR1(Clone) = true
				Squad/Parts/FuelTank/RCSFuelTankR1/RCSFuelTankR1_01(Clone) = false
			}
			TEXTURE
			{
				mainTextureURL = VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/Propulsion/RCSTanks_CLR
				_BumpMap = VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/Propulsion/RCSTanks_NRM
			}
		}
	}
	MODEL
	{
		model = VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/Propulsion/RCSTankR1
		scale = 1.02,1.06,1.02
	}
	MODEL
	{
		model = Squad/Parts/FuelTank/RCSFuelTankR1/RCSFuelTankR1_01
		scale = 1.0,1.0,1.0
	}
}

So yeah, note that this can't be used as a patch though MM

Just now, Electrocutor said:

I see. You couldn't get it to load a model either, so you instead added all possible models by MODEL {} directly to it and then hid all but one of them.

Was wondering about that. I haven't tested it, but perhaps the models don't need to be defined in the MODEL nodes then? I feel that this shouldn't be the case. I think that the models that you want to have as variants all have to be defined in MODEL nodes. Will need to do some testing I think

7 hours ago, blowfish said:

@Electrocutor the reason it woks for @notquitehalf and not for you is because @notquitehalf's is not in a MM patch, so the parenthases and what's in them are preserved.

No, that is secondary, I had already tried without using an MM patch. The reason it works for him is because he has added all the possible variants models as direct MODEL{} into the part, thus all variants and textures are loaded all the time, he simply hides the ones that aren't active. This works exactly as I said it did: it only affects the model that is on the part to begin with: his approach just makes it so that everything is in the part to begin with already.

I'm not a fan of this approach due to resource usage, but it seems to be the only way to make the stock PartModule work to "change" models. I will probably just code my own extension to this module so that the model can actually truly change. If you consider the scenario of lots of mods and every part having 5+ variants, you would very quickly slow your game to a crawl for larger vessels.

Edited by Electrocutor

2 hours ago, Electrocutor said:

No, that is secondary, I had already tried without using an MM patch. The reason it works for him is because he has added all the possible variants models as direct MODEL{} into the part, thus all variants and textures are loaded all the time, he simply hides the ones that aren't active. This works exactly as I said it did: it only affects the model that is on the part to begin with: his approach just makes it so that everything is in the part to begin with already.

I'm not a fan of this approach due to resource usage, but it seems to be the only way to make the stock PartModule work to "change" models. I will probably just code my own extension to this module so that the model can actually truly change. If you consider the scenario of lots of mods and every part having 5+ variants, you would very quickly slow your game to a crawl for larger vessels.

44 minutes ago, blowfish said:

I don’t think the overhead is as much as you think it is.  KSP loads all the models anyway, so they’re in memory regardless.  And the inactive ones are not rendered or otherwise interacted with.

Yeah KSP loads everything into ram at startup, not on demand. That's why most people have such long loading times...

45 minutes ago, blowfish said:

I don’t think the overhead is as much as you think it is.  KSP loads all the models anyway, so they’re in memory regardless.  And the inactive ones are not rendered or otherwise interacted with.

The reason it is called (Clone) is because each time MODEL{} creates a new copy of the model instead of merely referencing the one that is already in memory. That said, you're correct about the not rendering, I am more concerned about having so many copies of models and materials in memory, but perhaps this is a non-issue comparing to all the other inefficient things Unity does. I'm working on other things for the time being, but when I get a chance I'll run a stress test to get some actual numbers.

4 minutes ago, Electrocutor said:

The reason it is called (Clone) is because each time MODEL{} creates a new copy of the model instead of merely referencing the one that is already in memory. That said, you're correct about the not rendering, I am more concerned about having so many copies of models and materials in memory, but perhaps this is a non-issue comparing to all the other inefficient things Unity does. I'm working on other things for the time being, but when I get a chance I'll run a stress test to get some actual numbers.

Unity is pretty smart about not wasting resources.  If you create a copy of something and don't change it, it typically shares the resources.  So all the materials and meshes shouldn't actually take up any more RAM.

is there a way to use both stock and revamp stock parts? or stop it from replacing stock part and then use janitorscloset mod to distinguish. i know whole point of stock revamping is to replace the existing stock parts but i really want both and so far no luck

On 3/31/2018 at 11:50 PM, doudou said:

hello everyone, 
this mod works it correctly in 1.4.2 in the state?
 Or is it necessary to wait for a recompilation? thank you for your reply.
 See you soon !

there aren't any DLLs in VSR, it's all parts and MM configs, so it should work just fine. In my testing I haven't found any new issues related to 1.4.2 that weren't already present in previous installs

Just now, doudou said:

i tried to put the mod in the state but nothing is loaded in the left pane in the VAB.

I'm going to wait for a more official version hoping someone will do it! :P

Not sure what you mean by "in the state"...

You need two things...the latest 1.9.6 version of VSR and the latest version of Module Manager. Both of those should be in your GameData folder.

2 hours ago, Tyko said:

Vous ne savez pas ce que vous entendez par "dans l'état" ...

Vous avez besoin de deux choses ... la dernière version 1.9.6 de VSR et la dernière version de Module Manager. Les deux devraient être dans votre dossier GameData.

it works,

but there is an incompatibility with the MissingHistory mod.

No big beug but for example the engine LV-T45 has an extra carainage.

That's a incompatibility because both mods do the same thing with different models. Having both installed is going to screw up your 2.5M tanks also. MissingHistory replaces stock parts with Porkjet models. Ven's replaces the same parts with His models You need to pick one or the other. Not trying to sound offensive or anything everybody was New once. But you really need to read and understand what your mods do before just loading and using them. Good luck and have fun.  

Edited by Delbrutis

1 hour ago, Delbrutis said:

That's a incompatibility because both mods do the same thing with different models. Having both installed is going to screw up your 2.5M tanks also. MissingHistory replaces stock parts with Porkjet models. Ven's replaces the same parts with His models You need to pick one or the other. Not trying to sound offensive or anything everybody was New once. But you really need to read and understand what your mods do before just loading and using them. Good luck and have fun.  

No ... the new 2.5m tanks are in the stock game.

5 hours ago, blowfish said:

No ... the new 2.5m tanks are in the stock game.

You are correct Sir. My bad I always get my tank sizes mixed up I should have said 1.25 those are the tank's that both Ven's and Porkjet models replace. My bad. Oh and I sould have said that if you mix those mods you will probably end up with one or the other Mk1 pods as well Mk1 gets replaced by both mods.

On 27/03/2018 at 10:26 PM, EmbersArc said:

Le problème avec les roues était que les systèmes de coordonnées du pivot de suspension et du pivot de direction n'étaient pas alignés. Je l'ai réparé (espérons pour de bon) et ai créé une demande de traction.

Ha yes, and could you share it with us?  :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.