[1.2.2] Stock Part Revamp, Update 1.9.6. Released Source Files!

Ven

There is still the issue that the safety bubble's hatch is on the face that attaches to the spacecraft...be sure to put it on a decoupler, structural tube, or something else hollow.

Since I don't use 1.3.1 anymore, and I'm developing for KSP 1.4.x, all I can say is that it worked for me when I tested it just now.

11 hours ago, CommanderSmith said:

Oh, if it's the portraits disappearing, you should be fine. Hover your mouse cursor over the door, and something saying "crew hatch" or similar should pop up. Just click, and it will let you EVA your crew, without needing the portraits.

Of course, if that doesn't work, then I'm sure the fine people here can come up with some fix, probably involving defining an IVA for that part. :) 

this worked thank you

Hi, I've found that many of the smaller engines don't have visual thrust effects under 1.4.2 with VSR and MH installed. I took a look at the configs, but couldn't find where @Ven set up custom FX. It's not in the normal config. Anyway, I tried to find out why, but it eludes me.

Here are the engines that don't have thrust FX - sound works fine, it's only visual that's missing

• LV-1 Ant
  • LV-1F Fire Ant
  • LV-1R Spider
  • 24-77 Twitch
  • 48-7S Spark
  • M107A1 Aerobee MK2
  • M82A1 Aerobee MK1

The NT-5R Shiba has a visual effect, but it looks like it's missing the more subtle, larger vapor trail that's present in the other engines - including the other nukes.

You may already be aware of this, but if not I hope this helps.

Thanks

Edited by Tyko

16 hours ago, Tyko said:

Hi, I've found that many of the smaller engines don't have visual thrust effects under 1.4.2 with VSR and MH installed. I took a look at the configs, but couldn't find where @Ven set up custom FX. It's not in the normal config. Anyway, I tried to find out why, but it eludes me.

Here are the engines that don't have thrust FX - sound works fine, it's only visual that's missing

• LV-1 Ant
  • LV-1F Fire Ant
  • LV-1R Spider
  • 24-77 Twitch
  • 48-7S Spark
  • M107A1 Aerobee MK2
  • M82A1 Aerobee MK1

The NT-5R Shiba has a visual effect, but it looks like it's missing the more subtle, larger vapor trail that's present in the other engines - including the other nukes.

Thanks

I haven't touched the Shiba, but the other engine effects have been fixed.  Thanks for the heads-up.

18 hours ago, Tyko said:

• LV-1 Ant
  • LV-1F Fire Ant
  • LV-1R Spider
  • 24-77 Twitch
  • 48-7S Spark
  • M107A1 Aerobee MK2
  • M82A1 Aerobee MK1

Thanks

You can't find it because I never defined them, the new engines refer to certain Stock engines for data, then change them slightly to make a new part.

Squad probably added a spare transform for the visual effects that doesn't exist in the my models. That transform would need to be added or the parts need to have their Effects node specified to use the thrustTransform instead.

As for the Shiba, I couldn't get the smoke to work inside the EFFECT node, so I left the sleeping dog lie.

On 4/9/2018 at 8:51 AM, Delbrutis said:

dEvCZK5.png   Don't know why he dropped this model for the boat-tail version? I would Love! to see a version of this with working gimble and Emisives.  Thanks

This looks incredible! I would very much second the notion to have this model be included at least as an option in the upcoming update.

In the meantime I have bumbled my way into somehow successfully installing this by replacing squads model directly because I have no idea how to do it with a config.

I don't know if this has been reported before or not, or may be it's even intended.

I'm still in 1.3.1. The Mk1 command pod from VSR is somewhat off centre. Exactly what is off centre? I don't know. But the kerbal engineer reports a torque of 0.07 kNm with as simple as a (Mk1 pod, FLT100, any liquid engine) configuration. The torque isn't present with the stock command pod.

Is there any simple way of keeping all other parts from VSR and just remove this pod? Like 'move these bunch of files out of the game data of VSR and done'? The naming of the parts in Squad folder vs VSR/Squad folder seems very different and I can't figure out which files to play with. And if it's going to require changing some cfg files (for MM or something,) just tell me it's not possible. It isn't that big of an issue, I can wait till this is fixed in some future release.

4 hours ago, scimas said:

I don't know if this has been reported before or not, or may be it's even intended.

I'm still in 1.3.1. The Mk1 command pod from VSR is somewhat off centre. Exactly what is off centre? I don't know. But the kerbal engineer reports a torque of 0.07 kNm with as simple as a (Mk1 pod, FLT100, any liquid engine) configuration. The torque isn't present with the stock command pod.

Is there any simple way of keeping all other parts from VSR and just remove this pod? Like 'move these bunch of files out of the game data of VSR and done'? The naming of the parts in Squad folder vs VSR/Squad folder seems very different and I can't figure out which files to play with. And if it's going to require changing some cfg files (for MM or something,) just tell me it's not possible. It isn't that big of an issue, I can wait till this is fixed in some future release.

Pretty sure this is intended behaviour; several of the real NASA capsules had off-center CoM to give stability on re-entry.

1 minute ago, lordcirth said:

Pretty sure this is intended behaviour; several of the real NASA capsules had off-center CoM to give stability on re-entry.

It was to make them steerable in fact. One of the Apollo missions used it to land in a secondary splashdown zone when the weather in their primary was too heavy,

10 hours ago, scimas said:

You can fix it with a simple MM config. if you look at the COM line in the pod's .cfg file you'll see that the first three numbers, which should be zero, one of them is set slightly off zero. I don't have the right syntax in front of me, but if you need help I can post the config later today.

5 hours ago, scimas said:

Thanks guys!

@Tyko I found the line you are talking about. I will test it for myself, but will probably end up leaving it as is since it's intended and not a bug.

Consider this...it's working as designed for a specific task - to allow the capsule to be steered a bit during descent - if you (NASA) didn't care about steering, then you (NASA) wouldn't build the capsule that way. So, make whatever adjustments you feel appropriate. These things weren't mass produced. Each one was a hand-built bespoke creation, so there's no reason the ones you produce have to be identical to IRL either  :) 

It's your game, play it the way you want to...

Here's my config, if you want to compare to yours:

Spoiler

// center Center of Mass offset on Mk1 and Mk1-2 pods

@PART[Mark1-2Pod]:FINAL
{
    @CoMOffset = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0
}

@PART[mk1pod]:FINAL
{
    @CoMOffset = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0
}

Edited by Tyko

@Kerbas_ad_astra I am currently testing your version of vens revamp and I am very grateful that you put so much time and devotion into this project. So far, I could not find any major flaws except that the escape cover might need a little adjustment. Maybe you'll take another look at it. So many thanks for doing all this work and I hope your version for 1.4.x can be released soon.

On 5/5/2018 at 10:05 PM, Semaj97 said:

@Kerbas_ad_astra Question here, so I've been looking around and trying to get VSR 1.9.6 in the latest versions (KSP 1.4.2/1.4.3), and is your patch for VSR and 1.4.X related to SMURFF? 

No.  SMURFF has a patch for VSR, not the other way around.

On 5/6/2018 at 5:00 AM, woeller said:

@Kerbas_ad_astra I am currently testing your version of vens revamp and I am very grateful that you put so much time and devotion into this project. So far, I could not find any major flaws except that the escape cover might need a little adjustment. Maybe you'll take another look at it. So many thanks for doing all this work and I hope your version for 1.4.x can be released soon.

Could you specify what the escape cover needs?

@Kerbas_ad_astra I'm also using your updated version of this mod. I have one issue that is easily overlooked - there is a plain untextured white 'cap' covering the top of the RT20 solid booster. Beneath it exists the standard 'end tank' texturing of the RT10 and RT5. I think that it should be removed for now - it appears that Ven was planning to make a change to the top of the RT series engine tanks but never finished or put this cap on as some placeholder.

4 hours ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

Could you specify what the escape cover needs?

A reorientation of the hatch even if it will not fit with the door of the pod. But maybe you will find another solution for that. And would it be possible to ad Ven's textures to the new 1.875 and 5m fairings?

1 hour ago, The-Doctor said:

the mod is being scrapped and a new one is being released? Saw a comment a few pages back about that, is this true?

Check the github's page. It appears to be being actively developed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2018 at 5:08 PM, The-Doctor said:

the mod is being scrapped and a new one is being released? Saw a comment a few pages back about that, is this true?

I'm trying to figure this out as well - reading a few comments suggests someone made a version of this mod that works with 1.4.3, but I can't seem to find a download link anywhere.

I guess the github page is the version fro 1.4.3?

Edited by Boersgard

On 5/19/2018 at 3:20 PM, Boersgard said:

I'm trying to figure this out as well - reading a few comments suggests someone made a version of this mod that works with 1.4.3, but I can't seem to find a download link anywhere.

I guess the github page is the version fro 1.4.3?

I don't think it's released yet so you'd have to test before using this in a career game, etc. Most of it tends to work though. However, I would suggest waiting if you're unsure.

On 5/20/2018 at 5:38 AM, domassimo said:

I don't think it's released yet so you'd have to test before using this in a career game, etc. Most of it tends to work though. However, I would suggest waiting if you're unsure.

It's just a (massive) parts pack and has been working fine for me in 1.4.x installs. It seems like the next update may be pretty big, so not sure how that would affect existing craft. On the other hand, this hasn't been updated for a year, so we really don't have any sense for when a new release will come out, only that it's being worked on.

I decided to take the risk and use the existing build.

Is there a way to change the heat shield textures to black? I can do it with the stock heat shields, but the revamp overrides the textures and I'm not sure how to edit Ven's texture files.

Edited by CodeFantastic

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.