[1.2.2] Stock Part Revamp, Update 1.9.6. Released Source Files!

Ven

This is propably a known issue, but the wheels are acting very odd for me. For one, suspension doesn't work for many of them, and sterring is broke as well as just by holding A or D causes my rover to spin in a circle at absurd speeds

On 5/10/2018 at 12:59 PM, Derb said:

@Kerbas_ad_astra I'm also using your updated version of this mod. I have one issue that is easily overlooked - there is a plain untextured white 'cap' covering the top of the RT20 solid booster. Beneath it exists the standard 'end tank' texturing of the RT10 and RT5. I think that it should be removed for now - it appears that Ven was planning to make a change to the top of the RT series engine tanks but never finished or put this cap on as some placeholder.

The texture file for the RT20 (shared with the RT10, RT5, Kickback, and BACC boosters) has a proper 'cap' texture; it's just not applied to the RT-20 for some reason.  Similarly, the Kickback S1 booster has little rectangles where the "Loaded" text should go.  (Literally unplayable, @Ven pls)

On 5/10/2018 at 5:50 PM, woeller said:

A reorientation of the hatch even if it will not fit with the door of the pod. But maybe you will find another solution for that. And would it be possible to ad Ven's textures to the new 1.875 and 5m fairings?

Since the escape cover obstructs the Mk1-3 hatch even when it's turned properly and the hatch is open, I don't plan to change it.  I've added Ven's textures as an option to the Making History fairings.

13 hours ago, CodeFantastic said:

This is propably a known issue, but the wheels are acting very odd for me. For one, suspension doesn't work for many of them, and sterring is broke as well as just by holding A or D causes my rover to spin in a circle at absurd speeds

That's been fixed in development.

On 5/22/2018 at 10:21 PM, CodeFantastic said:

Is there a way to change the heat shield textures to black? I can do it with the stock heat shields, but the revamp overrides the textures and I'm not sure how to edit Ven's texture files.

The VSR heat-shield textures are in VenStockRevamp\Squad\Parts\Heatshields.

----

I'm feeling close to ready to make a pull request to Ven for a proper KSP 1.4.x release.  (Those interested in testing can grab the "KSP_1.4" branch from my fork of the VSR repo on GitHub.)  Quite a bit has changed, so I think it's best called 1.10 rather than 1.9.7.  Here's the changelog to date:

• Adjusted capacity of CryoX and soft tanks so that capacity does not exceed physical volume, and rebalanced masses to 1 kg of tank per 9 kg fuel for CryoX and 1/10.5 for soft tanks.
    • Adjusted LH2 balance patch accordingly, and also to adapt to changes to CryoTanks' balance.
  • Added support for "VSRExclude" flag that parts can add in a patch so that their references to Squad models don't get replaced with Ven's.
  • Added support for new part variant system.
    • New Rockomax tanks (including the X200-48 tank from VSR), FL-R1 monopropellant tank, and fairings (stock and Making History) now have Ven's models and textures added as variants.
      • Updated to ModuleManager 3.0.7, which includes a bug fix that enables those patches.
    • Engines with "tankbutts" now supported as part variants, rather than "fairings".
    • Several node positions adjusted, most notably the Poodle (the top node now matches the stock position, to make it easier to "upgrade" saves) and Bollard (nudged over very slightly, to reduce torque).
  • Engine FX fixed.
  • Ven's aerospike engine model restored.
  • Inflatable crew parts now use the stock system for changing crew capacity.
    • USI and CLS patches updated.
  • Localized all new parts.
    • Broke out "+PART" patches into full PART nodes, so that e.g. FilterExtensions recognizes new parts as coming from VSR.
  • @EmbersArc fixed wheel steering.

44 minutes ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

The texture file for the RT20 (shared with the RT10, RT5, Kickback, and BACC boosters) has a proper 'cap' texture; it's just not applied to the RT-20 for some reason.  Similarly, the Kickback S1 booster has little rectangles where the "Loaded" text should go.  (Literally unplayable, @Ven pls)

Since the escape cover obstructs the Mk1-3 hatch even when it's turned properly and the hatch is open, I don't plan to change it.  I've added Ven's textures as an option to the Making History fairings.

----

I'm feeling close to ready to make a pull request to Ven for a proper KSP 1.4.x release.  (Those interested in testing can grab the "KSP_1.4" branch from my fork of the VSR repo on GitHub.)  Quite a bit has changed, so I think it's best called 1.10 rather than 1.9.7.  Here's the changelog to date:

• Adjusted capacity of CryoX and soft tanks so that capacity does not exceed physical volume, and rebalanced masses to 1 kg of tank per 9 kg fuel for CryoX and 1/10.5 for soft tanks.
    • Adjusted LH2 balance patch accordingly, and also to adapt to changes to CryoTanks' balance.
  • Added support for "VSRExclude" flag that parts can add in a patch so that their references to Squad models don't get replaced with Ven's.
    • New Rockomax tanks (including the X200-48 tank from VSR), FL-R1 monopropellant tank, and fairings (stock and Making History) now have Ven's models and textures added as variants.
      • Updated to ModuleManager 3.0.7, which includes a bug fix that enables those patches.
    • Engines with "tankbutts" now supported as part variants, rather than "fairings".
    • Several node positions adjusted, most notably the Poodle (the top node now matches the stock position, to make it easier to "upgrade" saves) and Bollard (nudged over very slightly, to reduce torque).
  • Engine FX fixed.
    • Broke out "+PART" patches into full PART nodes, so that e.g. FilterExtensions recognizes new parts as coming from VSR.

How do I go about downloading your patch? Do I just copy your code into one of the configs? Also, do I need a special program to edit the texture files? Because when I open them in a program like Paint.net, the textures are transparent. 

Edited by CodeFantastic

The texture file for the RT20 (shared with the RT10, RT5, Kickback, and BACC boosters) has a proper 'cap' texture; it's just not applied to the RT-20 for some reason.  Similarly, the Kickback S1 booster has little rectangles where the "Loaded" text should go.

It is applied to the RT20, there is just a cap put on top of the model (notice the lip around the top edge that extends further out than the RT10 or RT5, or clip the camera through the top). This is what it looks like after deleting the cap in blender.

HLZmUIZ.png

Edited by Derb

2 hours ago, Derb said:

It is applied to the RT20, there is just a cap put on top of the model (notice the lip around the top edge that extends further out than the RT10 or RT5, or clip the camera through the top). This is what it looks like after deleting the cap in blender.

HLZmUIZ.png

I'd accept that PR if you upload the changed file to GitHub (or I you can upload it somewhere and I can upload it to the repo).

On 5/24/2018 at 8:57 AM, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

• Engine FX fixed.

Thanks! this is awesome. I can't wait to dig into it this weekend.

Did you resolve the issue with the inflatable habs having overly long colliders when in their un-inflated launch configuration? If I put a pair of these on opposite sides pointing out and try to cover with a fairing the fairing behaves as if it's clipping the part even quite a distance beyond the end of the physical model.

4 hours ago, Tyko said:

Thanks! this is awesome. I can't wait to dig into it this weekend.

Did you resolve the issue with the inflatable habs having overly long colliders when in their un-inflated launch configuration? If I put a pair of these on opposite sides pointing out and try to cover with a fairing the fairing behaves as if it's clipping the part even quite a distance beyond the end of the physical model.

Can you show me a screenshot of this behavior?  I just tried them all now and DebugStuff shows their colliders staying nice and compact, and I could make some compact fairings over them.

1 hour ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

Unfortunately, those albums are dead.  Could you re-upload them?

Here you go...I'm trying to add an interstage fairing to cover the section with the inflatables. Note that the fairing is placed well past the ends of the inflatables, but the indicator for building the fairing is still orange meaning the fairing thinks it's clipping a part. Both the IKU-02 and the IKU-03 have this issue.

rtZnnCa.png

bHdC0BJ.png

Edited by Tyko

I don't think there's a problem with the colliders, because when I checked with DebugStuff, the box was just the size of the deflated unit.  I think what you're seeing is that the fairing has to clear the corners as well as the front face (plus a little clearance).  I've sketched what I mean (side view above, top view below):

R4UPN4T.png

Edited by Kerbas_ad_astra

Wow...been going through the updated mod...this is looking really great :) 

The 1.875m heat shield shroud isn't quite working right...

O7O6GnK.png

1 minute ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

I don't think there's a problem with the colliders, because the box was just the size of the deflated unit.  I think what you're seeing is that the fairing has to clear the corners as well as the front face (plus a little clearance).  I've sketched what I mean (side view above, top view below):

R4UPN4T.png

So the collider is a box...I get it...thanks for taking the time to illustrate that.

On 5/24/2018 at 12:57 PM, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

----

• Engine FX fixed.

Hello everyone!

I have a strange issue - revamped stock lights don't actually give any light... Does anyone have the same issue? Is there's a fix anywhere?

On 5/30/2018 at 7:02 AM, Danilo Coelho said:

Hello everyone!

I have a strange issue - revamped stock lights don't actually give any light... Does anyone have the same issue? Is there's a fix anywhere?

I just checked them, and they work.  Are you sure that your graphics settings have "pixel lights" (I think) enabled?  I've actually just fixed the opposite problem (thanks @taniwha for the io_object_mu python script library!): Ven's lights no longer illuminate planets from orbit.

One question for the crowd: as @Derb found above, the only issue with the RT20 booster is that there's an untextured object stuck on top of the model.  He removed it in Blender, but even though I don't have much Blender practice, I was able to use the new Part Variant system to remove it within KSP (finding the name of the object with DebugStuff and setting it to "false").  Even if I only give it one variant, the part gets the "bi-colored paint drop" icon in the editor, so I thought I'd add a second variant, to make it a more 'honest' icon.  It so happens that Ven made a dummy SRB nose cone model, which was meant to be applied to the top of an SB with a MODEL node, but it was never used.  (It's not suitable for turning it into a discrete part, because it's not an enclosed shape -- it's just an "upper surface".)  I made that a second part variant, like so:

w3ndEGe.png

My hangup with this is that that nose cone actually has even lower drag than the "Advanced Nose Cone" (by just a little bit), and it's available as soon as the part is unlocked.  Thoughts on whether or not I should make it available (or even roll it out to all SRBs)?

11 hours ago, Blasty McBlastblast said:

It would be cool to see SRB nose cones (nozzle gimbaling too) become available as a part upgrade at a higher tech tier :) 

Why would nosecones require any sort of technical advancement though?

Nozzle gimbaling - if you wanted to do this you could set the gimbal range to zero early on and have upgrades increase it, but there's no way to remove the gimbal module entirely.

E: maybe you could set moduleIsEnabled = false on the gimbal module which it looks like would hide most of the UI.  Haven't tested this though.

Edited by blowfish

On 6/1/2018 at 7:12 PM, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

My hangup with this is that that nose cone actually has even lower drag than the "Advanced Nose Cone" (by just a little bit), and it's available as soon as the part is unlocked.  Thoughts on whether or not I should make it available (or even roll it out to all SRBs)?

Thanks for all the work! I like leaving the nosecone option in, but it's a minor choice either way.

Benefits:

• "Honest" icon
  • More booster configuration options
  • Slightly lower parts count for launches

Disadvantages:

• cheaty on drag, but it doesn't sound like it's that much
  • cheaty on weight, but compared to the overall weight of an SRB the nose cone's weight is tiny.

On 6/1/2018 at 11:12 PM, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

I just checked them, and they work.  Are you sure that your graphics settings have "pixel lights" (I think) enabled?  I've actually just fixed the opposite problem (thanks @taniwha for the io_object_mu python script library!): Ven's lights no longer illuminate planets from orbit.

One question for the crowd: as @Derb found above, the only issue with the RT20 booster is that there's an untextured object stuck on top of the model.  He removed it in Blender, but even though I don't have much Blender practice, I was able to use the new Part Variant system to remove it within KSP (finding the name of the object with DebugStuff and setting it to "false").  Even if I only give it one variant, the part gets the "bi-colored paint drop" icon in the editor, so I thought I'd add a second variant, to make it a more 'honest' icon.  It so happens that Ven made a dummy SRB nose cone model, which was meant to be applied to the top of an SB with a MODEL node, but it was never used.  (It's not suitable for turning it into a discrete part, because it's not an enclosed shape -- it's just an "upper surface".)  I made that a second part variant, like so:

w3ndEGe.png

I did a fresh instalation on my KSP and the lights worked fine. I had one problem, throught, whith the PPd-20 Jumbo Kerbal Can. Every time i transfer a kerbal to it, it's icon desapears, making impossible to control this kerbal.

On 6/1/2018 at 11:12 PM, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

w3ndEGe.png

I've finally discover the conflict that broked my lights. Was the mod "surface lights" that has a patch that uses the stock light and, probably, broke my mod. 

On 2/10/2018 at 5:08 PM, EmbersArc said:

Alright, wheels are done so far, who wants to test them?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ndeyd03pre6ko1m/AACAHWCLNDYI1byPu1H2yzCYa?dl=0

Going from stock to those is seamless for all except the large XL3 wheels. Those will do something weird and launch you up in the air when they're loaded for the first time. No idea why.

The wheels act strange, when launching a craft they flip 90' degrees in rotation

38 minutes ago, EmbersArc said:

Still? Pretty sure I fixed this issue when it came up in 1.4. Is it back?

Well, im using 1.4.1, and the download version from that DropBox link, is there another download link?

Not sure if anyone has experienced this bug recently, but I'm currently getting a bad one: in the editor, the "Open" button on the smaller of the two Service Bays is gone. There's a "toggle" button that does nothing, but no "Open" button, rendering the part useless as you can't place anything inside while it's closed. The 2.5m version of the bay works just fine. What's up?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.