[1.2.2] Stock Part Revamp, Update 1.9.6. Released Source Files!

Ven

9 hours ago, Tyko said:

As a test I tried deleting the PathPatches folder and /Squad/Data folder. That seems to have worked and retains all the textures for the VSR unique parts. Only question...if a texture isn't referenced by a config file does it still get loaded just because it's in the mod folder?

All textures and models in GameData get loaded; I know there have been mods in the past that would unload textures that aren't used in particular scenes, but I don't think the game itself prunes the database or anything like that.  That's what software like AutoPruner is for (to rename designated files to have the ".pruned" extension so that the game won't load them).

Hi @Kerbas_ad_astra. It seems that VSR is causing a weird conflict with Kerbalism. @JebIsDeadBaby has explained it over in the Kerbalism thread, but a number of us are all experiencing the same problem.

The linked post mentions the Mk1 pod, but this bug is happening with all kinds of vessels.

As far as I can tell, this bug is being created with Ven's last release, and with release you've just done for 6.1. Is there anything you might be able to do to isolate or fix the problem? 

Many thanks.

Edited by Daedalus451

On 1/13/2019 at 5:12 PM, Danilo Coelho said:

There is also a bug with the spark and poodle engines. 

The Poodle is fixed, but I'm having trouble with the Spark. I thought I just had to change the name in the ModuleJettison, but the shroud is still showing up when it shouldn't.  Somebody who knows more about part models should have a look.

Kerbalism will get my attention eventually.  (If it's actually an issue?  There seemed to be some confusion on that point in the thread.)

Edited by Kerbas_ad_astra

@Kerbas_ad_astra Skipper and size 1 decoupler are not a nice combination as of now.
First off: The decoupler fits exactly into the Skipper (which has its node slightly higher), therefore I think this is done on purpose. Moreover, adding a payload fairing looks like the Skipper itself is held.

However, this makes the decoupler virtually unselectable. You have to remove and replace the Skipper if you want to remove the decoupler.

4 hours ago, Delay said:

@Kerbas_ad_astra Skipper and size 1 decoupler are not a nice combination as of now.
First off: The decoupler fits exactly into the Skipper (which has its node slightly higher), therefore I think this is done on purpose. Moreover, adding a payload fairing looks like the Skipper itself is held.

However, this makes the decoupler virtually unselectable. You have to remove and replace the Skipper if you want to remove the decoupler.

I've adjusted the position of the Skipper's fairing so that size 1 parts are easier to use with it.

Edit: Also fixed the Spark's shroud.

7 hours ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

Skipper's fairing

Not the Skipper's fairing. Granted, that one was also somewhat off in combination with a size 1 part, but I mean a custom fairing (hence I used payload fairing) and that actually looks very nice.

The size 1 decoupler is the problem: It's too far inside the engine, so that attempts to select it always select the engine.

1 hour ago, Delay said:

Not the Skipper's fairing. Granted, that one was also somewhat off in combination with a size 1 part, but I mean a custom fairing (hence I used payload fairing) and that actually looks very nice.

The size 1 decoupler is the problem: It's too far inside the engine, so that attempts to select it always select the engine.

The reason the node was so far up in the bell is because of how far up the Skipper's fairing was (a size 2 decoupler had to fit with the bottom edge of the shroud).  So I moved the shroud down so that I could move that node down, and now size 1 decouplers fit in much more conveniently:

xakrl0r.png

I've just fixed the multi-couplers and adapters, which I think are the final parts that needed fixing.  Check it out with the green "Clone or download" button: https://github.com/Kerbas-ad-astra/Stock-Revamp/tree/KSP_1.6

In my testing, that bug that @Daedalus451 mentioned occurs even when VSR is not installed, so it's not an issue here.  If nothing else comes up in the next week, I'll publish a full changelog and see about packaging up a proper release and a new thread.

"1.6" still works in 1.5.1, right?

I'm mostly waiting for Principia to update to 1.6.

Oh, and I just want to note that the Falcon 9 legs that come with VSR are blatantly overkill in impact tolerance, not even water manages to get rid of them.

Edited by Delay

Not quite, because Squad reorganized some of the part textures between 1.5 and 1.6, such as the Rockomax tanks.  However, if you use the KSP_1.5 branch, be sure not to use the RT-10-G booster, because that was a temporary part that I was trying out as an experiment while figuring out what to do with Squad's new booster variants, and it no longer exists in the KSP 1.6 branch.

Hey Kerbas_ad_astra, you're really doing great work with this. It would be a real shame to lose Ven's. So Thank you.

Also, there is an issue with mesh/texture switching on the Rockomax X200-48 tank. The ven version loads but the stock variants are invisible.

2 hours ago, Omega482 said:

Hey Kerbas_ad_astra, you're really doing great work with this. It would be a real shame to lose Ven's. So Thank you.

Also, there is an issue with mesh/texture switching on the Rockomax X200-48 tank. The ven version loads but the stock variants are invisible.

Fixed!  Thanks for the heads-up.

@Kerbas_ad_astra Sorry to bring yet another problem with the Skipper, but here it is:
High thrust settings cause a Skipper-powered stage to start wobbling (SAS enabled, of course). The stage is only around 12t (+ Payload) mass at worst, but it makes precision maneuvers at high thrust impossible.

Edited by Delay

42 minutes ago, Delay said:

@Kerbas_ad_astra Sorry to bring yet another problem with the Skipper, but here it is:
High thrust settings cause a Skipper-powered stage to start wobbling (SAS enabled, of course). The stage is only around 12t (+ Payload) mass at worst, but it makes precision maneuvers at high thrust impossible.

Can you get me a craft file?

I encountered a problem with the T100, T200, T400 and T800 tanks.

The T800 and T200 seems to have a bigger size than 1.25m parts and their nodes to attach other parts are inside the tanks. The whole part just seams to be scaled up a bit.

If I use the T400 in the VAB it has the correct size of 1.25m but when I load the craft on the launch pad the size is changing into something bigger. Something between 1.25m and 2.5m. And additionally, if I select a different variant in the VAB oft the T100 ore T400, it changes to the Ven’s Stock variant when launching the craft and after reverting to the VAB it’s not possible to change the variant again.

I’m using KSP 1.6.0 with Making History Expansion (fresh installed) and just the 1.6 branch you posted.

I hope you understand the problem I described otherwise let me know if you need a Log file or screenshots.

Thanks anyway for the amazing mode and the help.

6 hours ago, Delay said:

So, I just landed on the Mun with that rocket, and had no difficulties (well, it fell over when it landed because I didn't put landing gear on it).  I did notice a little more tendency to wiggle in the final meters per second of a burn compared to the stock Skipper, but that's because stock engines (except the SSME and Panther) have no gimbal response speed; the engine simply snaps to whatever angle is commanded by SAS, whereas VSR updates all engines to have finite gimbal rates.  It was easy enough to perform some corrections with the engine at minimum throttle.

Speaking as an aerospace engineer, "precision maneuvers at high thrust" is kind of an oxymoron; controllers and actuators (in Kerbal and real life) have domains where they respond well, and will overcontrol or undercontrol outside of that domain.  A Skipper on a 12-ton payload has a TWR of 5, which is huge; using a Poodle (TWR 2) will result in more delta-V and a TWR closer to 2, which is much easier for the controller to handle.  I typically target TWRs between 0.5 and 2 when I'm designing upper stages.

For true high-precision control, it's best to use RCS thrusters to perform fine adjustments after getting 'close enough' with a main engine.  Especially if you play with mods like Throttle Limit Extended, which I recommend:

2 hours ago, Gilsch said:

I encountered a problem with the T100, T200, T400 and T800 tanks.

The T800 and T200 seems to have a bigger size than 1.25m parts and their nodes to attach other parts are inside the tanks. The whole part just seams to be scaled up a bit.

If I use the T400 in the VAB it has the correct size of 1.25m but when I load the craft on the launch pad the size is changing into something bigger. Something between 1.25m and 2.5m. And additionally, if I select a different variant in the VAB oft the T100 ore T400, it changes to the Ven’s Stock variant when launching the craft and after reverting to the VAB it’s not possible to change the variant again.

I’m using KSP 1.6.0 with Making History Expansion (fresh installed) and just the 1.6 branch you posted.

I hope you understand the problem I described otherwise let me know if you need a Log file or screenshots.

Thanks anyway for the amazing mode and the help.

Could you try it on KSP 1.6.1?  I understand Squad fixed some bugs related to the part database, and I haven't reproduced your issues with it.  If it still acts up, I will need screenshots and logs.

9 hours ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

Could you try it on KSP 1.6.1?  I understand Squad fixed some bugs related to the part database, and I haven't reproduced your issues with it.  If it still acts up, I will need screenshots and logs.

Thanks that seemed to solve the problem. Was not aware that ther was a 1.6.1 version.

Hey @Kerbas_ad_astra,

First off, thanks for all your amazing work maintaining this mod, It's always been one of my favorites.

Just wanted to mention an Issue with the LV-909 Terrier engine. There seems to be a scaling issue with it as it no longer fits with 1m parts. also the lower attach node is very far beneath the part. Similar to how the RT10 Hammer was behaving before the recent fix.

On 1/22/2019 at 9:59 AM, Danilo Coelho said:

Found another bug: There is a gap between the terrier engine and any decoupler that you place. Obs.: Is there any chance for using the new skins for the terrier, spark engines as variants? Just loved the new stock terrier.

Fixed the scaling and node positions of the Terrier.  Unfortunately, while it's easy enough to have Squad's and Ven's models coexist as variants, doing so causes thrust effects to misbehave.

Here's the changelog 'through the ages' from 1.4 to 1.6.  Again, if nothing comes up this week, I'll package up a proper release and make a new thread:

Changes for KSP 1.4:

• Support for localisation
  • +PART patches expanded into full PART nodes (so that parts added by VSR are properly identified as such by Filter Extension)
  • Added support for inflatable crew module feature
  • Adjusted node positions of Ven's new Poodle model so that 'upgraded' vehicles don't have the bell sticking down into the decoupler below.
    • Moved old VSR Poodle model to new O-80 "Gale" Service Engine part (size 2 monoprop engine).
  • Re-enabled revamped wheel models (thanks @Enceos)
  • Re-enabled giant SpaceX-style landing gear (thanks @notquitehalf)
  • Added Part Variant support to Ven's engine models with optional tankbutts.
  • Added Ven's textures and models as default variants of aerodynamic fairings and Rockomax (size 2) tanks.
  • Added VSRexclude switch -- set "VSRexclude = true" in a part config and VSR will not swap its stock model(s) for Ven's versions.
  • Balanced CryoX and soft fuel tanks for updates to CryoTanks.
  • Adjusted node positions of several models to fit better and reduce thrust offset.
  • Restored Ven's old aerospike model on top of Porkjet's.
  • Lights no longer illuminate planets from orbit.

Changes for KSP 1.5:

• Added fuel to Rockomax-48 fuel tank...
  • Added Ven's models as default variants of revamped Mk1 pod, Stayputnik, OKTO, OKTO2, QBE, HECS, HECS2, and RoveMate probe cores, and FL-T (size 1) fuel tanks.
  • Added new RT-10-G SRB to use Ven's model (with gimbals).

Changes for KSP 1.6:

• Added Ven's models as default variants of revamped multicouplers, Rockomax and FL-T adapters, and nose cones (Aerodynamic Nose Cone and Protective Nose Cone Mk7).
    • Added new ADTP-3-2-H part, as a special lightweight hollow adapter between size 2 and 3 parts. (Squad's revamped model is a fuel tank, so Ven's model doesn't apply to it.)
    • Fixed Rockomax tanks.
  • Ven's old Poodle model returns to revamp Squad's revamped Poodle model.
    • Marked O-80 "Gale" service engine as deprecated (TechHidden = true), to be removed in a future update.
  • Ven's engine models now overwrite Squad's revamped Poodle, Spark, Terrier, RT-5, and RT-10 engine models.
    • RT-10-G SRB removed.
  • Adjusted node and fairing positions of Skipper model, so it is now more convenient to use with size 1 parts.

"Changelog" for users installing Ven's Stock Revamp on KSP 1.6:

• Most parts in the base game (i.e. not from Making History or any future expansions) get completely replaced, but there are a handful of exceptions:
    • Spaceplane parts are generally left alone. (The "Wheesley", "Whiplash", and "Panther" engines get some decorative turbomachinery added to the front of them.)
    • Squad's revamped fuel tanks, adapters, and probe cores are still available as variants (though Ven's models are now the default variant for them).
    • The revamped Mk1-3 pod and Mk2 Lander Can models are left alone, because their IVAs have changed significantly and no longer fit with Ven's models (and they look nice enough).
  • New parts that fill some gaps in the stock range, including half-sized deployable solar panels, structural girders in multiple sizes and configurations, and a range of Oscar 0.625m fuel tanks.

On 1/26/2019 at 4:38 PM, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

Marked O-80 "Gale" service engine as deprecated (TechHidden = true), to be removed in a future update.

Does that mean that only the part config will be removed or the entirety of the engine (models/textures)? Because it is a nice model that RO uses it for some of the stock/cloned engines.

On another note: the names of the main and vernier engines of the "Size2MedEngine" (RD-108 alike) are exactly the same ("thrustTransform"). Meaning that it breaks any chance of using different thrust values for the main/verniers or creating correct RealPlume configs (different styles for each nozzle exhaust). Would it be possible to change the names of the vernier thrust transforms?

4 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

Does that mean that only the part config will be removed or the entirety of the engine (models/textures)? Because it is a nice model that RO uses it for some of the stock/cloned engines.

On another note: the names of the main and vernier engines of the "Size2MedEngine" (RD-108 alike) are exactly the same ("thrustTransform"). Meaning that it breaks any chance of using different thrust values for the main/verniers or creating correct RealPlume configs (different styles for each nozzle exhaust). Would it be possible to change the names of the vernier thrust transforms?

Just the part config will be removed.  When Ven introduced the "PoodleS2NTR" model (with the big ball thrust chamber, like the old Poodle), I made the O-80 to give his previous Poodle model (the nice SPS lookalike) something to do.  Then, Squad revamped the Poodle to their two-nozzle model, and so Ven's first Poodle model could return to the Poodle itself, and so the O-80 will return to the luminiferous æther.

I'll see about those thrust transform names...editing them is easy enough, but I understand there's a way to assign them different weights or something for ModuleEnginesFX?  Can you tell me anything about that?

3 hours ago, woeller said:

1.25m heat shield attachment node is a little bit off.

tmuZfjH.jpg

The joys of mating rounded parts to flat-bottomed parts...I will see what I can do with the node placements of the heat shield to make that right.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.