[1.2.2] Stock Part Revamp, Update 1.9.6. Released Source Files!

Ven

7 hours ago, Rodger said:

Well here's a quick MM patch for Remote Tech, the ranges/angles/power use was only adjusted by 'feel', no maths to balance them properly... But they'll at least work.
http://pastebin.com/9KX28c5e

And @Thahat, good luck with trying to get the hatch ven-alike, post the patch if you get it to work!

Nope, did not work out. the pointy docking port i could take out of the other mod, i could open up its texture, rotate it, make it refer to a more self-contained folder. that worked....and then could not save the new texture's .DDS :/ also the model for the pointy docking port is not 100% symetrical, so it looked wrong rotared 45 degrees.

Hi, I'm trying to use the KSPBlender script with a craft that contains parts from VSR. It can't locate the various Cubic Octagonal Strut parts in GameData, and I don't blame it:

~/Games/KSP-v1.0.5/game/GameData$ grep -r "Mk I" *
ModuleManager.ConfigCache:		title = Cubic Octagonal Strut Mk I
ModuleManager.ConfigCache:		title = Cubic Octagonal Strut Mk II
ModuleManager.ConfigCache:		title = Cubic Octagonal Strut Mk III
ModuleManager.ConfigCache:		title = Cubic Octagonal Strut Mk IV
ModuleManager.ConfigCache.old:		title = Cubic Octagonal Strut Mk I
ModuleManager.ConfigCache.old:		title = Cubic Octagonal Strut Mk II
ModuleManager.ConfigCache.old:		title = Cubic Octagonal Strut Mk III
ModuleManager.ConfigCache.old:		title = Cubic Octagonal Strut Mk IV
VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/Structural.cfg:	@title = Cubic Octagonal Strut Mk I

The Mk II, III, and IV parts are not listed in any .cfg file, anywhere. How are they generated?

edit: I don't mean to clog up a dev thread, but there's some voodoo going on and I reckon the people with the requisite knowledge hang out here.

Edited by Bluebottle

1 hour ago, Bluebottle said:

Hi, I'm trying to use the KSPBlender script with a craft that contains parts from VSR. It can't locate the various Cubic Octagonal Strut parts in GameData, and I don't blame it:

~/Games/KSP-v1.0.5/game/GameData$ grep -r "Mk I" *
ModuleManager.ConfigCache:		title = Cubic Octagonal Strut Mk I
ModuleManager.ConfigCache:		title = Cubic Octagonal Strut Mk II
ModuleManager.ConfigCache:		title = Cubic Octagonal Strut Mk III
ModuleManager.ConfigCache:		title = Cubic Octagonal Strut Mk IV
ModuleManager.ConfigCache.old:		title = Cubic Octagonal Strut Mk I
ModuleManager.ConfigCache.old:		title = Cubic Octagonal Strut Mk II
ModuleManager.ConfigCache.old:		title = Cubic Octagonal Strut Mk III
ModuleManager.ConfigCache.old:		title = Cubic Octagonal Strut Mk IV
VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/Structural.cfg:	@title = Cubic Octagonal Strut Mk I

The Mk II, III, and IV parts are not listed in any .cfg file, anywhere. How are they generated?

edit: I don't mean to clog up a dev thread, but there's some voodoo going on and I reckon the people with the requisite knowledge hang out here.

You're looking for the config file "Extra Structural Parts.cfg" in the Part Bin and it works by basically cloning the stock strut with a few modifications; it's not a full config file, which might be why you can't access it normally.

----Edit-----------

@NathanKell

Sorry to ping you on something so minor, but a lot of the configs are filled with non-readable/printable text (easily half of them) to the point where they break functionality with some text editors. I ran ExtraAeroParts.cfg through a pruner for non-printable characters and it dropped in size from 3.1kb to 1.8kb. The weird thing is, some text editors seem to open it fine but display nothing, others display gibberish, (which when you remove it, breaks everything). None of this probably makes any difference to the end user as I'm sure all the parts work in game, but I figured I'd mention it in case you run into any problems yourself when working on it.

I know I know, secret invisible symbols no one but me can see. Totally not crazy.:rolleyes:

Edited by Deimos Rast

9 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

You're looking for the config file "Extra Structural Parts.cfg" in the Part Bin and it works by basically cloning the stock strut with a few modifications; it's not a full config file, which might be why you can't access it normally.

Thank you. It wasn't found by my text search, and I see that it's a UTF-16 file, which is the reason. Might I suggest that plain text files are kept on UTF-8?

Edited by Bluebottle

3 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

I have merely bundled this together and fixed the metadata, and also that engine gimbal patch. I suggest sending PRs for any files that are behaving oddly so Ven can merge them to fix.

Understood; sorry to bother you. Thank you for your time (and the release).:)

1 hour ago, Deimos Rast said:

I know I know, secret invisible symbols no one but me can see. Totally not crazy.:rolleyes:

Far from crazy! On Linux, this command would fix the problem instantly:

iconv -f utf-16 -t utf-8 something.cfg

That is, assuming no-one wants to write Japanese in there. :)

25 minutes ago, Bluebottle said:

Far from crazy! On Linux, this command would fix the problem instantly:

iconv -f utf-16 -t utf-8 something.cfg

That is, assuming no-one wants to write Japanese in there. :)

I am indeed on linux, so I'll have to remember that (I'm a linux newb).

I was using tr -dc which also destroys the formating, which I would manually (gross) restore. I don't think it does directories/recursive either. So, it's a WIP.

Thanks!

12 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

I am indeed on linux, so I'll have to remember that (I'm a linux newb).

I was using tr -dc which also destroys the formating, which I would manually (gross) restore. I don't think it does directories/recursive either. So, it's a WIP.

Thanks!

Glad to help in whatever small way I can. :) "tr -dc" indeed won't do recursive work, you'd have to run it via "find -exec", or "find -0" piped to "xargs -0". Very powerful and fast for batch work, but finicky syntax.

Edited by Bluebottle

Just now, crapstar said:

How do I select the smaller node?

You just have to move the part a bit until it snaps to the other one.  They're pretty close together but not right on top of each other.

Sorry if this exists in here already, though i searched and did not find it. How are yall playing RSS with this? I love this mod, but am i missing a config that makes these parts RSS capable?

4 hours ago, SaltyJ said:

Sorry if this exists in here already, though i searched and did not find it. How are yall playing RSS with this? I love this mod, but am i missing a config that makes these parts RSS capable?

I'm not quite sure this is specific to Ven's Stock Revamp.  For the most part the stats are exactly the same as stock.  To be able to build any reasonable rockets in RSS, you will need a mod that re-balances nearly everything, such as SMURFF or RealismOverhaul.

Hey Ven!! :D 

Awesome looking Mod!! love the new look and more realistic parts but still keeps in tocuh with the original stock part esthetics - 

just one small detail 

The docking ports doesnt seem to work for me very well. It's like the bumpers are always active when i dock so the to vehicles i try to dock dont actually dock unless i made them so in the VAB or SVB

is there any fix for this and if so would someone care to explain the solotion :D otherwise id love to see that in a future update! :D 

I love this mod! Makes things look so much better. I do have a question I hope someone can answer for me. While I love most of the new textures, I don't really like the Communotron DTS-M1 change. Is there any way to keep just that part stock? Last time I tried messing with stuff, I ended up messing things up. Thanks.

Is this gap on the Mk1-2 pod supposed to be there?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b3b44xbn37y1dte/vengap.PNG?dl=0

Also, I  can't attach anything to a docking port in the VAB unless the bumper is deployed, and the Mk16-XXL docking port retracts the animation immediately after deploying it, but leaves the node floating above it

Edited by dlrk

1 hour ago, Benji13 said:

This is an awesome mod but I only want the textures, not the new parts. Is there a way to remove the new parts? I tried myself but the kraken didn't like it. Thanks in advance!

Install the mod as usual. Go into your Gamedata folder. Find the VenStockRevamp folder and delete the Part Bin folder within it. That should remove all the new parts.

8 hours ago, dlrk said:

Is this gap on the Mk1-2 pod supposed to be there?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b3b44xbn37y1dte/vengap.PNG?dl=0

Also, I  can't attach anything to a docking port in the VAB unless the bumper is deployed, and the Mk16-XXL docking port retracts the animation immediately after deploying it, but leaves the node floating above it

Do you have tweakable everything by any chance? If you do then remove the docking port plugin

Also can I just say @Ven thank you for all of the hard work you have put into this mod, the quality is fantastic and I love the new detailing on the engines and glad to see them part of the pack now. I was never a huge fan of the old think remodel, but the new one is great. And the new inflatables are brilliant. Just a small request that the tent is made a bit bigger maybe.

But thank you again :)

Edited by Chimer4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.