[1.2.2] Stock Part Revamp, Update 1.9.6. Released Source Files!

Ven

Two things:

1, the wheel looks a bit odd sticking out the bottom there... not entirely realistic either. If it's a question of the wheel being just too big for the bay, why not make it just pivot over 90 degrees? I do like the swinging doors though.. hate the stock ones, I always think they look like a pair of trousers from behind or something.

2, consider using/borrowing the texture from KSPRC for the panels, or at least making it easy for me to keep them. Unless you can do something better... ;)

I don't like those panel textures. :/

I think there's a limit to the amount of RCS jets a part can have in Unity (someone will need to confirm this) but there's no reason there couldn't be a separate part containing the thrusters and have them attach to a special node.

I think there's a limit to the amount of RCS jets a part can have in Unity (someone will need to confirm this) but there's no reason there couldn't be a separate part containing the thrusters and have them attach to a special node.

There's no hard limitation, but there are practicality issues that can arise from putting RCS onto a single part where you'd ordinarily be using multiple parts. The issue is that that part may fire ALL jets in some situations where your craft has other RCS jets.

There is a possible workaround that to my knowledge has never been tried. The workaround involves breaking up the RCS transforms into groups where the transforms are uniquely named. For instance starboardRCS, portRCS, etc. Then, in the part's config file you would have multiple ModuleRCS, one for each uniquely named cluster. Inside each ModuleRCS block you would then set thrusterTransformName to the name of the transform corresponding to one of the clusters. In theory that should let it work properly in all situations even with other RCS parts. But again, it hasn't been tested.

Concerning the new gear bay, My concern is that it's weird that a part undergoing atmospheric reentry has it's rubber landing gear exposed to the plasma stream. Now for planes that are not expecting reentry effects it looks cool and I can see why you'd do it like that, but for the most part if I think that the rubber wheel could stand to look like it's shielded for the rigors of reentry.

Concerning the new gear bay, My concern is that it's weird that a part undergoing atmospheric reentry has it's rubber landing gear exposed to the plasma stream. Now for planes that are not expecting reentry effects it looks cool and I can see why you'd do it like that, but for the most part if I think that the rubber wheel could stand to look like it's shielded for the rigors of reentry.

That makes perfect sense, really! But these parts have to fit exactly the same dimensions of stock parts, and the stock part has a protruding wheel.

That makes perfect sense, really! But these parts have to fit exactly the same dimensions of stock parts, and the stock part has a protruding wheel.

It does? hold on let me check.

Huh, I never noticed that the stock wheel protrudes out of the wheel base.

But the Stock gear does not allow surface attachment, so it doesn't matter. Heck, the Parachutes don't fit the same dimensions!

The parts don't have to fit exactly... If you remove the fairings of the engines, for example, you'll notice that they'll clip into the parts below them.

Anyway, it's far more an issue of looks than anything. If I made the wheel go all the way into the bay, I'd have to either make the pod taller or reduce the size of the wheel. If I make the wheel rotate 90 degrees, then I'll have to make the pod wider. The gear pod needs to be skinny to look right, and the only way I can achieve that is to let the wheel hang out a bit.

I've added a fender/ mudguard/ heat shield to the wheel that rotates into place when the wheel is stowed. Also the cupola + most of the electrical parts:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Help, for some reason my textures are all misaligned http://i.gyazo.com/30da2a497c0a6bbf1b5625b6ecf321a4.png http://i.gyazo.com/ed6f32e9e0c5331453fab59ec90aa659.png

i think those poor pods told me to destroy them :( i have renaissance pack, would that affect it?

Yeah it's from SPR and renaissance pack fighting with each other, you'll need to delete one of the over writing files.

Renaissance files are in: GameData\TextureReplacer\Default\Squad\Parts

Edited by TopHatDragon

The parts don't have to fit exactly... If you remove the fairings of the engines, for example, you'll notice that they'll clip into the parts below them.

Anyway, it's far more an issue of looks than anything. If I made the wheel go all the way into the bay, I'd have to either make the pod taller or reduce the size of the wheel. If I make the wheel rotate 90 degrees, then I'll have to make the pod wider. The gear pod needs to be skinny to look right, and the only way I can achieve that is to let the wheel hang out a bit.

I've added a fender/ mudguard/ heat shield to the wheel that rotates into place when the wheel is stowed. Also the cupola + most of the electrical parts:

http://imgur.com/a/7fF2B

Dat Cupola. Awesome parts as always Ven, can't wait for the next version!

The batteries are looking great, i like the squared "industrial" look. A little suggestion, the top cupola hatch should open in two half circles, because simmetry. And the full plates covers the side a bit too much.

Edited by Sage
graet i can't spell

I like the Cupola shields, but could you divide the big circular one into six pizza-slice-shaped ones? It seems like that big offset circular plate would inhibit FOV or something. Which seems like something you would account for, but still. Please?

The little fender for the retracted wheel looks good. Makes sense, and matches the stock part. :)

I'm going to vote against the fold-out covers on the cupola. Those may be realistic, but the asymmetric central lid just doesn't look good. Take a look at how the cupola window covers work in FusTek. Not as realistic, but unobtrusive and good looking.

I won't use the cupola until it's no longer a control pod at all. It should only be used for observations IMO, and that big control panel definitely gets in the way of viewing. Another thing: The IVA is too bright. It needs to be a bit darker!

- - - Updated - - -

We need a stockalike/venalike robotic arm to go with a new Cupola!

http://imgur.com/a/7fF2B

I hate to ask this, but why hasn't Squad hired you?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.