[1.2.2] Stock Part Revamp, Update 1.9.6. Released Source Files!

Ven

3 hours ago, peachoftree said:

I created a zip of all the changes necessary to run this in 1.1.2, you can dowload it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5l3t4uhkf9bwcbm/VenStockRevamp_1.1.zip?dl=0

To install just put the contents of the zip directly into your gamedata folder.

Changes:

• Removed the landing legs
  • Removed reflecting windows and solar panels
  • Implemented @lagcity613's patch for the gigantors

All other credit goes to @Ven

License: CC-BY 4.0 International 

Nice, that's gonna be very helpful for people who don't want to search through giant cfgs.

28 minutes ago, mtpatane said:

Any chance you could remove the engines with known gimbal issues too??

i think that that will ensure full functionality. 

I totally would but I have no idea where to start!

Which ones would those be? I haven't seen any issues yet

53 minutes ago, peachoftree said:

Which ones would those be? I haven't seen any issues yet

LV909, terrier, i think the two stronger 0.625 engines, probably the radial engines too. Maybe the skipper, not sure about the others. Their gimbals are confused. AFAIR they only yaw, but do a pitch action when you try to roll (with a single centered engine), maybe it was the other way round. Some work, e.g. the bollards gimbal thrusters.

A whole bunch of engines. I could check the engines and post them back, but idk if it's even worth to do so much work on the configs (especially when you gotta remove 2/3rd of the engines anyway!), instead of just waiting for 1.1.

Edited by Temeter

I found the gimbal problem to be most noticeable with the LV-T45 so I removed Ven's mod on just that engine. My impression was that the 2.5 m engines were working correctly - but I could be wrong. 

Has anyone else seen the folding radiators throwing NREs? I took them out (i.e. back to stock) and the NREs stopped. If no one else has seen that problem it is very likely due to something I messed up myself.

Edited by Kaa253

On April 10, 2016 at 5:55 PM, Farix said:

I've rechecked in a fresh 1.1 install with just Ven's and Module Manager v2.6.21 running in 64-bit. After testing the 1.25m engines, there was no yaw control on the LV-909 "Terrier", LV-T45 "Swivel", and LV-900 "Beagle". The S3 KS-25 "Vector" and KS-25 "Badger" worked.

Here's the list for 1.25 engines

page 104 contains the discussion 

Edited by mtpatane
Adding info

This pack won't be compatible with 1.1 until Ven updates it. The gimbals (as far as I'm aware) are unable to be changed by anyone apart from Ven. Gimbals are tied to an object in the unity editor, so until the pack is updated and the gimbals realigned please take this pack as incompatible. Also there is the issue with docking ports not having an upper attachment node and various other issuses.

Just remember, this is a big pack and 1.1 was a big change so it's best to just wait it out, and when it's ready it's ready. I'm sure Ven won't disappoint :wink: 

1 hour ago, Chimer4 said:

This pack won't be compatible with 1.1 until Ven updates it. The gimbals (as far as I'm aware) are unable to be changed by anyone apart from Ven. Gimbals are tied to an object in the unity editor, so until the pack is updated and the gimbals realigned please take this pack as incompatible. Also there is the issue with docking ports not having an upper attachment node and various other issuses.

Just remember, this is a big pack and 1.1 was a big change so it's best to just wait it out, and when it's ready it's ready. I'm sure Ven won't disappoint :wink: 

Oh yeah I totally understand. 

I was moreso saying is there a way to remove them, like removing the landing legs, so I can still use the other beautiful textures in the mean time. 

Like if the docking ports and gimbaled engines could get the same treatment the landing legs got in this "hold-over" configuration I think it would be more complete, otherwise it's kinda misleading because there's still issues. 

Edited by mtpatane
Spelling

I created a comprehensive spreadsheet on which engines are working and which ones are not. You can find it here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16Umo-jRDGDiIhvG5ZWu8So6rVeBwp7tI5wTnGD8xhIs/edit?usp=sharing

I implemented the changes into my comprehensive 1.1 zip, which you can find in my original post on page 106 or can dowload here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5l3t4uhkf9bwcbm/VenStockRevamp_1.1.zip?dl=0

Edited by peachoftree

31 minutes ago, peachoftree said:

I created a comprehensive spreadsheet on which engines are working and which ones are not. You can find it here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16Umo-jRDGDiIhvG5ZWu8So6rVeBwp7tI5wTnGD8xhIs/edit?usp=sharing

I implemented the changes into my comprehensive 1.1 zip, which you can find in my original post on page 106 or can dowload here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5l3t4uhkf9bwcbm/VenStockRevamp_1.1.zip?dl=0

You're awesome. I'm sorry I didn't mean to sound pushy or anything. I would do it if I knew how (which jIshould probably look into). 

Also, what's the deal with docking ports?

that issue is news to me 

35 minutes ago, peachoftree said:

Did you happen to solve the drag issue?

32 minutes ago, mtpatane said:

You're awesome. I'm sorry I didn't mean to sound pushy or anything. I would do it if I knew how (which jIshould probably look into). 

Also, what's the deal with docking ports?

that issue is news to me 

I looked earlier and it has to do if you have Hullcam VDS installed as well as the stock revamp

28 minutes ago, CodeFantastic said:

I haven't noticed any issues with the parts you mentioned before. Have you tried it on an otherwise stock install?

Edited by peachoftree

53 minutes ago, peachoftree said:

I looked earlier and it has to do if you have Hullcam VDS installed as well as the stock revamp

I haven't noticed any issues with the parts you mentioned before. Have you tried it on an otherwise stock install?

Not yet, but I will try. Could be an issue with realchutes.

The issue that I have noticed with docking ports is that they have no upper attachment node and also sometimes can't use the lower one if it's set as root part. 

Also the deployable radiators cause NRE spam in the log. 

Edited by Chimer4

4 hours ago, peachoftree said:

The 48-7S Spark is not working - it has no pitch control. I tested with a HECS core with reaction control disabled, an Oscar fuel tank and the Spark engine.

Also, the RT-5 "Flea" is working. I don't see it on the spreadsheet, so I thought I'd mention it :)

Edited by MalevolentNinja

50 minutes ago, MalevolentNinja said:

The 48-7S Spark is not working - it has no pitch control. I tested with a Hex core with reaction control disabled, an Oscar fuel tank and the Spark engine.

Also, the RT-5 "Flea" is working. I don't see it on the spreadsheet, so I thought I'd mention it :)

You're right. Thanks for noticing, I'll change the spreadsheet and the download

28 minutes ago, peachoftree said:

You're right. Thanks for noticing, I'll change the spreadsheet and the download

You're actually missing quite a few. I'm working on a more complete spreadsheet of all the engines. I hope to have it posted here later tonight. So unless you just really wanna do a boring audit/test, leave it to me and I'll get it for ya :)

55 minutes ago, peachoftree said:

thank you, share the spreadsheet and I'll implement the changes later. I made that spreadsheet at around 12:00 pm last night so it's not surprising there are a few mistakes.:P

I kind of figured that was the case. Still, it made me giggle when you listed the Reliant as broke...  It's not a gimballing engine :)  (joke's on me - you didn't list the Reliant as broke)

It's all good and I appreciate the effort you're putting in to help out.

Edit: Here's an updated (complete and accurate I hope) spreadsheet. If anyone sees anything wrong please let me know and I'll be happy to fix it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ayq711ApxmiRwrV-ibzejlx3C6bdj22dwR2xntBl3lY/edit?usp=sharing

21 hours ago, CodeFantastic said:

Some parts (Mainly the escape tower and parachute dockingport) seem to have INSANE drag.

5 hours ago, CodeFantastic said:

In my tests there's no significant difference with or without the escape tower / docking port with chute combo.

The LES does seem to cause a slightly higher drag than  a similar rocket without it, but it amounted to ~340m separation from its twin without the LES tower after a full 14400 tank / Rhino. That's less than 10m/s difference at the end of the first stage burn. In my test there were a few more parts on the rocket without the LES, so they weighed the exact same.

uchsbGW.jpg

1 hour ago, MalevolentNinja said:

In my tests there's no significant difference with or without the escape tower / docking port with chute combo.

The LES does seem to cause a slightly higher drag than  a similar rocket without it, but it amounted to ~340m separation from its twin without the LES tower after a full 14400 tank / Rhino. That's less than 10m/s difference at the end of the first stage burn. In my test there were a few more parts on the rocket without the LES, so they weighed the exact same.

uchsbGW.jpg

The problem I was getting was when I did even the slightest of turns, the rocket would flip out. (only a 5 degree pitch over)

Stock aerodynamics can be pretty brutal when it comes to rocket flipping. I'm assuming it's because of the high lift you even get at low speeds. Good for easy planes, but somewhat tricky when using rockets.

You can temporarily fix gimbaling by changing the gimbal transform from what it is to thrustTransform. That will prevent the nozzle from moving, but it will still give you the pretty, pretty part and also still give you correct gimbaling. This is because some of Ven's engines have their gimbal transforms misaligned compared to the thrust transform (Yup instead of Zup).

@peachoftree you forgot to fix the path patches. That will break any other mods that clone or otherwise reference the landing legs (e.g.).You will need to delete the pathpatches for any models you remove.

For the engines, try this:

@PART[VenLV909b|liquidEngine3|Size3AdvancedEngine|liquidEngineMini|liquidEngine2]:FOR[aFirst]:NEEDS[VenStockRevamp]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleGimbal]
	{
		@gimbalTransformName = thrustTransform
	}
}

I don't recall anyone mentioning what the issue with the Kickback was so the above doesn't fix it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.