[1.2.2] Stock Part Revamp, Update 1.9.6. Released Source Files!

Ven

Is it weird that I'm hyped for that? The NASA revamp, I mean.. I honestly didn't think you'd tackle them, but now you are, I'm more stoked than a fireplace in winter :D

Well, originally I never intended to redo the NASA parts, because they by all means looked decent, Until i saw this:

uCVRUdB.jpg?1

:mad:

Which then leads me to this: (no textures! Everything there is modeled!)

hZA6KRz.png

Kr-2L is on the far right, and I'm not really sure that I'm going in the right direction with it, thoughts?

Is it all ok with docking port (Sr, to be specific)? I was docking 2 vessels with Sr after 1.7.1 update and MJ has gone crazy, like if target's port was inverted or rotated - it couldn't position my vessel's port parallel to target, instead it was turning some other direction. I docked them manually, so technically ports seem to work fine. Also there was no such problem with regular clampotron, only Sr one, so I guess MJ itself is not related to this issue. And also in Sr situation docking port alignment indicator gone crazy - it was showing that I was moving like inverted related to target. So I guess it has something to do with Sr port's settings, which cause MJ and alignment indicator to work incorrect.

Visually both ports are positioned ok, I was targeting correct port and controlling vessel from its port. And they finally connected (darn, connecting 300 ton vessel to 150 ton vessel like this is a bit nervous), so ports are definitely attached by correct sides.

that sounds like the SR's docking node is rotated some direction, but to clarify, mechjeb was rolling to align itself with the other port? not pitching or yawing?

Another example is Topaze (the second stage of the Diamant rocket):

http://www.avas.free.fr/aventure/lrba/diamant/histoire%20diamants%20a/diamantA%20etage2.jpg

But the RT-10 is almost exactly the same size and shape and propellant mass as the Orion 50 (Pegasus second stage). Just without the vacuum nozzle and twice as much thrust:

Orion-50XL.jpg

Is it all ok with docking port (Sr, to be specific)? I was docking 2 vessels with Sr after 1.7.1 update and MJ has gone crazy, like if target's port was inverted or rotated - it couldn't position my vessel's port parallel to target, instead it was turning some other direction. I docked them manually, so technically ports seem to work fine. Also there was no such problem with regular clampotron, only Sr one, so I guess MJ itself is not related to this issue. And also in Sr situation docking port alignment indicator gone crazy - it was showing that I was moving like inverted related to target. So I guess it has something to do with Sr port's settings, which cause MJ and alignment indicator to work incorrect.

Visually both ports are positioned ok, I was targeting correct port and controlling vessel from its port. And they finally connected (darn, connecting 300 ton vessel to 150 ton vessel like this is a bit nervous), so ports are definitely attached by correct sides.

Tell me if this works: http://www./download/8y23mwdspo5bv28/srfix.zip.

Well, originally I never intended to redo the NASA parts, because they by all means looked decent, Until i saw this:

http://i.imgur.com/uCVRUdB.jpg?1

:mad:

Which then leads me to this: (no textures! Everything there is modeled!)

http://i.imgur.com/hZA6KRz.png

Shimmy's going to hate you for that KR-2L. I think more or less a J-2 or F-1 like model would be best. Maybe instead of trying to directly copy irl parts, you could design something new for the KR-2L, based upon it's known stats. Also, I think the Launch Escape Tower should be really tall, and the nosecone part of it made sharp.

Basically, the KR-2L needs to stay a lift engine as well as an upper stage engine if you want. Make a separate engine to be a low-power upper stage would be acceptable, like the dual-engine shown. Problem is that the KS-25x4 Cluster ought to be fueled, but then you run into a compatibility problem. Having fuel in that model for the Centaur-ish engine would be acceptable if it's a new engine. I think the best way to do it is to make the KS-25 a fuel tank to 4x 1.25m adapter, and have a big red warning (in forum posts and whatnot) that it has no engines, and make the engines separate, high gimbal, 1.25m parts. Or maybe do that but also make a part that's just the stock part with the new models.

I'm not sure about the bulkheads on those tanks. I never liked 3x symmetry.

http://i.imgur.com/hZA6KRz.png

Kr-2L is on the far right, and I'm not really sure that I'm going in the right direction with it, thoughts?

Hmm.. Not sure I'm a fan of the twin nozzles as I think the KR-2L (hereby called Jeff because I can never remember it's proper name) is modelled after either an F-1 or J-2X which are both single nozzles.. That said, disregarding comparisons to real life, I wouldn't mind if Jeff had two nozzles, similar to KWR's Vesta VR-9D.

And you should definitely make the main SLS engine (I don't even know, the one with four nozzles.. Chris) have the nozzles in a square shape.

EDIT: Also, the SLS SRBs should, all going well, have the Space Shuttle ones replaced by "advanced ones". Sadly, I can't seem to find any concept art of them other than this. Might be groovy to model the NASA SRBs (..Sally) after those.

EDIT EDIT: I've always hated Chris' engine fairing/housing thing above the engine whatever it's called.. they just kinda pudge out with piddly little nozzles sticking out the bottom. Would love something more integrated and streamlined.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

This happens when you first load up the game, just grab a new pod and it should work properly.

If not, then delete your Ven stock revamp folder and re-install the mod.

I've tried both methods, and still this is all I get:

oOLv8yz.png

I use a couple other capsules that have heatshield fairings, and they're still behaving normally. Any suggestions on things to try or places I can look to get more helpful information?

This mod has really frustrated me... I had an older version installed, and I thought "hey, I think it's time for an update on the mod", so I went and got it, downloaded it, extracted it and installed it the way I always do, which is put the VenStockRevamp folder in the GameData folder, along with module manager, then put prune.bat into the KSP directory (Which ISN'T the standard one from Steam, it's just in My Documents), ran it, it came up with a blank CMD window and closed... Annnnd now all the stock parts are completely gone, and all my epic saves are all unplayable because I permanently deleted the old mod files and they all come up as "Locked or Invalid parts!".

What am I doing wrong here? Does it NEED to be in the Steam directory? Or was I meant to unprune before deleting the files? Who knows, but I'm definitely not rebuilding all of my aircraft, no chance.

Any help will be severely appreciated.

EDIT: Also, the SLS SRBs should, all going well, have the Space Shuttle ones replaced by "advanced ones". Sadly, I can't seem to find any concept art of them other than this. Might be groovy to model the NASA SRBs (..Sally) after those.

Those are actually Liquid Fueled Boosters, not SRBs. They're thin fuel tanks powered by F-1 engines.

I think those "advanced" things are just some NASA artist's imagination. Drawings of the "real" ones are in the ATK catalog (as 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 4, and 5 Segment RSRM, both fixed and vectorable nozzles), and they look pretty much exactly like the Shuttle SRBs. The advanced ones haven't finished bidding, so there's not really any design you pin things on.

That catalog is fun, by the way. It has thrust curves for a large percentage of all the solid rocket motors ever flown in or on the way to space.

[EDIT]

Here's the closest thing to the advanced SRBs: http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2013/01/the-dark-knights-atks-advanced-booster-revealed-for-sls/

Z63.jpg

Here's the F-1 engine booster referenced by GregroxMun: http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2012/11/dynetics-pwr-liquidize-sls-booster-competition-f-1-power/

Z91-350x225.jpg

Edited by NonWonderDog

Your new KR-2L model is sweet, looks like the engines used on the Titan rockets to me. That said, I also like the stock KR-2L just having one giant nozzle. So I'm split.

I like the design personally, though it might look a bit strange when folks use it in first stages. Did you use the RL-10 for reference? Based on its stats KR-2L seems to be an upper stage engine, I don't recommend basing it on the F-1 (though the LF boosters from the SLS pack are clearly based on the Dynetics "Pyrios" boosters with use two F-1B engines each). The J-2X would be a good choice if you decide to go a different route.

Uh, looks like people are confused about the NASA parts. Please GO HERE.

1. Massive SRB aka S1 SRB-KD25k. Modeled on the Space Shuttle SRB.

2. LFB KR-1x2: The 'liquid booster' modeled after the Pyrios SLS booster with twin F-1Bs.

3. KR-2L Advanced Engine: Modeled after the J-2X.

4. S3 KS-25x4 Engine Cluster: Modeled after the cluster of SSMEs (RS-25s) on the SLS first stage / core / sustainer.

I've tried both methods, and still this is all I get:

http://i.imgur.com/oOLv8yz.png

I use a couple other capsules that have heatshield fairings, and they're still behaving normally. Any suggestions on things to try or places I can look to get more helpful information?

What mods do you have installed? Did you wipe the old VenStockRevamp folder when you upgraded?

This mod has really frustrated me... I had an older version installed, and I thought "hey, I think it's time for an update on the mod", so I went and got it, downloaded it, extracted it and installed it the way I always do, which is put the VenStockRevamp folder in the GameData folder, along with module manager, then put prune.bat into the KSP directory (Which ISN'T the standard one from Steam, it's just in My Documents), ran it, it came up with a blank CMD window and closed... Annnnd now all the stock parts are completely gone, and all my epic saves are all unplayable because I permanently deleted the old mod files and they all come up as "Locked or Invalid parts!".

What am I doing wrong here? Does it NEED to be in the Steam directory? Or was I meant to unprune before deleting the files? Who knows, but I'm definitely not rebuilding all of my aircraft, no chance.

Any help will be severely appreciated.

Try opening the saved ships in the VAB/Spaceplane hangar, See if it tells you what parts are breaking. Also, what else do you have installed in your game? Are you using the 32 or 64bit client?

Try deleting the old VenStockRevamp folder and then re-install it. I did this once when I broke down the main MM config, and it resulted in most of the parts dissipearing.

I like the design personally, though it might look a bit strange when folks use it in first stages. Did you use the RL-10 for reference? Based on its stats KR-2L seems to be an upper stage engine, I don't recommend basing it on the F-1 (though the LF boosters from the SLS pack are clearly based on the Dynetics "Pyrios" boosters with use two F-1B engines each). The J-2X would be a good choice if you decide to go a different route.

They are based on the RL-10. I'd probably go with the J-2x but the skipper is already based off of that, so I want to go with something new with this engine.

Though now that I think about it, I Could easily make it a single or a quad engine...

- - - Updated - - -

What happens if you load a stock craft with this? Does it swap out the parts?

It changes most of the stock parts, so yes, old crafts will use the new models and stuffs.

Try opening the saved ships in the VAB/Spaceplane hangar, See if it tells you what parts are breaking. Also, what else do you have installed in your game? Are you using the 32 or 64bit client?

Try deleting the old VenStockRevamp folder and then re-install it. I did this once when I broke down the main MM config, and it resulted in most of the parts dissipearing.

All the parts that are breaking are stock parts. Parts such as the stack decoupler, liquid engine 2, fuel tank small, etc.

I have several other mods installed, and all of their parts are showing up correctly and fine, it's just the stock ones that are all gone. This is on the 32bit version of KSP, running on a 64bit computer.

I've tried that, and it seems to do nothing. Maybe it has something to do with the pruning? I don't know.

Edit: I found the issue. I have to delete the Squad folder, and load up a backup of it for my craft to work, and then I have to install the revamp, BUT, as soon as I go to prune the old parts and replace them with the revamped parts, all of the stock parts disappear, and all my craft break again. It's something to do with the batch file and wrong directories, I'm guessing.

Edited by Xenro66

So since installing 1.7 (upgraded to 1.7.1 today but also encountered this bug with 1.7), both of the new capsules have exhibited the same bizarre bug. Doesn't happen every time I use them, and there's no consistent set of events that cause it, just seems to happen randomly, but they will enter this SAS kraken spasm and shake themselves apart, only the yaw will respond and trying to pitch or roll does nothing, then the capsule will vibrate until everything attached to it flies off and the camera becomes totally uncontrollable. Turning SAS on and off does nothing, turning torque on and off does nothing. I am playing with other mods but this occasional behavior is totally new after installing 1.7.

Is anyone else encountering this? When I installed 1.7.1 today I deleted the old Ven's folder and replaced it with the new one so I don't think reinstalling this pack is the fix.

Edit: Alright spent some time reproducing it. It only happens in atmosphere, what'll happen is at about 65km up the capsule will flip itself in an attempt to get the heatshield to point behind you (ie the exact wrong way), sometimes it only gets halfway. If you try to fight this with your SAS on, you just won't have much torque authority. If you try to fight it with SAS off, you will without fail induce a vibration kraken which will rip your ship apart. I hope that helps.

Edited by Captain Planet

So since installing 1.7 (upgraded to 1.7.1 today but also encountered this bug with 1.7), both of the new capsules have exhibited the same bizarre bug. Doesn't happen every time I use them, and there's no consistent set of events that cause it, just seems to happen randomly, but they will enter this SAS kraken spasm and shake themselves apart, only the yaw will respond and trying to pitch or roll does nothing, then the capsule will vibrate until everything attached to it flies off and the camera becomes totally uncontrollable. Turning SAS on and off does nothing, turning torque on and off does nothing. I am playing with other mods but this occasional behavior is totally new after installing 1.7.

Is anyone else encountering this? When I installed 1.7.1 today I deleted the old Ven's folder and replaced it with the new one so I don't think reinstalling this pack is the fix.

Do you use Kerbal Joint Reinforcement? That was a problem I had with it, latest version solved it.

I'm not using Tweakscale and the last change on KJR's github was 3.1.1, 10 days ago. Just tried the dev version of FAR and that's not fixing it.

The weird SAS and explode-y behavior is definitely the result of the top of the capsule forcing itself to point prograde as soon as it enters viscous atmosphere. This isn't happening to anyone else? Could it be the same drag issue that was causing the 1-man capsule to flip out for people before the hotfix?

Edited by Captain Planet

Try deleting your whole VenStockRevamp folder in gamedata and put in the new one.

In my first bug post I said that was the first thing I tried.

Anyway if I'm the only one having this issue I won't take up more of the thread with it, tomorrow I'll do a mod-by-mod check and find out what's breaking stuff.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.