[1.2.2] Stock Part Revamp, Update 1.9.6. Released Source Files!

Ven

Ven, I saw your work in progress SLS engine cluster (S3 KS-25x4), and I was wondering something!

Could you possibly take one of the engines, make it a single motor on it's own (tankbutt-less) and have the power be between 600 to 800 (3200 / 4 is 800)? This would be ideal for those who are making space shuttles with the Mk3 Fuselage system.

I've got to say, while that new KR-2L looks great, and I think you should keep the model on hand, it definitely looks so very out of place for what it's supposed to be based on IRL.

Edit: As an aside I'm getting some very weird phantom forces whenever I load a craft that has turbojet engines clipped slightly into a wing. Only the turbojets cause this. Basic jets or rocket engines work just fine in the same position.

Edited by Matrix Aran

I have a question! I love these models; I also use Alchemy Technologies which has a number of different-sized engines using the LV-1 engine model from Squad. I want to try Ven's superior model instead. I've got the model replaced successfully, but cannot figure out what the .mbm texture dependency for it is; it doesn't load a texture ingame. In exchange for this information, I could cross-post a guide and a ModuleManager config in the Alchemy Technologies thread. By the way, I'm the same guy who wrote RealFuels configs for those probe-sized engines some time ago.

In any case, keep up the fantastic work, these parts (especially the various engines!) deserve their own parts set, I'd say!

I have a question! I love these models; I also use Alchemy Technologies which has a number of different-sized engines using the LV-1 engine model from Squad. I want to try Ven's superior model instead. I've got the model replaced successfully, but cannot figure out what the .mbm texture dependency for it is; it doesn't load a texture ingame. In exchange for this information, I could cross-post a guide and a ModuleManager config in the Alchemy Technologies thread. By the way, I'm the same guy who wrote RealFuels configs for those probe-sized engines some time ago.

In any case, keep up the fantastic work, these parts (especially the various engines!) deserve their own parts set, I'd say!

This should be really easy

@PART[LiquidFuelEngineLV03]
{
@MODEL
{
@model=VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/Engine/LV-1
!texture = DELETE
}
}

Should take care of the LV03 engine, just do that for all of them and it should be fine, scaling will remain the same, you're just telling it to use Vens model and to remove the call for a separate texture, this also means you should be able to go into the Alchemy Tech folder and remove all the models and textures for those which will help with RAM usage.

If this doesn't work then let me know, but it should work just fine.

Still no word on how to make the fairings work?

For yourself and others having trouble with fairings after the recent update, make sure to delete and reinstall the VenStockRevamp folder, as the recent changes to the MM config structure seem to cause some issues when simply overwriting.

Well, originally I never intended to redo the NASA parts, because they by all means looked decent, Until i saw this:

http://i.imgur.com/uCVRUdB.jpg?1

:mad:

Which then leads me to this: (no textures! Everything there is modeled!)

http://i.imgur.com/hZA6KRz.png

Kr-2L is on the far right, and I'm not really sure that I'm going in the right direction with it, thoughts?

(sorry for quoting and replying to something kinda old)

The engines you have as the Kr-2L seem to be some form of mix of the this earth departure stage concept and one of the centaur stages.

s982SXD.jpg

zAi52qS.jpg

The downside of this being that none of these look like they have the thrust to replace the Kr-2L (Though by all means, don't stop, it looks good, but should be it's own part)

The Kr-2L should remain a large, vacuum optimized single chambered rocket, i see two clear (american) choices, the RS-68, the engine the Delta IV uses, and the M-1, the proposed upper stage motor for the Nova and many Saturn-derived huge things. (the RD-0120 kinda also fits, though it's Russian, and thus out of place on the SLS.)

Anyway, i vote for the M-1, as the Kr-2L looks F-1 like, and the S3 KS-25x4 is being kept as RS-25s, using a single RS-68 as an upper stage motor would seem about right, though the Kr-2L has too much thrust for that, and is used as a first stage engine in many things, so i say use the M-1.

So, I've been working on a little something.

Criticism is welcomed :)

http://imgur.com/a/k3W4D

Glad to see someone else doing this!!! Ven asked me a couple weeks ago to do this and I told him I would, but between work and a couple other projects that I had already started for people I haven't had a chance to even start! This stuff is looking really good!

Looks pretty great to me. I love the Skipper. The LV-N definitely needs to be less pink, but the rest of the effect looks good.

I'd make the turbopump exhaust really light, less than the LV-T series, because I don't think a LV-N is going to have that big of a turbopump that you can see pink flames.

AND THESE ROCK! Can't wait for the Mainsail and SLS engine, not to mention the solid engines.

- - - Updated - - -

I would say don't get too exuberant in taking advantage of the colourisation ability SmokeScreen allows... tone back the saturation on the effects, but thats just me.

perhaps yes.

- - - Updated - - -

So, I've been working on a little something.

Criticism is welcomed :)

http://imgur.com/a/k3W4D

So I definitely think the blue on the Skipper needs to be toned down quite a bit there. And just for the record, the real life NERVA engine wasn't much less efficient in the atmosphere than on the ground, but to keep in line with the Isp almost makes sense. Until you realize that the superheated hydrogen isn't just going to sparkle in the nozzle, it's going to be really really hot. We don't know what NTRs look like in the vacuum of space, but we do know what they look like in the atmosphere.

Thanks everyone :D

Anyway, I'm already working to tone down some effects. The poodle/service engine which was again shaping to became a bit "pillar o' flames" style has became something more believable: full and half throttle, and the LV-909 has been brought to similar levels.

Naturally keep in mind that I don't have any control on the particle texture (this basically means everything, from colour (and alpha) to shape), and I can only choose a prefab model by Nazari and vary the rate of emission and transformation, so sometimes is hard to adapt a model to certain needs without getting the annoying "segmented" effect caused by excessive separation between the particle instances. Naturally I have a lot of wiggle room for tricks as the engines above demonstrated :P

I could make new models, or even HEX-edit the current ones (they are few bytes worth of vectors and texture names), but I'd rather keep it compatible with the standard hotrocket.

Another note about the LV-N: it's actually supposed to look purple-ish as Starbuckminsterfullerton schooled me here, however I'm already working to tone it down to a more reddish colour and less flashy in genral, since it's supposed to use not-much hydrogen. Also the turbopumps use the same hydrogen heated by the core, so it's not unrealistic to have plumes coming out from the exhausts (but I may have overdone it a bit :P )

Last but not least the mainsail is done, too. It may need some tweaking as it's a bit INFERNO-style, but it sort of fits. I didn't take any still screenshot because I'm dumb, I only have those snapped in a test flight. Which has shown that there is a weird trail to it, possibly the turbopump acting up. I'll check tomorrow however as I am pretty tired. Bonus skipper in the dark.

Edited by Sage
addin 1337 details

I noticed that the new O-25 and LV-1B engines don't have a fuel gauge displayed when activated, like engines normally do. No doubt a result of basing it on their stock inspirations, which still hasn't been fixed by Squad. Makes them less intuitive to use, so it'd be great if you could fix that. Also the O-25 doesn't have a bottom attach node. Is that intentional?

How bad is the RAM usage?

Cause I've pruned lots of stock parts to be able to run KSP with 150mb of mods on my ancient brick. Half of the fuel tanks (I have procedural), giant wheel, mk1 lander can, inline cockpit, material bay etc.

How bad is the RAM usage?

Cause I've pruned lots of stock parts to be able to run KSP with 150mb of mods on my ancient brick. Half of the fuel tanks (I have procedural), giant wheel, mk1 lander can, inline cockpit, material bay etc.

I don't think you are supposed to mod if you can't even run the base game without pruning stock stuff.... O-o

You misunderstood, it, I can run it well in stock. But starting with .25 I can't run nearly as many mods as before. I was able to run Kethane, B9, IR and a bunch of others in .22. Now I can only run 100mb of mods, so I prune stock parts to put extra 50mb of them in.

Ram usage is not that much higher than stock, just make sure to run the prune executable so that the game wont load stock textures and then of course remove the textures and models for the parts that you aren't using.

I noticed that the new O-25 and LV-1B engines don't have a fuel gauge displayed when activated, like engines normally do. No doubt a result of basing it on their stock inspirations, which still hasn't been fixed by Squad. Makes them less intuitive to use, so it'd be great if you could fix that. Also the O-25 doesn't have a bottom attach node. Is that intentional?

Here's a temporary fix. Hopefully these small issue will be fixed in a newer release. Download via my dropbox.

If someone doesn't trust the download, here's what the file contains so you can make your own fix:

@PART[LargeOMS]
{
@MODULE[ModuleEngines]
{
@PROPELLANT[MonoPropellant]
{
%DrawGauge = True
}
}
}

@PART[microEngine]
{
@MODULE[ModuleEngines]
{
@PROPELLANT[LiquidFuel]
{
%DrawGauge = True
}
}
}

Hope this helps :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.