[1.2.2] Stock Part Revamp, Update 1.9.6. Released Source Files!

Ven

I personally like Ven's intakes. If enough people like a stock-styled intake, though, there should be an option to switch between the two. Perhaps an "extras" folder?

That's not a bad idea. I actually don't have the new ven's installed -- waiting for the scaling fix; what do Ven's new intakes look like? (The old circular fan one was great, but I love the new stock one too...)

You could just copy the stock part.cfg that you want to keep and change the name within the config right? That way you have a duplicate part that isn't touched by MM.

I have tryed to do something similar to this. I have managed to import a few individual parts without replacing the stock ones, but the method I am using would be extremely time consuming to do for every part. If anyone who knows more about how to edit the Config files to not replace the stock parts could help I would appreciate it.

Edit:

Never mind, I am having problems with my tampering. It put the Ven parts on my saved ships and even after I put the stock one back on it switches back to the Ven models when I launch.

Edited by ShawnPhillips

After playing a bit more with the LV-T15, I have come to a few bits of critiscism.

1: I do like the superthrust.

2: It is a bit too efficient.

3: It needs to overheat waaaay more. I shouldn't be able to run it at more than 75% throttle without it coming dangerously close to overheating very quickly.

4: Make it unlock in basic rocketry, with the T30.

5: Make it have a texture change as ablator is used, like the heatshields.

Additionally, some thoughts on other stuff.

-The poodle's tankbutt for 2.5m parts disappears when reloading a quicksave.

-The KS-25 engine (and probably others) have too low gimbal. In stock, it's 4 degrees, not 1.

-KS-25 single engine should be given an even bigger gimbal (Space Shuttle Main Engine!)

-How about a KS-25x3 cluster built for Mk3 fuselages for Space Shuttles?

-The black on the Kerbodyne stuff isn't dark enough.

-There isn't enough black-striped-Saturn-like texturlyzation on the Kerbodyne Tanks.

-I would really like some Venalike 5m Kerbodyne tanks and engines. This would make the previous complaint null.

--Change the Mammoth to be an 8x cluster of H-1 like engines, such as the Saturn I and IB. No change in stats, just the appearance.

---Current Mammoth model used as a 5m Space Launch System cluster.

--Or use F-1-alike engine cluster.

--And a Rhino cluster to go along with it.

-The Mk1 Pod's top node isn't quite 0.625m.

-The Rockomax tanks should be made a bit darker (grey/silver, maybe even making use of texture replacer's reflections?)

-Mainsail doesn't work with its model anymore, as it is no longer efficient enough to be cryogenic like the Delta-IV. An F-1 engine might be a better model again, but not the F-1B. The current Mainsail model could be repurposed as a heavy lift engine for Kerbodyne size (the sleek, white casing enspecially!), as a heavy lifter in between the Mammoth cluster and the Rhino upper stage.

-I have to uninstall for now until the fleas and fuselages and such have fixed sizes.

-Can you make the heatshield grey? I think it would look better than the brown/orange one we have in stock.

-I like the grey tankbutts that are currently on the Orange tanks. I think they would look really really good on the 1.25m fuel tanks as opposed to the red/orange color.

-Black stripes on FL-T tanks!!!

EDIT: Also, I really really dislike the new girders. They are just not okay.

Another thing to bring up.

I believe Shaw once said that you could replace the Kerbal model as long as you used the same joints and animations and whatnot faithfully. Is it possible you could create a new spacesuit model and see if that can be put into the game?

Edited by GregroxMun

Back to report a bug. Tried a re-entry after a Mun mission, the shielding did not heat up and did not lose any ablative material. There also seems to be an issue that caused it to slow down far too slowly, and even when returning from a 200km orbit (periapsis at 25k) it would hit the water at close to 1000 m/s. Anyone else having similar issues?

Just quick bug report: Snapping points for the structural tri-coupler are misaligned in the 1.8. Great work Ven. Can't believe you modeled and textured all this new stuff so quickly!

- - - Updated - - -

Tri-coupler and tri-adapter.

EDIT: Also, I really really dislike the new girders. They are just not okay.

What don't you like about them? Besides the wires I think they look excellent.

Edit: Actually the paneled sides could be a bit wider so the Gigantor panels fit seamlessly.

Edited by I.O.M.

1.8 Feedback:

1. We really need a front indicator on the 2 Remote Guidance Units. The original textures had these, they were tiny writing on one side that wasn't on the other 3.

2. The Heavy Monopropellant Engine still has a tiny exhaust effect.

3. The Kerbal Safety Bubble just permanently traps your Kerbals since it has no hatch.

4. I think the new Mk1 Lander Can could be just a smidge darker.

Everything else is incredible! I think the new girders are very inspired, the new orange tanks look perfect, and the new docking ports are the best you've yet delivered, I don't think they can get any better than this. Thank you for your tireless efforts!

For all the extra parts in the "Part Bin" folder, where do they need to be moved to in order to have them available in-game?

They'll all work as is, and if you don't wan't or need the extra parts, you can just delete the entire folder. Just keep in mind that removing the extra parts dosn't save you that much RAM, as the parts use the same texture maps as the redone stock parts.

1.8 Feedback:

1. We really need a front indicator on the 2 Remote Guidance Units. The original textures had these, they were tiny writing on one side that wasn't on the other 3.

3. The Kerbal Safety Bubble just permanently traps your Kerbals since it has no hatch.

Everything else is incredible! I think the new girders are very inspired, the new orange tanks look perfect, and the new docking ports are the best you've yet delivered, I don't think they can get any better than this. Thank you for your tireless efforts!

1. Good point, I'll do that

2. That effect somehow got smaller... I'll try to fix that.

3. The hatches are on the ends of the pod, otherwise you'll need to transfer kerbals across the craft.

4. Maybe.

What don't you like about them? Besides the wires I think they look excellent.

Agreed. They're a big change, but I think they look a whole lot better now. Stock was just a few metal tubes welded together, the revamp should (and does) bring it into the space age.

I will note that the 1.25m heatshield looks odd when placed below the Mk1 pod. It should ideally sit flush against the bottom (maybe just need to change the attach node position of either one?). I do like the heatshield fairings though, they're snazzy.

I will note that the 1.25m heatshield looks odd when placed below the Mk1 pod. It should ideally sit flush against the bottom (maybe just need to change the attach node position of either one?). I do like the heatshield fairings though, they're snazzy.

I originally had it sitting flush with the MK1 pod, but that just ended up with the heatshield clipping too far into most other parts. Other that changing the MK1's bottom attach node (or stretching the model), there's no other way to fix that.

- - - Updated - - -

Few words about tankbutts:

https://monosnap.com/file/cL4vVjqtLMK1nuIJEzRzjfuVgTgreh.png https://monosnap.com/file/Glsb3LgiSyghX0wbA2wqIEbzTSWNj8.png

Ven, give us an option to disable/change them, please. BTW, if someone know how to do that manually - share your knowledge :)

There's two top nodes, the one further in is the one you are looking for for 0.625m.

I originally had it sitting flush with the MK1 pod, but that just ended up with the heatshield clipping too far into most other parts. Other that changing the MK1's bottom attach node (or stretching the model), there's no other way to fix that.

Hmm.. model stretching should be avoided, but the Mk1 bottom attach node.. the fix would be to move it further up, right? Because it sits a little too high on pretty much everything, moving the attach node further in would bring it closer, which would be good.. I mean, it's no big deal to offset it, but I can't remember how stock does it and I'm pretty certain that was flush.. is a simple retexture for the shield and capsule bottom doable? No model/attach node changing needed?

There's two top nodes, the one further in is the one you are looking for for 0.625m.

Is that the same for all applicable engines?

Anyone know how to fix the scaling bug? Have a bunch of parts that should be 1.25 but are somewhat smaller and now the attach nodes are off the ends. Namely, MK1 inline intake and fuselage. I know other's have mentioned it but I'm getting it for more than just MK1 parts. Curious if there's a fix for it.

So simple? Cool! Thank you for quick reply!

Maybe you should write something about this feature on the first page (in the part about engines). No doubt, someone will miss this feature, as me. Oh, wait. There is no description about 1.8 release :)

Anyone know how to fix the scaling bug? Have a bunch of parts that should be 1.25 but are somewhat smaller and now the attach nodes are off the ends. Namely, MK1 inline intake and fuselage. I know other's have mentioned it but I'm getting it for more than just MK1 parts. Curious if there's a fix for it.
Yes, and it has a fix capable of being done by mod makers, I believe adding a "rescaleFactor" line does this. this mod fixes it for stock parts, and that's how it does it.

Does this work? I don't have the time to check (I need to be up in 6 hours for an 11 hour shift, what am i even doing here..)

1.8 Feedback:

Where can I go to download the 1.8 version?

the model has to be made to the correct scale in the first place but if the part is configured to rescalefactor=1 it won't have the scaling bug (the default rescale factor when unlisted is 1.25 because "squad")

The issue is this: if you use MODEL nodes, then rescaleFactor must be set as "rescaleFactor = 1" in the cfg. NO EXCEPTIONS. Leaving it out means it's left at the default (1.25).

That doesn't mean you can't rescale stuff, you just need to use scale= x, y, z in the MODEL node, and then change the node positions as appropriate.

Does this work? I don't have the time to check (I need to be up in 6 hours for an 11 hour shift, what am i even doing here..)
the model has to be made to the correct scale in the first place but if the part is configured to rescalefactor=1 it won't have the scaling bug (the default rescale factor when unlisted is 1.25 because "squad")
The issue is this: if you use MODEL nodes, then rescaleFactor must be set as "rescaleFactor = 1" in the cfg. NO EXCEPTIONS. Leaving it out means it's left at the default (1.25).

That doesn't mean you can't rescale stuff, you just need to use scale= x, y, z in the MODEL node, and then change the node positions as appropriate.

Thanks All. I figured out that right before I read this post.

The only MK1 fuselage part that has the "Scale" field in MODEL is the intake, and it reads 1.0 by default. I change it to 1.25 and then copied that to the other MK1 parts (fuel tank and structural) and it works now. But, should I go and set the rescale factor instead of the scale line?

Where can I go to download the 1.8 version?

You can grab it here:

https://github.com/VenVen/Stock-Revamp

sq10 posted the link yesterday in this post (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92764-90-Stock-Part-Revamp-Update-1-7-2%21?p=1892530&viewfull=1#post1892530), but that was like 6 pages ago now. It isn't linked in the OP.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Ven, thanks for the reply earlier on my question regarding the extra parts. Could you let me know if anything has been done with the issues with the Texture Replacer mod and reflections? I had a lot of issues between Texture Replacer and your stock revamp a while back. Further info can be found here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/107471-1-0-TextureReplacer-2-4-%2828-4-2015%29-updated-for-1-0-legacyFemales-option?p=1786393&viewfull=1#post1786393

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/107471-1-0-TextureReplacer-2-4-%2828-4-2015%29-updated-for-1-0-legacyFemales-option?p=1786931&viewfull=1#post1786931

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/112939-GUI-loads-but-rest-of-screen-and-navball-are-black-KSP-stops-responding

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/112939-GUI-loads-but-rest-of-screen-and-navball-are-black-KSP-stops-responding?p=1787259&viewfull=1#post1787259

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.