[WIP] .25 - PaladinLabs Dev Thread - DeepFreeze cryonic crew storage - v.14

scottpaladin

So, I have set up a test scenario for the these mods: TAC 0.10, IFLS, Ioncross andSnacks! We assume we want to take a 5 year trip with 2 Kerbals using Kerbin timeframe, the different mods give us the following numbers:

IFLS:

1 Kerbal consumes 1 u/K-d, we would need 4260u of LS (426*2*5) -plus EC, but thats not considered now-, the included larger container holds 1000u, the smaller one 125u, meaning you would need 4 large and 2 small ones, weighing in at 23.425 tons. With added safety margin it would be 27.5t.

Snacks! with added Containers by Whyren:

Due to the randomized nature of consumption, it's rather difficult to assess the needed quantity. I tend to play it safe and will assume a wider safety margin. Kerbals consume ~1/2 snack /K-day, so one would need ~3000 snacks, equaling 3 of the largest container by Whyren, these amount to 12.375 tons

Ioncross (Starwaster's branch):

Ioncross focuses on O2/CO2-conversion. If you want to make the trip without reclaiming, you would need just 1 of the largest containers, at a striking 0.8tons. O.o

TAC, default containers:

One could tweak consumption etc., but for the purpose of this, I am staying with the default numbers (plus TAC tells you how many days you have in the build window). You need different resources plus space for waste managment or recyclers. For ~2800 days worth of LS plus Waste you'll get 4.71t.

Now to the real experiments :D

TAC, using the approximate 5 tons described above, gave me 6 years, 286 days of survival for 2 Kerbals, astounding weight/worth-ratio...and, of course very hard to beat...

Snacks!, at ~12tons was at 9 years, 70 days in this instance, I think we could be in the same ballpark for other trials

with IFLS it was nearest to the prediction, 5 years, 14 days at a rather heavy ~ 28 tons

for Ioncross I took that 1 can up, in 5 years and 14 days i used only about 7% of it (with an acitvated CO2-scrubber), so this mod seems a bit on the funny side

In summary: There does not seem to be a concise weight for LS, so everything goes. Personally I would go with TAC at ~5 tons, this seems to be a realistic choice...

Cheers

PS: I would be very glad if someone could verify these numbers

Edited by E.Nygma
Added information on experiments

In summary: There does not seem to be a concise weight for LS, so everything goes. Personally I would go with TAC at ~5 tons, this seems to be a realistic choice...

You are extremely helpful; thank you. From your numbers it's pretty clear that the weight of the glykerol consumed needs to be minimal. So I'll be switching to 5 liters per freeze (which fits with the model that this mostly for replacing fluid inside the kerbals). For your 5 kerbal crew you'd need 10 freeze events (provided everyone went under) or about .6t of glykerol and another 3.5t of dry weight for the part for a total payload weight of 4.1t. This would make the cryonic choice clearly cheaper for a couple of mod, and give us a slight edge on TAC. And the larger the crew and longer the journey, the more DeepFreeze should pull ahead.

That IVA resembles something from an old serial of Doctor Who.

I'll pass your compliments on to the artist.

I like the look of this. Combined with the KSP-I mod, life support mods, and extra-solar-system mods, this will make for a hell of an interesting game in my next exploration phase...

I'll do my best to be ready for you; it's slow going as I'm learning as I go.

Could you make the unit match the size (and look) of the side-pods of the IXS mod? The two go together (especially the non-warp capable stock version) like strawberries and cream.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92816-NASA-IXS-Class-Warpship-and-Spacedocks-For-KSP-I-and-Stock-KSP

Hm.. the ISX modules are 2.5 meter parts but they're a funny length. Comparing it to the stock mobile processing lab (same form factor as our big cryo chamber part) it looks like it's just longer. Huh, you're actually kind of getting a bad deal on some of these ISX parts, you could almost fit a regular mobile processing lab AND a hitchhiker container into the same place on the ship (the combo is maybe half a meter longer). As for look, the ISX stuff texture wise matches stock pretty closely. I'm reluctant to ask my artist to do a whole other model, but maybe a reskinned version of the ISX model might be best. No promises but I'll add it to the "nice to have" list on the design document.

I wouldn't sweat the model, there's plenty of room to tweak pod lengths with other stacked parts (cryofluid storage tanks for instance).

What has your artist in mind for textures? Stockalike, or something different? For a one - off part like this, something that fits a coherent style (either stock, B9 or LLL) is best, and I prefer stock in this case.

Edited by colmo

I wouldn't sweat the model, there's plenty of room to tweak pod lengths with other stacked parts (cryofluid storage tanks for instance).

What has your artist in mind for textures? Stockalike, or something different? For a one - off part like this, something that fits a coherent style (either stock, B9 or LLL) is best, and I prefer stock in this case.

Stockalike is our goal.

Love the idea behind this mod. I was watching a documentary on some medical procedures. It was a while ago but I remember a part where surgeons create a controlled hypothermia to increase the amount of time they have to complete a surgery. They do it by replacing blood with a saline solution which is just above freezing. It seemed like a very novel concept over encasing someone in a frozen state.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8024991/Patients-to-be-frozen-into-state-of-suspended-animation-for-surgery.html

I saw that you were trying to solve the weight issue and that might be an interesting way to do so. So they would only need enough of a solution to replace the blood of each kerbal. Of course right now they can't keep a person theoretically frozen indefinitely like this but it might one day in the future. So either way it's just an idea you might be able to make use of

Small update for anyone paying attention:

Coding is pretty well done for now. I still have to do a balance pass for electricty/glykerol usage, part mass and costs. If I have the time, I'll see about adding some sounds to the processes of freezing/thawing.

I'm poking my artist with a stick to get the part models done. Here's another WIP of the big canister's exterior:

QQgFwSu.png

On another front, I've been doing some coding for a couple of other part modules. Time will tell if I can get them working well enough to release but here's a gif of one of them:

rqLmhFq.jpg

Hi, its me again :)

Thanks for the good news! The model looks lovely, compliments to the artist :).

Quick question: Is integration with AVC/MiniAVC a planned feature? If not, may I suggest it? It helps so much in tracking mod-updates :D

Regards

Edited by E.Nygma

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.