[WIP] .25 - PaladinLabs Dev Thread - DeepFreeze cryonic crew storage - v.14

scottpaladin

Is this working in 0.90?

I'm working hard on the next release (among like 5 other spare time projects) to add the one kerbal Cryopod and some neat functionality with it; so I haven't really looked into how the currently released version plays with .90. I suspect it should be ok, but you never really know. If it looks like the next feature release will be too far off, I'll try to shoot for a more straight recompile of the .14 code with the beta DLLs and get that out to people.

- - - Updated - - -

Whoever tries it first let everyone else know :)

I am curious as well.

Is this working in 0.90?

I'm working hard on the next release (among like 5 other spare time projects) to add the one kerbal Cryopod and some neat functionality with it; so I haven't really looked into how the currently released version plays with .90. I suspect it should be ok, but you never really know. If it looks like the next feature release will be too far off, I'll try to shoot for a more straight recompile of the .14 code with the beta DLLs and get that out to people.

- - - Updated - - -

Whoever tries it first let everyone else know :)

I am curious as well.

Well then, I'll try it and report here later. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Just curious, and sorry if I missed the answer somewhere else, the way this mod works, will it also work for the snacks! mod?

From what I understand, this mod flatout remove the kerbal from your active crew on the craft, kind of like if they are dead(cryogenic sleep is kind of like dying anyway), then revive them when you retrieve them. So I think it would work with any mods that do things to active kerbals.

I would like to see this having KAS enabled radial tanks so you can resupply it at each stop along the way if you have sent resupply craft ahead of the main one or just mounted enough tanks to keep you going after each stop. One mission I did with Near Future in .25 was a kind of Grand Tour that would have stopped at every planet past the orbit of Kerbal. But now those plans are on hold as that set of mods updates to .90. But being able to wake your crew up at each stop would be nice if you have enough Glykerol stored (or get resupplied from ReMo's (Resupply Module)).

Also, different sized ones would be quite nice. But not just shorter 2.5m parts but also 3.75m one as well that can hold even more Kerbals.

Suggestion: Add a right-click option to "Thaw All Kerbals". Make it cost as much as thawing 10 Kerbals (unless you know how to make it cost only as how many there are frozen). It saves on clicking for every single Kerbal if you're building colony ships to different star systems. And, like the others noted, it would make this mod more compatible with RemoteTech. Right now, it's impossible to thaw someone as part of an action group, even with ActionGroupsExtended which allows you to edit action groups in flight after you've frozen someone and there is a right-click option to thaw them.

I'm really liking this mod so far and I'm excited to see where it goes.

Anyone try using the 1-Kerbal one as a life pod? Besides the freezing pod I would think it would only need 3,500 EC charge (it is 3,000 to freeze if I remember right), a probe core to control it without a pilot and provide torque, a single RTG or a couple of solar panels to replenish power, and a docking port.

A rescue mission could be unmanned and just dock to each pod and keep the Kerbals "on ice" until it gets back to Kerbin. Torque on the life pod could come in handy so you don't have to move the rescue ship around as much since you can switch to the life pod and point it's docking port at the rescue craft.

• 2 weeks later...
A rescue mission could be unmanned and just dock to each pod and keep the Kerbals "on ice" until it gets back to Kerbin. Torque on the life pod could come in handy so you don't have to move the rescue ship around as much since you can switch to the life pod and point it's docking port at the rescue craft.

I haven't tested this MM file but you could make Roverdude's lifepod into a cryopod.

+PART[USI_PodCapsule]:NEEDS[SrvPack,DeepFreeze]
{
@name = CryoPod

RESOURCE
{
name = Glykerol
amount = 10
maxAmount = 10
}
MODULE
{
name = DeepFreezer
FreezerSize = 1
IsCrewableWhenFull = false
ChargeRequired = 3000
ChargeRate = 30
}
MODULE
{
name = SimplePartModule
}
}

This works, but you'd also want too change the Title and Description of the new part.

Edited by bear67
tested it (fixed typo)

Now this is really interesting... Can I suggest: check if the resource is available before attempting the freeze. I noticed if you don't have enough electric charge it still attempts to draw it all until it runs out then aborts the freezing process.

This has probably been brought up as well - is it realistic once frozen there is no on-going/in-freeze resource requirements? such as ElectricCharge to keep monitoring station/processes running?

I've just started using this mod as a way to enable my mission to safely aerobrake without exposing sideway stuff to the plasma.

However I can't fit more than 2 Kerbals in one module, and after thawing I can't remove but one Kerbal out of it. Is it something that normally occurs when you use this mod in v0.9. or an usual glitch?

I've just started using this mod as a way to enable my mission to safely aerobrake without exposing sideway stuff to the plasma.

However I can't fit more than 2 Kerbals in one module, and after thawing I can't remove but one Kerbal out of it. Is it something that normally occurs when you use this mod in v0.9. or an usual glitch?

I'm using it in 0.90 without this issue.

Well assuming it's not a bug, some of the things you need to have are:

Enough power to freeze/defrost(check position of solar panels to sun); have enough Glykerol fluid; there is only room for one conscious Kerbal in the freezing module at a time; do you have a robotic probe core as well as a manned one.

Well that's all I can think of right now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.