[WIP] Karbonite Plus (K+) - a Karbonite Expansion

RoverDude

Introducing Karbonite Plus (K+) - New resources and parts for Karbonite

K+ adds new resource and gameplay elements as well as supporting parts to Karbonite. K+ requires Karbonite (not included) to use.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Enhancements and Changes included in K+

New resource:

Karborundum. Valuable and incredibly fuel efficient, but also very hard to get. It can be harvested on the surfaces of Eeloo and Eve, or by a solar collector within approximately 2000 meters of the sun's surface. Hats off to nli2work for his awesome rover-sized models, and for TMarkos for being awesome and collaborative!

New parts:

• Tiny radial Karbonite/Karborundum drill. 0.625m form factor, can be node or surface attached. Also KAS-portable!
  • Deployable Karborundum scanner (NOTE: Karborundum is only detectable on the surface, or at altitudes lower than approximately 500m over the terrain - so bring your Rovers and nape of the earth (NOE) flyers).
  • New fuel tank - the Karry Kan - great for small quantities of Karbonite or LFO. Comes in two sizes - a surface-mountable single Kan, and a double-Kan (great for the Packrat Rover).
  • Rover-sized generator, for powering your Karborundum operations on the fly. KASable, surface and stack attachable.
  • New radial tanks to store Karborundum in three sizes - a Jumbo radial tank, an inline tank cluster, as well as a 0.625m mini tank. The mini tank is KAS-enabled.
  • A Karborundum sample tank. Luxuriantly expensive, but saves you the trip to eeloo. Made for testing purposes. Warning: Will self-decouple and explode when empty! Hilarity may ensue.
  • A new particle collector with slightly better range (at the cost of efficiency and energy use), allowing it to skim the sun's surface picking up stray Karborundum particles.
  • The Karborundum Fusion Drive (in two sizes - 1.25m and 2.5m) Expensive, incredibly efficient, but require significant EC to operate, and runs on Karborundum.
  • A small but adorable 0.625m Karbonite engine. This one has the added benefit of taking some of the vented exhaust and converting it into monopropellant for later use.

Dev Note: The Karborundum engines are absolutely OP compared to stock engines (we're in KSPI territory with these), This is to balance the absurd difficulty in getting fuel for them. Tech tree wise, Karborundum-specific parts will be under Nuclear Propulsion. Karbonite bits will be under Fuel Systems.

Demo of the Fusion Drive

License: CC 4.0 Share Alike Non-Commercial Attribution

Download on GitHub: https://github.com/BobPalmer/KarbonitePlus/releases

Edited by RoverDude

Wow, really interesting concept here, really ties together aspects of the game that I had hoped to see and includes a highly motivating "reward" for mining vs normal launches. Love the idea, will have to try it when you release it. Might i ask how soon a release will be?

also, any plans for adding a custom exhaust animation for the fusion engine?

Edited by TheGatesofLogic

RoverDude, i have to say your Mods really do make me keep playing KSP! all of them... WELL DONE!!! With a side order of Awesomesauce!!!!

And now this little expansion pack for Karbonite.... Hope we aint gotta wait long for release :)

RoverDude, i have to say your Mods really do make me keep playing KSP! all of them... WELL DONE!!! With a side order of Awesomesauce!!!!

And now this little expansion pack for Karbonite.... Hope we aint gotta wait long for release :)

I'm down to part balancing and verifying attachment nodes. All of the plugin code was already released ;)

Awesome :) I would love to see some larger radial engines that share the same style.

Which style? I'll see what I can do

Will the cute cockpit also be included in this pack?

That's in the exploration pack (as it's a non-Karbonite bit) - the two packs are being released simultaneously.

• Deployable Karborundum scanner (NOTE: Karborundum is only detectable on the surface, or at altitudes lower than approximately 500m over the terrain - so bring your Rovers and nape of the earth (NOE) flyers).

I might have just the right craft for this.

i8xOhNp.png?1

Planning for something that can be assembled from containers like the packrat. Including different configurations, so one pair of wings should work on kerbin, and two more can be added to transport stuff or fly at duna. My first goal is a working configuration with existing parts. So far it flies like a charm, but balancing different variants will be tricky.

I might have just the right craft for this.

http://i.imgur.com/i8xOhNp.png?1

Planning for something that can be assembled from containers like the packrat. Including different configurations, so one pair of wings should work on kerbin, and two more can be added to transport stuff or fly at duna. My first goal is a working configuration with existing parts. So far it flies like a charm, but balancing different variants will be tricky.

That's a cute little plane you got there.

That's in the exploration pack (as it's a non-Karbonite bit) - the two packs are being released simultaneously.
What will the exploration pack have, besides the cute cockpit? :D

And is there an ETA on both karb+ and the explo-pack?

What will the exploration pack have, besides the cute cockpit? :D

And is there an ETA on both karb+ and the explo-pack?

Lesse... a slightly larger packrat rover, the cute cockpit, a cargo rack, the tiny RCS block, tiny ducted fan electric props, a tiny RCS tank model (it's done as a pair of tanks) and a structural outrigger. Will need to check my dev folder when I get home, but that's the gist of it. Basically any part that is not a Karbonite-specific one will go in there. It's designed as a stand-alone pack. May build a micro-SAS too (in 0.625m form factor)

Yay, I'm looking forward to it. Especially the cute cockpit :D

Btw: You captioned a screenshot with a tiny craft including the cockpit as "presenting the smalles freighter"... I have to disagree :D

A while ago (no screenshot, hoster doesn't exist anymore) I built this: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/56214-Stock-ish-Ant-Micro-Utility-Rover ... even smaller freighter :P

I will just mention here in case anyone else has the same problem - I experienced issues with K+ locking the game on the loading screen. Updating from Karbonite 0.3.3 to 0.3.4 seems to have fixed the problem, though!

I will just mention here in case anyone else has the same problem - I experienced issues with K+ locking the game on the loading screen. Updating from Karbonite 0.3.3 to 0.3.4 seems to have fixed the problem, though!

Thank you ! I was just about to send a message on this thread ! :)