[WIP] Karbonite Plus (K+) - a Karbonite Expansion

RoverDude

Using Karbonite 0.3.4, I'm getting the following log spam when attempting to use the Karborundum detector and drill:

[EXC 01:13:08.225] MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'OpenResourceSystem.ORSPlanetaryResourceMapData.get_getPlaneteryResourceMapData'.

I'm not going to file a real bug report until I determine whether or not this is a conflict with another mod (unionfs makes this kind of test easy, I'm just waiting for KSP to finish starting).

Edit: It does appear to be a conflict with another mod, time to start uncommenting entries in the unionfs mount script until it breaks again...

Edit2: Traced it back to a bad KSPI Lite update. 0.12exp works for me, 0.12.2 and 0.12.3 don't.

Edited by Fail-Man 3D
Solved

hey for me the parts dont work. they stop loading when it gets to one of the configs. also, why have assets and part.cfg in different folders, instead of using standard ksp way of loading. i also heard {model} is unreliable and buggy.

hey for me the parts dont work. they stop loading when it gets to one of the configs. also, why have assets and part.cfg in different folders, instead of using standard ksp way of loading. i also heard {model} is unreliable and buggy.

Because I know he'll ask:

What KSP version are you using? Do you have any logs?

Screenshot of your GameData folder and your USI folder?

Model nodes are perfectly fine. The mod setup is like that for a reason. And given that it works for most everyone else, we now get to go down the magical journey of figuring out what you have not told me. So as noted below... how about KSP version? What config? etc.

• Deployable Karborundum scanner (NOTE: Karborundum is only detectable on the surface, or at altitudes lower than approximately 500m over the terrain - so bring your Rovers and nape of the earth (NOE) flyers).

Just to clarify, is this Karborundum only available on Eeloo and <2km solar orbit? Or should I start buzzing around Kerbin (and other locales) with this mast sticking out of my plane?

• 3 weeks later...

I've noticed my 2 smaller Fusion drives appear to have a problem with their attachment nodes. There's a large gap both above and below them. The largest (2.5m) fusion drive appears to be okay.

http://imgur.com/a/hW5mL

Any idea why or how to fix it? I'm pretty sure I'm running the latest version of everything, as the addon-version checker doesn't seem to be complaining about any USI mods. K+ is at version 2.1.

• 3 weeks later...

The RAT-625-B doesnt want to be radial attached. Tried to check the CFG files, but the file named after the RAT-625-B doesn't correspond with the values given to the booster ingame.

So not sure what is happening there. Anyone else experiencing the same? I'll test more tomorrow, too tired and too drunk to bother tonight :)

The RAT-625-B doesnt want to be radial attached. Tried to check the CFG files, but the file named after the RAT-625-B doesn't correspond with the values given to the booster ingame.

So not sure what is happening there. Anyone else experiencing the same? I'll test more tomorrow, too tired and too drunk to bother tonight :)

First I have heard of this - do me a favor, verify and log a github issue if it persists.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New resource:

Karborundum. Valuable and incredibly fuel efficient, but also very hard to get. It can be harvested on the surfaces of Eeloo and Eve, or by a solar collector within approximately 2000 meters of the sun's surface.

im asuming you just threw the bolded in there as a joke?

i mean seriously, i could actually find planning collection missions to near solar orbit to be challenging and fun, but 2000m? nothing could survive that.

You're fine down to ~1.3km, or at least thats what the wiki says. I didn't go any lower than 1500m so don't actually know.

Also I'm pretty sure this is a bug - when you switch to another craft or go back to space center, the collectors keep collecting at the rate that it last had. While its great that they still work while I'm not actively at the collecting craft (orbital collecting would be really impractical otherwise), they should also consider the craft dipping in and out of the collectable elevation. For example, I approached kerbol with a bi-elliptical maneuver and didn't have enough fuel to round it out so each time I went around kerbol, I spent ~5 seconds below 2000m and a whole year above it but if I exited to space station at just the right moment, the craft kept collecting just as it was below 2000m all the time.

I did have a question about detecting karborundum on eve/eelo though, I sent a scout plane to eve with the mini detector thingy. Flew around for 20 min's below 500m (granted, at ~50m/s due to the atmosphere so I only covered ~60km) but didn't see anything. I was expecting to find a giant colorful egg thingy like with the karbonite detector or should I be looking for something else? Also the karborundum reading kept saying 0.89% while flying but as soon as I landed it was 0. Anyways, if karborundum is as scattered as karbonite is and you have to detect it below 500m, It would be nearly impossible to find on eve in a reasonable amount of time.

@BobsYerUncle - no joke. It's solar skimming. It works ;)

@Hazarada - I'll take a look. There are no beachballs by design, and it is pretty scarce on Eve since it also has Karbonite and would be a bit too easy ;) Like Eeloo, there's a pattern and once you sort that out it should be easy to find in large quantities.