No Man's Sky. Ultimate Space Game???

flamango247

• 5 months later...

NMS does promise a lot, but it may well deliver.

1. It's already won a design award. Some of us (including me) admire its art style, straight out of the 1950s & 1960s Colliers Magazine.

2. It's multiplayer, but the universe is vast. 2^64 star systems. That's 1.8 with 19 zeroes after it. Or, 100 billion times as many stars as our Milky Way galaxy. You are far more likely to encounter a system already explored (and named) by another player than you are to randomly stumble upon another player. So it won't be Eve all over again.

3. The lead programmer / founder of Hello Games grew up playing "Elite" so he's inspired by that series, but isn't making something exactly like Elite.

4. So what do you do in NMS? I'm going to fly everywhere and see how many new and compelling planets (some with complex life!) I can find. Kind of like what Kerbals would do once they "graduate" to warp drive engines. One could also see this as a trading / resource gathering / pirate combat game, but those aspects will be mostly PvE and hence not as interesting. But perhaps these elements will spice things up a shade, make this more interesting than "Space Engine."

I for one am really looking forward to this. I'll even purchase a new PS4 or PC when released in order to play it properly.

Seems like a Space Engine clone to me, with resource gathering, space battles, et cetera, added on.

Plus, I doubt the PS4 will be able to handle it, if it runs at all like SE.

It looks a lot like what Space Engine promises to be if it gets all it's funding. The game might be cool, but I'm not an FPS player, and I like my physics at least somewhat realistic. Not really for me.

It looks a lot like what Space Engine promises to be if it gets all it's funding. The game might be cool, but I'm not an FPS player, and I like my physics at least somewhat realistic. Not really for me.

All my this.

It's not going to have N-body simulation?! What?! How can you make a procedurally generated space game without N-body simulation?!

SC and NMS are so different, hard to compare them.

SC has extremely detailed ships / combat and focuses on people interacting with people, but in space, so... FPS, ship combat, trading, missions.

NMS is a huge, detailed universe (truly vast) where the point is to discover nice things such as life forms. There are ships, combat and trading but those seem more an afterthought. With even the music, ships and place names procedurally generated, NMS feels more a relaxing, contemplative exploration than a "game."

I decided a while back I was totally done with space games that do WWII aircraft combat. If your game has a "spaceship" that has a top speed, has to run the engine to maintain that speed, banks into turns, and only fires it's weapons in the direction where the nose is pointed, then it's a WWII airplane and you won't get my money.

When I'm in the mood to dogfight with machine guns, there are plenty of flight sims that do it better. Give me something NEW!

• 2 months later...

It looks nice, but I can't really say I know anything more about the game after watching the E3 video than I did after reading the first page of this thread (the first I'd heard of it). From what I can tell, I think I'll stick to space engineers. It's never going to have procedurally generated wildlife (that would be neat though), but I'm more inclined to ship construction in my space games as a matter of preference.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.