KSP in a AP Plysics classroom ideas?

TheAwer

Since there is limited time, I say that you design the simplest and easiest-to-orbit craft you can come up with (with lots of control authority so it's not an issue). Give instructions to the class how to build it, tell them the basic controls, and have the class play around with it for some short time, maybe to try to get it in orbit. Then show them a step-by-step of how to get it in orbit. This is assuming they all have computers, of course.

Basically, a short tutorial of how to get to orbit. Just succeeding in that will tell them a lot about how all this works.

I wouldn't mess with mechjeb or even engineer redux. It will just confuse and scare the hell out of everybody. Just make sure the damn thing can reach orbit. Mechjeb and engineer only are useful once you start getting into details and are interested in optimizing the rocket.

The point is to show them only the most interesting stuff to get them hooked and explore the issue themselves. Don't bore them with the details.

If the class is all about orbital mechanics, I don't think you should bother launching (ie, start from orbit). Then you can show how a change in velocity changes the orbit (ie. lowering, raising periapsis). Show what a burn in each of the 6 directions does to the orbit (which can be related back to math behind the orbital stuff, including doing some vector additions). Then you can do a simple transfer to the Mun.

You can probably even use the built-in tutorial missions for this.

To me, there are two strong general approaches that can be taken that ensure relevancy to the course material.

The first is an applied physics approach, in which you look at ways basic physical laws create complex and interesting systems (even when simplified to two bodies). Apply as much math to this approach as desire and/or appropriate.

The second approach is a more engineering-oriented concept, in which you treat KSP as an opportunity to get students thinking about the design and experimentation process. Here, you sacrifice emphasis on the physical laws and instead give them specific challenges to solve from a reasonable starting point.

I can think of other approaches--and many have been named on this thread--but having been both a student and instructor of AP Physics class, I strongly urge you to keep time considerations on the top of your head. Focus on the approaches that will give the best fun-lesson-for-time ratio, rather than sharing as much of KSP as possible (while tempting!).

I know we're all really looking forward to hearing how it goes! Please keep us updates regarding your efforts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.