EVE online?

WhiteWeasel

At first I didn't like it, but looking back on it I really want to try it out. Though I have never played an MMO before. EVE has a reputation of being unforgiving of mistakes to I've scooped up every tutorial I can find. Including EVElopedia, Scott manley, johnny pew, and

. Yes, I'm very well aware that losses count in EVE. But there is something about this space sandbox that looks really interesting.

Why am I asking this on the KSP forums instead the EVE forums? I want to see what other outsider opinions are!

Its been a good long while since I last had an active account. If I ever dig myself out of poverty, I might consider going back again. I had a regular one man mining operation with all that any miner could hope for. I didnt just mine though. I had a good 3 years in or more. You NEVER stop learning there. The vastness of the Eve universe is so great, no one person will ever in normal game play ever visit every system. There is just too many places and not enough time. That would be if you could actually go everywhere without being killed.

There is practically no limit as to what you can do. AND most important thing I am going to say in this post, there is no where that is actually safe. Its a dangerous vicious world and it is unforgiving. Just being in the wrong place at the wrong time, even in hisec is no guarantee that you cannot be killed. When you log into Eve, you better have your A game going. B game dont get it. I will never ever forget going to the jumpgate the first time. I sat there for a good long while contemplating if I should click that button and wondering if I would EVER find my way back. Ive been to losec but I never went to 0.0 because going there on your own is just a death wish. Heck, just going to Jita was risky business and thats in the middle of hisec.

The sheer vastness of the Eve world is daunting. You will likely never play anything else like it ever. And oh ya, it will suck you in and you might not ever see daylight again. lol :)

I would say that Red Iron's graph is very accurate. rotfl Love that graph man. :)

Edited by Kevin Kyle

Eve is only worth playing if you think real life somehow isn't stressful enough to be entertaining.

It's a bit TOO much like real life. And that's saying a lot, considering it's basically Star Wars in a capitalist-extremist (is that even a thing?) world.

Ooh! An EVE thread!

I play(ed) EVE for several months about a year ago before I more or less quit. Not necessarily for good, though; I may go back if someday I decide I really want to and I think I can afford the investment of either time or money.

Anyway, what I have to say is that while it isn't terribly hard to become self-sustaining so you don't have to deal with that subscription business, until you get really established (i.e. you have bases and so on) it'll take so much time grinding money that you may burn yourself out and lose interest. That, and the old saying that EVE consists of two kinds of people: those who build sand castles and those who knock them down. Never forget this: EVE is half a game about building said sand castles, AND a game about knocking them down, depending on who you are. People will come and break your stuff just like those Creepers in Minecraft. Having a hit list won't really amount to anything, especially the way CCP runs the system. If you have money (or one of the aforementioned well-established characters), it's easy to buy ships, blow up people's stuff and make a name for yourself as a big uh... expletive, and then when they come back for "revenge" buy more ships and blow them up again all while laughing maniacally (or so I imagine they do). Build sand castles at your own risk, and don't think of those people as people - think of them as mobs.

Also, EVE is a BLACK HOLE for free time. Maintain some self-awareness if you have a family, a career, or grades to worry about.

If all this just sounds exciting to you, then go for it and EVE will be a very rewarding experience. If not, maybe go for it anyway so you can at least have tasted the experience, but don't spend too much money and be prepared for it to lose its charm after a while.

Incidentally, is there a KSP corp in there, or does anyone want to form one? (Yes I do intend to make this topic its own thread if there's any interest)

I first picked up EVE back in 2004, and still return to it periodically. It's a fun game, and I really appreciate how scalable the appeal is: if you only have a few hours a week, you can still enjoy mining and manufacturing with minimal impact of lost time, thanks to the skill training model. It's also more flexible, in that (outside of null sec, at least) you can start mining, go change your kid's diaper, flip the burgers for dinner, and return in time to refine.

Of course, there are much more hardcore ways to play. My corp has never really scale up that much, but all of the devious territorial struggles have always fascinated me. It would be fun, I'm sure, I just don't have that kind of time.

Ooh! An EVE thread!

I play(ed) EVE for several months about a year ago before I more or less quit. Not necessarily for good, though; I may go back if someday I decide I really want to and I think I can afford the investment of either time or money.

Anyway, what I have to say is that while it isn't terribly hard to become self-sustaining so you don't have to deal with that subscription business, until you get really established (i.e. you have bases and so on) it'll take so much time grinding money that you may burn yourself out and lose interest. That, and the old saying that EVE consists of two kinds of people: those who build sand castles and those who knock them down. Never forget this: EVE is half a game about building said sand castles, AND a game about knocking them down, depending on who you are. People will come and break your stuff just like those Creepers in Minecraft. Having a hit list won't really amount to anything, especially the way CCP runs the system. If you have money (or one of the aforementioned well-established characters), it's easy to buy ships, blow up people's stuff and make a name for yourself as a big uh... expletive, and then when they come back for "revenge" buy more ships and blow them up again all while laughing maniacally (or so I imagine they do). Build sand castles at your own risk, and don't think of those people as people - think of them as mobs.

Also, EVE is a BLACK HOLE for free time. Maintain some self-awareness if you have a family, a career, or grades to worry about.

If all this just sounds exciting to you, then go for it and EVE will be a very rewarding experience. If not, maybe go for it anyway so you can at least have tasted the experience, but don't spend too much money and be prepared for it to lose its charm after a while.

Incidentally, is there a KSP corp in there, or does anyone want to form one? (Yes I do intend to make this topic its own thread if there's any interest)

I do have a corporation, C7 Areospace, I am currently the only member, but any KSP players can join if they want!

I wanted as many opinions as possible so I had posted the same thread on Terraria Online to see what they think about it too.

Here are some ramblings on eve. If you want clarification or have any specific questions, I'll be happy to elaborate.

Evelopedia is all to commonly outdated, you would be better served checking out Eve University for information.

Iv'e been following seamus donohue of eve university and jonny pews explorers log to see what the universe is like and all the dangers associated with it.

A lot of detractors call it a game of spreadsheets and while that is meant to be insulting, it is also a fairly accurate description of the type of game it is. There are a million pieces of information and it is the player's responsibility to figure out what is important and what isn't. If you are going to play, then you will want to download one or more third-party applications, such as EveMon (get it, it is invaluable), the Eve Fitting Tool (can help if you want to check out different ship loadouts from outside the client), and one or more career specific tools (like things that gather and order market data, or calculate earnings/hour for various things, and stuff like that, hell, if you are a programmer, you'll probably write a few small things yourself using one of the eve apis).

That'll help a lot.

There is NO hand holding in eve, you live and die through your own actions and you will die. Let me repeat that for everyone, YOU WILL DIE. The number one rule in eve is, "Don't fly anything you can't afford to lose", because at some point, you will lose it.
In-game theft, ganking, and scamming is completely allowed. If it sounds to good to be true, then it most certainly is. This is a game where the goons have been a major force for years and even some of the devs are goons, so that should give an idea of how dickish other players can be. People will destroy your .... for the 'lulz' and no one will have a problem with it. One side will laugh at your loss and the other will say you should have known better (and if reading what I'm saying isn't enough, I'll be clear, you should have known better, why were you flying an untanked mining ship in the first place, it is your own fault).
I don't plan on going near low, and certainly nullsec until I become a experienced capsuleer. But as for the ganking (suicide ganking thanks to Concor'dokken!!!). I'll Be sure the valuables i'm are carrying in my ship are not worth getting killed over. (I.E lots and lots small trips.) As well as the ship itself if it is rare, If I somehow got one I wouldn't fly an event prize ship. And about scamming. The ones like renaming ships to look like something else, "Give me X ISK and I'll double it for free!", the ones where you have to contract your ships to join a corporation, margin trading, having people gank you when you go to pick up your item in that system (typically in low and 0.0) when you undock, everything posted in public chat, goes quadruple for that in Jita, are the painfully obvious ones. It's scams that look like a regular deal that worry me. Malice of the doubt or scammer until proven otherwise is my mindset for EVE.
I know you said you understand that "losses count in EVE", but you really don't. I'm sure you get the concept, but until you have been warp scrambled (stopped from being able to warp out of a battle) by a NPC frigate flying to close to hit with your battleship's guns and had to sit helpless as you watch your 700,000,000 isk (in-game currency, roughly equivalent to $15 USD) ship get blown to pieces, you really can't truly understand. That is why everyone in the eve community will repeat this same .... over and over and over. Leading into my next point, stuff in eve takes time and effort in a way that most MMOs don't, making players strongly invested in what they have, not just in time and money, but also in thought and planning.

Ok, maybe I don't understand, but what I also don't understand is why were you flying a battleship by yourself! Unless EVE has a serious departure from conventional tactics and role of a battleship, they work optimally when they are there to bolster a large fleets standing, or as the spine of a small fleet. Any battleship that I know of should be accompanied by supporting vessels.

You better be patient. In eve, nothing good ever happens quickly. I'm currently at a point where my quickest skill takes 8 to 12 days to learn. My freighter (basically the largest cargo ship) takes half a minute to warp and over a minute to cross an average sized star system. It is easy to get into the game in those first few months where anything you want to do is only going to take a few days to reach, but after that it will start taking weeks to months to fly a new ship or increase your stats and a lot of people lose interest at that point. That said, I recommend anyone interested at least try the first free month, even if you don't re-up, you'll have some fun running the low level missions, getting new ships, and interacting with the other people.
The impatient, greedy, and people ignorant of their surrounding seem to be what is capitalized on by pirates and ambushers. I'm not saying that I will be safe, but I will probably be lower down on the attackers hit list if there are more juicy/easy targets around. I can't be safe in EVE, but I can do things to minimize my exposure to danger. "The world is tough place to live, but it's even worse if you're stupid."
It is a good idea to join a corp (guild) when you start out. I'm a staunch solo pilot and have never joined a corp, but I'm the type of person that can and will turn any multiplayer game into a single player experience, so solo is not for everyone or even most people. It is a long, grueling, and silent process, just the way I personally like it.

They have recently instituted a policy of releasing major updates every six weeks (and actually employing enough development teams to handle that schedule), so things have been changing and improving quite a lot over the past few months. It is definitly and interesting and fun time to be playing.

Hope you decide to give it a shot. :)

The reason I want to try EVE online is because that I have this issue that shows up in games, of not going out of my comfort zone. I always try to manipulate my surroundings to make thing easier for me because I don't want to lose. I could probably tackle hard in a game, but I play on normal. It's a mental failing of being sheltered that I need to get rid of. Not only that, but it stunts my psychological growth. I'm smart for people of my age, but if I don't push myself to my limit because of laziness or fear of being wrong, I could pull a mental tortoise and the hare and be off even worse than failing. Even if you have all of the knowledge, experience, and ships that one could know about in EVE, one still will never be in absolute control of any situation.

tumblr_n1h5banOQE1rn4ocio1_250.jpg

I will die in EVE, probably a lot. I have quite a bit of common sense, and glad for that as my ordeal might not be as severe as others, but I want to put my money where my mouth is and prove myself wrong, as I can't foresee every trap, gank, and scam. I want to learn to cope with failure. To be able pick up the pieces of my mistake and continue onwards rather than beating myself up for failing.

I want to play EVE so I can better myself as an individual. A philosophical trial of my character, to get a taste of reality so I am better prepared to deal with the cold lessons in life beyond New Eden, which can be infinitely more unfair.

• 2 weeks later...

I started Eve in 07 and still play it off and on. It's by far one of my favorite games ever. Unfortunately it just takes too much time to play when I have to concentrate on getting a degree. 100% awesome game if you learn how the game is really played. I saw someone complain about the subscription. I played regularly with at least 2 accounts for about 4 years. I only paid for my subscription of 1 account for my first year playing. After that, make enough isk and you play for free :)

Be smart, people(like me) will kill you.

Fly safe \o

A Friend recommended it once or twice to me. And it looks a very tempting game. Fly in space, do whatever you want.

However I have never played and never will play anything that has monthly payments. Also I don't like multiplayer games so much.

You can't adjust the eccentricity or inclination of your orbits, closer orbits aren't faster, no oberth effect... :P

I played it for a while, didn't pay a dime, got tired of farming incursions, spent more time on RL and KSP... my account in currently inactive, but has nearly a years worth of plex sitting in the hangar. (I did wormhole stuff, and some low sec roams, but to keep buying monthly plexes, and replacing losses... and buying shiny toys, lots of incursion running)

I may reactivate my account, or do a giveaway... haven't decided yet.... I've got a pretty pimped out Nightmare for running with ISN. I also had 1 of every sub capital ship (aside from the special issue tournament prize ships), but then they added navy issue BCs, and another pirate faction...

I also have a carrier sitting around doing nothing, I don't quite have the skill points needed to fly it yet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.