[1.4.0] GCMonitor 1.4.8.0 - A graphic Memory monitor (Marsh 9th 2018)

sarbian

Exactly this. The one I display is the one that trigger the game crash when it reaches 4GB. The one in the task manager is more representative of the memory used in your RAM but less useful for anticipating the crash. Since knowing when the crash is important for the 32bit build I chose to display that value.
I may change it with KSP 1.1 when/if we get an official and stable 64bit KSP build.

Is there a mod like this one but one that splits out the information per mod?  If I've got, say, 20 mods installed, and it's running out of memory a lot, it would be handy to be able to identify which of the mods is the one causing the most memory footprint, without having to go through the painful process of removing mods one at a time and re-launching the game.  (Also, it might not start grabbing the memory right away on the loading screen, and not grab it until some event happens in play, so its not enough to just load the game and look at the footprint -you'd have to play it a long time under each configuration to really see which mod is the one grabbing the most memory.)

Edited by Steven Mading

56 minutes ago, Steven Mading said:

Is there a mod like this one but one that splits out the information per mod?  If I've got, say, 20 mods installed, and it's running out of memory a lot, it would be handy to be able to identify which of the mods is the one causing the most memory footprint, without having to go through the painful process of removing mods one at a time and re-launching the game.  (Also, it might not start grabbing the memory right away on the loading screen, and not grab it until some event happens in play, so its not enough to just load the game and look at the footprint -you'd have to play it a long time under each configuration to really see which mod is the one grabbing the most memory.)

This would be a great bit of info to have! I use GC Monitor all the time - in fact, on Sunday I went through an exercise of loading each add-on one at a time, loading the game, and noting the memory usage as the add-on list built.  I didn't find any one add-on that greatly spiked memory usage, but something that monitors add-ons while I'm playing and logs their memory usage would be great!

1 hour ago, Amgrod said:

This would be a great bit of info to have! I use GC Monitor all the time - in fact, on Sunday I went through an exercise of loading each add-on one at a time, loading the game, and noting the memory usage as the add-on list built.  I didn't find any one add-on that greatly spiked memory usage, but something that monitors add-ons while I'm playing and logs their memory usage would be great!

I've asked this question before, apparently there isn't a way to do that.

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I've asked this question before, apparently there isn't a way to do that.

There's no way to do exactly that, as there's no clear memory boundary between add-ons, but maybe it's possible to count instances of add-on classes and figure out who is responsible.

nope.

The best I have is an other mod I wrote call BeanCounter that count Unity object and I sure won't release build to people who don't know what they are looking at. You can't get the memory size of a Unity object outside the Editor or running in Dev mode. And mono don't give any info that I know.

6 hours ago, sarbian said:

nope.

The best I have is an other mod I wrote call BeanCounter that count Unity object and I sure won't release build to people who don't know what they are looking at. You can't get the memory size of a Unity object outside the Editor or running in Dev mode. And mono don't give any info that I know.

That's unfortunate, but not unexpected.  Thanks for the response and keep up the good work on GC Monitor!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just a quick bug report: on Linux 64-bit KSP 1.0.5, GCMonitor 1.3.0 shows VIRT correctly, but RSS (if enabled in the options window) is stuck at 1 MB. GCMonitor 1.2.7, which used to report only RSS, reported it correctly.

Also, thanks for the work! The new GCMonitor with its VIRT display is much more convenient for predicting Unity crashes than running htop in a background terminal window and switching back and forth. :)

(The 16GB VIRT limit just makes me wonder where the Unity devs got the 34-bit pointers...)

21 minutes ago, Technologicat said:

Hi,

Just a quick bug report: on Linux 64-bit KSP 1.0.5, GCMonitor 1.3.0 shows VIRT correctly, but RSS (if enabled in the options window) is stuck at 1 MB. GCMonitor 1.2.7, which used to report only RSS, reported it correctly.

Also, thanks for the work! The new GCMonitor with its VIRT display is much more convenient for predicting Unity crashes than running htop in a background terminal window and switching back and forth. :)

(The 16GB VIRT limit just makes me wonder where the Unity devs got the 34-bit pointers...)

I don't think I ll revisit that before 1.1 when I will keep only VIRT for all platforms (hopefully OSX won't get stuck on 32bit)

Unity crash at 16GB or I GC Monitor display a limit of 16 ? I may have just limited what I display because a proper 64bit limit is a bit large to display :wink:

2 hours ago, sarbian said:

I don't think I ll revisit that before 1.1 when I will keep only VIRT for all platforms (hopefully OSX won't get stuck on 32bit)

Unity crash at 16GB or I GC Monitor display a limit of 16 ? I may have just limited what I display because a proper 64bit limit is a bit large to display :wink:

Ok, fair enough. I think I may stay on 1.0.5 for some time, as I suspect it'll take a while for the modders to update their creations :)

There are some nice little old ones, such as SpeedUnitChanger, which has been abandoned since KSP 0.24.2, but which still happens to work in KSP 1.0.5. Rockets I'm fine with m/s, but cars are supposed to go km/h!

(I may need to cave in and install MonoDevelop if some small but important abandoned plugin stops working due to the upcoming UI overhaul in 1.1...)

I meant that Unity crashes at 16GB VIRT (also noted here and here). In my experience, RSS at that point is typically less than 8GB. (Running with 100+ mods including some large ones such as Mark IV Spaceplane System, Scatterer, EVE, DSEV, Buffalo, Near Future, SpaceY, ASET, etc.)

@sarbian: Great tool!

Two suggestions:

1. Is it possible to show the used RAM/FPS within the toolbar icon instead of the "mem", maybe optionalize linking the overlay position to the (just black) icon position? Maybe showing the RAM usage with 2 digits only, like 2.8GB?
2. Is it possible to allow changing the coordinates in the config window by typing in the desired value instead of clicking - and + ? Or at least activating a fast forward when keeping - and + pressed, would be especially great for very high resolution setups?

Edited by Yemo

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, gamerscircle said:

KSP Add On Version Checking today started to tell me that GCMonitor was built to run on KSP 1.0.4 and I have 1.3.2 installed. [sorry, I was looking at something else on that orig ver that I was reporting)

I forgot to update the KSP version in the version checker file. It should not do it anymore now (no need to download again). I need to rewrite the scripts that generate those...

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, sarbian said:

My ideas on 1.1 are under NDA. As you perfectly know.

I thought my question wouldn't be covered by it, but fair enough. Also, roverdude said that his stuff was now prepped for 1.1 release, so, that's pretty much why I thought it would be okay.

At most, it'd probably just need an API and version file update. Not critical or anything since theres other tools I can use to help monitor memory usage.

Edited by smjjames

37 minutes ago, smjjames said:

At most, it'd probably just need an API and version file update

You are that guy who write to the IT dep asking for an easy change, right ?

Edited by sarbian

Here is 1.4.0 for the KSP 1.1 pre release. It is 100% old UI free but need some polish. Also include some bug fix for x64 memory and various improvements. The main UI will not open before about 50% in the loading screen.

I also noticed I left some testing code so I suggest you stay away from ALT K unless you want your game (and potentially your PC) to crash after a few minutes.

2 hours ago, sarbian said:

Here is 1.4.0 for the KSP 1.1 pre release. It is 100% old UI free but need some polish. Also include some bug fix for x64 memory and various improvements. The main UI will not open before about 50% in the loading screen.

I also noticed I left some testing code so I suggest you stay away from ALT K unless you want your game (and potentially your PC) to crash after a few minutes.

Will this work on 1.0.5? I ask because CKAN wants me to update the version I am using on 1.0.5, it also says max version is 1.0.99...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.